ADVERTISEMENT

For those advocating for college athletes to be paid,

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
You do realize that paying college athletes would transition their status from student to employee.

Pandora’s Box.

The complications and repercussions are significant !

Is it Time to rethink your position ?

the .gov will have to step in and create a standard student athlete that is not quite an employee. Like the should have done already for ride share drivers.

No one is advocating for universities to pay their athletes. Nothing wrong at all about college athletes benefiting from their name,image or likeness. Non athletes on scholarship are not denied that right. Fair is fair.

No one is advocating for universities to pay their athletes. Nothing wrong at all about college athletes benefiting from their name,image or likeness. Non athletes on scholarship are not denied that right. Fair is fair.

I would advocate for them to paid directly, and in saying that I have no interest dredging up that tedious debate again. But we've moved beyond that thank God, into the brave new world of NIL. Obviously that's another massive, earth-shattering development, and one that ND will have no say in trying prevent or deter. It's here, and ND better be ready for it.

Reactions: echowaker

That’s not true, there are an abundant number of forces lobbying to have a stipend or salary paid to the athlete by the university/college

I would advocate for them to paid directly, and in saying that I have no interest dredging up that tedious debate again. But we've moved beyond that thank God, into the brave new world of NIL. Obviously that's another massive, earth-shattering development, and one that ND will have no say in trying prevent or deter. It's here, and ND better be ready for it.

If the become employees, by virtue of being paid by the university/college, can they unionize ?

Lots of things to consider before pulling the trigger !

Yes, pre NIL. Stipends are part of it already. I always thought a larger one was needed.

Once the college/university pays the athlete a salary, they become employees and that brings with it innumerable legal issues, many not so good.

Reactions: tbonesays
Once the college/university pays the athlete a salary, they become employees and that brings with it innumerable legal issues, many not so good.

Yes the final solution will have to have some work around that protects the Us from paying a lifetime of CTE bills.

ADVERTISEMENT