ADVERTISEMENT

Father Hesburg

Okie70

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 9, 2001
As much of a reputation the Notre Dame President has had for over 60 years did not know about his obsession with aircraft until about a month ago. Always thought he was an impressive figure. Catholic kid who was actually in the north end zone cheering for the Irish on Nov. 16, 1957. Took Bud W. 4 more years to convert me. Sorry for the background. Saw Father H. was dying to fly as fast as possible in an Air Force SR-71. And did it. So an AF pilot pal in the Bay Area- who happens to have more hours in the SR 71 than anyone- tells me he was there at that flight and recalls his training (the guy was not young then) before they put him behind the pilot. If any of you want his story will send it if I can get emails. Wonder what he is flying today? Only 48 more days until the season starts. Please, PLEASE, beat USC.

Reactions: melstew
Father Ted was indeed a great man. He reminds me of the Kipling poem "If." The part about being able to walk with kings but never lose the common touch. A man who lifted himself by lifting others, not by denigrating.

Reactions: tbonesays
Father Ted was indeed a great man. He reminds me of the Kipling poem "If." The part about being able to walk with kings but never lose the common touch. A man who lifted himself by lifting others, not by denigrating.

I had a chance to meet Father Hesburgh during my freshman year at ND. One of my dorm mates was working on a project that had the interest of Fr. Hesburgh and he was summoned to his office in the Admin Building to update him on it. He asked me if I wanted to come along and I jumped at the opportunity. While we only met with Fr. Ted for a few minutes, after my friend updated him on the project Fr. Ted took a few moments for some small talk with us. He was very engaging and could not have been nicer to us. But after looking at all the interesting photos and memorabilia in Fr. Ted's office, you sort of understood you were in the presence of a great man who had done some important things. Nonetheless, he never lost sight of the fact that he was a priest first and foremost.

I had a chance to meet Father Hesburgh during my freshman year at ND. One of my dorm mates was working on a project that had the interest of Fr. Hesburgh and he was summoned to his office in the Admin Building to update him on it. He asked me if I wanted to come along and I jumped at the opportunity. While we only met with Fr. Ted for a few minutes, after my friend updated him on the project Fr. Ted took a few moments for some small talk with us. He was very engaging and could not have been nicer to us. But after looking at all the interesting photos and memorabilia in Fr. Ted's office, you sort of understood you were in the presence of a great man who had done some important things. Nonetheless, he never lost sight of the fact that he was a priest first and foremost.
Good story.

I remember the old movies where Bing Crosby played a priest.
Basically a story of a near godlike being.

Father Ted was the real thing.

As much of a reputation the Notre Dame President has had for over 60 years did not know about his obsession with aircraft until about a month ago. Always thought he was an impressive figure. Catholic kid who was actually in the north end zone cheering for the Irish on Nov. 16, 1957. Took Bud W. 4 more years to convert me. Sorry for the background. Saw Father H. was dying to fly as fast as possible in an Air Force SR-71. And did it. So an AF pilot pal in the Bay Area- who happens to have more hours in the SR 71 than anyone- tells me he was there at that flight and recalls his training (the guy was not young then) before they put him behind the pilot. If any of you want his story will send it if I can get emails. Wonder what he is flying today? Only 48 more days until the season starts. Please, PLEASE, beat USC.
Father Hesburgh wrote about that in his autobiography. I think there were a few pictures, too.

I met Fr. Hesburgh after he was no longer president (I attended ND from 1987 to 1991), but he still lived on top of the library.

I met him three times; once late at night going through the library. The second was when I bought his autobiography. I was getting signed copies (for Christmas) and when I told him my name (Italian-American), he asked me if I spoke Italian, and signed my copy "Buon Natale" (Merry Christmas in Italian).

I then met him graduation week, as part of the festivities was meeting ND celebrities (also met Coach Holtz that way). Fr. Hesburgh took one look at me (18 months later!) and asked how my Italian was coming. True story... amazing man.

Fr. Hesburgh all suited up for his flight in the SR-71.

My understanding is that it was president Jimmy Carter who arranged for this flight in gratitude for everything Fr. Ted had done for the USA.

Hesburgh-SR-71-Feb-1979-BW-2-261x300.jpg

Fr. Hesburgh truly a great man those of who had the privilege to talk to him are very fortunate but were any of you fortunate enough to lite up a stogie with the good Father. H.

I met Fr. Hesburgh after he was no longer president (I attended ND from 1987 to 1991), but he still lived on top of the library.

I met him three times; once late at night going through the library. The second was when I bought his autobiography. I was getting signed copies (for Christmas) and when I told him my name (Italian-American), he asked me if I spoke Italian, and signed my copy "Buon Natale" (Merry Christmas in Italian).

I then met him graduation week, as part of the festivities was meeting ND celebrities (also met Coach Holtz that way). Fr. Hesburgh took one look at me (18 months later!) and asked how my Italian was coming. True story... amazing man.

That's a great story, @jrndmd. I've heard other people also express amazement at how good Fr. Ted was at remembering names and faces.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Fr. Hesburgh truly a great man those of who had the privilege to talk to him are very fortunate but were any of you fortunate enough to lite up a stogie with the good Father. H.

I've heard from others that Fr. Ted enjoyed a fine Cuban cigar from time to time. Sounds like you can confirm the rumors are true? Though I shudder to think that Fr. Ted would have ever referred to a good Cuban Cohiba or Montecristo as a "stogie." LOL!

I've heard from others that Fr. Ted enjoyed a fine Cuban cigar from time to time. Sounds like you can confirm the rumors are true? Though I shudder to think that Fr. Ted would have ever referred to a good Cuban Cohiba or Montecristo as a "stogie." LOL!
yeah, a stogie is what you used to get at the corner drug store or someplace like that.
Not a Cuban of ANY kind.

Smoked lot of different stogies in my day, and according to your definition of stogie Monte's are definitely stogies. Probably not all Cubans but some of them are like smoking the one, and only Roi-Tan brand of questionable cigars. Of all the cigars the strongest were the Toscano/Italian cigars. Corner drug store 25 cents for a pack of swisher sweets or marlboro cigs, and 29 for a gallon of reg gas at the local station. The good old days.

Reactions: irishalice

He kept an office on the top floor of the library after he retired as president, but he lived in Corby Hall.

I met him a few times myself; once when a couple of friends and I climbed the fire escape to his office in the Main Building late one night/early morning when we were coming home from a party. He opened the window and chatted with us for a few minutes but told us he liked to work at that hour so he wouldn't be disturbed, and we got the hint.

So when I was a student, he came to say Mass in our dorm (Zahm) when I was a sophomore. After the Mass, there was a reception. The president of our dorm wanted me to take a picture of him with Fr. Ted at the reception. He handed me a camera (this was 1989/1990). After I took their photo, Fr. Ted walks up to me and says, “Do you want your picture with me, too?”. I replied, “No, do you want your picture with ME?” Not sure where that comment came from, but he was gracious enough to be photographed with me.

Reactions: irishalice
Lucky for me I got to know Father Ted when you was at ND during the Ara years . Father Joyce and Father Hesburgh were a great team that built the foundation for what ND is today . Father Ted lived to almost hundred and was a very down to earth guy that lived by example - a great man in very way

So when I was a student, he came to say Mass in our dorm (Zahm) when I was a sophomore. After the Mass, there was a reception. The president of our dorm wanted me to take a picture of him with Fr. Ted at the reception. He handed me a camera (this was 1989/1990). After I took their photo, Fr. Ted walks up to me and says, “Do you want your picture with me, too?”. I replied, “No, do you want your picture with ME?” Not sure where that comment came from, but he was gracious enough to be photographed with me.
… and this is why we had to close Zahm

Smoked lot of different stogies in my day, and according to your definition of stogie Monte's are definitely stogies. Probably not all Cubans but some of them are like smoking the one, and only Roi-Tan brand of questionable cigars. Of all the cigars the strongest were the Toscano/Italian cigars. Corner drug store 25 cents for a pack of swisher sweets or marlboro cigs, and 29 for a gallon of reg gas at the local station. The good old days.
Yep...

Today.....

$12.58 for one pack of real Lucky Strikes non filter or Camel non filter.
$6.00 for self serve gas...

Can't even imagine how much a case of Guinness is in the 14.9 oz cans with widget.

Definitely not the great new days

Reactions: GDRAGONS
Yep...

Today.....

$12.58 for one pack of real Lucky Strikes non filter or Camel non filter.
$6.00 for self serve gas...

Can't even imagine how much a case of Guinness is in the 14.9 oz cans with widget.

Definitely not the great new days
Don't drink, don't smoke, don't drive....
Might as well not eat either....

Come to think of it...

all four of those are hazardous to your health....

Reactions: GDRAGONS
Don't drink, don't smoke, don't drive....
Might as well not eat either....

Come to think of it...

all four of those are hazardous to your health....
Oh no you don't...

You better add the 5th hazardous health item..

Rooting for ND.

That might actually be the worst one

My dad had just graduated from ND late 1950’s when he meet Ft Ted at an airport bar in NYC. Middle of Feb, lots of snow, delayed so my dad spent a whole afternoon with him. Said it was the best delay of his life.

ADVERTISEMENT