ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman Notre Dame future Head Coach?

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
I am a big Kelly fan. As a life long ND fan I appreciate everything Kelly has done for Notre Dame. However, how much longer can Kelly stay on as the HC?

Being the ND HC has to be as stressful as being the President of the United states lol.

Coach Kelly will be 60 this season.
Saban will be 70
Orgeron will also be 60

I see Kelly leaving after after his contract expires in 2024. That is enough time for Freeman to get HC experience, then come back to ND and take the reins.

I could also see Clark Lea doing the same thing.

Just looking long term plans for Notre Dame. I definitely do not want Kelly leaving anytime soon.

I am a big Kelly fan. As a life long ND fan I appreciate everything Kelly has done for Notre Dame. However, how much longer can Kelly stay on as the HC?

Being the ND HC has to be as stressful as being the President of the United states lol.

Saban will be 70
Orgeron will also be 60

I see Kelly leaving after after his contract expires in 2024. That is enough time for Freeman to get HC experience, then come back to ND and take the reins.

Just looking long term plans for Notre Dame. I definitely do not want Kelly leaving anytime soon.
So you want him to leave and then comeback again between now and 2024?

So you want him to leave and then comeback again between now and 2024?
I think Freeman will do a great job as the ND DC. However, his goal is to be an HC. I see Freeman here only 1-2 years then he get a HC job. If he stays until 2024 when Kelly's contract expires, then he can slide into the ND HC job.

Reactions: dcwflyca
I think Freeman will do a great job as the ND DC. However, his goal is to be an HC. I see Freeman here only 1-2 years then he get a HC job. If he stays until 2024 when Kelly's contract expires, then he can slide into the ND HC job.
How about we see how he does as the defensive coordinator before we name him head coach in waiting?

It's not as easy to get a big name coach as some think. However, Nd needs a proven track record and not an inexperience head coach. I hope BK stays around into his late sixties before retiring.

Saban will be 70
Orgeron will also be 60

Makes no sense at all. Who is Freeman? A Ciny D coordinator? LOL. Lets let the guy coach at a big program first. There are about 1,000 coaches that are better qualified if Kelly left.

Reactions: GrumpyLeprechaun
It's not as easy to get a big name coach as some think. However, Nd needs a proven track record and not an inexperience head coach. I hope BK stays around into his late sixties before retiring.
Dabo, Bob Stoops,and Jimbo Fisher are guys who won NCs in their very first head coaching gigs. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley among others doing pretty well in their first head coaching opportunity also. The right guy is the right guy.

Noooooo, not another “coach in waiting” thread. Wasn’t BK’s successor supposed to be Bob Diaco, than Chuck Martin, than Clark Lea. Now we’re on to Marcus Freeman. Come on we all know BK has left everything in his will to his illegitimate son, Tommy Rees. Hahahahaha.

Dabo, Bob Stoops,and Jimbo Fisher are guys who won NCs in their very first head coaching gigs. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley among others doing pretty well in their first head coaching opportunity also. The right guy is the right guy.

I agree with you. That's my position, ND should be totally open to all possible candidates, and they do not have to have HC experience. It's not a positive if they don't, of course, but it's not a deal-breaker. If Clark Lea had stayed on for another four great years, and then replaced Kelly coming from straight from DC? I would have been fine with that!

That's pretty much the only way you would do it, though. Promote from within. I don't think ND would be willing do to a Bob Stoops. Even though Stoops turned out to be a great coach, and OU probably felt like they knew what they were doing when they hired him, we probably wouldn't do that. Stoops was something of a coaching prodigy.

God NO!

Yes no more first time head coaches.

Bingo

Makes no sense at all. Who is Freeman? A Ciny D coordinator? LOL. Lets let the guy coach at a big program first. There are about 1,000 coaches that are better qualified if Kelly left.
He is definitely at least of the “1000”.

How about we see how he does as the defensive coordinator before we name him head coach in waiting?
How about everyone is entitled to there opinion? That is all this post is, my opinion. I do not have to wait for him to coach one down on defense in order to give an opinion.

Reactions: shabak
Noooooo, not another “coach in waiting” thread. Wasn’t BK’s successor supposed to be Bob Diaco, than Chuck Martin, than Clark Lea. Now we’re on to Marcus Freeman. Come on we all know BK has left everything in his will to his illegitimate son, Tommy Rees. Hahahahaha.
Not the intention of this thread. Freeman will be an HC sooner rather than later.

Imagine if Clemson would have thought that way ?
But this isn’t Clemson. First time head coaches doesn’t work at all at ND. ND is simply a different animal. Ara said he need every single year of head coaching at Miami and Northwestern to prepare him for the head coaching job at ND. I am sure Terry Brennan, Faust, Davie and Weis would all agree. I get it other schools have found success with first time head coaches, but it has not worked out at ND.

But this isn’t Clemson. First time head coaches doesn’t work at all at ND. ND is simply a different animal. Ara said he need every single year of head coaching at Miami and Northwestern to prepare him for the head coaching job at ND. I am sure Terry Brennan, Faust, Davie and Weis would all agree. I get it other schools have found success with first time head coaches, but it has not worked out at ND.
Because those coaches were garbage

How did those coaches do after they left/fired from ND?

Reactions: Golson5
How about everyone is entitled to there opinion? That is all this post is, my opinion. I do not have to wait for him to coach one down on defense in order to give an opinion.
Okay but if you think Freeman should already be named coach in waiting after only three years as a d coordinator at Cincy, when he hasn't even coordinated a down at Notre Dame, then I'm entitled to my opinion that (as usual) your opinion sucks.

Reactions: Golson5
Has Freeman coached a game against Navy as a DC ?
I think there may be a little learning curve this season. Jmo.

Frankly, not at all confident that Kelly will retire when this latest contract extension expires. He seems more relaxed and content and in sync with the administration and the alum, and the program is on an upward trajectory. It wasn’t that long ago that folks were talking about ten years being the max for a ND head coach based on Ara’s “early retirement“ and warnings about the pressure of this job, etc... and here we have Kelly beyond this seemingly enjoying himself more than at any other time here.

Frankly, not at all confident that Kelly will retire when this latest contract extension expires. He seems more relaxed and content and in sync with the administration and the alum, and the program is on an upward trajectory. It wasn’t that long ago that folks were talking about ten years being the max for a ND head coach based on Ara’s “early retirement“ and warnings about the pressure of this job, etc... and here we have Kelly beyond this seemingly enjoying himself more than at any other time here.

I don't. I think he's going to retire. Your point is well taken, but I think he'll retire in four years.

Yes no more first time head coaches.

Didn't you like Jerry Faust, Bob Davie, and Charlie Weis? Nightmare times three. I guess the greatest first time head coach in college football had to be Knute Rockne.

Okay but if you think Freeman should already be named coach in waiting after only three years as a d coordinator at Cincy, when he hasn't even coordinated a down at Notre Dame, then I'm entitled to my opinion that (as usual) your opinion sucks.
My opinion sucks? Did I say Freeman should be the next HC? No where did I say I believe Freeman should be the HC in waiting. I even mentioned Clark could be in line to do the same thing.

Your just a piggyback poster. You piggy back off someone else’s thread. You throw rocks at threads you don’t even start. Have you ever even started a thread?

Get your facts straight before you come at me.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
Didn't you like Jerry Faust, Bob Davie, and Charlie Weis? Nightmare times three. I guess the greatest first time head coach in college football had to be Knute Rockne.
Rockne, Paterno, and Switzer were all first time HCs promoted from within. That's not enough for me to recommend the practice.

My opinion sucks? Did I say Freeman should be the next HC? No where did I say I believe Freeman should be the HC in waiting. I even mentioned Clark could be in line to do the same thing.

Your just a piggyback poster. You piggy back off someone else’s thread. You throw rocks at threads you don’t even start. Have you ever even started a thread?

Oh my god, please let's not argue about this. Certainly you can admit that you're being just a bit hasty in semi-seriously proposing Marcus Freeman as ND's possible next coach, right? Because I can answer your question right now. Of course if Marcus Freeman proved to be a superstar, and he was our DC for the next four years until BK retired, and our defense was awesome, and we won a NC, and he was a popular figure and a great cultural fit himself as a coach, then yes he could be promoted and take over for BK, and I for one would be all for it.

But none of the things that would need to actually happen first for us to meaningfully consider that eventuality have happened yet, not even the tiniest iota. Because he's only been on staff for about a month, and it's the off season. At best you could say that he hasn't done anything stupid or foolish to get himself off on the wrong foot. That's the best we can say about him so far, and that's why it's so early to have this sort of debate on this topic.

I never want another rookie head coach. I've seen enough. BK has worked his butt off raising our football program from near death. Let's bring in the next coach to build on what BK began. GO IRISH!

I try for quality over quantity on this board, sure you start a ton of threads but does that really matter if 80% of them suck?

Last edited:
I never want another rookie head coach. I've seen enough. BK has worked his butt off raising our football program from near death. Let's bring in the next coach to build on what BK began. GO IRISH!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's a pretty safe bet we won't have a 1st-time HC when we it comes to replacing BK. It's possible, but highly unlikely, and not really on account of some firmly-held philosophical belief that we mustn't ever hire a rookie HC under any circumstances. Only because the best candidates will already all be HCs. In fact I would say outside of Freeman, Rees or some other future coordinator to be named later, there's no one, and that's it. It's going to be either of those two or no one.

So fear not!

Oh my god, please let's not argue about this. Certainly you can admit that you're being just a bit hasty in semi-seriously proposing Marcus Freeman as ND's possible next coach, right? Because I can answer your question right now. Of course if Marcus Freeman proved to be a superstar, and he was our DC for the next four years until BK retired, and our defense was awesome, and we won a NC, and he was a popular figure and a great cultural fit himself as a coach, then yes he could be promoted and take over for BK, and I for one would be all for it.

But none of the things that would need to actually happen first for us to meaningfully consider that eventuality have happened yet, not even the tiniest iota. Because he's only been on staff for about a month, and it's the off season. At best you could say that he hasn't done anything stupid or foolish to get himself off on the wrong foot. That's the best we can say about him so far, and that's why it's so early to have this sort of debate on this topic.
Not one time did I say Freeman was the next HC at ND. I simply said if he succeeds at DC, he will get a HC job in 1-2 seasons. I don’t care if the guy stayed at Cincy or took the LSU DC job, they man will be a HC one day and could definitely be a candidate at ND.

I try for quality over quantity on this board, sure you start a ton of threads but does that really matter if 80% of them suck?
Again, you are one of the pathetic posters on this board that loves to hide in the bushes of your neighbors house and peaks his head up to throw rocks, then quickly hides behind the neighbors bushes again.

When one of your posts reaches the “quality” standard, this forum will give you the biggest participation trophy your little eyes has ever seen.

I just noticed you mentioned “and we won a NC”. I know you are not implying that winning a NC is the standard for the next HC at ND???

Again, you are one of the pathetic posters on this board that loves to hide in the bushes of your neighbors house and peaks his head up to throw rocks, then quickly hides behind the neighbors bushes again.

When one of your posts reaches the “quality” standard, this forum will give you the biggest participation trophy your little eyes has ever seen.
Post to like ratio checks out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's a pretty safe bet we won't have a 1st-time HC when we it comes to replacing BK. It's possible, but highly unlikely, and not really on account of some firmly-held philosophical belief that we mustn't ever hire a rookie HC under any circumstances. Only because the best candidates will already all be HCs. In fact I would say outside of Freeman, Rees or some other future coordinator to be named later, there's no one, and that's it. It's going to be either of those two or no one.

So fear not!

”Only because the best candidates will already ‘all’ be HCs.?

Wow, with your interpersonal, introspective, cognitive reasoning ability, we should not have offered Lou Holtz in ‘86. Personal note to you: Lou graduated from Kent State on a ROTC scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT