ADVERTISEMENT

Extent of Rashon Gary's Injury

rgordon

Rockne's Water Boy
Gold Member
Apr 4, 2005
Does anyone have any updated information ii Rashon Gary has a shoulder injury and, if so, the extent of the injury. I doubt that Harbaugh will be especially forthcoming on this matter.

Why would he? We don't know here either.
There is no reason for harbaugh to give out any info, and I wouldn't expect any. Only way I could see him giving out is if there's a surgery involved and extended time will be missed.

Look at a different situation like Dex. Myself and every one else including the ND press is 95% sure Dex will not play saturday, yet BK hasn't said anything, and no one is asking.

Reactions: Kelso86
There is no reason for harbaugh to give out any info, and I wouldn't expect any. Only way I could see him giving out is if there's a surgery involved and extended time will be missed.

Look at a different situation like Dex. Myself and every one else including the ND press is 95% sure Dex will not play saturday, yet BK hasn't said anything, and no one is asking.
Not much point in wasting your question that won't get answered. Don't know why fans think they should know everything. If they know so does the other team.

Reactions: Kelso86
Why all the hard ass answers?

Asking about Gary is perfectly fair and reasonable. Wish we had more Intel.

If that was not enough to ruin the Wolverines’ last weekend of the summer, star junior defensive end Rashan Gary may have also suffered a shoulder injury. Nothing is yet confirmed, but he did not partake in much of a Sunday evening scrimmage.

Nick Baumgardner

✔@nickbaumgardner

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1033839856009572352

In pads, but not doing much.

Nick Baumgardner

✔@nickbaumgardner

Rashan Gary’s in full pads today, FYI.

4:13 PM - Aug 26, 2018

Reactions: IrishMike409
just run the ball hard at him early with our 300 plus stud o-line guys pounding him so you can test that shoulder

Reactions: IrishMike409
Not much point in wasting your question that won't get answered. Don't know why fans think they should know everything. If they know so does the other team.
I think the modern sports media has created this "right to know" attitude in many fans. I've never felt that I had a right to know anything about the internal workings of the team.

Reactions: francade
Why all the hard ass answers?

Asking about Gary is perfectly fair and reasonable. Wish we had more Intel.

So let me get this straight?

You think the opposing team should tell fans the extent of an injury that could jeopardize their team’s chance of winning?

I think transparency is a good thing in sports. Who is injured, who isn't, who is starting, who is getting benched, etc. It isn't about having a right to know, but simply, it would be good to know. These are entertainment industries funded by ticket/merchandise/ad revenue/etc. from the public. I think being transparent is providing fans with a better product. The reason these organizations take press conferences in the first place is for this very reason. To inform the public of all things relating to the product.

The reason injury, and depth chart issues have become more of a taboo topic is because coaches more recently have started questioning whether or not it's giving some competitive advantage to the other team. This is a highly controversial stance and debatable topic as only SOME organizations/coaches care enough to withhold depth chart/injury information, not really believing there's ANY competitive advantage by releasing such information.

For me personally, I would be a much more engaged fan/customer if ND was far more transparent. Open practices, open press conferences (without any topics off limits regarding the football program), etc. There has been a dramatic shift from the first year or two of BKs press conferences to the last couple of years. We get absolutely NO information from them these days essentially. And the only info we get is ND propaganda.

There should be no reason a coach should have to tell his opponent where their weak/injured spots are! Don't give me the "These are entertainment industries funded by tickets....etc" They are funded based on their competitiveness and giving out your weaknesses doesn't help you compete! The NFL has an injury report, but that is based solely on Vegas.

Gary had a chronic shoulder injury all of last year. It may be the same condition. The former football players on this forum will tell you there is no such thing as not being hurt once you hit the season. Trauma that makes un non-athletes pack it in for the week are just another obstacle.

That all said if the shoulder is chronic, Gary's snaps may have to be managed. I had a correspondence with FriedmanIP where I pointed out UM's defensive efficiency went off a cliff after the 3rd possession of the 2nd half. It is possible part of this contribution was Gary's shoulder getting worse as the game progressed.

The implication to me is that the most likely scenario is that Gary can operate at 100% for maybe 40 snaps. Last year there was a very large dropoff between the starter and backup. There will always be a drop off when you have a 285 pound man who faster and more agile than the opposing RB. Don Brown will have to decide how to meter this.

One possible solution may be more 3-3-5 packages. Don Brown loves tweener speed rushers who have to learn pass protection skills so they are not tipping their hand. A good example is Josh Uche who is entering his 3rd year. This would give UM 4 very fast linebackers in a passing situation to say choose 2 or more to blitz.

Bottom line is there is no way to make lemonaide when you have to game plan not playing your best player every snap. Last year it was not an option. If I think it is something that can get better I might play Gary the 1st week and not show him again until week 4. If the injury is even more significant I would not play him at all because as nice as a ND victory is, it is more important to win in the Big10.

If I were told UM would lose games but I could pick, I would pick ND as that is a recoverable loss.

Last edited:
Fellas. I would think that HIPAA is in place here. Same with the Dexter situation. Right to privacy unless athlete or guardians says otherwise. It's not up to Harbaugh or BK or any other HC. Or am I wrong here?

You think the opposing team should tell fans the extent of an injury that could jeopardize their team’s chance of winning?
No, I don't. The poster simply asked if anyone had advanced intel. Is it not reasonable to want to know?

Reactions: bizzybecknd
This thread has gone off the tracks.

OP literally asked for updated info on Michigan's best player. Nothing outrageous being asked. Unless you have updated Gary info, why not move on?

Reactions: Pennick4
This thread has gone off the tracks.

OP literally asked for updated info on Michigan's best player. Nothing outrageous being asked. Unless you have updated Gary info, why not move on?
The OP said Harbaugh isn't going to release any info on Gary, but asked if anyone on this board has info? No big deal, but no reason to ask. If harbaugh isn't giving it out no one is getting ig.

How do you get this from anything that has been posted here? A fan inquiring about the injury and playing status of the best player on the field is somehow inferring that fans have the right to know everything and opposing fans should tell all... really confused on how this simple question got derailed by the sensitivity of some.

The implication to me is that the most likely scenario is that Gary can operate at 100% for maybe 40 snaps.

The implication to me is that BK will re-institute the hurry_up_&&_checkwith_me. . . TIMEOUT

that's what l used to love about Pete Carroll..he would tell u everything..hell half the time his practices were open....and his teams still kicked ass..hate all this secrecy..reminds me of fatty Weis with the whole QB thing before the GT game..yeah how'd that work out..

that's what l used to love about Pete Carroll..he would tell u everything..hell half the time his practices were open....and his teams still kicked ass..hate all this secrecy..reminds me of fatty Weis with the whole QB thing before the GT game..yeah how'd that work out..
Saban is very secretive with his practice and strategy... hows that work for him? I can't believe people are finding yet another reason to complain about BK.... Seriously upset because he isn't open enough about practice?

How do you get this from anything that has been posted here? A fan inquiring about the injury and playing status of the best player on the field is somehow inferring that fans have the right to know everything and opposing fans should tell all... really confused on how this simple question got derailed by the sensitivity of some.

Orrrrrrrrr......

You and others could just subscribe & get the intel you want.
But I always hear people say “I’m not paying for info” which is fine, but then don’t beg for it.

On Saturday I posted a thread stating that Black has a fractured foot & would be out...Saturday night I posted that ! It wasn’t public until today...
How did I know?

To answer your question, the Senior Editor at the Michigan site already informed our site. He also discussed Gary. So we do know his status, & we have been discussing it for two days.
I have even shared the info with many on here.

So yes, people do know. So stop with all the “transparency” talk.

Watch a Jim Harbaugh interview, especially the one from today and be extremely happy we have kelly.

What does Pete have to show for it?
He had his only BCS title stripped from him & USC put on a bowl ban, loss of scholarships, vacated wins, & probation.
Awesome...

I think people need to be reminded that these are unpaid student-athletes. With that said, if they want their information about them to be private. It should be so. I have no problem with that.

Coach talk? Just check when the point spread changed in Las Vegas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT