ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen And breakout players

francade

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 15, 2003
Which ones contribute early on?

I have a feeling Bauer & griffith play a lot, and early. As for players that have not played at all or very little that will be big contributors. I’d go w/ bilal & mdt on defense & Armstrong & kmet on offense. Who’s everybody got?

That’s funny, he was a candidate of mine going into his sophomore year. He never materialized.

That’s funny, he was a candidate of mine going into his sophomore year. He never materialized.
You weren't alone. I think Khalid Kareem and Troy Pride have break out years. Kevin Austin has a great rookie season. Maybe C'bo gets some action

I have a feeling Bauer & griffith play a lot, and early. As for players that have not played at all or very little that will be big contributors. I’d go w/ bilal & mdt on defense & Armstrong & kmet on offense. Who’s everybody got?

I think Griffith plays a lot, but I think the only way Bauer plays a lot of snaps this year is if there is a significant injury to one of the top 3 inside backers...

Breakout Players...

Miles Boykin
Michael Young
Liam Eichenberg
Cole Kmet
Jonathan Jones
Troy Pride
Alohi Gillman

Significant Freshman Contributors...

Kevin Austin
Jayson Ademilola
Shayne Simon
Houston Griffith
Derrik Allen

I think Griffith plays a lot, but I think the only way Bauer plays a lot of snaps this year is if there is a significant injury to one of the top 3 inside backers...

Breakout Players...

Miles Boykin
Michael Young
Liam Eichenberg
Cole Kmet
Jonathan Jones
Troy Pride
Alohi Gillman

Significant Freshman Contributors...

Kevin Austin
Jayson Ademilola
Shayne Simon
Houston Griffith
Derrik Allen
IIO...I keep expecting Chase to explode on the scene. His size and athleticism and speed are elite, and he has shown the ability to make difficult catches in traffic , etc.... and yet he is wildly inconsistent and disappears for big chunks of time. He’s been in the program long enough to have developed from his raw recruit status to elite contributor. I keep reading references like immature and lacks focus and not fully committed, etc... and wonder if you have any insight on this.

IIO...I keep expecting Chase to explode on the scene. His size and athleticism and speed are elite, and he has shown the ability to make difficult catches in traffic , etc.... and yet he is wildly inconsistent and disappears for big chunks of time. He’s been in the program long enough to have developed from his raw recruit status to elite contributor. I keep reading references like immature and lacks focus and not fully committed, etc... and wonder if you have any insight on this.

Consistency is the problem there

My opinion on his inconsistent play is that this is the first time in his life that he has had to focus and try hard to better than everyone. He's a great kid and a freak athlete. Everytime he steps on the field he's a superior athlete in size, strength and speed, to the defender responsible for him, but he has to match their compete level.

Ability is not in question when it comes to Chase. We've watched him make crazy catches and block defensive backs into their grave, but he has to play like he's better than everyone else for the entire game. Every snap.

And it's not all on him... Brandon needs to help him out, or at the very least, throw some passes up to give Chase a chance.

My opinion on his inconsistent play is that this is the first time in his life that he has had to focus and try hard to better than everyone. He's a great kid and a freak athlete. Everytime he steps on the field he's a superior athlete in size, strength and speed, to the defender responsible for him, but he has to match their compete level.

Ability is not in question when it comes to Chase. We've watched him make crazy catches and block defensive backs into their grave, but he has to play like he's better than everyone else for the entire game. Every snap.

And it's not all on him... Brandon needs to help him out, or at the very least, throw some passes up to give Chase a chance.

It is kind of a symbiotic relationship this year the QB's and WR's need. Boykin and Claypool need to help Wimbush and Wimbush needs to help them. It seemed last year Saint-Brown and some other players were not helping Wimbush through effort. Wimbush on the other hand was missing wide open receivers probably because of a combination of poor technique and as he played more lack of confidence. IMO, if WB has got his mojo back we will see the new and Existing WR's like Chase have great seasons. Partly because of Wimbush and partly because we are losing the players that did not put the effort in.

I'm genuine in saying that I think Chase could be as good as Larry Fitzgerald if he focused and if he gets QB help.

I like him too but c'mon now. You're putting him in the same breath with arguably the most fundamentally sound receiver of all time ,work ethic included.

I should clarify that I'm referring to the college version of Fitzgerald. I'm not suggesting that he'll develop like Fitz did at the NFL level, into a top 10 WR ever, but I think he could be similar in skill set and production to Fitz at Pitt, if he gets quality QB play.

I should clarify that I'm referring to the college version of Fitzgerald. I'm not suggesting that he'll develop like Fitz did at the NFL level, into a top 10 WR ever, but I think he could be similar in skill set and production to Fitz at Pitt, if he gets quality QB play.
Anyone else find it odd how many great players Pitt has put in the NFL? Same with Cal

Reactions: Potbelly407

Chase is a Canadian. They lack the mental toughness Americans have. MAGA !

If he becomes a quarter of the player Fitzgerald was in college I'll be thrilled.

Reactions: Pennick4
Chase is a Canadian. They lack the mental toughness Americans have. MAGA !
Pulling Strings I see. Actually had a couple hundred Canadian IT employees in the 90’s, and they were simply outstanding. To a person, Excellent work ethic, mentally tough minded with excellent educational foundation, and exceptionally loyal. Generally Love the Canadian people and their major cities. I’ll be spending two weeks in Eastern Canada in four weeks to celebrate my wife’s birthday.

Pulling Strings I see. Actually had a couple hundred Canadian IT employees in the 90’s, and they were simply outstanding. To a person, Excellent work ethic, mentally tough minded with excellent educational foundation, and exceptionally loyal. Generally Love the Canadian people and their major cities. I’ll be spending two weeks in Eastern Canada in four weeks to celebrate my wife’s birthday.

Telx He is trying to get a rise out of IIO

I’m confused?
Do we (America) have a problem with Canada I’m not aware of? I spent a lot of time with my fellow North Americans while I was in the military. They’re cool. Let’s move on...

Reactions: chitown sot
If he becomes a quarter of the player Fitzgerald was in college I'll be thrilled.

25% Echo!? I'm confident you're going to be thrilled if Brandon gets his shit together!

I know that 90+ catches, 1600+ yards and 22 touchdowns (Fitz's sophomore campaign) is outrageous, and I know that production won't be duplicated, but I think Chase has the ability to be similarily undefendable. He's just such a specimen.

Last edited:
Reactions: zonairish

Where abouts are you heading Telx1? Out to the Maritimes? Or you off to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Quebec City?

I’m confused?
Do we (America) have a problem with Canada I’m not aware of? I spent a lot of time with my fellow North Americans while I was in the military. They’re cool. Let’s move on...

Spend a ton of time working with my American counterparts in the military. Civilians would be impressed at how well we work together. It's a near symbiotic relationship.

25% Echo!? I'm confident you're going to be thrilled if Brandon gets his shit together!

I know that 90+ catches, 1600+ yards and 22 touchdowns (Fitz's sophomore campaign) is outrageous, and I know that production won't be duplicated, but I think Chase has the ability to be similarily undefendable. He's just such a specimen.
Fitz brings it every single solitary play no matter what his assignment is. I look beyond the numbers. Not arguing claypool physical potential but he's far, far from a complete player.

Where abouts are you heading Telx1? Out to the Maritimes? Or you off to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Quebec City?
Flying into Toronto, renting a car, spending a few nights in Toronto with side trip to Niagara Falls, then onto Ottawa, then to Old Quebec City and finishing at Montreal. Eleven days is hardly enough time to really see and enjoy, but my wife has never seen this part of Canada, and wanted to give her a good introduction. I’ve not been to Old Qudec City.

Reactions: echowaker
Flying into Toronto, renting a car, spending a few nights in Toronto with side trip to Niagara Falls, then onto Ottawa, then to Old Quebec City and finishing at Montreal. Eleven days is hardly enough time to really see and enjoy, but my wife has never seen this part of Canada, and wanted to give her a good introduction. I’ve not been to Old Qudec City.

You're in for a treat. Quebec City is beautiful. Awesome place for a vacation. Anythingnin particular you planned / booked / are looking forward too?

I live in Ottawa so I know the Ottawa / Gatineau / Montreal corridor like that back of my hand.

Reactions: echowaker

Not to mention Fitz WAS the Pitt passing offense. There are too many weapons for ND to rely on Chase solely. However he needs to be dominate when they go to him.

IMO the bar for chase should be 60 catches 800 yards and 7 tds if he plays 13 games. Significantly less i don't think bodes well for ND this year. I also think he could be a monster and put up 80 receptions 1300 yds and 14 tds.

Reactions: IrishMike409
You're in for a treat. Quebec City is beautiful. Awesome place for a vacation. Anythingnin particular you planned / booked / are looking forward too?

