ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Oliver Houston DE

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
Google the incident or go to ESPN and watch. As my coach used to say "you cant win with losers".

All American candidate & potential #1 pick has basically packed in his Junior year to get ready for the draft. He has missed 4 games with a "knee". Yet he was running around in pre game warm ups like a kid on a playground? Then he gets in Major Applewhites face at half time when the coach enfoces a rule about sideline dress code.

Thats why in this narcissistic age of look at me, me, me, these player star rankings are complete BS, and the clowns who spend their time star gazing and then try to project the future of a football team based on this nonsense, are just wasting their time.

As it relates to College Football i will take the Jerry Tillerys of the world EVERY DAY and you can star gaze into the eyes of Aaron Lynch' J Clowney, J Bosa & Ed Oliver

Then we can go play and i will beat your ass. Why? Because my guy has bought in for 5 years and is committed and your (5 STAR oh my!) has packed it in and is running out the clock trying to stay healthy for the draft.

ND is 10-0 because of the RKGs. Not these ridiculous star rankings. If you are obsessed with those things you should get a new hobby. Because you are wasting your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
Ooof.... I knew this type of take was coming but I was not expecting this type of commitment to the game. Kudos!

What I don't understand is why the head coach and the athletic department are lying or covering for Oliver. The guy was running around pre-game, playing catch and jumping for passes. His knee appears fine. Why not tell the truth - he's done for the year and focusing on the draft - which is blatantly obvious to EVERYONE. Why lie about a supposed injury?

Also - if he has "quit" on the team and is waiting for the draft, WHY IN THE HELL would the head coach still let him be a part of the team. Travelling with the team, partaking in team activities and standing on the sidelines. Strange story.

From what I heard on "Golic" this morning, other players were told to take off the coats also. Eddie my man wasn't the only one. Plus, as Tedy Bruschi said, if a rule is in place for the team and a star player is getting away with breaking the rule, all the other players will start to question the HC. Makes sense. Anyway, major distraction for Houston. That's their problem.

Reactions: Kelso86
What I don't understand is why the head coach and the athletic department are lying or covering for Oliver. The guy was running around pre-game, playing catch and jumping for passes. His knee appears fine. Why not tell the truth - he's done for the year and focusing on the draft - which is blatantly obvious to EVERYONE. Why lie about a supposed injury?

Also - if he has "quit" on the team and is waiting for the draft, WHY IN THE HELL would the head coach still let him be a part of the team. Travelling with the team, partaking in team activities and standing on the sidelines. Strange story.

They’re “covering” for him because they don’t want to say he’s quit the season to get ready to play in the NFL. Publicly bad-mouthing your own player will hurt you in recruiting even if it’s just perceived that it’s bad-mouthing.

Extrapolating the incident into a condemnation of any star evaluation system is just rediculous.

10-0 ND
5-5. USC

Is the condemnation of the "Star/BS" evals. So was last years 49-14 beat down by NDs current back up QB and that teams First Round Draft Choice QB.

Stars are complete BS or BK is a genius. Either way you end up with egg all over your face. Per Usual.

Of course you want to defend him. Let me guess he’s a good boy who did nothing wrong? We’re all racists?
Not even defending Oliver. My issue with the take is this notion that ND shouldn't need/want players who are focused on the NFL evidently because they aren't right kind of guys or whatever that meaningless bullshit is. I also take issue with any position that is critical of Oliver sitting out when Houston's position in the conference is essentially set.

Last edited:
10-0 ND
5-5. USC

Is the condemnation of the "Star/BS" evals. So was last years 49-14 beat down by NDs current back up QB and that teams First Round Draft Choice QB.

Stars are complete BS or BK is a genius. Either way you end up with egg all over your face. Per Usual.
I mean BK being a Top 10 coach is probably just as significant as Clay Helton being a coach somewhere in the 60's for D1 guys.

Ed Oliver has played 30+ games for Houston while being the best player on the field in most of those games, while providing virtually free labor and being a walking money machine and billboard for the university.

If he wants to be extra cautious with a knee issue leading up to the final month before he's FINALLY able to cash in on his lucrative skill set, in this corrupt/oligarchic/exploitative american football system, I don't see any problem with that.

And Houston (and every other college football program in the country for that matter) would take a million more Ed Olivers every recruiting cycle every single opportunity they possibly could without ever batting an eye at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
If he wants to be extra cautious with a knee issue leading up to the final month before he's FINALLY able to cash in on his lucrative skill set, in this corrupt/oligarchic american football system, I don't see any problem with that.

Then call a spade a spade and shut it down, like Bosa did.

Reactions: francade
Then call a spade a spade and shut it down, like Bosa did.

So the only evidence that he is "lying" about his knee is that he was seen playing catch/jogging during pre game? o_O

People do know that exerting full throttle energy during a game is entirely different than throwing a football around or random horseplay during pre game right? Especially when it comes to the best well conditioned athletes in the world.

Guys who tear their ACL (a season ending injury) can throw a football around, bend, jump, or whatever and look otherwise fine on the sideline .. it's the pain from hard planting/cutting that makes that injury debilitating.

We have no clue what Oliver's health condition is .. and what his doctor's think he can and can't do. And jumping to conclusions without having any real insight into the situation is simpleton thinking.

Last edited:
Thank the media for this. They kiss The players ass so much and basically tell them they shouldn’t even bother playing.

Reactions: zro pts4u
So the only evidence that he is "lying" about his knee is that he was seen playing catch/jogging during pre game? o_O

People do know that exerting full throttle energy during a game is entirely different than throwing a football around or random horseplay during pre game right? Especially when it comes to the best well conditioned athletes in the world.

Guys who tear their ACL (a season ending injury) can throw a football around, bend, jump, or whatever and look otherwise fine on the sideline .. it's the pain from hard planting/cutting that makes that injury debilitating.
if he's trying to recover from a supposed knee injury, there's no way he's out on the field pre-game doing what he was doing. No freakin way. No way the coaches allow it. And certainly no way, self-promoting Ed Oliver would risk further injury and damage his NFL stock.

Quit making excuses.

They’re “covering” for him because they don’t want to say he’s quit the season to get ready to play in the NFL. Publicly bad-mouthing your own player will hurt you in recruiting even if it’s just perceived that it’s bad-mouthing.
No need to "bad mouth" the player. Do what they did with Bosa. He left the team to concentrate on training for the draft. We wish him well.

How is that bad mouthing?

Nobody wonders about the player and it removes the player from team activities. In Oliver's case, getting this cancer away from the rest of the team would be welcomed.

No need to "bad mouth" the player. Do what they did with Bosa. He left the team to concentrate on training for the draft. We wish him well.

How is that bad mouthing?

Nobody wonders about the player and it removes the player from team activities. In Oliver's case, getting this cancer away from the rest of the team would be welcomed.
How about we wish Alex Bars well for sticking by the team and becoming arguably even more of a leader by coaching up Banks and the young guys.

You can make the argument what bosa did negatively effected team chemistry

Ed Oliver has played 30+ games for Houston while being the best player on the field in most of those games, while providing virtually free labor and being a walking money machine and billboard for the university.

If he wants to be extra cautious with a knee issue leading up to the final month before he's FINALLY able to cash in on his lucrative skill set, in this corrupt/oligarchic/exploitative american football system, I don't see any problem with that.

And Houston (and every other college football program in the country for that matter) would take a million more Ed Olivers every recruiting cycle every single opportunity they possibly could without ever batting an eye at it.
This will not be a popular taek

So no one thinks a coach telling his players that they are only allowed to have a coat on the sideline if they are helping that coach use that kids talent into getting a better job down the road is wrong.

Plus putting his hands on him and forcibly trying to take it off is ok to huh?

So no one thinks a coach telling his players that they are only allowed to have a coat on the sideline if they are helping that coach use that kids talent into getting a better job down the road is wrong.

Plus putting his hands on him and forcibly trying to take it off is ok to huh?
LOL... bruh you came to the wrong place.

Google the incident or go to ESPN and watch. As my coach used to say "you cant win with losers".

All American candidate & potential #1 pick has basically packed in his Junior year to get ready for the draft. He has missed 4 games with a "knee". Yet he was running around in pre game warm ups like a kid on a playground? Then he gets in Major Applewhites face at half time when the coach enfoces a rule about sideline dress code.

Thats why in this narcissistic age of look at me, me, me, these player star rankings are complete BS, and the clowns who spend their time star gazing and then try to project the future of a football team based on this nonsense, are just wasting their time.

As it relates to College Football i will take the Jerry Tillerys of the world EVERY DAY and you can star gaze into the eyes of Aaron Lynch' J Clowney, J Bosa & Ed Oliver

Then we can go play and i will beat your ass. Why? Because my guy has bought in for 5 years and is committed and your (5 STAR oh my!) has packed it in and is running out the clock trying to stay healthy for the draft.

ND is 10-0 because of the RKGs. Not these ridiculous star rankings. If you are obsessed with those things you should get a new hobby. Because you are wasting your time.

Good for you. And Oliver will join Bosa and Clowney in the NFL and make more money in a year than you will in your life. You're the same dude who thought St. Brown and Kizer should have stayed at Notre Dame instead of going into the NFL. Now they make money for themselves playing a game they love while you rip on them. Why do give a shit about Oliver? He doesn't play for Notre Dame. Houston isn't a threat to the Irish this year or any other year in football. Get off your soapbox Coach. It's a free country. Maybe if Jaylon Smith had sat out the meaningless game against OSU a few years ago and not been injured, he would be pulling down what he's worth instead of the money he had to take by being drafted later due to his injury.

Reactions: SALittleGiant513
This is a strange situation that we’re experiencing now w/ players basically quitting in the middle of the season so they don’t get hurt. It’s understandable because of how much dough is on the table but it’s gotta be tough to say F you, teammates & coaches, I’m shutting it down. I wish there was some kind of insurance policy for these types so they can play out their college careers w/o worry of injury. I know these types of policies exist but I don’t know how reasonable it would be cost-wise. The risk is there so I think this only gets worse but I don’t like what’s it’s doing to the game. Team’s best players sitting out bowls (or seasons) sucks, but it’s a necessary evil for those that choose that route.

This is a strange situation that we’re experiencing now w/ players basically quitting in the middle of the season so they don’t get hurt. It’s understandable because of how much dough is on the table but it’s gotta be tough to say F you, teammates & coaches, I’m shutting it down. I wish there was some kind of insurance policy for these types so they can play out their college careers w/o worry of injury. I know these types of policies exist but I don’t know how reasonable it would be cost-wise. The risk is there so I think this only gets worse but I don’t like what’s it’s doing to the game. Team’s best players sitting out bowls (or seasons) sucks, but it’s a necessary evil for those that choose that route.

Yes, the policy should be that the players earn what they are worth, RIGHT NOW, not several years off in the future if they are lucky enough to make an NFL roster.

College football needs a courageous influential superstar to create some kind of strike that other big time players can rally behind. Where they all walk out of a game with their teammates before kickoff leaving all those corporate sponsors/ university presidents/millionaire coaches with their collective dicks in their hands.

And then they need to never play another FBS snap until they are able to unionize and bargain collectively and have a say. And finally put an end to this "student athlete", "academic mission" (or other such farce terminology) that allows universities around the country to exploit the hell out of them.

Last edited:
“Yes, the policy should be that the players earn what they are worth, RIGHT NOW, not several years off in the future if they are lucky enough to make an NFL roster.

College football needs a courageous influential superstar to create some kind of strike that other big time players can rally behind. Where they all walk out of a game with their teammates before kickoff leaving all those corporate sponsors/ universitypresidents/millionaire coaches with their collective dicks in their hands.

And then they need to never play another FBS snap until they are able to unionize and bargain collectively and have a say. And finally put an end to this "student athlete", "academic mission" (or other such farce terminology) that allows universities around the country to exploit the hell out of them.”

Couldn’t disagree more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT