ADVERTISEMENT

Does Buchner getting hurt save Rees’s job?

clover3ND

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 9, 2008
Or a minimum, give him a bit more breathing room?

At the end of the day, QB recruiting, QB development, preparation, and offensive play calling ALL land on his shoulders, but is it an easier pill for administration to swallow when you can’t move the ball with a back up QB?

In most cases it’s expected to see a slight drop in offensive performance from starting to backup QB, but how much is really acceptable? And how much rope does the administration/Freeman give him?

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

I guess it could. Is there some reason you want Rees to have more breathing room? Wouldn't that just be prolonging the agony?

Actually, no it doesn't. If ND goes 5-7 or worse, and the offense is basically shit.... then Rees is toast. It could maybe save MF's job.

Smug? Hey hey now, that's a pretty creative word for a simpleton. Congratulations
Do you actually live this way? You congratulate people on being simpletons? I mean it is a very creative word, you're right about that. And ND fans are effin' smug, I mean holy shit! It kind of has a subtle definition, but god damn does it apply to ND fans. And most importantly to actual ND alums. It's either that or 'delusional'. I think you probably feel more flattered with smug.....

At the end of the day, QB recruiting, QB development, preparation, and offensive play calling ALL land on his shoulders, but is it an easier pill for administration to swallow when you can’t move the ball with a back up QB?

In most cases it’s expected to see a slight drop in offensive performance from starting to backup QB, but how much is really acceptable? And how much rope does the administration/Freeman give him?
Gives him another excuse!

I think we win at least 8, maybe 9 games.

That alone makes the justification to move on from Rees a difficult one.

ND doesn’t care about wins. If that stadium is full against Cal it’s mission accomplished. Jack views the fans as suckers and losers.

If the next QB averages 40 points and runs the table he should be fired immediately because how badly he selected the depth chart.

If the offense is more the same he needs dismissed.

Matter of fact none of the above will happen...he needs fired regardless

I think we win at least 8, maybe 9 games.

That alone makes the justification to move on from Rees a difficult one.
Swarbrick will find a reason to not move on from Rees even if we go winless and rank #125 in offense.

He's one of those "trying hard" people...

WTFE

Reactions: Chitown11
Assuming Rees gets canned, who would you guys want as an OC replacement long term? Anyone like Dan Mullen?

He's not going anywhere. Everyone involved wanted to retain him. If they did relieve him he'd be out of a job for about 5 seconds.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Swarbrick will find a reason to not move on from Rees even if we go winless and rank #125 in offense.

He's one of those "trying hard" people...

WTFE
Who would you replace him with today ?

Answer the question !

Assuming Rees gets canned, who would you guys want as an OC replacement long term? Anyone like Dan Mullen?
That's a good question. If this team really does have a disastrous 3-9/4-8 type year, and a new OC is quite obviously in order, who's going to hire him? Presumably MF will simply fire him and pick someone himself as you would quite naturally expect any HC to do. But if this was some package deal, like the conspiracy theorists are saying, and I definitely could believe it, then perhaps MF won't feel comfortable doing it himself. And maybe Swarbrick being let go would need to come first. Or whatever, who knows exactly what the politics of this arrangement are....

As to which young OC we ought to go for if/when it gets to that point, I don't know. I'm not hip on the smartest, most cutting-edge OCs out there. One thing I do know is losing TB for the season is.a DISASTER for this offense, and for this coaching staff, and only make the prospect of cutting bait and/or cleaning house with coaches an even more viable possibility, considering how much this injury sets the program back....

That's a good question. If this team really does have a disastrous 3-9/4-8 type year, and a new OC is quite obviously in order, who's going to hire him? Presumably MF will simply fire him and pick someone himself as you would quite naturally expect any HC to do. But if this was some package deal, like the conspiracy theorists are saying, and I definitely could believe it, then perhaps MF won't feel comfortable doing it himself. And maybe Swarbrick being let go would need to come first. Or whatever, who knows exactly what the politics of this arrangement are....

As to which young OC we ought to go for if/when it gets to that point, I don't know. I'm not hip on the smartest, most cutting-edge OCs out there. One thing I do know is losing TB for the season is.a DISASTER for this offense, and for this coaching staff, and only make the prospect of cutting bait and/or cleaning house with coaches an even more viable possibility, considering how much this injury sets the program back....

Does not seem fair to keep Freeman from picking his own staff. They are going to be a primary reason the man sinks or swims.

Tommy had better get this team to a bowl game...

Does not seem fair to keep Freeman from picking his own staff. They are going to be a primary reason the man sinks or swims.

Tommy had better get this team to a bowl game...
Indeed. Absolutely indeed. If that in fact was how this new MF coaching regime took shape.... And Swarbrick sort of hand picked both MF, and Rees, and it was understood that Rees was going to be the OC and it really wasn't MF's call to do otherwise, regardless of whatever his thoughts on the matter may have been..... I mean you gotta be kidding me!

And if this is true, and that is how this actually went down, in the aftermath of BK's sudden departure, then this is an obvious potential disaster in the making. Bottom line is Rees needs to go if things don't pick up very, very significantly. His resume is nearly less impressive than MF's for such an important job at a top, contending program. And the thought that he was guaranteed this job, by a non-football person in Jack Swarbrick, pretty much for nepotistic, incestuous reasons, and not merely not based purely on his merit and ability to meet the challenge, but rather his special status as a ND alum.... but also handcuffing and bypassing your brand-new rookie HC, and not letting him select his own lieutenants..... Good Lord!!

I was strongly against Rees being OC from the get go, but I was more casual about it, and simply thought it would be wiser to bring in a veteran OC. Now that the team appears to be very possibly imploding, the ugly absurdity of the entire arrangement is undeniable. If indeed it was Swarbrick who effectively hired Rees, and not MF....

Considering where the team started...with both optimism and question marks....that carries over to recruiting as well. The more this team flounders, if not evaporates....the more the focus will, and should, point to the coaching staff. And that will show up in recruiting and poaching. The current class is in jeopardy, not so much by wins and losses...but by a shaky and much-doubted coaching staff. ND is not so much "0-2" as it is "O-My".

I think this program is in pretty serious trouble right now. Players are soft and lathargic....there is no bona fide quarterback on the roster....and the offensive coordinator creates more questions each game than he answers.....and the head coach appears to lack the experience to right the ship. If the wheels begin to fall off of the recruiting class....________________________you fill in the blanks.

Considering where the team started...with both optimism and question marks....that carries over to recruiting as well. The more this team flounders, if not evaporates....the more the focus will, and should, point to the coaching staff. And that will show up in recruiting and poaching. The current class is in jeopardy, not so much by wins and losses...but by a shaky and much-doubted coaching staff. ND is not so much "0-2" as it is "O-My".

I think this program is in pretty serious trouble right now. Players are soft and lathargic....there is no bona fide quarterback on the roster....and the offensive coordinator creates more questions each game than he answers.....and the head coach appears to lack the experience to right the ship. If the wheels begin to fall off of the recruiting class....________________________you fill in the blanks.
This is complete bullshit. It's 2 freaking games!! Holy crap. If you were in charge, you'd fired coach K. Jesus talk about over reacting!!!

ND doesn’t care about wins. If that stadium is full against Cal it’s mission accomplished. Jack views the fans as suckers and losers.
Of course. The stadium is an entertainment venue, that's it and if the stadium is full or near full, then obviously, the fans are entertained and the "mission" is accomplished.

You know less than nothing about Notre Dame and Notre Dame football.

Stadium capacity and stadium revenue are directly related to winning.

You don’t have a clue when it comes to knowing what Jack’s views are !

This is complete bullshit. It's 2 freaking games!! Holy crap. If you were in charge, you'd fired coach K. Jesus talk about over reacting!!!
Let's see now.....Freeman just said: "We are viewing everything with a critical eye". If you can find bullshit in "everything" and "critical"....have at it. His words, not mine.

The offense looked disjointed and not like a cohesive unit the first two games. And the playcalling left a lot to be desired. And those things are on Rees, regardless of whom the QB is.

It's possible. It's also possible it lets him save face and walk away with rep in tact if he realizes the job is beyond him. It's going to be an interesting off-season.

The offense looked disjointed and not like a cohesive unit the first two games. And the playcalling left a lot to be desired. And those things are on Rees, regardless of whom the QB is.
Disjointed? That's become a hip word these days, everyone likes to call things 'disjointed', but I think this could be a good time for it.

For me it's less the play calling, which seems like the least important part of the whole equation. It's more that whatever play is called, nothing good happens. The team doesn't execute. I guess typically one just assumes the team will be able execute well enough, and it's only when a team is really poorly coached, that that becomes the big problem.

And if that really is the heart of the matter, poor fundamentals and basic execution, not particularly the subtleties of your game plan.... nothing screams that your coaches are too young, inexperienced, and lacking in gravitas than that. They're just poorly drilled....

no one is getting fired; rash thinking 2 games into the season.

Disjointed? That's become a hip word these days, everyone likes to call things 'disjointed', but I think this could be a good time for it.

For me it's less the play calling, which seems like the least important part of the whole equation. It's more that whatever play is called, nothing good happens. The team doesn't execute. I guess typically one just assumes the team will be able execute well enough, and it's only when a team is really poorly coached, that that becomes the big problem.

And if that really is the heart of the matter, poor fundamentals and basic execution, not particularly the subtleties of your game plan.... nothing screams that your coaches are too young, inexperienced, and lacking in gravitas than that. They're just poorly drilled....
If you don’t possess the fundamentals by the end of your senior year in Nigh School, you won’t be on the Freshman team at a Div I school.

Execution is the key !

your correct and there is no punishment for losing to OSU. It’s the losto Marshall with you A1’s on the field.

if the BG game is our guide, I don’t see us scoring today.

I’m going to guess we will see Steve A today unless Drew really massively changed from the BG game.

Nobody gives a shit about losing to Marshall per se, upset happens. The only reason for the existential panic is how bad the team looks, in the abstract, not just the loss in and of itself. That is what's inspiring all this hand-wringing and worst case scenario depth-plumbing.

So beat Cal, yeah, of course. But win or lose, look a whole lot better doing it.....

Nobody gives a shit about losing to Marshall per se, upset happens. The only reason for the existential panic is how bad the team looks, in the abstract, not just the loss in and of itself. That is what's inspiring all this hand-wringing and worst case scenario depth-plumbing.

So beat Cal, yeah, of course. But win or lose, look a whole lot better doing it.....
well, they really have to look and play this as a must win game! MF at 0-4 is just going to really stir the crowd! In spite of the resignation ( no pun intended) that MF is at ND a minimum of 3 years.

Everybody cares about losing to a 20.5 point underdog !

It’s a sign that there are cracks in the dam !

ADVERTISEMENT