ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite ND football players during the BK & Weis era

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Below is a list of my favorite players over the last ~10 years or so (BK & Weis era). I chose this era because its during the time I've followed Notre Dame most closely.

1. Manti Te'o - To this day there hasn't been a prospect i wanted an LOI more from than Manti Te'o. When he announced ND over USC it was pure jubilation in the chaseball house. 4 years and 400+ tackles later he became one of the most decorated defenders in the history of the program.

2. Tyler Eifert - The ultimate american dream/rags to riches story: under recruited 3 star with back issues that nearly cost him his career (he was literally on the verge of calling it quits) ... somehow got healthy and then materialized into the best TE of all time at TE-U, and ultimately a 1st round draft pick. So many drive-saving 3rd down clutch catches back in 2012.

3. Aaron Lynch - big long lanky freak made to play the defensive end position -- loved his intensity and unrelenting pursuit of the quarterback. When is the last time a Fr. on the defensive line had his kind of impact? To ND fans, he's like the girl that got away, the one who always makes you think "what could've been?".

4. Tommy Rees - The best QB in the BK era ... it was like watching Peyton Manning out there with the checks and pre snap reads/audibles. Glad he's coaching quarterbacks at ND.

5. Matthias Farley - A borderline 2 star recruit (rated higher than only bruce heggie & kickers), with limited football experience who is now a starting safety for the Indianapolis colts. Started at safety with a broken hand during NDs 2012 championship run .. lost his starting job somewhere along the line and still developed into a team captain. What really stood out about Farley was the constant clutch play making on defense and special teams.

6. Michael Floyd - the body of a linebacker, the hands of a WR, the speed & agility of a cornerback, and the blocking ability of a TE. Just the complete package who was a lot of fun to watch. He was a shy humble kid off the field who played the game with a ton of swagger.

7. Cierre Wood - was a rivals 5 star/ top 10 overall recruit early in the cycle -- he put up INSANE numbers in HS. Committed early to ND and never wavered. Loved his attitude/ego/swag -- a personality type that is sorely missing at ND. And then there's that 60+ yard TD run up the gut vs OU back in 2012 to consider.

8. Troy Niklas - was like having a 3rd tackle out there. Players called him "Hercules". He would absolutely maul linebackers and defensive backs (the way Quenton Nelson does defensive tackles). He was very underrated and one of the most dominant players on offense his JR year -- and then he abruptly left for the NFL.

9. Bennett Jackson - thought this guys outlook was practice squad filler; he was a low rated WR recruit who committed to a roster full of nationally rated stars at the position. Instead he became a stud gunner on special teams early in his career and then saved Notre Dame at a position they were direly thin at by developing into one of the best defensive backs on the team.

10. Jaylon Smith - he's here for the same reason mike floyd is: had the strength of a defensive tackle, the speed of a cornerback, and the instincts of a Manti Te'o. This guy was stuffing the run one play, covering a slot receiver the next, tackling the running back across the field behind the line of scrimmage, and chasing WRs down to save touchdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanFranciscoIrish
Tom Zbikowski (did I spell it right? Just typed it without looking it up)
Harrison Smith
Trevor Laws
Quenton Nelson
Theo Riddick

Favorite
1. Manti Te'o - To this day there hasn't been a prospect i wanted an LOI more from than Manti Te'o. When he announced ND over USC it was pure jubilation in the chaseball house. 4 years later he became one of the most decorated defenders in the history of the program.

2. Tyler Eifert - The ultimate american dream/rags to riches story: under recruited 3 star with back issues that nearly cost him his career (he was literally on the verge of calling it quits) ... somehow got healthy and then materialized into the best TE of all time at TE-U, and ultimately a 1st round draft pick. So many drive-saving 3rd down clutch catches back in 2012.

3. Aaron Lynch - big long lanky freak made to play the defensive end position -- loved his intensity and unrelenting pursuit of the quarterback. When is the last time a Fr. on the defensive line had his kind of impact? To ND fans, he's like the girl that got away, the one who always makes you think "what could've been?".

4. Tommy Rees - The best QB in the BK era ... it was like watching Peyton Manning out there with the checks and pre snap reads/audibles. Glad he's coaching quarterbacks at ND.

5. Matthias Farley - A borderline 2 star recruit (rated higher than only bruce heggie & kickers), with limited football experience who is now a starting safety for the Indianapolis colts. Started at safety with a broken hand during NDs 2012 championship run .. lost his starting job somewhere along the line and still developed into a team captain. What really stood out about Farley was the constant clutch play making on defense and special teams.

6. Michael Floyd - the body of a linebacker, the hands of a WR, the speed & agility of a cornerback, and the blocking ability of a TE. Just the complete package who was a lot of fun to watch. He was a shy humble kid off the field who played the game with a ton of swagger.

7. Cierre Wood - was a rivals 5 star/ top 10 overall recruit early in the cycle -- he put up INSANE numbers in HS. Committed early to ND and never wavered. Loved his attitude/ego/swag -- a personality type that is sorely missing at ND. And then there's that 60+ yard TD run up the gut vs OU back in 2012 to consider.

8. Troy Niklas - was like having a 3rd tackle out there. Players called him "Hercules". He would absolutely maul linebackers and defensive backs (the way Quenton Nelson does defensive tackles). He was very underrated and one of the most dominant players on offense his JR year -- and then he abruptly left for the NFL.

9. Bennett Jackson - thought this guys outlook was practice squad filler; he was a low rated WR recruit who committed to a roster full of nationally rated stars at the position. Instead he became a stud gunner on special teams early in his career and then saved Notre Dame at a position they were direly thin at by developing into one of the best defensive backs on the team.

10. Jaylon Smith - he's here for the same reason mike floyd is: had the strength of a defensive tackle, the speed of a cornerback, and the instincts of a Manti Te'o. This guy was stuffing the run one play, covering a slot receiver the next, tackling the running back across the field behind the line of scrimmage, and chasing WRs down to save touchdowns.
Favorite and best are not necessarily the same thing. Right?

Reactions: chaseball
1. Manti Te'o - To this day there hasn't been a prospect i wanted an LOI more from than Manti Te'o. When he announced ND over USC it was pure jubilation in the chaseball house. 4 years later he became one of the most decorated defenders in the history of the program.

You lost me on Tommy Rees. Comparing him to Peyton Manning, please stop

Reactions: francade and Buguit
Brady Quinn, Smarjda, Tate, Jaylon Smith. Manti, Zibby, Harrison Smith, Rudolph, Will Fuller, Drue Tranquill, Tevon Coney

Reactions: nemeth#5
Golden Tate, Jeff S, Josh Adams (I love his character), Jaylon Smith, Manti Te’o, Harrison Smith, Sheldon Day, Louis Nix, Stephon Tuitt, Kyle Rudolph.

And of course our big uglies on the O Line!

Colley O 'Brien.
Nope. You can't pick Coley. It's only players from the Weis/BK era for some odd reason. I would start a thread on favorite players from the Terry Brennan/Joe Kuharich era but I think only a couple of us would be able to participate.

To each his own but to have rees as your 4th favorite player in the last decade or so makes my head hurt. A glutton for punishment much? He was not the best qb in the BK era either.

To each his own but to have rees as your 4th favorite player in the last decade or so makes my head hurt. A glutton for punishment much? He was not the best qb in the BK era either.
i thought the question was " favorite " player not "best" player. i liked rees too. imagine if every nd player maximized their ability the way he did. a below average skill set who ended up as one of nd's all time passing leaders.

Nope. You can't pick Coley. It's only players from the Weis/BK era for some odd reason. I would start a thread on favorite players from the Terry Brennan/Joe Kuharich era but I think only a couple of us would be able to participate.

The Kuharich era had loads and loads of talent ... can't figure out why he couldn't win with it. Lousy coach?

So
The Kuharich era had loads and loads of talent ... can't figure out why he couldn't win with it. Lousy coach?
Some of the guys on Kuharich's teams include ...
Darryl Lamonica, Myron Pottios, Monty Stickles, Nick Buoniconti, Jim Snowden, Paul Costas, Angelo Dabiero, Bob Scarpitto, George Williams, ...

several were all-pro in the NFL.

Below is a list of my favorite players over the last ~10 years or so (BK & Weis era). I chose this era because its during the time I've followed Notre Dame most closely.

Tom Zbikowski
Brady Quinn
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith

Last edited:
If you're going to limit it to the Weis/Kelly eras ... David Ruffer.

I recognize that it was a poll about a personal favorite and not who they thought was best. All I said is that it made my head hurt if rees was anyone’s 4th favorite considering how many players have played during the last 15 years and that he wasn’t the best qb in the BK era. As for being an ND passing leader? That is a product of the system and the fact that he played so many games, not because he was one of the better qbs to play at ND, far from it. W/ the talent around him, we should’ve won a lot more. And if every player player had his abilities & maximized them the way he did, we wouldn’t have won many games.

So

Some of the guys on Kuharich's teams include ...
Darryl Lamonica, Myron Pottios, Monty Stickles, Nick Buoniconti, Jim Snowden, Paul Costas, Angelo Dabiero, Bob Scarpitto, George Williams, ...

several were all-pro in the NFL.
Not to mention future Heisman winner John Huarte and All American Jack Snow.

I recognize that it was a poll about a personal favorite and not who they thought was best. All I said is that it made my head hurt if rees was anyone’s 4th favorite considering how many players have played during the last 15 years and that he wasn’t the best qb in the BK era. As for being an ND passing leader? That is a product of the system and the fact that he played so many games, not because he was one of the better qbs to play at ND, far from it. W/ the talent around him, we should’ve won a lot more. And if every player player had his abilities & maximized them the way he did, we wouldn’t have won many games.
And had players with significantly more ability (and there were many ) had maximized their abilities like Rees did ND would have surely won a lot more games. Not sure why a lot of folks don't appreciate his contributions more.

Aaron Lynch?! I remember his off-field troubles more than I remember his actual playing time for ND. How many games did he even play for us?

My favs would be Brady Quinn, Samardjia, Zbikowski, Tate, Manti, Jaylon, Eifert, Rudolph and Zack Martin.

Last edited:
Fair enough, echo. If other players maxed out their talents as rees did, we’d have been better off, but I think the reason why he is not more appreciated is because in a lot of instances, it was his erratic play & turnovers that caused us to lose games that we should’ve won considering the surrounding talent. We’ll agree to disagree on rees but your point is well taken.

Reactions: echowaker
Golden Tate

Everett Golson

Tom Zibikowski

Tyler Eifert

Theo Riddick

Jaylen Smith

Stephon Tuitt

Josh Adams

Manti Teo

Will Fuller

On deck = TJ Jones, Jeff Smardza

Maurice Crum, Brandon Hoyte, Ndukwe, Laws, the entire 2005 defense, Maurice Stovall, Darius Walker, Schwapp, Fasano, Shelton, Travis thomas

2005 was loaded on both sides of the ball. I'm only 24 and that was the most talented ND team i remember seeing

1. Quinn
2. Shark
3. Will Fuller - Convinced he would have been a Heisman candidate if he was a 5-star recruit.
4. Jaylon Smith - Never seen a player get sideline to sideline faster.
5. Julian Love

Honorable mention: Sheldon Day, Golden Tate, Josh Adams, M. Fairley

Reactions: chaseball
That was a bad moment but no one on Planet Earth felt worse about it than Cam himself. He played hard. Did the best he could. As an Irish fan, that's all I can ask of one of our student-athletes.

He was a tough-as-hell runner, there's no denying that. It was just a very ironic moment i remember.

Aaron Lynch?! I remember his off-field troubles more than I remember his actual playing time for ND. How many games did he even play for us?

My favs would be Brady Quinn, Samardjia, Zbikowski, Tate, Manti, Jaylon, Eifert, Rudolph and Zack Martin.
Lynch was a beast his freshman year. I liked his fire on the field. He had a freshman year comparable to Clowney.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
ADVERTISEMENT