ADVERTISEMENT

Finbaum on ESPN just destroyed ND top 5

“#7 Utah QB1 transfer from Texas with no experience?”

I thought cam rising was their starter? If so, the gators may be in trouble week 1. He’s a stud.

So you didn't see our #2 cb smoked vs oki st? New starters at second safety spot. Yes it's a POTENTIAL strength and a potential liability. In many cases we will play 5 secondary players and 2 are studs. That's NOT TOP 5.

THE OLINE sucked last year. Yes we expect it to be 100% better but it's the same guys. We shouldn't be ranked based on that potential.

There is really no justification for top 5.

Yes we have talent and yes we COULD END top five but it's nuts to rank is there now.
OL doesn’t suck on an 11-2 team ! And should have been 12-1 .! Lost too one of the top 5 defensive teams in country while missing a chip shot FG by the way.
you guys that think you know so much have no clue about skill sets , talent and schemes!

Tell me. Who would be favored at Ohio St ? Nobody . Alabama according to Vegas would be a pick‘em to 1.5 pt favorite !

Reactions: rrdd2021
Managing the game isnt going to beat OSU imo. Hes going to have to make a lot of plays. Amd a lot of them. In the pass and run game. We dont beat Osu unless Buchner has a big game
I hear what you are saying. However, that’s a lot to ask from a guy making his first start.

Yes, ND has to take shots downfield. Yes, TB will be asked to sit in the pocket and read the defense.

However, if TB is asked to throw the ball 40 times like Book did against Clemson that could be a problem.

For me manage the game is 25-30 passing attempts.

Limit interceptions/turnovers

Don’t force the ball (double coverage, tight windows). Take what the defense gives.

I am saying ND needs at least 150-200 yards rushing. TB can definitely help on that area.

OL doesn’t suck on an 11-2 team ! And should have been 12-1 .! Lost too one of the top 5 defensive teams in country while missing a chip shot FG by the way.
you guys that think you know so much have no clue about skill sets , talent and schemes!
The OL was awful last year. They sucked

When you throw out rankings like 10-12, who do you put ahead of ND?

#6 Texas A&M no QB1

#7 Utah QB1 transfer from Texas with no experience?

#8 Michigan solid QB but lost a lot on defense. Huge question marks on defense.

#9 Oklahoma New HC zero HC experience and a new QB.

#10 Baylor no way they should be ranked ahead of ND.

You bring up very valid points and honestly I haven't looked much at the other teams. I agree with you're assessment as well as some others that were talking about the "always grey" areas outside the top 4-5 obvious teams.

Simple for me. I just want ND to start winning the big games now and then instead of getting embarrassed or coming away with the sentimental losses.

Unless chaos ensues, ND's season very well may boil down to the opening game this year. A catastrophic loss at the horseshoe i'm afraid will be too much to overcome unless things go really sideways down the stretch for some teams. Could happen though!

Reactions: Zorich 88
You bring up very valid points and honestly I haven't looked much at the other teams. I agree with you're assessment as well as some others that were talking about the "always grey" areas outside the top 4-5 obvious teams.

Simple for me. I just want ND to start winning the big games now and then instead of getting embarrassed or coming away with the sentimental losses.

Unless chaos ensues, ND's season very well may boil down to the opening game this year. A catastrophic loss at the horseshoe i'm afraid will be too much to overcome unless things go really sideways down the stretch for some teams. Could happen though!
If we go 11 and 1 and our schedule is tough with Clemson, SC and BYu having good teams, we'll have a good shot to make the playoff still

Guy’s, this is a very talented ND team. Yes, like every team, there are strengths and weaknesses. However, when any team can line up a powerful Oline/Dline, that team has something special.

If those two positions are strong, then they will make up for a lot of weaknesses.

“#7 Utah QB1 transfer from Texas with no experience?”

I thought cam rising was their starter? If so, the gators may be in trouble week 1. He’s a stud.
He is and is a very good QB. Almost beat Ohio State in the Rose Bowl and pounded Oregon twice. Will be interesting how they do against Florida. Agree Irish as good as any of the other 5-10 choices. Probably better than TA&M. Rest about equal in talent. Irish and OU with new coaches but very proven defensive guys.

Reactions: francade
First of all I realize this guy has turned into a shock jock. He is a Stephan A that says crazy sound bites to get views.

However, a lot of people feel the same way. They believe ND is one of the most overrated teams in the top 10.

ND will have one of the best Oline/Dline in college football this season. That alone will make them a top 5-7 team.

Do you believe ND is an overrated top 5 team????

Personally, I agree with the ranking.

But after they go to the Horseshoe (not the Big house like the talking head just said) they will be top 2-3.
Depends on 1 player and it’s unfair to put it on him but TB has to have a relaxed and confident performance. If he does, I think ND hangs in all game long. If he doesn’t and has two early turnovers especially of the inexplicable and egregious variety then I fear the defense presses and we’re down 21 at the half. That’ll lead to a 40 something to 14 loss, a revival of THE ND is… narrative and a massive drop in the polls.

ND can’t stop that narrative until they stand up to a Top 5 team.

Reactions: Zorich 88
Depends on 1 player and it’s unfair to put it on him but TB has to have a relaxed and confident performance. If he does, I think ND hangs in all game long. If he doesn’t and has two early turnovers especially of the inexplicable and egregious variety then I fear the defense presses and we’re down 21 at the half. That’ll lead to a 40 something to 14 loss, a revival of THE ND is… narrative and a massive drop in the polls.

ND can’t stop that narrative until they stand up to a Top 5 team.
I agree, TB has to stay poised. However, the game plan should not revolve around his performance.

The #1 goal on the offensive side of the ball has to be to run the ball. That includes using TB running abilities.

I agree, TB has to stay poised. However, the game plan should not revolve around his performance.

The #1 goal on the offensive side of the ball has to be to run the ball. That includes using TB running abilities.
And OSU knows this too. Hes going to have to be able to pass a good amount in this game. I think he is capable. We will see

ADVERTISEMENT