ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees Will Be Game Analyst for ND Games on NBC

Dec 7, 2007
I see that NBC announced that Drew Brees will become the game analyst for ND games, replacing Tony Dungy. Mike Tirico will still be calling the play-by-play. That is an interesting development. I am not sure what kind of analyst Brees will turn out to be, but he has always struck me as a very bright guy. Hopefully he will be insightful.

I see that NBC announced that Drew Brees will become the game analyst for ND games, replacing Tony Dungy. Mike Tirico will still be calling the play-by-play. That is an interesting development. I am not sure what kind of analyst Brees will turn out to be, but he has always struck me as a very bright guy. Hopefully he will be insightful.
I liked Dungy a ton, but thought his energy and enthusiasm had declined noticeably In recent years. That said, I still prefer a soft spoken less energized Dungy to most of the analysts on TV, and hope Brees is the exception. He gives a great interview and is well spoken, and knows the game like a seasoned coach, so I am cautiously optimistic. As long as he doesn’t arrive with an anti Irish bias!

This is a real disappointment. Dungy couldn't have been any more perfect for ND broadcasts, which are already as everyone knows very low-key and low-energy. And Dungy fit the mood perfectly. After years of struggling to find just the right tone and voices to perfectly suit the broadcast as a whole, they're going to dump him - for a rookie with no experience at all.

That's definitely disappointing.

I also liked Dungy. I thought he was respectful of ND's history and traditions, and I enjoyed the insights he brought to the game. Dungy was understated, but he made me see things about the game I wouldn't have picked up on my own. That's what a good analyst should do. I also appreciated that Dungy was never overly critical about a player even when pointing out a mistake. I think that is important with a college analyst. When you're doing analysis of an NFL game, I think it is ok for an analyst to be more pointed with his criticism, sort of like Johnny Miller brought to the golf game. But with college kids, I like the criticism to be a little more toned down. Maybe I am old fashioned in that respect, but that is my view of things.

I hope Brees will bring the same insights to the game that Dungy did. We can hope. Obviously Brees is smart and has a great understanding of the game, but being able to communicate that understanding is a different talent.

I like Drew Brees, but he’s a Purdue guy, a one time, big time rival

Is this going to be like having Pat Haden call the games ?

I really have not had a problem having a Stanford, BC, USC, Florida or a Purdue guy doing ND home games. But why not try having a Notre Dame guy doing games. Come on NBC.

Reactions: francade
ADVERTISEMENT