ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman Top 4 Hot Seat Coaches

IrishBeer

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 6, 2021
According to bookings.com, Freeman came in as 4th most likely coach to be fired. Thoughts? Will the recruiting save him? I agree, it will be hard to fire a guy if he actually lands a top 5 class and presumably can repeat similar in 2024. But, will that lead to wins? This years team is super talented and lost to Marshall. USC had top 5 classes year after year after year and their program was terrible. USC had losing records with Georgia level talent. Player development and coaching is far far more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: erborgeson
According to bookings.com, Freeman came in as 4th most likely coach to be fired. Thoughts? Will the recruiting save him? I agree, it will be hard to fire a guy if he actually lands a top 5 class and presumably can repeat similar in 2024. But, will that lead to wins? This years team is super talented and lost to Marshall. USC had top 5 classes year after year after year and their program was terrible. USC had losing records with Georgia level talent. Player development and coaching is far far more important.

"This years team is super talented and lost to Marshall"

While there is mega talent on this team, we all knew pain points were coming -- QB was one, WR depth was another, RB was a 3rd. Plus, not knowing how Rees would call a game now that Kelly was out of his shadow as a big question mark.

This was not a "typical" Marshall team -- of close to 48 "new faces" to the program, over 20 were D1 transfers, 11 of the 4-5 star caliber. As USC has shown, a team can build up faster and faster now with the portal. In addition, I would suspect that ND was suffering a severe mental letdown after a physical game vs OSU (similar to last year vs FSU). You cannot say that Marshall did not have talent. You (and many ND fans alike) are ticked over the stigma of losing to a Sun Belt Conference team.

"Player development and coaching is far far more important"

This -- we can agree on! While we all do not know what goes on in practice sessions, the product on Saturday's reveals a lot.

Last edited:
Not a snowball's chance in HEdoublehockeysticks that CMF is fired.
agree. He gets minimum 3 years; and he should; only non football or political considerations would instigate a termination.

agree. He gets minimum 3 years; and he should; only non football or political considerations would instigate a termination.
So being a horrible coach is not enough?
Do you REALLY believe that or are you talking from a PC point of view?
We ALL know why Freeman will not be fired unless ND actually goes win less which now will not happen.

So being a horrible coach is not enough?
Do you REALLY believe that or are you talking from a PC point of view?
We ALL know why Freeman will not be fired unless ND actually goes win less which now will not happen.
Well, frankly I have reason, beyond the sport, to look upon his situation with some suspicion. Football considerations have shown ND is slow to act / react in these situations. So, unless he resigns, he’s at ND minimum 3 years. JMO: he develops into a fine Head Coach.

Well, frankly I have reason, beyond the sport, to look upon his situation with some suspicion. Football considerations have shown ND is slow to act / react in these situations. So, unless he resigns, he’s at ND minimum 3 years. JMO: he develops into a fine Head Coach.
I doubt he develops into a fine head coach. The hit rate on successful head coaches is about 3-4% given there are about 5-10 great coaches and 130 not so great ones. Being a first timer and the way things have started thus far (enormous regression in a short time), I'd put his chances at being great at about <1%. But, who knows. Shock the world and gamble it all is ND's mantra here. Ask the athletic directors at USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami, FSU, Nebraska that gambled on less than proven coaches if it's meaningful to go big and proven with head coaches or take your chances with unproven "talent". All we can do is hope. Some just like to hope more than others.

Freeman won't be successful if the current assistant coaching staff remains status quo. He will need to acquire an experienced offensive coordinator who can also recruit at a level greater than what is. He said that "everything" is being looked at with a "critical" eye. We shall see.

0% chance. 4 year minimum even if 4 wins or less each season. It scared the hell out of me when he said Cal postgame that we can expect to see a lot more of that moving forward. I believe him. The flesh is willing, but experience is sorely lacking.

Ty Willingham part deux in all ways

Saturday we get to see what a veteran coach that has less talent can do against a young questionable hire.

I doubt he develops into a fine head coach. The hit rate on successful head coaches is about 3-4% given there are about 5-10 great coaches and 130 not so great ones. Being a first timer and the way things have started thus far (enormous regression in a short time), I'd put his chances at being great at about <1%. But, who knows. Shock the world and gamble it all is ND's mantra here. Ask the athletic directors at USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami, FSU, Nebraska that gambled on less than proven coaches if it's meaningful to go big and proven with head coaches or take your chances with unproven "talent". All we can do is hope. Some just like to hope more than others.
This team looks exactly like last year after 3 games. There isn't enormous regression. Difference is last year had jack coan and this team doesn't. Other than that it's the same team except the D is playing better now than the beginning of last year

No chance

Reactions: Pennick4
The 5 teams with the most playoff appearances are Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, OU, and Georgia. Look at all those proven head coaches in that group.

This team looks exactly like last year after 3 games. There isn't enormous regression. Difference is last year had jack coan and this team doesn't. Other than that it's the same team except the D is playing better now than the beginning of last year
^^^ this

Close shaves at home vs Toledo, Ball State, Navy? Great effort but inept offense vs Georgia on the road? If this doesn’t look familiar then you haven’t been paying attention.

Saban lost to Louisiana Lafayette his first year. Dabo was 6-6
How have Saban and Dabo done since then ?

Why would you introduce a fraudulent parallel that profers that Freeman will follow in their footsteps ?

Why would you introduce a fraudulent parallel that profers that Freeman will follow in their footsteps ?
Everyone has been anointing him Dabo Swinney and Lincoln Riley since the day he was hired. He’s much more likely Clay Helton. Statistics on failed coaches don’t lie.

Why would you introduce a fraudulent parallel that profers that Freeman will follow in their footsteps
Oh okay. Because you’re reality is the only truth right? My point is that you don’t know what’s gonna happen. They wanted Dabo gone at one point.

Oh okay. Because you’re reality is the only truth right? My point is that you don’t know what’s gonna happen. They wanted Dabo gone at one point.
My reality is reality, you’re projecting that MF will follow in Saban’s and Dabo’s footsteps because they all started off poorly, are you crazy or just dumb ?

That’s about as absurd and unrealistic as you can get.

You might want to look at the teams that Saban and Dabo inherited, compared to what Freeman inherited before you make any more ridiculous comparisons.

Click bait article written after the Marshall game.

There is no football related scenario he’s gone after 1 year. I do see a possibility that he’s gone after year 2 if Swarbrick and Jenkins are serious about being good at football.

Reactions: Kelso86

No. Recruiting doesn’t mean squat unless you have an elite coach. Evidence is USC and Texas for years. They sucked and out recruited BK often.

Day, Dabo, Riley and Smart all got their first jobs with those teams. None were proven when they got the job
Oh yeah, I remember now, Day managed to ruin Ohio States consistently top 10 program within the matter of just a few months 😂😂

Jumbo fisher lands top classes too. So….. not always the solution.

Jumbo fisher lands top classes too. So….. not always the solution.

Jimbo reinforces that it takes a total program: marketing, brand, coaching, players, sports science, facilities, an easy academic path, really a semi-pro immersion. And even then only a few schools will be elite, because all these things realistically cannot be evenly distributed among too many programs.

For me, the solution would be to hire a coach and staff that can get ND playing their A game consistently. Again, I've made peace with the fact that the ND A game might not be that of AL, OSU, and GA.

But it could be what CBK had going for the past 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT