ADVERTISEMENT

Finally a QB in Spring

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
ND QBs have not excited me since the days of Powlus n McDougal. Powlus never became what me n Beano cook thought he would. But I had excitement he would. McDougal was a pleasant surprise. And since then no one, not Brady Quinn, not Kiser, no one got me excited. I had high hopes for Golson and he became a campus screwball who shot his development in the foot and then became a fumbling turnover machine. I had high hopes for Wimbush who could not pass a ball into any area code. And game manager Ian Book was steady and a 4 year yawn on the excitement meter.

Surely Buchner was the answer. But again, big let down Pyne was never a factor as his limitations are glaring

But now we have a 2024 guy coming and a 2023 January enrollee who has got my attention. I hope Kenny is as good as he looks and outright wins the job in Spring ball. With a great QB I think we are natty caliber We have not had that since 1993

Like the old Brooklyn Dodgers fans: ‘wait till next year,” hope rings eternal!

Reactions: irishlogger
I'm not going to post what he said, but I know that some people on this board valued his opinions and just wanted to let them know where to find them if they were so inclined.
He always had good insight -- miss his posts.

Reactions: IrishHerb
Jimmy Clausen
Gunner Kiel

Both #1 overall players overall coming out of HS. Maybe you were sleeping those years?
Good one on clausen. Yes he qualifies. Missed him. But Kiel? Never developed at cinci or elsewhere

For those that know him, Irishinontario is posting at Irish breakdowns premium forum about QB transfer possibilities.

Just an fyi.
I assume the staff won't push for this until after the season. No reason to ruffle any feathers in recruiting and/or distract Pyne. The most popular choice is probably Leary, but theres an issue with his injury. Hudson Card would be one to look at, but he's less likely I think now with Minchey on board. Van Dyke is probably someone Rees is looking at pretty seriously considering Leary injury. McNamara would be low on my list to be honest, but he might be a slight upgrade from Pyne and Buchner. I think he's not much of an upgrade though. Leary and Van Dyke are good names to watch. Issue with Leary is it sounds like his injury will keep him out of spring practice. That would be a no for me.

Last edited:
I assume the staff won't push for this until after the season. No reason to ruffle any feathers in recruiting and/or distract Pyne. The most popular choice is probably Leary, but theres an issue with his injury. Hudson Card would be one to look at, but he's unlikely no with Minchey. Van Dyke is probably someone Rees is looking at pretty seriously. McNamara would be low on my list to be honest. I think he's not much of an upgrade from Pyne. Leary and Van Dyke are good names to watch. Issue with Leary is it sounds like his injury will keep him out of spring practice. That would be a no for me.
Devin Leary turns 24 at the start of the 2023 season. Why wouldn't he go to the NFL if he is so well thought of?

Sam Hartman is the guy. I read where he's definitely not returning to Wake for his covid year. What his plans are they didn't say, I guess it was the Winston Salem gazette.... so he could try his luck in the NFL, OR go for a grad transfer season at a place like ND. Maybe for a handsome NIL payday.

He'd be perfect. But guys like Cade McNamara, I wouldn't go for that. Just stick with Buchner in that case.....

Sam Hartman is the guy. I read where he's definitely not returning to Wake for his covid year. What his plans are they didn't say, I guess it was the Winston Salem gazette.... so he could try his luck in the NFL, OR go for a grad transfer season at a place like ND. Maybe for a handsome NIL payday.

He'd be perfect. But guys like Cade McNamara, I wouldn't go for that. Just stick with Buchner in that case.....
This is the guy! If available ND needs to get him!! No hyperbole and a lot would obviously need to go right but, ND is in NC contention with a healthy past performance Sam Hartman.

This is the guy! If available ND needs to get him!! No hyperbole and a lot would obviously need to go right but, ND is in NC contention with a healthy past performance Sam Hartman.
Sam Hartman turns 24 in July. If he is as good as everyone says, the NFL will be strongly considered.

Reactions: Kelso86
A QB room of Bucher, Pyne, Hartman, Angeli, and Minchey would be a very crowded room. If they can get him, I guess they should go for it.

Devin Leary is they guy we should and I think will go after if he doesnt go to the nfl.

He will be priority number 1

My guess is the injuries have taught him one thing and that is that he's a hit away from a career ending injury. I highly doubt he doesn't enter the draft. Even if he came back, why not just come back to NCST?

My guess is the injuries have taught him one thing and that is that he's a hit away from a career ending injury. I highly doubt he doesn't enter the draft. Even if he came back, why not just come back to NCST?
Play with a better OL and team. Compete for a NC. Play in big, meaningful games

Somebody is gonna leave. I don't see Buchner playing in the bowl game, then next year it's either Pyne or Minchey, probably a mixture of both as Minchey works his way in. That means 24 it's Minchey, so likely Carr then leaves.

I could see Buchner and Carr both leaving...

Somebody is gonna leave. I don't see Buchner playing in the bowl game, then next year it's either Pyne or Minchey, probably a mixture of both as Minchey works his way in. That means 24 it's Minchey, so likely Carr then leaves.

Sounds wrong on all counts here

Pyne is unlikely next year. Most likely a grad transfer. If not a grad, more likely Buchner. My money is on a grad transfer. Then Buchner

In 24, it will be Buchner or Minchey. Carr will only arrive in 24 so no chance he leaves after 1 year. He will probably play some in 24 then compete for the job in 25

Good one on clausen. Yes he qualifies. Missed him. But Kiel? Never developed at cinci or elsewhere
But we can't say ND didn't bring in big time QB recruits. Whether the staff developed them correctly or not is the question. And Kiel was as big time as they get. For some reason, the previous coach wouldn't play him. He had an outstanding first year at Cinci after sitting a year under the previous rules.

You should leave after reading this.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Golson5
Sounds wrong on all counts here

Pyne is unlikely next year. Most likely a grad transfer. If not a grad, more likely Buchner. My money is on a grad transfer. Then Buchner

In 24, it will be Buchner or Minchey. Carr will only arrive in 24 so no chance he leaves after 1 year. He will probably play some in 24 then compete for the job in 25
Minchey either starts sometime next year or certainly start of 24. Carr will sit for 3 years behind Minchey? Doubtful.

Minchey either starts sometime next year or certainly start of 24. Carr will sit for 3 years behind Minchey? Doubtful.
You have zero way of definitively knowing who will start in 2023 or 2024.

Again. Zero.

I dont see Minchey starting next year as we will be starting a grad transfer.

Then in 24 there will be a competition. Dont know who will win out. But he wont transfer after 1 year. He'll stay at least 2. He will get a chance to play at some point. Too good not to

Then in 24 there will be a competition. Dont know who will win out. But he wont transfer after 1 year. He'll stay at least 2. He will get a chance to play at some point. Too good not to
Tyler Buchner could start game 1 in 2023. To say definitively it has no chance of happening is simply wrong.

Its also frustrating we are giving away a QB scholarship to Powlus.

We have to wait til after the 24 season is over til he is off the books

Reactions: BGI User 756

I don't think Carr will be good enough to beat out Minchey in 24 when Minchey has 1 year in the system. It's possible, but not likely. That means he sits for 3 years. He should have reclassified to 23. If Minchey wins, then he starts for then next 3 years. Carr will want to start somewhere before that. And of course odd man out? Buchner.

Like I said, Buchner and Carr likely leave.

Tyler Buchner could start game 1 in 2023. To say definitively it has no chance of happening is simply wrong.
I didnt say it has no chance of happening. I've said most likely is a grad transfer. Second most likely is Buchner.

But the staff is looking for a QB in the portal, make no mistake about that

I don't think Carr will be good enough to beat out Minchey in 24 when Minchey has 1 year in the system. It's possible, but not likely. That means he sits for 3 years. He should have reclassified to 23. If Minchey wins, then he starts for then next 3 years. Carr will want to start somewhere before that. And of course odd man out? Buchner.

Garbage.

It doesnt mean that at all. If Minchey doesnt excel or if Carr improves enough by his 2nd year, he will start in 25

Best players play, regardless of class

Reactions: futuredomer
I didnt say it has no chance of happening. I've said most likely is a grad transfer. Second most likely is Buchner.

But the staff is looking for a QB in the portal, make no mistake about that
Fair answer.

A QB room of Bucher, Pyne, Hartman, Angeli, and Minchey would be a very crowded room. If they can get him, I guess they should go for it.
Pyne is done after this year, if ND wants to be serious about winning a NC barring injury or just unforseen circumstances DP shouldn't take another snap at ND! I like DP he's a ND guy but, this QB play can't go on another season! And IDGAF about his record my eyes and anyone's that function properly can see he is a BELOW AVERAGE DIVISION 1 QB! A QB room w/ Hartman, Buchner, Angelli and Minchey is perfect...Powlus whatever and then CJ replaces Hartman moving forward, let the best man win period!...and get a 4-5 star top 100 QB every cycle and ND is now functioning like a NC school.

There are some definitely’s. Pyne is not starting in 2023 unless he gets taller. Buchner would not start over Leary. Everything else is a crap shoot.

ND QBs have not excited me since the days of Powlus n McDougal. Powlus never became what me n Beano cook thought he would. But I had excitement he would. McDougal was a pleasant surprise. And since then no one, not Brady Quinn, not Kiser, no one got me excited. I had high hopes for Golson and he became a campus screwball who shot his development in the foot and then became a fumbling turnover machine. I had high hopes for Wimbush who could not pass a ball into any area code. And game manager Ian Book was steady and a 4 year yawn on the excitement meter.

Surely Buchner was the answer. But again, big let down Pyne was never a factor as his limitations are glaring

But now we have a 2024 guy coming and a 2023 January enrollee who has got my attention. I hope Kenny is as good as he looks and outright wins the job in Spring ball. With a great QB I think we are natty caliber We have not had that since 1993
Interesting that you were disappointed in Quinn and Kizer but are eager and ready to anoint an untested commodity as the next coming !

Interesting that you were disappointed in Quinn and Kizer but are eager and ready to anoint an untested commodity as the next coming !
No not disappointed in Quinn or Kiser. I never said that. I said I was not excited about them. I am excited about Minchey n Carr. Was excited about Golson n Wimbush. They disappointed. Was excited about Clausen and he was solid. But my point is we have not had many top quality QBs. And not that many over the years to get excited about before they enrolled

No not disappointed in Quinn or Kiser. I never said that. I said I was not excited about them. I am excited about Minchey n Carr. Was excited about Golson n Wimbush. They disappointed. Was excited about Clausen and he was solid. But my point is we have not had many top quality QBs. And not that many over the years to get excited about before they enrolled
If we had a Gunner level commit today everyone on this site would be on the floor passed out from the celebrating and labeling Coach Freeman as Knute reincarnate. Will he get one? I think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT