ADVERTISEMENT

Finbaum on ESPN just destroyed ND top 5

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
First of all I realize this guy has turned into a shock jock. He is a Stephan A that says crazy sound bites to get views.

However, a lot of people feel the same way. They believe ND is one of the most overrated teams in the top 10.

ND will have one of the best Oline/Dline in college football this season. That alone will make them a top 5-7 team.

Do you believe ND is an overrated top 5 team????

Personally, I agree with the ranking.

But after they go to the Horseshoe (not the Big house like the talking head just said) they will be top 2-3.

Turned into?

The only reason that pencil head is on ESPN is someone's cousin brother poisoned a tree in Alabama and his radio show took the call.

One of ESPNs many efforts to propagate the SEC bias on the rest of us. He's not even a shock jock.. He's a know nothing. At least Skip is purposeful in his controversial "takes"

Reactions: Zorich 88
5 sounds about right to me after looking at 6,7,8,9. should be favored in every game except OSU and possibly Clemson. Finebaum is an sec guy and actually morphed into a BK supporter. But I think like most sec fans nd is viewed as getting preferential treatment due to name brand strength. and on field performance has been 20 years of beating crappy teams and then puking it up in big time games. on paper I still don’t see 5 better teams this year so 5 sounds right—provided cmf and co. can coach

I think 5's too high, with a new HC and new QB. But preseason polls are meaningless, anyways. They just give fans and talking heads something to talk about.

Last edited:
Reactions: U2fan
I think Finebum’s a moron but I also feel that Notre Dame at number five is too high. We don’t have a proven quarterback, our wide receiver group is very questionable at this point as well. I’d say Notre Dame is a top eight, nine, or 10 team. Hopefully by the end of the season they can be in the top four if the only loss is OSU. A bad loss in the first game can be overcome IMO, I’m expecting OSU big (45 -24)

I think the BYU game is going to be a potential trap, That’s a very veteran team with a ton of returning talent.

To be frank it is an over ranking.

New head coach
New offensive staff
New starting qb
Two new starting wr
Questionable secondary

Doesnt sound like top 5 team.

I'd have been fine at #10

Reactions: TheSodFather

New head coach
New offensive staff
New starting qb
Two new starting wr
Questionable secondary

We have 2 studs in the secondary. I dont see it as questionable

Besides depth at wr, we are a pretty loaded team everywhere. There's talent at every position.

If you move us down you have to move someone up. I don't see anyone definitely better than us.

I see 4 through 10 all in the same range

New head coach
New offensive staff
New starting qb
Two new starting wr
Questionable secondary

Guess we will learn alot on September 3rd, and not just winning or losing, but how we compete. If we get blown out, then clearly to high, if we win, well, I guess to low; if we compete but like close then just about right. It's CFB, anything can happen, and none of us know

We have 2 studs in the secondary. I dont see it as questionable

Besides depth at wr, we are a pretty loaded team everywhere. There's talent at every position.

If you move us down you have to move someone up. I don't see anyone definitely better than us.

I see 4 through 10 all in the same range
So you didn't see our #2 cb smoked vs oki st? New starters at second safety spot. Yes it's a POTENTIAL strength and a potential liability. In many cases we will play 5 secondary players and 2 are studs. That's NOT TOP 5.

THE OLINE sucked last year. Yes we expect it to be 100% better but it's the same guys. We shouldn't be ranked based on that potential.

There is really no justification for top 5.

Yes we have talent and yes we COULD END top five but it's nuts to rank is there now.

So you didn't see our #2 cb smoked vs oki st? New starters at second safety spot. Yes it's a POTENTIAL strength and a potential liability. In many cases we will play 5 secondary players and 2 are studs. That's NOT TOP 5.

THE OLINE sucked last year. Yes we expect it to be 100% better but it's the same guys. We shouldn't be ranked based on that potential.

There is really no justification for top 5.

Yes we have talent and yes we COULD END top five but it's nuts to rank is there now.
You dont have to have a top 5 secondary to be ranked top 5. We have a lot of strengths elsewhere and secondary isnt so bad that it should move us down.

We have 2 guys that can get drafted very high. And other players that have played well. But guys that arent elite against the best.

The OLine is going to be very good. I think everyone knows that. Even against OK state in our last game they looked much better and that was with Quinn and a bum at guard. And a rusty Blake Fisher. Ok state led the nation in sacks last year. Now we have Heistand and experience and depth. Good luck against our OL

Everyone in cfb is based off projection. Look at how much Georgia lost.

Look at Clemson last year. They stunk for them. Why do they deserve a 4 ranking. Projection

I would say slightly overrated although I don’t think there’s anyone behind us that’s clearly better.

Reactions: rover219

New head coach
New offensive staff
New starting qb
Two new starting wr
Questionable secondary

So if ND is not top 5 but who is?

Where do you put ND?

New head coach
New offensive staff
New starting qb
Two new starting wr
Questionable secondary

I agree on all of this. I think ND has a chance to play their way into the top 5 (after a most likely Ohio State loss) due to the strength of both their offensive and defensive lines. I honestly think those will keep everything in check combined with Buchner improving week to week and the passing game in general doing well with a huge year by Mayer.

#6 Texas A&M no QB1

#7 Utah QB1 transfer from Texas with no experience?

