ADVERTISEMENT

Former ND recruit QB Hunter Johnson

Pennick4

I've posted how many times?
Feb 3, 2013
Set to transfer from Clemson. Looking at Purdue and NW.
QB 's don't like to earn the top job.

Guy wants to play, don’t blame him. Originally committed to Tennessee, who just took grad transfer Keller Chryst.

suddenly Purdue is looking like a legit program. Just in time to come back on to the schedule again.

You can't disparage the kid-----wants to play.

He's sitting there at # 3 behind a 12 game starter and a kid who may beat out the 12 game starter as a true frosh------# 1 ranked kid in the country.

It's not like the OT who can move to OG or Center or the CB who can go to Safety or the LB who can bulk up and move to DL.

He's a 1 position player----best of luck to him----left Clemson with nothing but positive remarks on the Program and their HC with nothing but good things to say about him.

Their needs to be more of that IMO.

Reactions: GOUNUII
How about beat them out?
He didn't beat them out though so why not go compete somewhere else where he can beat those guys out? I don't get the notion that because a player gets beat out he must sit on the bench and not go get playing time somewhere that can use him. You sit on the bench for three years your NFL prospects dwindle before your eyes, why accept that if it is his dream to be in the NFL?

Reactions: Bodizephax
He didn't beat them out though so why not go compete somewhere else where he can beat those guys out? I don't get the notion that because a player gets beat out he must sit on the bench and not go get playing time somewhere that can use him. You sit on the bench for three years your NFL prospects dwindle before your eyes, why accept that if it is his dream to be in the NFL?
As long as you don't have a problem with every non starter transferring after spring practice. If the kid is 3rd string after a couple of seasons., his chances of making the NFL are slim.

As long as you don't have a problem with every non starter transferring after spring practice. If the kid is 3rd string after a couple of seasons., his chances of making the NFL are slim.
QB is different. Basically only one plays unless there's an injury or a blowout. Coaches are very reluctant to make QB changes. So, if you are #3 on the depth chart at that position, the odds are you will never see the field.

I mean that's just not true. There are QB's that make it after sitting all the time. Mayfield sat a year before he was named starter and then he lost his starting job and transferred. The bigger question is why do you have an issue with a non-starter transferring if it is done within the rules?

Set to transfer from Clemson. Looking at Purdue and NW.
QB 's don't like to earn the top job.

Wimbush? D Hayes? they decommited to come to ND. Were they afraid to compete?

If Johnson was your Son, and was going to sit for his entire career, how would you advise him?
To compete, you must be in the game, not attending it or just watching it from the sidelines.
Once Johnson became convinced he was not going to surpass probably the top QB prospect in the country, he had to decide, sit or compete. He is a football player and a competitive one.

If Johnson was your Son, and was going to sit for his entire career, how would you advise him?
To compete, you must be in the game, not attending it or just watching it from the sidelines.
Once Johnson became convinced he was not going to surpass probably the top QB prospect in the country, he had to decide, sit or compete. He is a football player and a competitive one.

D. Hayes was a very unique situation. He NEVER wanted to go to USC. That was a strange family custody thing his mom had control over. Once it got settled he immediately flipped to ND, who was his number 1 choice.

D. Hayes was a very unique situation. He NEVER wanted to go to USC. That was a strange family custody thing his mom had control over. Once it got settled he immediately flipped to ND, who was his number 1 choice.

It was just a ‘for instance’. You can pick another. At Ala. Saban has had 11 QB’s transfer. They did so so they could compete for play time.

It was just a ‘for instance’. You can pick another. At Ala. Saban has had 11 QB’s transfer. They did so so they could compete for play time.

I was just relaying how crazy the Hayes thing was. I know there are other instances like you said, but was just putting out that story in case people hadn’t heard it.

Competing is staying and getting better. Just because you change your handle purs , it doesn't make you any brighter.
Your boy Gunner committed to every D1 school and ended up 3 rd string. Get a quality degree and honor your commitment to your teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: NIN Irish
I mean that's just not true. There are QB's that make it after sitting all the time. Mayfield sat a year before he was named starter and then he lost his starting job and transferred. The bigger question is why do you have an issue with a non-starter transferring if it is done within the rules?
Because they should work harder and wait their chance. Do you recommend every 2 nd stringer transfer?

That's because they have a gutsy coach who players who take a bullet for

Who is already out the door.
He is a lot like Tom Herman. He wins games he has no business winning them loses to teams he has no reason to lose to.
That’s what’s funny about Brian Kelly. Go back and look at him at Central Michigan & Cincy. He never lost to teams way below him, but routinely beat better teams.
People like Herman, Brohm, Fleck, actually have lost to a lot of teams that shouldn’t have even been on the field with them.
ND fans would melt down if that happened here. It would be the equivalent of beating Michigan, then losing to Ball State.
Meltdown. LOL

Reactions: ndnd and NDIRISH53
He is a lot like Tom Herman. He wins games he has no business winning them loses to teams he has no reason to lose to.
That’s what’s funny about Brian Kelly. Go back and look at him at Central Michigan & Cincy. He never lost to teams way below him, but routinely beat better teams.
People like Herman, Brohm, Fleck, actually have lost to a lot of teams that shouldn’t have even been on the field with them.
ND fans would melt down if that happened here. It would be the equivalent of beating Michigan, then losing to Ball State.
Meltdown. LOL

Have you forgotten Tulsa, Duke, South Florida, Northwestern?

Also, Who are the better teams Kelly has beaten except maybe Oklahoma in 2012?

Reactions: chitown sot
Meltdown. LOL
Who did he lose to that he shouldn't have? Purdue went 7-6 and won a bowl after losing I think 8 games in 4 years prior (don't quote me). Brohm is awesome. Tough dude former XFL qb with a creative offense and tough defense. Players love him. He is more substance than fleck. He also made western Kentucky damn good winning 10+ games 3 years in a row. He is out the door after this year, no doubt. He'll either be at ND LSU or USC. My gut says LSU, they will whack Coach O if they have another mediocre year imo.

Have you forgotten Tulsa, Duke, South Florida, Northwestern?

Also, Who are the better teams Kelly has beaten except maybe Oklahoma in 2012?

No, of course not. Funny thing is all the teams you just named finished ranked those years.
Seriously.

And the point was that Kelly did more at Central Michigan & Cincy than any of those guys have ever done. Kelly went 12-0 at Cincy & was #3 in the country & 1 second away (Big12 Title game that was fixed) from being in the National Title Game.

ND is a different breed altogether. Fleck can’t even handle the pressures of Minnesota & Herman is suffering at Texas with a roster full of blue chippers. It’s a different level than they are used to. I like Brohm a lot, but he has zero pressure at Purdue & plays in the Big10 West, which is horrible. He is 3-9 in the East. He needs to show more.

Very few coaches can handle the pressure of ND. Fleck & Herman would crumble in South Bend.

And who has Kelly beat who is better? Remember when he stopped the losing streak against USC with a freshman Tommy Rees at QB at USC? Remember when ND was MSU’s only loss in a 13-1 season? Remember when ND beat top 10 MSU on the road in a night game with a freshman QB in 2012? Or Michigan the sane year? Or USC who finished top 10 last year? Or bowl favorite LSU last year & in 2014? Or USC in 2013? Those are just off the top of my head...

Last edited:
Reactions: TXNDFan88
Who did he lose to that he shouldn't have? Purdue went 7-6 and won a bowl after losing I think 8 games in 4 years prior (don't quote me). Brohm is awesome. Tough dude former XFL qb with a creative offense and tough defense. Players love him. He is more substance than fleck. He also made western Kentucky damn good winning 10+ games 3 years in a row. He is out the door after this year, no doubt. He'll either be at ND LSU or USC. My gut says LSU, they will whack Coach O if they have another mediocre year imo.

He will be at his alma mater, Louisville.
Petrino is on the way out & hires BVG as his DC.
Louisville is already working up Brohm’s contract.

Competing is staying and getting better. Just because you change your handle purs , it doesn't make you any brighter.
Your boy Gunner committed to every D1 school and ended up 3 rd string. Get a quality degree and honor your commitment to your teammates.

And don't you dare enter the NFL Draft early because you will draw this fool's wrath instead of cashing a paycheck.

He will be at his alma mater, Louisville.
Petrino is on the way out & hires BVG as his DC.
Louisville is already working up Brohm’s contract.
I know Jeff Brohm is the golden boy of Kentucky... but there's no way he's Louisville next coach. He will be at a blue blood. Clay Helton is not a good coach, Ed O, who else knows who disappoints. There will be a multiple major openings next year and Brohm may be the top choice for every AD looking for a guy. I still think ND gets John Harbaugh, his time is almost up with the Ravens. Kelly's time is probably coming to a close within 3 years. It's may and this is what we have to talk about LOL

I know Jeff Brohm is the golden boy of Kentucky... but there's no way he's Louisville next coach. He will be at a blue blood. Clay Helton is not a good coach, Ed O, who else knows who disappoints. There will be a multiple major openings next year and Brohm may be the top choice for every AD looking for a guy. I still think ND gets John Harbaugh, his time is almost up with the Ravens. Kelly's time is probably coming to a close within 3 years. It's may and this is what we have to talk about LOL

Clay Helton just went 10-3 & 11-2 since being named HC (non-interim) and won a Rose Bowl. He isn’t getting fired anytime soon.

I can’t see Brohm going to LSU. He has coached at WKU & Purdue, played at Louisville. He has spent his entire career playing & coaching in the Midwest. He has never recruited the Siutheast & has had around 90% of all players he signed at WKU & Purdue coming from the Midwest.

Clay Helton just went 10-3 & 11-2 since being named HC (non-interim) and won a Rose Bowl. He isn’t getting fired anytime soon.

I can’t see Brohm going to LSU. He has coached at WKU & Purdue, played at Louisville. He has spent his entire career playing & coaching in the Midwest. He has never recruited the Siutheast & has had around 90% of all players he signed at WKU & Purdue coming from the Midwest.
Is regional experience really that important when trying to find a coach? He turned down the Tennessee job this offseason. Clay Helton may have some decent records in the weak Pac12, but I don't know if anyone thinks he's a good coach. He's eh... won't win you a playoff game

Is regional experience really that important when trying to find a coach? He turned down the Tennessee job this offseason. Clay Helton may have some decent records in the weak Pac12, but I don't know if anyone thinks he's a good coach. He's eh... won't win you a playoff game

It’s big in recruiting. That’s why Matt Rhule going to Baylor was so bizarre. He spent his entire career in the Northeast & was beating out Penn State & Pitt for recruits and beating them on the field...then heads to Texas? He has no pull down there & he is sufferering.
It’s why Chris Peterson turned down so many jobs to stay out West. He recruits the exact same areas but now with more clout.
Brohm could make a huge dent on Midwest recruiting if he stayed in the Midwest.

Agreed and if the Boilers have a brain in their heads they'll spare no expense to try and keep him.

BVG could find some success at Louisville because there are no recruiting restrictions.

ADVERTISEMENT