ADVERTISEMENT

Florida and Texas Schools

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Florida is seeing 11,000 new cases a day. At that rate that’s 1 ND stadium full of confirmed infections per week in just FL. TX is about the same. Experts say it’s usually 50-80 x’s more people infected than what’s official (imagine all the asymptomatic people). So at least 50,000 people a day are being infected in Florida. That could be 1/2 million people a week in the Sunshine State. At this rate, won’t everyone in these states already have had COVID by seasons start? No reason not to play football in FL. Could all the FL and TX schools set up a season if the rest of the universities refuse? Might as well play some games if the entire state already had the virus, right?

Last edited:
Florida is seeing 11,000 new cases a day. At that rate that’s 1 ND stadium full of confirmed infections per week in just FL. TX is about the same. Experts say it’s usually 50-80 x’s more people infected than what’s official (imagine all the asymptomatic people). So at least 50,000 people a day are being infected in Florida. That could be 1/2 million people a week in the Sunshine State. At this rate, won’t everyone in these states already have had COVID by seasons start? No reason not to play football in FL. Could all the FL and TX schools set up a season if the rest of the universities refuse? Might as well play some games if the entire state already had the virus, right?

There are a number of statistics to look at. For the entire country, 37.6M tests have been performed, which is about 114K for every 1M. The cumulative positivity rate for the country is 7.9%, and the mortality rate (based on deaths divided by total number of infections) is about 4.5% currently. For Florida, 2.2M test have been performed, which is about 102K for each 1M of population, and the cumulative positivity rate is about 10% for all tested but 9.1% for only residents. However, the cumulative mortality rate is only around 1.86% in Florida - most likely due to the governor cutting off access to nursing homes early in the process. In Florida, there has been 174 deaths for every 1M of residents, but for the overall country, there has been 401 deaths per 1M. For Indiana, testing is not as high. Indiana has tested 77K for every 1M, the cumulative positivity rate is 9.2%, but the mortality rate is 5.6% - three times higher than Florida. However, as the post above noted, all mortality and hospitalization rates plummet every time someone asserts that the actual number of infected people greatly exceeds the test results.

What else do these different state results mean? Every state has a different story. Frankly, for Indiana, what does the high mortality rate mean? It probably means that Indiana hasn't had enough hot spots where the healthy residents felt compelled to get tested. Florida is a state that allows bars - establishments that can serve liquor without serving food. In Virginia, liquor only bars don't exist. Same is true for other states. One Florida hot spot bar near UCF (a dive bar if there ever was one) created panic testing.

This will be the week where there has to be more conclusions about Covid hospitality rates and mortality rates related solely to the post Memorial Day spike.

Most colleges are not requiring testing to get back on campus (except for athletes). But all colleges have the same rules....if you get sick, you must get tested. If positive - you must enter 14 day quarantining. Lots of students are getting tested before leaving home....if they can.

There are a number of statistics to look at. For the entire country, 37.6M tests have been performed, which is about 114K for every 1M. The cumulative positivity rate for the country is 7.9%, and the mortality rate (based on deaths divided by total number of infections) is about 4.5% currently. For Florida, 2.2M test have been performed, which is about 102K for each 1M of population, and the cumulative positivity rate is about 10% for all tested but 9.1% for only residents. However, the cumulative mortality rate is only around 1.86% in Florida - most likely due to the governor cutting off access to nursing homes early in the process. In Florida, there has been 174 deaths for every 1M of residents, but for the overall country, there has been 401 deaths per 1M. For Indiana, testing is not as high. Indiana has tested 77K for every 1M, the cumulative positivity rate is 9.2%, but the mortality rate is 5.6% - three times higher than Florida. However, as the post above noted, all mortality and hospitalization rates plummet every time someone asserts that the actual number of infected people greatly exceeds the test results.

What else do these different state results mean? Every state has a different story. Frankly, for Indiana, what does the high mortality rate mean? It probably means that Indiana hasn't had enough hot spots where the healthy residents felt compelled to get tested. Florida is a state that allows bars - establishments that can serve liquor without serving food. In Virginia, liquor only bars don't exist. Same is true for other states. One Florida hot spot bar near UCF (a dive bar if there ever was one) created panic testing.

This will be the week where there has to be more conclusions about Covid hospitality rates and mortality rates related solely to the post Memorial Day spike.

Most colleges are not requiring testing to get back on campus (except for athletes). But all colleges have the same rules....if you get sick, you must get tested. If positive - you must enter 14 day quarantining. Lots of students are getting tested before leaving home....if they can.
Intuitively you would think Florida would have a fatality rate much higher than the overall country due to the huge elderly population in the state. Their relatively low rate would lead you to believe that they have done a good job keeping the most vulnerable people safe.

Reactions: 88ND and francade
Intuitively you would think Florida would have a fatality rate much higher than the overall country due to the huge elderly population in the state. Their relatively low rate would lead you to believe that they have done a good job keeping the most vulnerable people safe.
Or that the numbers they’re reporting are incorrect. Given that they fired a scientist for refusing to fudge numbers, I know which one I think is more likely.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

Given the infection fatality rate for 20 somethings is less than .0092%, I doubt a single football player would die even if every single player in America were positive for Covid. The sport itself is more dangerous to the players than COVID.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish Duck
Or that the numbers they’re reporting are incorrect. Given that they fired a scientist for refusing to fudge numbers, I know which one I think is more likely.

That goes for most of the rosy stats reported in foreign countries. I'd guess min 5 years before we find out the real story.

Or this whole thing is fake. Heart attack, car crash, you name it they say they died of covid. I live in Florida, work throughout the state as a service technician, never stopped working, if it was real I would have gotten it. A virus so deadly you may have it and don't know? Wake up. First they say don't wear a mask it doesn't help, now they mandate it, now I realize some of you are going to attack me for stating the truth, some people will die defending the very thing enslaving them. Never posted before, just been lurking but I can't stand the stupidity anymore

Or this whole thing is fake. Heart attack, car crash, you name it they say they died of covid. I live in Florida, work throughout the state as a service technician, never stopped working, if it was real I would have gotten it. A virus so deadly you may have it and don't know? Wake up. First they say don't wear a mask it doesn't help, now they mandate it, now I realize some of you are going to attack me for stating the truth, some people will die defending the very thing enslaving them. Never posted before, just been lurking but I can't stand the stupidity anymore
I live in Florida as well and I can't even imagine the level of stupidity it would take to call this fake. My God!!

I won’t say that case rates are irrelevant but you have to measure them against the test rates.

The critical numbers are hospitalization rates and death rates, understanding that death rates are skewed due to Medicare reimbursements.

The word “apparent” is troubling.

Every year high school and college athletes die due to respiratory or cardiac issues.

Does that translate into ceasing all high school and college athletics ?

If one teenage driver dies in a car accident, do we stop all teenagers from driving.

You can’t take a rare, isolated incident and expand and extend it to a widespread generality.

That’s fear mongering absent statistical substantiation.

Reactions: mmca and Golson5
I won’t say that case rates are irrelevant but you have to measure them against the test rates.

The critical numbers are hospitalization rates and death rates, understanding that death rates are skewed due to Medicare reimbursements.

how?

Agree to a point but the positivity rate is also critical, since many can be silent spreaders, which would lead to higher hospitalizations and fatalities

Reactions: Kelso86

"Or that the numbers they’re reporting are incorrect. Given that they fired a scientist for refusing to fudge numbers, I know which one I think is more likely."

Truthfully -- I am probably accurate in saying that no one really knows what the true numbers are -- everyone is too busy trying to contradict the other and dis-credit someone else --

Reactions: echowaker
Curious as to how many people posting on this board have school age kids.

How many of you have school age kids?

I have 2 boys. One will be starting middle school in the fall, the other is a sophomore in college. Both will be attending classes online only. I live in a suburb north of Dallas.

"Or that the numbers they’re reporting are incorrect. Given that they fired a scientist for refusing to fudge numbers, I know which one I think is more likely."

Truthfully -- I am probably accurate in saying that no one really knows what the true numbers are -- everyone is too busy trying to contradict the other and dis-credit someone else --

Deaths are generally measured after the fact by counting excess deaths, how many more people died that an average year. The average is usually a range, and right now, based on excess deaths in the US, there are 20-50% more deaths than what Covid has officially accounted for.

Kids are married and gone, but my wife works in an elementary school. So we are living this school or no school, live or virtual, thing literally minute by minute. Constantly changing.

Reactions: echowaker
Kids are married and gone, but my wife works in an elementary school. So we are living this school or no school, live or virtual, thing literally minute by minute. Constantly changing.

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. We are fortunate to both be working full time from home but have 4 high risk family members and 2 kids in school. One hopes this is a galvanizing event for our children’s generation, a time of rising to and above adversity. The alternative ain’t so pretty.

Or that testing centers are now admitting positive tests aren't being reported correctly?

Reactions: francade
“Or that testing centers are now admitting positive tests aren't being reported correctly?”

Don’t know how reliable it is, but there are multiple stories about colossal mistakes in their data in Florida, especially miami & Orlando. Don’t know what to believe anymore. Too many people w/ agendas on both sides of the argument.

“Or that testing centers are now admitting positive tests aren't being reported correctly?”

Don’t know how reliable it is, but there are multiple stories about colossal mistakes in their data in Florida, especially miami & Orlando. Don’t know what to believe anymore. Too many people w/ agendas on both sides of the argument.

Wow! Well said “too many people w/ agendas on both sides! EXACTLY!

Yes, walruzz, there are agendas on both sides. That’s why I said I’m not sure what to believe about this story. Who reported it? Was it a never trumper like you, or was it a Trump demagogue? Until we know that, we’re not sure if it’s real. That doesn’t change how the anti-trump crowd has acted during this pandemic. Whatever it takes to make him look bad, even if it means making the country go into a depression that they’ll never get out of. That’s sad.

Yes, walruzz, there are agendas on both sides. That’s why I said I’m not sure what to believe about this story. Who reported it? Was it a never trumper like you, or was it a Trump demagogue? Until we know that, we’re not sure if it’s real. That doesn’t change how the anti-trump crowd has acted during this pandemic. Whatever it takes to make him look bad, even if it means making the country go into a depression that they’ll never get out of. That’s sad.
Assume - that’s your go to move.

Yeah, you're right 180+ countries got together to make Trump look bad, come on man. The virus is real, people are dying and nobody gives a shit about Trump.

“Yeah, you're right 180+ countries got together to make Trump look bad, come on man. The virus is real, people are dying and nobody gives a shit about Trump”

Have no clue what you’re talking about. When did I say that 180+ countries got together to make trump look bad? I’ve never posted that this virus wasn’t real. And if you think that nobody gives a shit about dumping on trump during this pandemic, well, that’s being tone deaf, imho.

Reactions: Golson5
“Yeah, you're right 180+ countries got together to make Trump look bad, come on man. The virus is real, people are dying and nobody gives a shit about Trump”

Have no clue what you’re talking about. When did I say that 180+ countries got together to make trump look bad? I’ve never posted that this virus wasn’t real. And if you think that nobody gives a shit about dumping on trump during this pandemic, well, that’s being tone deaf, imho.

696.gif

Or just living life. People get the cold or cough all the time. Perhaps it's Corona and it's just another sniffle type of day thinking. Then two days later they feel normal again

This virus impacts people differently.

Whatever the numbers are I promise you can multiply that by about 10 -100 times that much.

They just haven't been tested yet.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT