ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: J̶a̶c̶k̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶r̶n̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶Kenny Minchey!

Notre Dame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 9, 2021
I do agree Novosad is likely a home body. We want a kid not afraid to compete and kids that think big. A kid like Minchey may not thrive at ND if he’s looking for a path of least resistance and doesn’t care about the biggest stage. The Dante’s and Arnold’s are the kids you want if they are willing to compete at real programs with real chances to win titles.

Edit: Minchey is that kid! Let’s hope he’s Irish! I like him more than Arnold.

I think our only shot, albeit very small, is Jackson Arnold. I think our shot is very low, but there a a few things we have going for us.

1. Oklahoma is a disaster. Their fan base has fully turned on the staff. Not a lot of hope in that program.
2. Peyton Bowen is committed to ND and they’re on the same team.
3. He admitted at one point that ND was his runner up.
4. He had a relationship with Rees.
5. Rees likes to throw the ball way more than he should even with a bad quarterback. The bowl game was evidence of that.
6. Early playing time
7. Elite OL
8. Greathouse, Merriweather, Styles, Colzie, James, Flores
9. Texas pipeline - James, Greathouse, Bowen, etc
10. Lebby wants a HC job and if not gone this year, he will be gone after next year.
11. Far more prestigious education. While probably less important, still a savvy thing to consider.

I still think the chances are very very slim he flips, but if you were ever going all in on someone, this is the kid and this is the time. Make him every promise there is to make. A full and legitimate shot at starting as a true freshman, face of the 2023 class, future of the position.

Last edited:
A good scenario would be a flip on signing day from someone like Arnold and then you also bring in a grad transfer.

A good scenario would be a flip on signing day from someone like Arnold and then you also bring in a grad transfer.
Cade McNamara will definitely be looking to transfer and he was originally a Notre Dame commit. Not sure as to whether or not he'd be graduating yet.

I do agree Novosad is likely a home body. We want a kid not afraid to compete and kids that think big. A kid like Minchey wouldn’t thrive at ND as he’s looking for a path of least resistance and doesn’t care about the biggest stage. The Dante’s and Arnold’s are the kids you want.

I think our only shot, albeit very small, is Jackson Arnold. I think our shot is very low, but there a a few things we have going for us.

1. Oklahoma is a disaster. Their fan base has fully turned on the staff. Not a lot of hope in that program.
5. Rees likes to throw the ball way more than he should even with a bad quarterback. The bowl game was evidence of that.
6. Early playing time
7. Elite OL
10. Lebby wants a HC job and if not gone this year, he will be gone after next year.
11. Far more prestigious education. While probably less important, still a savvy thing to consider.

I still think the chances are very very slim he flips, but if you were ever going all in on someone, this is the kid and this is the time. Make him every promise there is to make. A full and legitimate shot at starting as a true freshman, face of the 2023 class, future of the position.
I think the door is shutting on a serious QB this year. It's looking more likely ND will go for a big fish in transfer portal to compete next year with Buchner then let Buchner have a year or two while carr preps.

There should be a few possibilities that are very intriguing behind our line

I think the door is shutting on a serious QB this year. It's looking more likely ND will go for a big fish in transfer portal to compete next year with Buchner then let Buchner have a year or two while carr preps.

I agree. We aren't in on any highly ranked qbs that can actually make a difference next year.

Need to go all on the transfer market

I think you do both. Get Arnold, Chiles, or Marcus Stokes and then also take someone like Leary.

I do agree Novosad is likely a home body. We want a kid not afraid to compete and kids that think big. A kid like Minchey wouldn’t thrive at ND as he’s looking for a path of least resistance and doesn’t care about the biggest stage. The Dante’s and Arnold’s are the kids you want.

6. Early playing time
7. Elite OL

Did you watch Minchey's tape? The kid is a real deal. The only issue is his shoulder. He can make all the throws, effortlessly.

Reactions: mirer03
Did you watch Minchey's tape? The kid is a real deal. The only issue is his shoulder. He can make all the throws, effortlessly.
Minchey came out of nowhere. Nobody saw this coming. Not even the staff as he apparently called them up and said, hey, I changed my mind.

Yes, I watched his tape. I love Minchey. I like him more than Arnold. I just didn't think we was in the picture. I think he's very similar to Dante Moore. He took 5th at the Elite 11 and actually beat Dante in the accuracy competition on Day 2. He is pathetically underrated by rivals, which is a joke, and likely punishment for missing a camp or something. 247 and On3 have him as a solid 4 star QB. He is a legit top 10-15 QB that in my opinion, has the potential to be a super star and starter for 4 years at ND. I am extremely high on Minchey and I have watched a lot of his tape. He has elite touch on his balls. He has nearly perfect mechanics for a high school QB. He throws off his back foot as he should. He uses his lower body in all of his throws so he hardly even has to try to throw it 40 yards as the ball just floats out of his hand. I think if he wanted to, he could throw it 60-70 yards due to his lower body strength and the technique he uses to throw with his lower body and minimal arm effort. He is arguably the most consistent QB in the class according to SI evaluation at Elite 11. He is stout, athletic, and composed. He is recently confirmed as 6'2 by the way, which is the perfect height. He can gain yardage on the ground if he wants, but is a true pocket passer that makes all of the throws with elite accuracy. He is the total package, imo. I haven't been this excited about a QB since Everett Golson.

Last edited:
Minchey came out of nowhere. Nobody saw this coming. Not even the staff as he apparently called them up and said, hey, I changed my mind.

Yes, I watched his tape. I love Minchey. I like him more than Arnold. I just didn't think we was in the picture. I think he's very similar to Dante Moore. He took 5th at the Elite 11 and actually beat Dante in the accuracy competition on Day 2. He is pathetically underrated by rivals, which is a joke, and likely punishment for missing a camp or something. 247 and On3 have him as a solid 4 star QB. He is a legit top 10-15 QB that in my opinion, has the potential to be a super star and starter for 4 years at ND. I am extremely high on Minchey and I have watched a lot of his tape. He has elite touch on his balls. He has nearly perfect mechanics for a high school QB. He throws off his back foot as he should. He uses his lower body in all of his throws so he hardly even has to try to throw it 40 yards as the ball just floats out of his hand. I think if he wanted to, he could throw it 60-70 yards due to his lower body strength and the technique he uses to throw with his lower body and minimal arm effort. He is arguably the most consistent QB in the class according to SI evaluation at Elite 11. He is stout, athletic, and composed. He is recently confirmed as 6'2 by the way, which is the perfect height. He can gain yardage on the ground if he wants, but is a true pocket passer that makes all of the throws with elite accuracy. He is the total package, imo. I haven't been this excited about a QB since Everett Golson.
If 6-2 is the perfect height for a CFB QB according to you, I would take 5-11 Bryce Young all day every day, and twice on Sundays.

If 6-2 is the perfect height for a CFB QB according to you, I would take 5-11 Bryce Young all day every day, and twice on Sundays.
It's generally considered the right height for a QB. I don't think it's a bad thing.

Good write up. I’ve watched some of his tape; and you’re right, he throws the ball forty yards with seemingly little effort, and with accuracy. The pressure of playing QB in college, the speed of the athletes, and the complexity of the defenses, etc… turn a lot of quality high school QBs into mediocre QBs at the next level. That said, I share your enthusiasm about his potential and hope like he’ll we get him.

we hear these same stories every year about a player everybody swears the industry got wrong and 9 times out of 10 the industry is the one who ends up getting it right in the end.

I see minchey for what he is right now: a solid plan B and a nice warm body to add to the QB room (you take a QB every year no matter what especially with transfer portal). ND was flirting with dudes ranked way down in the high 3 figures Minchey is a huge improvement in that context but he's a long shot to have any kind of impact at ND especially with CJ Carr and the '25 & '26 kids ND will be on.

we hear these same stories every year about a player everybody swears the industry got wrong and 9 times out of 10 the industry is the one who ends up getting it right in the end.

I see minchey for what he is right now: a solid plan B and a nice warm body to add to the QB room (you take a QB every year no matter what especially with transfer portal). ND was flirting with dudes ranked way down in the high 3 figures Minchey is a huge improvement in that context but he's a long shot to have any kind of impact at ND especially with CJ Carr and the '25 & '26 kids ND will be on.
Thanks Mel Kiper. Good to have you hear telling us what Kenny Minchey will look like in September -2025.

A "longshot...." to have any kind of impact. Again. Thank you.

Thanks Mel Kiper. Good to have you here telling us what Kenny Minchey will definitively look like in September--2025.

A "...longshot..." to have any kind of impact. Again. Thank You.
Mel Kiper does his own scouting reports .. i just defer to the collective opinions of the industry because im not arrogant enough to think my uneducated individual opinion is more accurate

Minchey is a prospect ranked about where Pyne was, and the fact that we're getting the production from Pyne that we are is a minor miracle in and of itself. Expecting Minchey to have a greater impact, despite coming in ranked below NDs standard at the position is setting yourself up for big disappointment.

If we get Pyne like production from Minchey 3 years down the road we'll be lucky.

Mel Kiper does his own scouting reports .. i just defer to the collective opinions of the industry because im not arrogant enough to think my uneducated individual opinion is more accurate

Minchey is a prospect ranked about where Pyne was, and the fact that we're getting the production from Pyne that we are is a minor miracle in and of itself. Expecting Minchey to have a greater impact, despite coming in ranked below NDs standard at the position is setting yourself up for big disappointment.

If we get Pyne like production from Minchey 3 years down the road we'll be lucky.
Qb rankings are usually some of the worst to be honest.

Gotta watch the film. He has ability

We'll see how he develops

In terms of just pure talent, he has more than Pyne or Book of recent years

Lamar Jackson 3 star
Josh Allen 3 star
Joe Burrow 4 star
Russell Wilson 3 star
Patrick Mahomes 3 star
Derek Carr 3 star
Justin Herbert 3 star
Tua 4 star
Mac Jones 3 star
Zach Wilson 3 star
Kenny Pickett 3 star
Ryan Tannehill 3 star
Marcus Mariota 3 star
PJ Walker 3 star
Dak Prescott 3 star
Jared Goff 4 star
Aaron Rodgers 3 star
Kirk Cousins 3 star
Andy Dalton 3 star
Jalen Hurts 4 star
Jimmy Garroppolo 2 star
Geno Smith 4 star
Tom Brady (unranked likely 3 star max if there were rankings back then)
Taylor Heinicke 0 star

Good call. Minchey, a solid 4 star QB and 5th place finisher at the Elite 11, in one of the better QB classes in recent memory, is ranked substantially higher than 90% of NFL starters. Maybe they should hire you to help them better draft prospects since the guys they decide to put out on the field are such chumps.

Last edited:
We’ll likely be going up against a weak BC offensive line and a red shirt freshman QB who was ranked as a low three star and the 103 QB in the class of 21. He has impressed in the two games he has started.

Lamar Jackson 3 star
Josh Allen 3 star
Joe Burrow 4 star
Russell Wilson 3 star
Patrick Mahomes 3 star
Derek Carr 3 star
Justin Herbert 3 star
Tua 4 star
Mac Jones 3 star
Zach Wilson 3 star
Kenny Pickett 3 star
Ryan Tannehill 3 star
Marcus Mariota 3 star
PJ Walker 3 star
Dak Prescott 3 star
Jared Goff 4 star
Aaron Rodgers 3 star
Kirk Cousins 3 star
Andy Dalton 3 star
Jalen Hurts 4 star
Jimmy Garroppolo 2 star
Geno Smith 4 star
Taylor Heinicke 0 star

Good call. Minchey, a solid 4 star QB and 5th place finisher at the Elite 11, in one of the better QB classes in recent memory, is ranked substantially higher than 90% of NFL starters. Maybe they should hire you to help them better draft prospects since the guys they decide to put out on the field are such chumps.
These arguments always make me chuckle. What about the other thousands of QBs that performed to their star ranking over that time period that weren't mentioned?

These arguments always make me chuckle. What about the other thousands of QBs that performed to their star ranking over that time period that weren't mentioned?
Watch film and form your own conclusions, instead of letting the "industry..." do your thinking for you.

Or allow a 17-year-old to develop over the next 3 years and see what transpires down the road, instead of telling us that he won't make an impact.

Watch film and form your own conclusions, instead of letting the "industry..." do your thinking for you.

Or allow a 17-year-old to develop over the next 3 years and see what transpires down the road, instead of telling us that he won't make an impact.
I said likely, odds are, etc.

ND struck out on its top QB targets this class, Minchey is a consolation prize. These are facts. Lets keep it real. Is it possible he's a rare gem/diamond in the rough? Yes but that's possible for the other however many hundreds of QBs who will be signing LOIs this class.

Qb rankings are not overly accurate. Hard position to evaluate.

Evaluate the tools. This kid has some

We'll see

Lamar Jackson 3 star
Josh Allen 3 star
Joe Burrow 4 star
Russell Wilson 3 star
Patrick Mahomes 3 star
Derek Carr 3 star
Justin Herbert 3 star
Tua 4 star
Mac Jones 3 star
Zach Wilson 3 star
Kenny Pickett 3 star
Ryan Tannehill 3 star
Marcus Mariota 3 star
PJ Walker 3 star
Dak Prescott 3 star
Jared Goff 4 star
Aaron Rodgers 3 star
Kirk Cousins 3 star
Andy Dalton 3 star
Jalen Hurts 4 star
Jimmy Garroppolo 2 star
Geno Smith 4 star
Taylor Heinicke 0 star

Remember that star rankings also take things like size and level of competition into account.

Alright dude, we got it. He's probably going to suck. Thank you.....

Please don't keep doing this. Are you almost done? Seriously, we know the routine, you got your analytics, the numbers don't lie, and the rest of your little spiel. It's pretty transparent at this point. This kid is pretty highly rated, even though it's true he wasn't our first choice. He did really well at the Elite 11, so he's got a fair amount to hang his hat on as a prospect. I love this guy, he's my personal top choice in this class, and I would hate to see him have to come in for the chaseball treatment. He doesn't deserve it. And everyone on the board seems to like him, and are bowled over by his arm talent. It's pretty much unanimous.....

You're obviously a little restless, is there any way you can find some other outlet for your frustrations? To just let this one slide, even though you're itching to keep belittling him?

So, why did you say this: A kid like Minchey wouldn’t thrive at ND as he’s looking for a path of least resistance and doesn’t care about the biggest stage.

What’s his F+ rating though

So, why did you say this: A kid like Minchey wouldn’t thrive at ND as he’s looking for a path of least resistance and doesn’t care about the biggest stage.
Well, I do not think anyone expected him to change his mind. This was a hell of a curve ball. It was a shock to even the coaches and a very nice surprise. The kid has gumption. We now know he’s a winner, not afraid to compete, wants to do big things, and the fact that he did what he wanted even though it was likely very difficult to displease Pitt, makes him even more of one. My money is on Minchey to start at least 3 years at ND. I love CJ Carr too and he’s going to have his time, but something tells me Minchey is going to be the guy first.

Last edited:

Yeah...not enough stars. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT