ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone really blame Rees for leaving?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
The fans have hated him since he was a QB and since he was promoted to OC.

ND doesn't have the material on offense (due to poor recruiting) that the modern powers like Alabama have access to. If he's offered the job, it is a no brainer.

ND doesn't have the material on offense (due to poor recruiting) that the modern powers like Alabama have access to. If he's offered the job, it is a no brainer.
Its not a no brainer

But if he leaves, okay. If he stays, okay

Its not a no brainer

I agree with this 100%

I’m ok if Tommy leaves as long as nd had their stuff together and knew he was a flight risk…. Worst case nd should have been all over other potential candidates yesterday … we'll know soon

Last edited:
Reactions: edub72
The opportunity to coach under the greatest college coach ever would be hard to turn down but hard to turn your back on your alma mater.

Reactions: raycyrx
The opportunity to coach under the greatest college coach ever would be hard to turn down but hard to turn your back on your alma mater.
Yeah, to me he’d really really have to handle this perfectly to be allowed back as ND coach, it wood also probably take Tommy being insanely good elsewhere and freeman failing

If he does really well as the offense should next year at nd he has OC job in nfl if he wants it

To me if Tommy wants to be NDs Head coach in the future leaving for OC position at bama hurts his chances

Last edited:
Yeah, to me he’d really really have to handle this perfectly to be allowed back as ND coach, it wood also probably take Tommy being insanely good elsewhere and freeman failing

If he does really well as the offense should next year at nd he has OC job in nfl if he wants it

To me if Tommy wants to be NDs Head coach in the future leaving for OC position at bama hurts his chances
Disagree, he needs to grow and get better and Saban tutelage would be huge (look at his coaching tree). After reading this out loud, still unreal ND rolled the dice on Freemam given his inexperience but the ship is pointing in the right direction.

Reactions: raycyrx
Disagree, he needs to grow and get better and Saban tutelage would be huge (look at his coaching tree). After reading this out loud, still unreal ND rolled the dice on Freemam given his inexperience but the ship is pointing in the right direction.
Saban takes failing offensive HCs and gives them a second chance at his juggernaut with insane offensive talent , this is different with Rees

Yes Rees absolutely needs to grow but he’s just done the hardest growing while at nd in positions he didn’t earn. We literally lost games because of it, now that his stock is finally starting to take off he jumps ship for better HC but same position… gross

Not knowing anything about what has been going on behind the scenes, I am surprised about this event and disappointed in the way that it is playing out. That shows that I don't know anything at all. Frankly, I would prefer that TR stayed at ND for at least next year. Much of the criticism on this board concerning his capabilities has not been warranted.

Saban takes failing offensive HCs and gives them a second chance at his juggernaut with insane offensive talent , this is different with Rees

Yes Rees absolutely needs to grow but he’s just done the hardest growing while at nd in positions he didn’t earn. We literally lost games because of it, now that his stock is finally starting to take off he jumps ship for better HC but same position… gross
What do you mean "didn't earn"?....Kelly conducted an exhaustive nationwide search of the cubicles in the ND football offices before naming Rees OC.....

Last edited:
I agree with this 100%

I’m ok if Tommy leaves as long as nd had their stuff together and knew he was a flight risk…. Worst case nd should have been all over other potential candidates yesterday … we'll know soon
ND

I wonder if this going to have any effect on Sam Hartman. With Rees gone, maybe SH bolts too. I don't know what the logistics of that would be, but SH definitely doesn't want to be on the bench, as.a 25 year old grad transfer, if the new regime doesn't favor his skills.....

What do you mean "didn't earn"?....Kelly conducted an exhaustive nationwide of the cubicles in the ND football offices before naming Rees OC.....
Brian Kelly was the actual OC at Notre Dame his entire tenure. Same at LSU. He simply allowed Tommy Rees and allows Mike Denbrock to run his offense.

I wonder if this going to have any effect on Sam Hartman. With Rees gone, maybe SH bolts too. I don't know what the logistics of that would be, but SH definitely doesn't want to be on the bench, as.a 25 year old grad transfer, if the new regime doesn't favor his skills.....
I'd be much more concerned on how it will impact Tyler Buchner who would be a superstar at bama

I'd be much more concerned on how it will impact Tyler Buchner who would be a superstar at bama
Oh yeah? Much more concerned!

You guys truly have a gift for being crank fans. You're right, though, it's entirely possible TB could transfer too. F any of these guys could transfer, when you think about it. I just thought of SH because he's here on a one year deal, he presumably wanted that ideal situation, and apparently he and MF/Rees came to some sort of understanding, and with his OC now suddenly gone, maybe he would just scratch the whole thing.

But naturally, TB leaving is the real danger.....

I agree with this 100%

" flight risk " ? Utter nonsense. It's what happens when one is successful at their craft. It's called career building. People change jobs all the time when presented with opportunities. You're so over the top on this issue it's pathetic.

You know nothing about Coach Saban. Nothing. Your first sentence proves it.

Reactions: NDSMC78
" flight risk " ? Utter nonsense. It's what happens when one is successful at their craft. It's called career building. People change jobs all the time when presented with opportunities. You're so over the top on this issue it's pathetic.
Very big difference between taking the next step vs wanting a better boss…. Not sure how you can’t grasp that. He’s clearly not happy at nd if he’s just leaving for a new boss.

You know nothing about Coach Saban. Nothing. Your first sentence proves it.
Except sark lane O’Brien say good morning

This is why olinemen rarely become good head coaches, y’all only see a few feet in-front of you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Its not a no brainer

once again wrong

This is a definite promotion. In any intelligent persons summation.

Going to the premier college program that has more talent than any other, an opportunity to show what you can do with the best athletes in college football?

And you do not think its a no brainer? Well you clearly have no brains.

And considering how he has been treated by the fans here, no one has a right to say he should not go.

Maybe Saban wants Rees AND Hartman. What a stinger that would be. I think that would get me to stop watching college football altogether.

once again wrong

Going to the premier college program that has more talent than any other, an opportunity to show what you can do with the best athletes in college football?

And considering how he has been treated by the fans here, no one has a right to say he should not go.
it would be more of a no brainer if ND wasn't his alma mater. He's putting future potential at ever coaching or being HC at ND at risk.

Coaches Dream of doing what kirby is doing more so that coaching under saban for a year or two.

I am fine with him leaving. I do not like the timing of this, would prefer it to be earlier but whatever. We all know he will leave eventually so now is as good a time as any and we then have a clean break from the Kelly offense which I never really liked anyways. The key as always is to bring in someone who can bring new ideas to the team.

Reactions: PHJIndy

recruiting might be sound but the competition for whatever reasons has more to offer! That is not on MF.

once again wrong

It's not a no brainer

I get why he'd leave but definitely not a no brainer

Alma mater
Work with your dad
Work 1.5 hours away from your family, friends and hometown
Continuity
Develop the players and young men you recruited and builded relationships with
Win at ND you are a legend, win at Bama you are a footnote in Sabans legacy

Reactions: PHJIndy
It's not a no brainer

I get why he'd leave but definitely not a no brainer

Alma mater
Work with your dad
Work 1.5 hours away from your family, friends and hometown
Continuity
Develop the players and young men you recruited and builded relationships with
Win at ND you are a legend, win at Bama you are a footnote in Sabans legacy
actually agree 100%.

i'd be curious as to why he wants to take it if he does, because i really think he's on same exact career path timeline. Only thing with Bama is there's next to no risk of going worse than 10-2. The upside of going to CFP at ND is higher than going to CFP with Bama from a coaching career boost perspective. Status quo vs coordinator of the year accolades at ND if nds offense takes them to CFP.

it would be more of a no brainer if ND wasn't his alma mater. He's putting future potential at ever coaching or being HC at ND at risk.

Coaches Dream of doing what kirby is doing more so that coaching under saban for a year or two.
No, he's not. You keep saying that, but it's just a story you made up. There is no indication at all that this would hurt his chances of Rees coaching at ND in the future. Totally your creation.

Didn't many writers say he might leave for NFL last year? That seems to suggest he could look elsewhere.

I don’t dislike Rees, and I accept that he is highly respected within the coaching fraternity. And, I appreciate that coach Saban and Alabama represent a tantalizing career opportunity. Personally, I hope it is offered and accepted. Seems to me that Rees keeps kicking the tires for OC opportunities outside of ND, and this says a lot about his confidence in elevating ND to elite status. Whether a Miami or Alabama, I would have loved Rees declining interest and pounding his ND chest with his stated belief there is no OC job in college that he would prefer. He doesn’t need Alabama as a stepping stone to a HC opportunity or OC opportunity in the NFL. Leading an exciting explosive ND offense next year will accomplish this. I’m looking forward to see who Freeman gets to do this in his stead.

Reactions: Get Nasty
I don’t dislike Rees, and I accept that he is highly respected within the coaching fraternity. And, I appreciate that coach Saban and Alabama represent a tantalizing career opportunity. Personally, I hope it is offered and accepted. Seems to me that Rees keeps kicking the tires for OC opportunities outside of ND, and this says a lot about his confidence in elevating ND to elite status. Whether a Miami or Alabama, I would have loved Rees declining interest and pounding his ND chest with his stated belief there is no OC job in college that he would prefer. He doesn’t need Alabama as a stepping stone to a HC opportunity or OC opportunity in the NFL. Leading an exciting explosive ND offense next year will accomplish this. I’m looking forward to see who Freeman gets to do this in his stead.
Probably will never truly know, but I don't get why he would take it without issues at ND. He has ND O lined up to dominate next year, and if that happens his writes his own check to NFL OC or college HC.

I don't blame Rees for navigating his future....don't we all do that? This has no real repercussions for him, as he will land on his feet in worst case...or at Bama in the best case. In between, he returns to ND for a spell. Bama gives him the edge to move into a top tier head coaching gig from OC at Bama. Not so sure ND does that at the same level. Coaching moves and jobs are always a gamble...its part of it. If anything, I would say Rees is at least on Lane Kiffin's level talentwise. Any bad PR with this falls on ND....so they just need to take care of business and start poaching.

I don't blame Rees for navigating his future....don't we all do that? This has no real repercussions for him, as he will land on his feet in worst case...or at Bama in the best case. In between, he returns to ND for a spell. Bama gives him the edge to move into a top tier head coaching gig from OC at Bama. Not so sure ND does that at the same level. Coaching moves and jobs are always a gamble...its part of it. If anything, I would say Rees is at least on Lane Kiffin's level talentwise. Any bad PR with this falls on ND....so they just need to take care of business and start poaching.
Whether you like him or not, Lane Kiffin is a successful head coach, and Rees is just a wannabe head coach. No comparison talent wise at this point.

You'd have to be a pretty bad OC not to see Hartman's skills. It's not like there is an abundance of experience in the ND QB room.

Kiffin had better offenses while being a HC (Not a great one) at SC. Rees needs to have a good offense and land/develop a QB recruiting wise out of high school before he even should think about becoming HC. Minchey and Carr could be the first QBs he landed recruiting wise (non grad transfer) that could be really good.

You'd have to be a pretty bad OC not to see Hartman's skills. It's not like there is an abundance of experience in the ND QB room.
No doubt, but I checked some other message boards, and it seems to be a common concern, that maybe SH will bolt. And the reason would be, just to reiterate, he does not want to be a backup, as a 25 year old 6th year player. He cannot have that. Better just to go the NFL now, where IMO he is a totally good later-round prospect a la Ian Book, rather than play another year of CFB and somehow end up being a backup, which would be a disaster for him.

Not saying he would go to Bama to follow Rees, I don't think he would. But somewhere else, or quite possibly and perhaps most likely drop the whole thing and enter the 2023 draft. Which would totally suck, as I'm fully aboard the SH train. But Rees will probably end up not even taking the job anyway, so....

ADVERTISEMENT