ADVERTISEMENT

For all the Book haters out there....

I can remember when Ty was thought of as a genius during his first year at ND. I think he started out 8-0 before the wheels came off!
Yes.
And Notre Dame was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline "What a difference a coach makes." Then came BC, and reality.

Yes.
And Notre Dame was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline "What a difference a coach makes." Then came BC, and reality.
Hahaha. I completely forgot about that. I don't think I completely recovered from that game. I lived in Boston at that time and never heard the end of it!

“Ya not defending Weis but Willingham really left the cupboards bare on the OLine especially.”

No doubt. After a couple transfers and injuries, we were left w/ 4 scholarship players in the 5th, 4th & 3rd year classes. Brutal situation that made ‘07 the disaster it was. I firmly believe clausen would’ve fared fine and we would’ve won a lot more games had he not been running for his life all season. He took a beating.

“Ya not defending Weis but Willingham really left the cupboards bare on the OLine especially.”

No doubt. After a couple transfers and injuries, we were left w/ 4 scholarship players in the 5th, 4th & 3rd year classes. Brutal situation that made ‘07 the disaster it was. I firmly believe clausen would’ve fared fine and we would’ve won a lot more games had he not been running for his life all season. He took a beating.
Yes as much as a prima Donna as JC came in as he never got enough credit for his toughness. I think under different circumstances he could have been a great one.

Reactions: francade
No

ASK BETTER, MORE RELEVANT QUESTIONS
So now you finally admit that Tremble should have played behind Mayer.

So how do you justify your premise that the coaches didn‘t maximize Tremble‘s talent ?

Did the coaches maximize Mayer’s talent ?

Reactions: Zorich 88
No team, especially a top team like the Saints, would draft a guy that cannot get the ball down field.

Mac Jones? Bama had no issues throwing the deep ball.

Book had no issues getting the ball to Boykin and Claypool beyond 40 yards.
Book can get the ball down field.... With a huge wind up and a ton of lift. He does not and will never have the arm talent to throw 40 yards on the regular from. Aright pocket or whole rolling out.
In the pros his closest upside comparison is Chad pennington. Yeah he could get it down field but after 15 yards the accuracy and consistency drops significantly.
For every good deep ball bok threw there was 2-3 that he hung up in the air short.
Best of luck to him.

I can remember when Ty was thought of as a genius during his first year at ND. I think he started out 8-0 before the wheels came off!
I was pissed off after the bc game. I thought for sure we would go 12 and 0 that year. The first 12 and 0 team scoring no offensive TD'S. Close but no cigar !

Book can get the ball down field.... With a huge wind up and a ton of lift. He does not and will never have the arm talent to throw 40 yards on the regular from. Aright pocket or whole rolling out.
In the pros his closest upside comparison is Chad pennington. Yeah he could get it down field but after 15 yards the accuracy and consistency drops significantly.
For every good deep ball bok threw there was 2-3 that he hung up in the air short.
Best of luck to him.
As I previously posted.
This is what the Saints see in Book. Some good 40 yard plus passes.
Book to Lenzy 55 yards on the money. Note the separation the WR has on the DB. Something that was lacking this season.
The pass is at the 1:20-1:23 mark.

So now you finally admit that Tremble should have played behind Mayer.

So how do you justify your premise that the coaches didn‘t maximize Tremble‘s talent ?

Did the coaches maximize Mayer’s talent ?
They didnt maximize his talents. He should have been targeted more in the pass game. He was under utilized

They didnt maximize his talents. He should have been targeted more in the pass game. He was under utilized
Why would you try to get your 2nd string/2nd best TE the ball more???

He was great for ND! However, If you are looking at getting a TE the ball, Mayer should have gotten 10 balls a game.

Again, I am a big Tremble fan. However, when you say get the ball to him more, how many times are you thinking? I mean the more passes that go to Tremble is one less pass going to your top TE.

Why would you try to get your 2nd string/2nd best TE the ball more???

He was great for ND! However, If you are looking at getting a TE the ball, Mayer should have gotten 10 balls a game.

Again, I am a big Tremble fan. However, when you say get the ball to him more, how many times are you thinking? I mean the more passes that go to Tremble is one less pass going to your top TE.
Not utilizing your 3rd round pick in the pass game more was a mistake.

You know using two tight ends in the pass game and on the same play is allowed. And legal to do so.

Maybe you didn't realize this but it is allowed. And it should be used especially when your wrs arent the greatest.

You act like sending 2 tight ends out instead of one is a new concept.

Omg how do we get two really good weapons the ball more. What do we do.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Not utilizing your 3rd round pick in the pass game more was a mistake.

You know using two tight ends in the pass game and on the same play is allowed. And legal to do so.

Maybe you didn't realize this but it is allowed. And it should be used especially when your wrs arent the greatest.

You act like sending 2 tight ends out instead of one is a new concept.

Omg how do we get two really good weapons the ball more. What do we do.
How many teams send out 2 TEs in the passing game? A very small percentage of teams do that. One goes out for a pass and one stays on the line to pass block. I rarely see double tight and both TEs go out.

Mayer is the golden goose. He is the automatic mismatch not Tremble. Don’t tell me you are lining one of them up in the slot.

also, funny you are now saying the ND WRs are not the greatest. You put all the onus of the ND passing game failures on Book.

Just looking at the Clemson OT win. Book had 22 completions.

Tremble had 3
Mayer 5
McKinley 5
Davis 4
Skowronek 4
Williams 1

Those were completions. I am not sure how many passes went to Tremble total.

That said, how many more passes should Tremble get?

How many teams send out 2 TEs in the passing game? A very small percentage of teams do that. One goes out for a pass and one stays on the line to pass block. I rarely see double tight and both TEs go out.

Mayer is the golden goose. He is the automatic mismatch not Tremble. Don’t tell me you are lining one of them up in the slot.

also, funny you are now saying the ND WRs are not the greatest. You put all the onus of the ND passing game failures on Book.

Just looking at the Clemson OT win. Book had 22 completions.

Tremble had 3
Mayer 5
McKinley 5
Davis 4
Skowronek 4
Williams 1

Those were completions. I am not sure how many passes went to Tremble total.

That said, how many more passes should Tremble get?
More than he got

By targeting Tremble more, other receivers would have to be targeted less.

Which receivers do you feel should have been targeted less ?

Since you stated that Mayer should start ahead of Tremble, how should he have been targeted more ?

Are you aware that Tremble is not a deep ball receiver ?

By targeting Tremble more, other receivers would have to be targeted less.

Which receivers do you feel should have been targeted less ?

Since you stated that Mayer should start ahead of Tremble, how should he have been targeted more ?

Are you aware that Tremble is not a deep ball receiver ?
Every receiver should have been targeted less besides Mayer

Reactions: SALittleGiant513
That means that less deep balls should have been thrown !

KEEP YOUR DAY JOB, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL !
We didnt throw deep balls you moron.

So if you're not going to throw deep, have your 2 best options out in the pattern in Mayer and Tremble

Go back in hiding you tool

Reactions: SALittleGiant513

So if you're not going to throw deep, have your 2 best options out in the pattern in Mayer and Tremble

No one runs two TEs on passing routes on a regular bases. Mayer is the #1 TE. No way a second string TE gets more balls than a starting WR. No way

So you guys have been able to prove, or at least present a compelling thesis that Tommy Tremble has not been unduly undervalued by fans, for all the reasons thus delineated, and so no one on this board is a lousy Tremble hater on account of not according him the credit he deserves, and it has been demonstrated that all the praise and credit he has received is in line with his actual production. Nice....

Wish we could say that for all the Book haters because they're the worst!

Reactions: francade
No one runs two TEs on passing routes on a regular bases. Mayer is the #1 TE. No way a second string TE gets more balls than a starting WR. No way
Because they dont have 2 as good as we do. Our "second string" TE was more talented than our receivers. We missed an oppurtunity.

When BB had 2 great tight ends, he got them the ball. Tremble was underutilized

Because they dont have 2 as good as we do. Our "second string" TE was more talented than our receivers. We missed an oppurtunity.

When BB had 2 great tight ends, he got them the ball. Tremble was underutilized
So ND is the only program in the country with 2 NFL TEs on the roster???
Come on man! Your better than that. Tremble is awesome. However, you know as well as I do, running 2 TEs in the passing game on a regular basis just does not happen.

Tremble is not a better WR than Ben or Javon. Yup, probably faster than both in the 40 or at least about the same. Tremble will have to improve his route running to be anything more than a run blocker.

So ND is the only program in the country with 2 NFL TEs on the roster???
Come on man! Your better than that. Tremble is awesome. However, you know as well as I do, running 2 TEs in the passing game on a regular basis just does not happen.

Tremble is not a better WR than Ben or Javon. Yup, probably faster than both in the 40 or at least about the same. Tremble will have to improve his route running to be anything more than a run blocker.
No other team had a better tight end tandem than we did. No team had a 1st and 3rd rounder on their roster. We were unique that way. We didn't take advantage of it

No other team had a better tight end tandem than we did. No team had a 1st and 3rd rounder on their roster. We were unique that way. We didn't take advantage of it
Fist let’s start with the 2010 Notre Dame roster.

Kyle Rudolph and Eifert played on the same team. Both of them are and or were top 10 TEs in the NFL. Did they both run passing routes at the same time?

Florida had the top TE in the country in Pitts. However, they also have Kenmore Gamble that had stats equal to Tommy.

Miami had TE Breton Jordon. Drafted ahead of Tommy at 76. There backup is Will Mallor. Projected 3rd-4th rounder.

Tremble was the what, 4th or 5th TE taken?

They used Tremble perfectly. Ran some routes but dominated the run blocking game.

Last edited:
We didnt throw deep balls you moron. So if you're not going to throw deep, have your 2 best options out in the pattern in Mayer and Tremble Go back in hiding you tool

Tell us what teams, college or NFL, design passing plays where they have a two tight end set and send both tight ends out as receivers.

What percentage of offensive plays have a two tight end set, and what percentage of those plays have both tight ends out in passing patterns ?

Tell us what teams, college or NFL, design passing plays where they have a two tight end set and send both tight ends out as receivers.

What percentage of offensive plays have a two tight end set, and what percentage of those plays have both tight ends out in passing patterns ?
You do not set up plays for double TE routes on a consistent basis. Now, put one TE on a short out route and send the other on a deep route has happened. However, that would account for less than 5% of any teams playbook.

I definitely get why people are high on Tremble. However, he was the ND second string TE. Mayer is just better.

Why are people still talking about Book. Like getting drafted means he’s going to make it. I don’t see him being an NFL starter, even with the Saints being as easy an opportunity as is out there. Just beat out the rapist, crab leg stealer and the tight end who doesn’t throw the ball.

Why are people still talking about Book. Like getting drafted means he’s going to make it. I don’t see him being an NFL starter, even with the Saints being as easy an opportunity as is out there. Just beat out the rapist, crab leg stealer and the tight end who doesn’t throw the ball.
“Easy opportunity“ ?

Keep your day job !

“Easy opportunity“ ?

Keep your day job !
Tell me what other NFL teams than the Saints would Book have a better chance of being a starter with in the next 2 years? Maybe Denver? So, yes, the Saints are as easy of an opportunity for Book to be a starter as there is.

Tell me what other NFL teams than the Saints would Book have a better chance of being a starter with in the next 2 years? Maybe Denver? So, yes, the Saints are as easy of an opportunity for Book to be a starter as there is.
Patirish, still waiting for an answer.

Patirish, still waiting for an answer.
Your question shows a complete lack of understanding on how difficult it is to become a starting QB for any team.

For starters, Denver, Panthers, Dolphins, Eagles, Jets, Patriots are all possibilities

Your question shows a complete lack of understanding on how difficult it is to become a starting QB for any team.

For starters, Denver, Panthers, Dolphins, Eagles, Jets, Patriots are all possibilities
Which would still mean that the Saints are as easy of an opportunity as is out there for Book.

Also, how do you put a team like the Patriots on the list. Mac Jones was just taken in the 1st round, ahead of Book. Same with Zach Wilson. Really questionable list you came up with.

Which would still mean that the Saints are as easy of an opportunity as is out there for Book.

Also, how do you put a team like the Patriots on the list. Mac Jones was just taken in the 1st round, ahead of Book. Same with Zach Wilson. Really questionable list you came up with.
Time will tell !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT