ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday and Fox Big Noon Saturday Crew at Same Game

Chitownrealist

Shakes Down The Thunder
Dec 27, 2006
Is this the first time for this since Fox has made a move for these noon kickoffs (2019) that both major college crews will be announcing from the same stadium? Fox says will be on site for first 4 games of season so it appears there will be a turf war at soldier field. Man I hope we win this. Hate baby-chesseheads.

Is this the first time for this since Fox has made a move for these noon kickoffs (2019) that both major college crews will be announcing from the same stadium? Fox says will be on site for first 4 games of season so it appears there will be a turf war at soldier field. Man I hope we win this. Hate baby-chesseheads.
FOX is rolling out the red carpet for Notre Dame. They know the Irish are the best team in America this year !

Unfortunately, the campus atmosphere and electricity will be missing !
Chicago is loaded with Irish and Wisky fans. The atmosphere will be pretty good, but the early kickoff and the limitations of Soldier Field tailgating will be hard to overcome. I just really want us to win. Maybe telling really big highly recruited OL they are being disrespected like never before can motivate them a little. Hope so.

I’m guessing the Fox booth will get the prime real estate since it’s their game but Gameday will command the larger following outside. Will be interesting to see. CBS and SEC don’t really have a gameday live crew so don’t have this issue with SEC games. ESPN just shows up outside and that’s it. This will be interesting to watch.

I don't recall this ever happening before so I'll watch both. GO IRISH and roll Wisky.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Not sure on Fox and ESPN but as we all know, firsts are a ND tradition so it would not surprise me.

I think a night game in Chicago would be great, but Chi town these days does not seem travel friendly unless you have an armored car and private security like the mayor.

This is the first real test of our 2021 product. Let’s see how she does. Go Irish!!

An 11 AM CT start is brutal IMO, but then it certainly leaves time post game to keep the tailgate/bar hopping going, while it's still daylight in Chicago anyway.

FOX likes "Big Noon" and I guess they will captivate that window with this game. There's only two ranked matchups this weekend, Notre Dame vs Wisconsin and Texas A&M vs Arkansas (3:30 CBS), both neutral site games as well. The night game on ABC is WVU at Oklahoma.

Trying to decide if I want to go to that game or not.
I’m going, but frankly, would rather stay home and watch. Tix were a bday gift. Nonetheless, the 11am start makes it tough, your whole Saturday is essentially burned. Thinking about staying downtown Friday night, but the appeal of “a Friday night out in Chicago” isn’t what it once was.

Reactions: ftnfan62 and BM16
I’m going, but frankly, would rather stay home and watch. Tix were a bday gift. Nonetheless, the 11am start makes it tough, your whole Saturday is essentially burned. Thinking about staying downtown Friday night, but the appeal of “a Friday night out in Chicago” isn’t what it once was.
Ya I was thinking the same thing of going in Friday night. I don't have tickets but was just checking out stub hub. 150 the cheapest in the nose bleed seats. My son really wants to go but think I'm gonna pass. That's at least a five hundred dollar weekend.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Ya I was thinking the same thing of going in Friday night. I don't have tickets but was just checking out stub hub. 150 the cheapest in the nose bleed seats. My son really wants to go but think I'm gonna pass. That's at least a five hundred dollar weekend.
It’s a tough call. Going can be fun, but the broadcast, some good food, and the comfort of your own home has appeal too!

Last edited:
Not sure on Fox and ESPN but as we all know, firsts are a ND tradition so it would not surprise me.

I think a night game in Chicago would be great, but Chi town these days does not seem travel friendly unless you have an armored car and private security like the mayor.

This is the first real test of our 2021 product. Let’s see how she does. Go Irish!!
Every game will be a first test until playoff time. Notre Dame is going to continue to win but win ugly. The fans need to get with it or get left out !

Go. More ND fans there the better

Chicago is loaded with Irish and Wisky fans. The atmosphere will be pretty good, but the early kickoff and the limitations of Soldier Field tailgating will be hard to overcome. I just really want us to win. Maybe telling really big highly recruited OL they are being disrespected like never before can motivate them a little. Hope so.

I’m guessing the Fox booth will get the prime real estate since it’s their game but Gameday will command the larger following outside. Will be interesting to see. CBS and SEC don’t really have a gameday live crew so don’t have this issue with SEC games. ESPN just shows up outside and that’s it. This will be interesting to watch.
They started playing after they got screamed at after the first possession. Apparently Quinn went ape on them and they played better the rest of the game. I didn't know why it takes that to get motivated to play better when the entire nation is bashing them for their terrible play. You'd think their pride would kick in a little.

I know it’s early in the week, but what are your thoughts on game??
I'm surprised we are 5.5 pt dogs I'll say that. I havent been impressed with Wisconsins offense. The only way Wisconsin wins is close. They dont have the talent to win big against us.

I see this as a lower scoring game, Wisconsin has a solid D but they dont have the athletes in the back end. Can we protect enough to set up the big play downfield. I think there will be spots when we can take advantage of them, the question is can we execute and hit on them.

I think our D will play well. They dont have the weapons at wr to beat us deep. If we are stout agaibst the run it will be a long day for them

If we had a solid OL or if they play well, Id pick us to win comfortably. We dont. Which makes this game closer than it should be. We are the better team, more talented, we just need the OL to be solid and we win

Jack is capable of throwing the quick pass to either receivers or running backs after a couple of steps across the line of scrimmage. That quick pass negates whatever offensive line weakness exists....and gives the defense something else to defend...which thins out the rush. ND was effective mixing those plays in, and actually made the long ball more effective. One dimensional Jack dropping back is just putting a bullseye on his back. If he can't run...and basically he can't...then mix up the passing game and get rid of the ball fast....I want the opponents defense thinking about as many options as possible....it makes each one that much more effective.
I'm glad the quick pass appeared in the Purdue game playbook. Other OCs may have just demanded that the OL block better.

Since the disaster of 2016 BK's teams have made a habit of winning the games they should win. I don't think that ends with Wisky. ND 27-17.

Last edited:
I did some checking and found another game that the two networks sent their kickoff shows to the same game site. Penn State vs Ohio State on November 23, 2019 at Columbus, Ohio.

"On November 23, 2019, the show scheduled an on-location edition from Columbus, Ohio for the Ohio State/Penn State rivalry game, which ESPN also chose as its site for College GameDay that week"---Wikipedia

Reactions: BM16
I was wondering why Gameday didn't try to stick it out and wait for Cincinnati at Notre Dame. But I peeked ahead to week 5 and Ole Miss @ Alabama is that weekend so they will probably go there.

Do you think ESPN really wants to send Gameday to the home of NBC twice in one year?

Last edited:
I'm surprised we are 5.5 pt dogs I'll say that. I havent been impressed with Wisconsins offense. The only way Wisconsin wins is close. They dont have the talent to win big against us.

I see this as a lower scoring game, Wisconsin has a solid D but they dont have the athletes in the back end. Can we protect enough to set up the big play downfield. I think there will be spots when we can take advantage of them, the question is can we execute and hit on them.

I think our D will play well. They dont have the weapons at wr to beat us deep. If we are stout agaibst the run it will be a long day for them

If we had a solid OL or if they play well, Id pick us to win comfortably. We dont. Which makes this game closer than it should be. We are the better team, more talented, we just need the OL to be solid and we win
Now 6.5

Do you think ESPN really wants to send Gameday to the home of NBC twice in one year?
What other potential game on the schedule would Gameday come to South Bend for?

I don't see one besides Cincy, but they're not going to feature ND back to back weeks on Gameday.

ADVERTISEMENT