ADVERTISEMENT

Great Wimbush Article

Cute stats. Difference being he will be playing with future pros at Michigan. Ole miss, not so much

Ole Miss has future pro’s at every position group on offense in 2017.

It’s not clear that Michigan has even 1 future pro on offense. Lol

A few comments. A Harbaugh offense does not need great offensive talent. Just a bunch of blocky catchy dudes. The 2016 offense was composed of one Olineman who was drafted this year, two late round draft choices at receiver and one really good TE. If Speight could generate a 135 QB rating with that situation, I think Patterson can also. It is also not like they did not have line problems. After Newsome nearly lost his leg during the Wisc game UM was forced to play Bredeson as a natural guard at RT. I think the problem was the Greg Frey experiment just did not work out. Power guys can't zone block.

If you are interested much of the Ole Miss verses Vandy and Alabama games are up on mgoblog. After watching some of the video I can't really see where someone can claim that Ole Miss had a better line Oline. Bama just destroyed them up front. Maybe they got better. But Bama had had multiple rushers busting free right up the middle. Sort of looked like Michigan.

Ole Miss’s OL isn’t just better than Michigan’s, it’s tons better. Not even comparable really.

Ole mad has a 1st Rounder at LT, arguably the best OT in all of CFB.

Michigan doesn’t matter even have an actual OT, just 5 average-to-bad OG’s and a DT.

Everyone with a brain knows that Ole Miss has MUCH better talent on offense than Michigan.

The BUG in 2017 was tougher than normal so it's understandable that Michigan's record would be worse than normal.

Fact is he put up good numbers vs bad teams. When playing above average opponents he simply looked bad.

Under .500 completion % is a bad look for a starting ND QB.

Michigan will put a spy on him and force him to throw the ball. Hope you have a good RB
Good luck defending the MOF Hook zone with a spy.

milk, appreciate your spirit. At least you are not an idiotic troll like bubba. Fall camp has not even arrived yet. So no one know for sure what the teams will be like on sept 1. That said, I think we can agree there were issues with both QB's that need upgrading., on the Michigan side lots of interceptions and the ability to win a big game. Although I think Shea could be good but is not there yet. So he has work with new players that he has not know over a period of time and then be familiar enough that the interception ratio goes down. BW had an accuracy problem and a confidence problem towards the end of the year. BW had a 49% completion ration. Apparently 2 more catches per game by BW throwing better or the WR's doing their jobs better would have put Wimbush in the 60+ %. I think that is very doable. As far a confidence It seems he has beaten that ghost. As far as over all offenses

Michigan has struggled except against teams that had good defenses and thus showed their qb problems. Also the offensive plays seemed predictable so that made it easier for all D's. This year schedule helps a little. Where most early games are against teams except 1 (Irish) are lower tier programs. That will help michigan get consistency in their offense. Notre Dame's offense was pretty good over all remember an increase in 2 pass reception per game apparently changes everything. The run game was outstanding. the questions will come in at RB this year more that what michigan fans think the QB. I think WB will be fine and passing will be better. Since a number of players at the RB position chose to be stupid they are off the team. So the Irish have to replace them. On D we all heard how great the D was from the troll Bubba. However, Michigan went 8-5 and did not beat one top team with their vaunted D. Scar, OSU, Wis, MSU, and PSU. Yes it was part the michigan offense but the D may have been overhyped and stats based on beating teams that you should may be misleading. Notre Dame D on the hand was solid not great had some weaknesses at safety that were exploited by teams whom they lost to. Overall Notre Dame's D was on the rise. This year's D should be better than Solid. Also, Notre Dame's schedule as usual was much more difficult than Michigan's so our stats overall may have been skewed also.
I'm not saying there were problems last year. Part of being a good predictor in any field is using the statistics to make case or if one is a sports better(I am not) to make money. Though I use these same techniques in figuring out my fantasy football teams in my league. Optimism sans reality is no good. Just because I troll and say ND and Wimbush suck does no good when the inevitable day comes and the teams play.

I will use a good Guns Germs & Steel analogy. One of the most gut wrenching seasons for me as a Michigan fan was 2011. Brady Hoke and his staff made terrible mistake after mistake. Yet UM kept winning, and winning, and winning. Everyone is all happy except me. I'm the guy in 2006 freaking out because the mortgage bubble is about to pop. Everyone is so excited about Hoke bringing back Michigan Man football, except my stomach was churning? Why because I knew we were incredibly lucky. The stats do not lie. Yeah, if you look at wins and losses, well there is enough variance in football a bad coach can look good. After the Sugar Bowl victory while my homer friends are dancing about the return of Michigan football, I knew we were screwed.

UM lucked out because Notre Dame's corners could not defend jump balls, every fumble Michigan had was recovered by Michigan and every fumble by the opposition was recovered by Michigan. Fumble recovery rate is a 50/50 proposition. Then in some key games guys dropped wide open passes, fell down, or missed kicks. Brady Hoke for one year was the luckiest guy on the planet. Braxton Miller overthrows a wide open receiver for the game winning TD and VTECH has a million things go wrong and still barely loses.

So when I look at statistics I'm doing the same thing I did in 2011. Nothing is set in stone. But what I see makes me think UM has a pretty good chance to beat ND.

Reactions: tbonesays
I'm not saying there were problems last year. Part of being a good predictor in any field is using the statistics to make case or if one is a sports better(I am not) to make money. Though I use these same techniques in figuring out my fantasy football teams in my league. Optimism sans reality is no good. Just because I troll and say ND and Wimbush suck does no good when the inevitable day comes and the teams play.

I will use a good Guns Germs & Steel analogy. One of the most gut wrenching seasons for me as a Michigan fan was 2011. Brady Hoke and his staff made terrible mistake after mistake. Yet UM kept winning, and winning, and winning. Everyone is all happy except me. I'm the guy in 2006 freaking out because the mortgage bubble is about to pop. Everyone is so excited about Hoke bringing back Michigan Man football, except my stomach was churning? Why because I knew we were incredibly lucky. The stats do not lie. Yeah, if you look at wins and losses, well there is enough variance in football a bad coach can look good. After the Sugar Bowl victory while my homer friends are dancing about the return of Michigan football, I knew we were screwed.

UM lucked out because Notre Dame's corners could not defend jump balls, every fumble Michigan had was recovered by Michigan and every fumble by the opposition was recovered by Michigan. Fumble recovery rate is a 50/50 proposition. Then in some key games guys dropped wide open passes, fell down, or missed kicks. Brady Hoke for one year was the luckiest guy on the planet. Braxton Miller overthrows a wide open receiver for the game winning TD and VTECH has a million things go wrong and still barely loses.

So when I look at statistics I'm doing the same thing I did in 2011. Nothing is set in stone. But what I see makes me think UM has a pretty good chance to beat ND.

That Day it was Michigan's that happens

I don't ever see Wimbushing learning to get better. You can tell by looking in his eyes he will never figure it out.

I don't ever see Wimbushing learning to get better. You can tell by looking in his eyes he will never figure it out.
I agree. Not much fire in the belly, maybe the moment is too big, or maybe that's just his personality. Too calm at times imo, BK even said that himself. Tebow, Winston, Jake Fromm, Cardale Jones, Mayfield, Manziel all had the fire in the belly. It isn't necessary, guys like Mariota didn't have it. But in college it really helps.

I agree. Not much fire in the belly, maybe the moment is too big, or maybe that's just his personality. Too calm at times imo, BK even said that himself. Tebow, Winston, Jake Fromm, Cardale Jones, Mayfield, Manziel all had the fire in the belly. It isn't necessary, guys like Mariota didn't have it. But in college it really helps.
There was fire in the belly at the Alamo.

How did that work out ?

All good QBs have situational awareness. Wimbush doesnt even know the play half the time. Ian Book is young but hopefully he deveops more smarts at the position, he can play pretty forceful, but most college QBs do. Unless we run a lot of option this year I dont see why Wimbush should be the the starter. Having a big arm isnt that important.

All good QBs have situational awareness. Wimbush doesnt even know the play half the time. Ian Book is young but hopefully he deveops more smarts at the position, he can play pretty forceful, but most college QBs do. Unless we run a lot of option this year I dont see why Wimbush should be the the starter. Having a big arm isnt that important.
Could be the 30 TDs to 6 interceptions, just a guess.

the dumbing down of the board continues.

ADVERTISEMENT