ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Mother’s Day Irish Alice

…..to my knowledge, Irish Alice is the only mother posting here, with consistently good posts to boot, year after year. Wishing you a Happy Mother’s Day, and hope that your “pops” is still fighting the good fight!
Thank you! Yesterday was a very bittersweet Mother's Day as my Pops passed away early in the morning. I am sure there was a huge family reunion as he entered the Pearly Gates. My pops was the ultimate girls dad long before it was a thing. My love of sports and Notre Dame came him even though he was born in Delphos, Ohio and a Buckeye fan. He was a Sargent in the Army Air Corps in W.W. 2 and was part of a team that readied planes for the D. Day invasion. He could take apart anything and put it back together...plus design and build machine at the factory he worked at for 38 years and then consulted for the company. He was married to my mom for 71 years and very active in our church. For the times he was considered an older father as my parents were married for quite sometime before adopting me and several years later my sister. God gave me the best parents ever. Saying goodbye is never easy, but knowing how happy he was to see my sweet mama again is priceless.

Last edited:
Also for any Buckeye fans reading this thread. My Pop's loved Ohio and all of his Buckeye loving extended family. We even stopped at OSU on our way to visit my grandmother in Akron one year. I have seen the Horseshoe. BUT...come September my Pops will root from Heaven for the Irish! Just call me the Irish Whisper when it comes to converting rival fans...😉

Last edited:
Reactions: theskibro
Thank you! Yesterday was a very bittersweet Mother's Day as my Pops passed away early in the morning. I am sure there was a huge family reunion as he entered the Pearly Gates. My pops was the ultimate girls dad long before it was a thing. My love of sports and Notre Dame came him even though he was born in Delphos, Ohio and a Buckeye fan. He was a Sargent in the Army Air Corps in W.W. 2 and was part of a team that readied planes for the D. Day invasion. He could take apart anything and put it back together...plus design and build machine at the factory he worked at for 38 years and then consulted for the company. He was married to my mom for 71 years and very active in our church. For the times he was considered an older father as my parents were married for quite sometime before adopting me and several years later my sister. God gave me the best parents ever. Saying goodbye is never easy, but knowing how happy he was to see my sweet mama again is priceless.
What an amazing man who lived a full, wonderful life. Sorry for your loss

Reactions: irishalice
Sounds like your father was very special. We are losing way to many of these guys from the greatest generation. I’m sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

Loved every word shared and sentiment expressed. Thank you!

Alice
It’s so special to me to see poster names that go back years, decades. I enjoyed reading your post and you are a very fortunate girl to have such wonderful parents. My sincere best wishes to you and yours always

Skibro

First Class gentleman!

What a great man.i wish I had known more that generation

I echo the sentiments of others expressed here. A WWII vet and married for 71 years. Wow! And on top of all of that, he and his wife opened their hearts and gave a home to two girls. He truly lived a life in full.

Reactions: Telx1
Alice
It’s so special to me to see poster names that go back years, decades. I enjoyed reading your post and you are a very fortunate girl to have such wonderful parents. My sincere best wishes to you and yours always

Skibro
Thank you! You are right I was truly very fortunate from having great parents, great neighbors and friends and the first one on both sides of the family to earn a college degree. I was blessed!

Reactions: sluggo69
Alice , you should post more often. I have never seen a chick that can write so lucidly on sports. Yes I'm a sexist, it's in my DNA.
Thank you and thank my Pops for the lucid football posts. 😁 I just haven’t been posting due to lack of interesting topics and the blowhard bickering that hijacks every thread. This is truly the Off-season...fa-la-la-la!

I echo the sentiments of others expressed here. A WWII vet and married for 71 years. Wow! And on top of all of that, he and his wife opened their hearts and gave a home to two girls. He truly lived a life in full.
Thank you. My Pops told me several times over the few months that he and Mom had a house that became a home when I first arrived and then my sister. They had a family. I don't ever remember not knowing I was adopted and I don't ever remember not knowing that I was chosen. 🙂

Of course, I am still here. I am just not finding much to comment on.
I will say this...back in 2014 the Irish were 24 point dogs to FSU. Needless to say Vegas was wrong. Don't sleep on the Irish against OSU!!!
55 to 37 Irish defeat the buckeyes ! Tyler Buchner starts his Heisman campaign ! ELITE !

Wonderful obit Alice, what a great tribute!!
Thank you. Pops had a funeral he would have liked. The pastor began his remarks with a couple of stories (and trust me there are a lot of stories) about Pops growing up in during the depression in Ohio. Plenty of folks there that loved him as much as we did.

Reactions: sluggo69
ADVERTISEMENT