I live in Ottawa so I know the Ottawa / Gatineau / Montreal corridor like that back of my hand.
In Ottawa, We plan to spend time on Parliament Hill and then also ND Basilica and the War Museum. Probably use the hop on hop off bus tour for this. We’re Staying in Old Quebec City when we get to Quebec, and focus will be enjoying the old city and taking in the Citadel and Battlefield Park and Place Royals. Plan is to drop off the car when we get to Old Quebec City where we spend three nights, and then we are taking a chauffeured limo from Old Quebec City to Montreal and having a couple hour driving tour of Montreal before we check into Old Montreal where we spend two nights. Do you have any suggestions in addition to these, especially on the drive from Toronto to Ottawa and from Ottawa to Quebec?

In Ottawa, We plan to spend time on Parliament Hill and then also ND Basilica and the War Museum. Probably use the hop on hop off bus tour for this. We’re Staying in Old Quebec City when we get to Quebec, and focus will be enjoying the old city and taking in the Citadel and Battlefield Park and Place Royals. Plan is to drop off the car when we get to Old Quebec City where we spend three nights, and then we are taking a chauffeured limo from Old Quebec City to Montreal and having a couple hour driving tour of Montreal before we check into Old Montreal where we spend two nights. Do you have any suggestions in addition to these, especially on the drive from Toronto to Ottawa and from Ottawa to Quebec?

Honestly, that sounds like a packed 11 days, so I probably wouldn't throw anything else on your plate but there are tons of things to do in the Ottawa area. Gatineau provincial park is incredible. The Nature museum is great. I have some awesome food suggestions at various price ranges. There is really good barbecue at the Smoque Shack in the market. A good friend of mine is the head chef there. Sterling steakhouse on the Gatineau side of the Ottawa river is world class. You can sit on their patio, overlooking the river and Parliament, for lunch or dinner and they'll really take care of you. If you or your wife are wine drinkers, they have one of the best selections in Canada. Bottles ranging from $40 to $75,000.

A real hidden gem on your way down highway 401 east bound from Toronto to Ottawa is a place called Whispering Springs wilderness retreat. It's located in Grafton, and it's essentially high end, luxury camping with 4 star room quality tents, your own hammock, barbecue, deck and use of the pool, couples massages, etc, etc... It's a unique spot in Algonquin park and it's quiet and beautiful... Not sure if something like that would interest you guys for a night, but here is the link. My fiance and I loved it!

https://www.whisperingsprings.ca

Also, if you have time while you're in Ottawa, go see an Ottawa Redblacks game at Lansdowne Park. It's really affordable, the beer is cold, and CFL football is fun live. Worth the experience. It's no weekend in South Bend, but it's great for what it is.

Last edited:
Honestly, that sounds like a packed 11 days, so I probably wouldn't throw anything else on your plate but there are tons of things to do in the Ottawa area. Gatineau provincial park is incredible. The Nature museum is great. I have some awesome food suggestions at various price ranges. There is really good barbecue at the Smoque Shack in the market. A good friend of mine is the head chef there. Sterling steakhouse on the Gatineau side of the Ottawa river is world class. You can sit on their patio, overlooking the river and Parliament, for lunch or dinner and they'll really take care of you. If you or your wife are wine drinkers, they have one of the best selections in Canada. Bottles ranging from $40 to $75,000.

A real hidden gem on your way down highway 401 east bound from Toronto to Ottawa is a place called Whispering Springs wilderness retreat. It's located in Grafton, and it's essentially high end, luxury camping with 4 star room quality tents, your own hammock, barbecue, deck and use of the pool, couples massages, etc, etc... It's a unique spot in Algonquin park and it's quiet and beautiful... Not sure if something like that would interest you guys for a night, but here is the link. My fiance and I loved it!

https://www.whisperingsprings.ca

Also, if you have time while you're in Ottawa, go see an Ottawa Redblacks game at Lansdowne Park. It's really affordable, the beer is cold, and CFL football is fun live. Worth the experience. It's no weekend in South Bend, but it's great for what it is.
Thanks IIO....Appreciate the suggestions, and will very likely take in Stirling Steakhouse the one night we’re in Ottawa. Patio dining overlooking water with great food and wine is high on our list of things we enjoy! The $75,000 bottle of wine is a bit out of our price range, but sure to find a bold Canadian red to our liking.

Thanks IIO....Appreciate the suggestions, and will very likely take in Stirling Steakhouse the one night we’re in Ottawa. Patio dining overlooking water with great food and wine is high on our list of things we enjoy! The $75,000 bottle of wine is a bit out of our price range, but sure to find a bold Canadian red to our liking.

Enjoy!

Tariq Bracy will be a National phenom

Larry and Chase don't belong in the same sentence..period.

Reactions: chitown sot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT