ADVERTISEMENT

First CFB Death from Covid...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
DT Jemain Stephens, High School teammate of:

"Kurt Hinish, a defensive lineman at Notre Dame who played with Stephens at Central Catholic, cherished the talks they would have when he drove Stephens home after practice. “It didn’t matter where you came from, the color of your skin, your religious affiliation or who you associated with,” Hinish said. “Juice was going to interact with you in a genuine way.”

RIP Juice.

Reactions: d1042 and Bumpdaddy
Heartbreaking... Feel so bad for the family. Seems like a great kid -- the video of him Odell-ing those passes is amazing, check it out in the article. Look, a lot of interior lineman are at risk. Their body type --essential for what they do -- leads to the kinds of vulnerabilities that Covid attacks.

A vaccine can't come fast enough. Stay safe.

Reactions: shabak and d1042
While tragic, and my condolences to the young mans family. I believe he was a D2 player who’s season was already cancelled. The headline is a bit misleading, not the same as passing Away after contracting the virus due to playing in a game or participating in football related activities.

This is the second case noted on here where the implication is that there is a cause and effect relationship between a guy playing football and dying from COVID. Is there any indication that his having played college football had anything to do with him contracting the virus? Everybody who dies from this virus is something in their life. A plumber, a bank teller, a cop, a teacher, etc. What they were, or what they did, may or may not have had anything to do with them contracting the virus.

This is the second case noted on here where the implication is that there is a cause and effect relationship between a guy playing football and dying from COVID. Is there any indication that his having played college football had anything to do with him contracting the virus? Everybody who dies from this virus is something in their life. A plumber, a bank teller, a cop, a teacher, etc. What they were, or what they did, may or may not have had anything to do with them contracting the virus.

Is @scubasteve is correct then yes, it proves that cancelling the football season risks the health and safety of the players.

he wants to believe so he slants his discussion to fit his ‘want to’

I knew this post was imminent as it was essentially the same as the post relating to the 1st death.

I think the Mom, feels there was a relationship and I have to respect her convictions.

I knew this post was imminent as it was essentially the same as the post relating to the 1st death.

I think the Mom, feels there was a relationship and I have to respect her convictions.

Holy crap. You’re really hurt that USC cancelled their season, huh? Clinging to anything that “might” justify it.

Mom thinks his team should have played?

Does this message board have to have threads that actively try to propagandize against coronavirus? The completely busted logic in some of these posts is beneath even responding to. But we'll put it this way:

If Aaron Banks, who is our biggest, heaviest player, just like this guy who died who was 350 pounds and thus was at obviously greater risk.... so if AB asks you for advice, and what should he think about coronavirus, maybe he's worried because he's also well upwards of 300 pounds, and so he's not sure what to think and he really wants to play. You going to stick with that same wise counsel? 'Hey man, don't worry about that guy, he wasn't even playing, you might even be safer if you do play!' Right? I mean if this guy wasn't playing, because his season was already canceled.... So why would you worry that you might get it if you played?

Some of you just might.

at the start, if the question was put to you, that you could play your football season, but 1 life had to be surrendered, what would be your take (decision)

His university's football season was canceled as well as all football activities so football had nothing to do with his death; however, football probably increases the likelihood of getting infected. ND football had 13 players infected recently, 13/95 = 14% of team, which is much higher than the ND student body. I assume most of the infections were traced to fellow football players, not other students or from parties. The question for me is does early detection and better medical care prevent deaths? If Juice had been playing football and got infected, would earlier detection and better medical care have made a difference in saving his life?

Reactions: Golson5
Guess you didn't read the article:

"Even though Cal. U.’s campus has been closed since March, and football activities have been shut down since then, Allen said her son returned to school in mid-August so he could work out with his teammates in anticipation of a spring season."

Then he got the virus that killed him. No, he didn't get it in a game but he got it when... "returned to school in mid-August so he could work out with his teammates in anticipation of a spring season."

If he had stayed home with mom, he'd be alive today.

Does this message board have to have threads that actively try to propagandize against coronavirus? The completely busted logic in some of these posts is beneath even responding to. But we'll put it this way:

If Aaron Banks, who is our biggest, heaviest player, just like this guy who died who was 350 pounds and thus was at obviously greater risk.... so if AB asks you for advice, and what should he think about coronavirus, maybe he's worried because he's also well upwards of 300 pounds, and so he's not sure what to think and he really wants to play. You going to stick with that same wise counsel? 'Hey man, don't worry about that guy, he wasn't even playing, you might even be safer if you do play!' Right? I mean if this guy wasn't playing, because his season was already canceled.... So why would you worry that you might get it if you played?

Some of you just might.
Id tell anyone who is concerned about contracting the virus and playing football, to opt out and not play. Easy

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I did read the article. He got the virus from one of his friends, not from football. His school is closed as well as all football activities. It’s no different than you getting the virus from working out with you buddies. His activities were completely unsupervised. That is my point...

at the start, if the question was put to you, that you could play your football season, but 1 life had to be surrendered, what would be your take (decision)
This guys team wasn’t playing their season. So what point are you trying to make?

well it is very sad that he was so young, there are Young football players who died of heatstroke, and undiagnosed heart disease. You don't necessarily stop football because of that. so there is not necessarily a correlation between playing football and catching covid-19 Yes it's a shame. It's always a shame when a parent has to bury their children. It is not the natural Order of Things.

poor arguments. You know how many deaths under age 18 are from Covid? Less than 99.98 per cent of the population

you can’t get better odds from - pick your poison - flu, pneumonia, driving a car, crossing a street

Covid is vastly over rated. Our response to it will be exposed as the hoax of the century

testing inaccuracies, deaths wrongly attributed, And a population robotic in its sci Fi anti- social adoption of six feet n masks

there is a lot of misfortune in the world. Covid continues to selfishly push these stories to the gutter

Id tell anyone who is concerned about contracting the virus and playing football, to opt out and not play. Easy

That's a fair answer, and as you can see I've been totally enjoying the CFB season, and I watch soccer and basketball sometimes. So more power to these guys for making a go of it. And of course there's very little risk to them, as I think I've heard of not a single athlete other than this dude even get sick let alone die.

But here's the thing, I'm sure many athletes who have tested positive got it from their participation in their sport, and fortunately for them they're asymptomatic. So there's no basis at all for concluding, or hinting that because this one college athlete couldn't have got it from actually playing his sport, that that somehow makes playing sports more safe. There's no logic there at all. That's what's misleading, not the NYT article. The reason most athletes don't die from coronavirus is not because participating in their sport is or isn't safe to do, it's because athletes are virtually 100% asymptomatic, or so it seems, wherever they contract it. That's all I'm saying. You seem willing to acknowledge that.

But yes, yours is the correct answer. You gotta tell some big OL he's gotta make a decision, and accept the risk or not. Because he totally could get it from participating in football, even though this one dude who died didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT