ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman Notre Dame future Head Coach?

”Only because the best candidates will already ‘all’ be HCs.?

Wow, with your interpersonal, introspective, cognitive reasoning ability, we should not have offered Lou Holtz in ‘86. Personal note to you: Lou graduated from Kent State on a ROTC scholarship.
Huh ? Lou was a long time head coach way before ND offered him the job. Lou did play football at Kent St. Not sure about the ROTC thing though. I know guys who were in ROTC but never heard of a scholarship issued for it.

Didn't you like Jerry Faust, Bob Davie, and Charlie Weis? Nightmare times three. I guess the greatest first time head coach in college football had to be Knute Rockne.
I really liked Faust and wanted him to succeed. I remember him coming from Moeller High school. 53 to 7 just broke my heart.

Not one time did I say Freeman was the next HC at ND. I simply said if he succeeds at DC, he will get a HC job in 1-2 seasons. I don’t care if the guy stayed at Cincy or took the LSU DC job, they man will be a HC one day and could definitely be a candidate at ND.

Okay, good. And as you can see I confirmed, that in a really good case scenario the way I enumerated and which would be lovely were it to play out something like that, that I personally would be happy to promote a top coordinator, be it Freeman or Clark Lea or whoever. I'm not opposed to that at all. I don't insist on HC experience.

It just seemed like a silly thing to get into a spat about, given how Freeman is so brand new. We don't have anything to go on other than rosy scenarios we make up in our head. If you're looking for a thread topic, why don't we go over who do we think is going to start at WR next year?

Reactions: SIhoosier26
It's not as easy to get a big name coach as some think. However, Nd needs a proven track record and not an inexperience head coach. I hope BK stays around into his late sixties before retiring.
Clemson hired Dabo with no head coaching experience he did rather well. Kelly's problem is he doesn't have the Killer Instinct, and for whatever reason we can't get passes on elite players. You need an elite quarterback, Elite cornerbacks, and an elite receiver. The rest will take care of itself. We're not going to get it and Kelly probably won't win the national championship. At least not in my lifetime. Now could anotherbcoach do better than Kelly? hard to say, because they're not going to get the players Notre Dame needs either.

Clemson hired Dabo with no head coaching experience he did rather well. Kelly's problem is he doesn't have the Killer Instinct, and for whatever reason we can't get passes on elite players. You need an elite quarterback, Elite cornerbacks, and an elite receiver. The rest will take care of itself. We're not going to get it and Kelly probably won't win the national championship. At least not in my lifetime. Now could anotherbcoach do better than Kelly? hard to say, because they're not going to get the players Notre Dame needs either.
For ever Dabo Swinney there will be 10 Charlie Weis or Bob Davie. How many big time programs have no experience head coaches come in and dominate like Dabo? Saban no. Urban Meyer no.

For ever Dabo Swinney there will be 10 Charlie Weis or Bob Davie. How many big time programs have no experience head coaches come in and dominate like Dabo? Saban no. Urban Meyer no.
Dabo has the benefit of some of the best coordinators in the country, without them he wouldn't be near as successful as he has been. Jimbo was groomed for years as head coach in waiting by one of the best college football coaches of all time.

The fact that we're even having this conversation is ridiculous, Freeman hasn't even been a coordinator at the high major level yet and OP is talking about making him head coach in waiting at Notre Dame.

I'm pumped about the hire and think Freeman will be great, that said talking about him as the head coach when he hasn't even started his first season as a coordinator is the very definition of jumping the gun.

Good call on Dabo but he was an emergency interim HC when Tommy Bowden resigned halfway through the season.

Okay, good. And as you can see I confirmed, that in a really good case scenario the way I enumerated and which would be lovely were it to play out something like that, that I personally would be happy to promote a top coordinator, be it Freeman or Clark Lea or whoever. I'm not opposed to that at all. I don't insist on HC experience.

It just seemed like a silly thing to get into a spat about, given how Freeman is so brand new. We don't have anything to go on other than rosy scenarios we make up in our head. If you're looking for a thread topic, why don't we go over who do we think is going to start at WR next year?
This thread was not intended to start a “spat”. You see it’s just one ridiculous poster trying to do that.

As I stated “Just looking long term plans for Notre Dame. I definitely do not want Kelly leaving anytime soon.”

The WR topic has been talked about many times. Who would have thought bringing up future ND coaching candidates would stir such emotions???

However, as I stated, it is coming from a poster that likes to personally attack me anytime he can.

Urban no ? Did a great job at every stop including BG. Bob Stoops did ok, Lincoln Riley doing just fine too. Many others I could name also. The right guy is the right guy.

I would be happy with the second coming of Ara Parseghian (.836 winning %-1.6 loses per season). I think Northwestern's coach would do well at ND. I understand he doesn't like ND so that probably won't happen.

How about everyone is entitled to there opinion? That is all this post is, my opinion. I do not have to wait for him to coach one down on defense in order to give an opinion.
I hope he's amazing. I'm rooting for him. I'm also hoping Buchner is amazing. Yet, I'm not anointing him of anything.

Urban no ? Did a great job at every stop including BG. Bob Stoops did ok, Lincoln Riley doing just fine too. Many others I could name also. The right guy is the right guy.
I guess Chip Kelly at one point.

Coordinator at a major program {Stoops, Smart etc} is @= to HC of a MAC school.

Urban started at Bowling Green and the Utah and I sure he need those jobs before he took over at Florida.

Reactions: Pennick4
Let's see how he does as a DC first before he is anointed the next HC. Plenty of defensive coordinators came in here with the hype and were duds.

Reactions: athenaniko
Noooooo, not another “coach in waiting” thread. Wasn’t BK’s successor supposed to be Bob Diaco, than Chuck Martin, than Clark Lea. Now we’re on to Marcus Freeman. Come on we all know BK has left everything in his will to his illegitimate son, Tommy Rees. Hahahahaha.

You forgot Sanford Jr.

Pass on Freeman as HC.....

Bring on Matt Campbell

Reactions: scubastevefl
Ha Ha. Seriously though, no first time HCs again unless we're looking at a Kirby Smart level resume.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Funny, not one person mentioned Tommy Rees for a shot at HC. I guess he's not inspiring much confidence at the moment lol.

I am a big Kelly fan. As a life long ND fan I appreciate everything Kelly has done for Notre Dame. However, how much longer can Kelly stay on as the HC?

Being the ND HC has to be as stressful as being the President of the United states lol.

Coach Kelly will be 60 this season.
Saban will be 70
Orgeron will also be 60

I see Kelly leaving after after his contract expires in 2024. That is enough time for Freeman to get HC experience, then come back to ND and take the reins.

I could also see Clark Lea doing the same thing.

Just looking long term plans for Notre Dame. I definitely do not want Kelly leaving anytime soon.
Freeman hasn't even won a game yet as a defensive coordinator. He certainly recruits very well, but let's see how the defense does before he's Crown the next head football coach at Notre Dame. My concern is he leaves after two to three years for head coaching job at a decent power 5 school for 5 years and then one of those SEC teams come calling. If the NCAA had the balls to Institute legislation dealing with the type of courses that need to be taken the type of degrees that are not recognized, and make a requirement that students go to at least 75% of their classes, Notre Dame can't recruit on equal footing. However with that said, the fact that we appeared in 2 out of last 3 playoffs, is because of the staff, it's coaching, culture and support system. Not every athlete wants to go to class, and that's none. Notre Dame material at this time.

Imagine if Clemson would have thought that way ?

Well Clemson hired Dabo as the interim Coach so he got a practice run. If Kelly wants to retire mid year 2023 while Freeman as the DC and Freeman goes 7-1 by all means give Freeman a 5 year deal. I just dont want ND to hire a Coach without HC experience.

Great example of the greatness of Jesse Harper. Rockne learned a lot from his former coach; only 17 losses in 18 years.

One thing I know for sure is that you never know. I've seen programs hire successful, experienced HC (Bret Bielema and Jim Harbaugh as prime examples) that turn out to be flops. I've seen programs hire guys with no HC experience (Day and Dabo are perfect examples) that turn out to be good hires.

You just never know.

One thing I know for sure is that you never know. I've seen programs hire successful, experienced HC (Bret Bielema and Jim Harbaugh as prime examples) that turn out to be flops. I've seen programs hire guys with no HC experience (Day and Dabo are perfect examples) that turn out to be good hires.

You just never know.
We know that our school's 60 year history in hiring first time football HCs has been dismal.

You just never know.

I really wouldnt call Bielema or Harbaugh flops.

Bielema was the wrong hire, no recruiting ties to Arkansas, Texas, or the South.. His ground and pound Wisconsin Offense was a drastic change from Petrino's spread. Then put John L. Smith in between them and you're asking for a shit show. Since Bielema was fired Arkansas has only gotten worse. Arkansas is ****ed at the moment being in the same division as Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss.

Harbaugh's done an okay job at UM hasn't lived up to the hype but UM is irrelevant and OSU is on fire.

I am a big Kelly fan. As a life long ND fan I appreciate everything Kelly has done for Notre Dame. However, how much longer can Kelly stay on as the HC?

Being the ND HC has to be as stressful as being the President of the United states lol.

Coach Kelly will be 60 this season.
Saban will be 70
Orgeron will also be 60

I see Kelly leaving after after his contract expires in 2024. That is enough time for Freeman to get HC experience, then come back to ND and take the reins.

I could also see Clark Lea doing the same thing.

Just looking long term plans for Notre Dame. I definitely do not want Kelly leaving anytime soon.
That would be awesome if freeman took it from him lol

I really wouldnt call Bielema or Harbaugh flops.

Bielema was the wrong hire, no recruiting ties to Arkansas, Texas, or the South.. His ground and pound Wisconsin Offense was a drastic change from Petrino's spread. Then put John L. Smith in between them and you're asking for a shit show. Since Bielema was fired Arkansas has only gotten worse. Arkansas is ****ed at the moment being in the same division as Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss.

Harbaugh's done an okay job at UM hasn't lived up to the hype but UM is irrelevant and OSU is on fire.
I don't know, I think both have, at the very least, underperformed massively.

ADVERTISEMENT