ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness Accounts

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
The police say that they’re often unreliable and inaccurate.

So I watched the video of the Navy game again.

And lo and behold, most of the criticisms of the offense were ………. Inaccurate and flawed.

Neither Navy’s defense nor ND’s offense varied significantly in the second half from the first half.

So what was the delta ?

For ND it was execution, for Navy it was their backup QB.

As to 9 man defensive fronts, they were confined to a few short yardage situations.

ND ONLY had 18 snaps in the second half and Freeman clearly made the call to milk the clock.

Look at how Navy dominated the TOP in the second half.

One thing is for sure, give them credit, Navy played a great game !

Reactions: Zorich 88

And lo and behold, most of the criticisms of the offense were ………. Inaccurate and flawed.

Neither Navy’s defense nor ND’s offense varied significantly in the second half from the first half.

So what was the delta ?

As to 9 man defensive fronts, they were confined to a few short yardage situations.

ND ONLY had 18 snaps in the second half and Freeman clearly made the call to milk the clock.

Cutting edge stuff right there....

So what was the delta ?

Great post

I haven’t rewatched the game, but I thought Navy took a ton more risk in the second half by literally stacking the box and blitzing on nearly every play. They dared us to pass and gambled that they could get to Pyne. They succeeded because we didn’t make them pay for their all out gamble by quick short passes across the middle. Pyne’s height and aversion to quick decisions and quick release were on full display.

Reactions: artemis gordon
Pyne’s height and aversion to quick decisions and quick release were on full display.
I'm sure you're right but it just doesn't add up. Navy players were shorter than Drew for the only time this season. He has an excellent football IQ, his family tree is full of FB players and he has been QB since he was 5 years old, so he could make the decisions if allowed. Playing the position for so long, he certainly has a quick release if needed. More likely Drew played so conservative because he was directed to. The only way to lose the game was a turnover. That's really the only thing that makes sense.

I'm sure you're right but it just doesn't add up. Navy players were shorter than Drew for the only time this season. He has an excellent football IQ, his family tree is full of FB players and he has been QB since he was 5 years old, so he could make the decisions if allowed. Playing the position for so long, he certainly has a quick release if needed. More likely Drew played so conservative because he was directed to. The only way to lose the game was a turnover. That's really the only thing that makes sense.
Yea Rees was holding back the playbook for BC and USC.

My pure guess is that Rees drills into his QBs to avoid interceptions at all cost. Pyne looks to me to be much more risk adverse than he was last year. And, he has a much lower Int % as a result. I think this accounts for his holding the ball until receivers are open, as opposed to trusting them to get open. And yes, milking the clock was obviously in play. The way the officials were calling BS pass interference on us, the damn game could have been another embarrassing loss if Navy had recovered that last onside kick.

My pure guess is that Rees drills into his QBs to avoid interceptions at all cost. Pyne looks to me to be much more risk adverse than he was last year. And, he has a much lower Int % as a result. I think this accounts for his holding the ball until receivers are open, as opposed to trusting them to get open. And yes, milking the clock was obviously in play. The way the officials were calling BS pass interference on us, the damn game could have been another embarrassing loss if Navy had recovered that last onside kick.
Milking the clock makes absolutely zero sense. Who exactly was milking the clock, the ND defense? Because they were on the field for pretty much the entire second half.

Milking the clock makes absolutely zero sense. Who exactly was milking the clock, the ND defense? Because they were on the field for pretty much the entire second half.
No one suggested they succeeded…only that they played ultra conservative as though there was never enough time for Navy to catch them. Three or four ND first downs running the ball and eating up clock would have made this game a comfortable win.

Reactions: john0gaunt
One thing for certain, BC watched this game a few times and took notes. Can Drew make the quick decisions, can he roll a little to his right and pass, and can he drop 3 and quickly throw.

We're gonna find out today.

So what was the delta ?

Dumb ass. Putting a safety at 7 yards behind the front 7 still constitutes a 8 to 9 man front. Rees even said they kept giving him loaded boxes. A loaded box for your dumb ass= safeties at 7. Plus 6-7 other defenders is 8-9 man fronts.

Give me your address. I’m gonna send you a copy of football for dummies.

Not being sarcastic to you but this is exactly what BK and now Rees do...
They promote the safe and secure routes. 3 yard curl and sit route has been the #1 option over the last dozen years.
It's safe but it's low risk low reward. Exactly why our passing game doesn't frighten anyone.

Where's the deep out? You know drive the DB hard and then cut out. Do that a few plays and the moment the db sits on that route you run a stop and go or out and up.

Crossing routes with a speed guy. Every top program runs that play. We have Lenzy. He's a great candidate for that. Nope.
Too much risk.

See thr high risk but high reward plays we are completely terrified of.

I would venture to say Rees doesn't even think it's done out of fear. It's just all he knows from BK so that's just a passing game to him.

Hence why our passing game is a joke and until the philosophy changes inserting QB X won't mean much

Reactions: NDinNJ
ND should put in the mesh play that’s the staple of every run and shoot/air raid team. And rep it over and over. One problem though the crossers will get the majority of the throws and the QB is 5-10. But that play is one of the best pass concepts in the game.

They might have it already but it’s really good and hard to cover.

Last edited:
They promote the safe and secure routes. 3 yard curl and sit route has been the #1 option over the last dozen years.
It's safe but it's low risk low reward. Exactly why our passing game doesn't frighten anyone.

Where's the deep out? You know drive the DB hard and then cut out. Do that a few plays and the moment the db sits on that route you run a stop and go or out and up.

Crossing routes with a speed guy. Every top program runs that play. We have Lenzy. He's a great candidate for that. Nope.
Too much risk.

I would venture to say Rees doesn't even think it's done out of fear. It's just all he knows from BK so that's just a passing game to him.

Hence why our passing game is a joke and until the philosophy changes inserting QB X won't mean much
Didn’t take it as sarcasm. The absence of crossing routes seems more apparent this year than any I can recall in recent memory. Frustrating like hell to watch.

Reactions: Chitown11
I’m hoping we run the ball down BCs throat all day long, with An occasional successful pass. Wind might be a big factor in today’s game, and hope we don’t need to pass to win.

Didn’t take it as sarcasm. The absence of crossing routes seems more apparent this year than any I can recall in recent memory. Frustrating like hell to watch.
I hate saying it but when we've got into the major bowl games or playoffs what beats us? Big plays.
We don't have them.

Watching without bias when top teams are playing other top teams they both gash each other with big passing plays.

Huge chunk plays.
Either catch and run or flight time itself...their staple isn't the little safe 3 yard curl and sit route.

Over the last twelve years our passing game is 3 yard curl and sit route.
Bubble screen.
Tight end might get a crossing route but never the speed guy.
And the occasional back shoulder sideline throw for around 8-12 yards.

Rinse and repeat.

Any team that sells out on our passing game like Marshall and Stanford will give us trouble because we literally can't help ourselves. We won't make them pay hitting the receiver over the top.

I’m hoping we run the ball down BCs throat all day long, with An occasional successful pass. Wind might be a big factor in today’s game, and hope we don’t need to pass to win.
That's exactly what we need to specialize in. Nobody runs power football. There is a real market there for us if we truly comitted to that

That's exactly what we need to specialize in. Nobody runs power football. There is a real market there for us if we truly comitted to that
Watching Illinois and Michigan as we post here, and like the way both play the game This year.

I hate saying it but when we've got into the major bowl games or playoffs what beats us? Big plays.
We don't have them.

Watching without bias when top teams are playing other top teams they both gash each other with big passing plays.

Huge chunk plays.
Either catch and run or flight time itself...their staple isn't the little safe 3 yard curl and sit route.

Over the last twelve years our passing game is 3 yard curl and sit route.
Bubble screen.
Tight end might get a crossing route but never the speed guy.
And the occasional back shoulder sideline throw for around 8-12 yards.

Rinse and repeat.

Any team that sells out on our passing game like Marshall and Stanford will give us trouble because we literally can't help ourselves. We won't make them pay hitting the receiver over the top.
I’m not sure Pyne can make them pay. I’m watching Baylor right now. Shapen is not a big guy. Maybe 6-0. But he can sling it and is great at throwing the quick mini dig or quick in route which is basically thrown through the B gap.

Michigan does. We have. Stanford did.

Still have to be able to throw the ball and create big plays through the air

Pyne overthrows a flat route then throws a ball in the dirt.

He made one great throw on the run. But if you were to break him down you’d find he struggles on the run throwing the ball.

Pyne is extremely inconsistent. That's why he's hovering around a 50% completion percentage.
I think it's over 60%

About to be 8-1 lifetime as a starter, undefeated against ranked opponents. Yeah, EXTREMELY inconsistent.

Not true.

In the 3rd quarter Navy’s first drive took more than 10 minutes.

I think it's over 60%

About to be 8-1 lifetime as a starter, undefeated against ranked opponents. Yeah, EXTREMELY inconsistent.
You clearly don't know much about football. He can't throw farther than 15-20 yards. He doesn't have strong arm, he's not very mobile. It's why ND lost to Stanford and struggled against Navy.

Reactions: Chitown11
I think it's over 60%

Cmon man anyone watching can see we’re winning in spite of Pyne. He’s made some decent throws the past few drives and he’s a tough kid. But the talent level of this team minus Pyne is top 5 level. That’s why he’s 8-1

Too much risk.

YOU‘RE DEAD WRONG AND THE VIDEO REPLAY CONFIRMS THAT YOU’RE WRONG.

YOU’RE CREATING A FALSE NARRATIVE NOT SUPPORTED BY THE FACTS !

You clearly don't know much about football. He can't throw farther than 15-20 yards. He doesn't have strong arm, he's not very mobile. It's why ND lost to Stanford and struggled against Navy.
He lost to Stanford because they are a 100 year old rivalry and play like the rams against ND. And he beat Navy. I don't care if he can't throw it 5 yards, is blind, and 2 feet tall. If he leaves with W's at the end of the game, he's the right guy.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
Not true, he’s aired it out for 50 !

19 Mph wind and 25 degrees with a wind chill of 11.

Watch the kickoffs to get a sense of the conditions

He lost to Stanford because they are a 100 year old rivalry and play like the rams against ND. And he beat Navy. I don't care if he can't throw it 5 yards, is blind, and 2 feet tall. If he leaves with W's at the end of the game, he's the right guy.
As someone else commented, ND is winning in spite of Pyne, not because of Pyne.

Reactions: tbonesays
Not true, he’s aired it out for 50 !

19 Mph wind and 25 degrees with a wind chill of 11.

Watch the kickoffs to get a sense of the conditions
I'm not referring to this game, I know this game is challenging with the wind and weather.

As someone else commented, ND is winning in spite of Pyne, not because of Pyne.
In your mind this is true. But tomorrow Drew will be 8-1 lifetime as a starter at ESPN and all other football sites. Only in your mind he will not get the credit.

ADVERTISEMENT