#8 Michigan solid QB but lost a lot on defense. Huge question marks on defense.

#9 Oklahoma New HC zero HC experience and a new QB.

#10 Baylor no way they should be ranked ahead of ND.

So who should be 5 and where should ND be???

Reactions: tbone3114
If ND beats Ohio State, they will be top three. If they lose to Ohio State by three TDs, they will be out of the top ten.

Stay tuned...

NO WAY! IF ND loses, this WILL be a close game!!! Tyler Buchner stays healthy and they have a great chance to win it! This kid WILL go in there with great confidence as will the rest of the team! 45-24 lol!!!
I think Finebum’s a moron but I also feel that Notre Dame at number five is too high. We don’t have a proven quarterback, our wide receiver group is very questionable at this point as well. I’d say Notre Dame is a top eight, nine, or 10 team. Hopefully by the end of the season they can be in the top four if the only loss is OSU. A bad loss in the first game can be overcome IMO, I’m expecting OSU big (45 -24)

I think the BYU game is going to be a potential trap, That’s a very veteran team with a ton of returning talent.

I like the preferred ranking as it will help keep us in the conversation if/when we lose.

for a #5, we have some big unproven starters in QB, and thin at WR and RB (to start the year due to injuries)

that being said, I have zero shits for PF, he is as described above (a loud weasel)

There should not be any rankings until 5 games have been played. Popularity/speculation contest

There should not be any rankings until 5 games have been played. Popularity/speculation contest
Rankings are for the fans to create energy and debate about the season.

Nothing wrong with them. They get people talking and create a buzz

Nothing wrong with them imo

Rankings are for the fans to create energy and debate about the season.

Nothing wrong with them. They get people talking and create a buzz

Nothing wrong with them imo
as long as you realize they are for the lemmings called fans and not for anyone intelligent....

I heard on Sports radio here today driving home that something like 12 of the last 13 national champions started the season ranked in the top 5, the anomaly was 2013 FSU who started around 12 or so.

So expect Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson, or ND to win it all.

I heard on Sports radio here today driving home that something like 12 of the last 13 national champions started the season ranked in the top 5, the anomaly was 2013 FSU who started around 12 or so.

So expect Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson, or ND to win it all.
The NFL does a far better job allowing more teams to have a realistic chance to play in or win a Super Bowl.

Looking forward to my first visit to South Bend. Having lived in IN for many years but being from Huntington will be an absolute dream. Love ND but love the Herd as my home town team. I know we will get crushed but I am so excited to see ND play.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I think the pre season rankings are pretty much worthless. As someone else said, they're to give the media something to talk about and fans something to complain about.

That said, I believe ND should be ranked around 10-12 to start. Lets see how this new coach/QB situation pans out for a bit this season. We will definitely learn what we have after game one against the Buckeyes. Until Notre Dame actually wins these types of games, I am not convinced of anything. I don't want a close, symbolic type loss, I want a W. If ND can start actually winning these games more so than losing them, then the pundits might start taking them seriously.

Either way... if ND has to play ohio state, game one is a good game to do it....

Reactions: BGI User 756
Sounds about right to me. The lines are the key. If the DB's hold up should only have one or two loses.

First of all I realize this guy has turned into a shock jock. He is a Stephan A that says crazy sound bites to get views.

However, a lot of people feel the same way. They believe ND is one of the most overrated teams in the top 10.

ND will have one of the best Oline/Dline in college football this season. That alone will make them a top 5-7 team.

Do you believe ND is an overrated top 5 team????

Personally, I agree with the ranking.

But after they go to the Horseshoe (not the Big house like the talking head just said) they will be top 2-3.
the OL and DL are foundations for building a team! ND has elite talent on both lines: justified top 10 rating.

I think the pre season rankings are pretty much worthless. As someone else said, they're to give the media something to talk about and fans something to complain about.

That said, I believe ND should be ranked around 10-12 to start. Lets see how this new coach/QB situation pans out for a bit this season. We will definitely learn what we have after game one against the Buckeyes. Until Notre Dame actually wins these types of games, I am not convinced of anything. I don't want a close, symbolic type loss, I want a W. If ND can start actually winning these games more so than losing them, then the pundits might start taking them seriously.

Either way... if ND has to play ohio state, game one is a good game to do it....
When you throw out rankings like 10-12, who do you put ahead of ND?

#6 Texas A&M no QB1

When you throw out rankings like 10-12, who do you put ahead of ND?

#6 Texas A&M no QB1

4-5 teams are usually easily identified; 5,6 7 are usually very close and I put ND in that trio.

Comes down to TB - plays great, very much top five. Not so good, way overrated.

The rest of the roster is top 5 talent, but a top QB makes it all go.

Comes down to TB - plays great, very much top five. Not so good, way overrated.

The rest of the roster is top 5 talent, but a top QB makes it all go.
Manage the game TB. Use the most talented TE in the nation. Use your legs TB. Tommy let’s establish the run.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Manage the game TB. Use the most talented TE in the nation. Use your legs TB. Tommy let’s establish the run.
Managing the game isnt going to beat OSU imo. Hes going to have to make a lot of plays. Amd a lot of them. In the pass and run game. We dont beat Osu unless Buchner has a big game

Reactions: TheSodFather
ADVERTISEMENT