ADVERTISEMENT

Dillon Gibbons transfer

Just listened to a podcast predict no more than 4 transfers out before the season. Looks like that could be an underestimate.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I don't blame him at all. He's trapped behind younger, better players. Depth takes a hit.
Agree. His posted message was all class! He will leave with a ND degree, and Tremendous fondness for the university and his coaches and teammates. But, he is a talented football player who is getting passed up by some incredibly talented young players, and he wants to play. His transfer makes total sense.

I wish him nothing but the best. Kenny Rogers said it best, " You got to know when to hold and know when fold." He's being past over by younger and more talented players. He also opens up the roster for another recruit. It's a win-win situation.

Last edited:
I wish him nothing but the best. Kenny Rogers said it best, " You got to know when to old and know when fold." He's being past over by younger and more talented players. He also opens up the roster for another recruit. It's a win-win situation.
This was his last year most likely anyway. So it doesnt really open up a spot. Unless we were going to bring him back for a 6th year which I doubt we were planning on

Reactions: Kelso86
It’s very difficult for a young man who was an exceptional athlete in high school to come to ND or any other university and find himself at the bottom of the totem pole.

just like the college graduate who was tops in their class who goes to Harvard Law School and finds themself in the bottom half of their class.

it’s not easy to cope with

Best of luck, transfers after the spring are expected as the depth chart materializes. Plus the new transfer rule (Gibbons excluded).

He should have stayed. One or two injuries and he's in. The freshman have a ton of talent but they are still freshmen.

I think people who feel that way have a different mindset when the player leaves with a degree.
Possibly, but no one who was critical of Jurko or JJ for "being afraid of competition" stated "he should have gotten his degree" they just said he was a quitter. I think its just as probable that the people who call some transfers "quitters" or "scared to compete" when the player transferring has a lot of talent, even if it is just raw talent, often do it because its easier to rationalize the transfer as a result of something defective with the kid and not the staff that couldn't keep him. When is a player that wasn't going to play transfers they don't care and it becomes a good decision for everyone. KAR, Michael Young and John Olmstead didn't graduate but no one really cared about the transfers.

Going to have to utilize young players.Great for long term. Tough for this season with so few vets back.

I had him penciled in as a starter when spring practice started. He has worked hard and persevered. We needed an experienced guy with some armour. Even if he wasn't going to start, we needed the depth. I read that he has already graduated.

Good luck to him. Hopefully, he goes somewhere he will start. I am thinking that this means Fisher will be LT and Patterson LG. Kristofic and Rocco played RG Saturday. Gibbons announced the portal Thursday.

I had him penciled in as a starter when spring practice started. He has worked hard and persevered. We needed an experienced guy with some armour. Even if he wasn't going to start, we needed the depth. I read that he has already graduated.

Good luck to him. Hopefully, he goes somewhere he will start. I am thinking that this means Fisher will be LT and Patterson LG. Kristofic and Rocco played RG Saturday. Gibbons announced the portal Thursday.
LT - Fisher
LG - Patterson
C - Correll
RG - Rocco/Kristofic
RT - Lugg/Baker

Thats how I see it right now

Reactions: IrishMike409
Possibly, but no one who was critical of Jurko or JJ for "being afraid of competition" stated "he should have gotten his degree" they just said he was a quitter. I think its just as probable that the people who call some transfers "quitters" or "scared to compete" when the player transferring has a lot of talent, even if it is just raw talent, often do it because its easier to rationalize the transfer as a result of something defective with the kid and not the staff that couldn't keep him. When is a player that wasn't going to play transfers they don't care and it becomes a good decision for everyone. KAR, Michael Young and John Olmstead didn't graduate but no one really cared about the transfers.
"....the staff that couldn't keep him.". 😂
College football isn't a daycare.

Reactions: IrishMike409
LT - Patterson
LG - Rocco
C - Correll
RG - Fisher
RT - Lugg

Start the season by sandwiching the rookies with some experience.

Not afraid, per se, but it wouldn't be a big surprise if he got a look at Spindler and Fisher this spring and assessed his possibility of decent playing time, and decided he needs to go somewhere else to get game snaps. He's got his degree, so it's kind of a no lose proposition for him.
That's the point man. People don't bring up the "afraid of competition" when they don't care about the loss of the transferring player.

"....the staff that couldn't keep him.". 😂
College football isn't a daycare.
Agreed. But when its a player where the perception is he has a lot of talent and his transfer is a loss to the overall talent on the roster people will do any mental gymnastic move they can to make sure its not the coach's fault but instead a problem with the player. I don't think either type of transfer is bad just pointing out the logical inconsistency.

LT - Patterson
LG - Rocco
C - Correll
RG - Fisher
RT - Lugg

Start the season by sandwiching the rookies with some experience.
I think Fisher has won the LT job. He did better than Baker on Saturday. Fisher has pushed Patterson to LG I believe. Rocco and Lugg I bet on the right side. I did not want two true freshmen starting but those in the classes above them have not emerged to beat them out.

I would prefer two experienced bookend OTs. I bet Patterson would prefer trying LT. This is probably a contract year for him if he plays well. He has more value if he can play LT.

I think Fisher has won the LT job. He did better than Baker on Saturday. Fisher has pushed Patterson to LG I believe. Rocco and Lugg I bet on the right side. I did not want two true freshmen starting but those in the classes above them have not emerged to beat them out.

I would prefer two experienced bookend OTs. I bet Patterson would prefer trying LT. This is probably a contract year for him if he plays well. He has more value if he can play LT.
My gut feeling is Patterson and Fisher at the tackle spots with Lugg moving inside. Not his best spot but he has experience there. I can see Fisher following the same path Stanley and McGlinchey did. Start out at RT and make the move over when the veteran guy departs.

My gut feeling is Patterson and Fisher at the tackle spots with Lugg moving inside. Not his best spot but he has experience there. I can see Fisher following the same path Stanley and McGlinchey did. Start out at RT and make the move over when the veteran guy departs.
Fisher might be too good to play anywhere but LT. He is a special player

That's what it looks like with Fisher. That he's just too badass, even as a true frosh, to keep off the field. Pretty much the same for Spindler if he becomes a starter too. Which is great timing for those two. I don't know exactly what it says about all the former elite recruits above those two in terms of seniority, guys like Tosh Baker and Andrew Kristof, not that great to be blunt about it. But maybe Rocco and Fisher if they start are just too good and are just that special. Which of course would be awesome!

I think Lugg will start at RT, which pretty much was the plan. Also, couldn't Patterson play LT and Fisher at OG? LT is a VIP position after all. In any case it looks like things are taking shape along the OL in this transitional off-season....

Fisher might be too good to play anywhere but LT. He is a special player
I agree. I also Think Rocco starts at one of the guard Positions. Seems to me the question boils down to getting the best players and best mix between Lugg and Baker and Correll and Kristofic. I think one decision is simply Lugg or Baker at RT. Contrary to Echo, I don’t think Lugg is a good option at guard. Right now, I think Lugg gets the nod, assuming his back issues are resolved and he shows much better than last season. Then it’s a question of who is better, Correll or Kristofic in combination with Patterson. Is Correll at center and Patterson at guard better than Patterson at center and Kristofic at guard? Haven’t seen enough of Kristofic to have an opinion. Really good talent and great problem to have!

Reactions: Golson5
I agree. I also Think Rocco starts at one of the guard Positions. Seems to me the question boils down to getting the best players and best mix between Lugg and Baker and Correll and Kristofic. I think one decision is simply Lugg or Baker at RT. Contrary to Echo, I don’t think Lugg is a good option at guard. Right now, I think Lugg gets the nod, assuming his back issues are resolved and he shows much better than last season. Then it’s a question of who is better, Correll or Kristofic in combination with Patterson. Is Correll at center and Patterson at guard better than Patterson at center and Kristofic at guard? Haven’t seen enough of Kristofic to have an opinion. Really good talent and great problem to have!
Tackle is clearly Luggs best spot but he has experience at guard. I still think the aforementioned 5 will be the starters come September. I trust that Quinn and the staff will align the pieces to give them the most cohesive unit.

Tackle is clearly Luggs best spot but he has experience at guard. I still think the aforementioned 5 will be the starters come September. I trust that Quinn and the staff will align the pieces to give them the most cohesive unit.
Agree, but Lugg struggled at guard last season, and based on Kelly’s comments, it sounds as though his struggles were more than just his back Issues. Have you seen or read enough to have an opinion about Kristofic?

Agree, but Lugg struggled at guard last season, and based on Kelly’s comments, it sounds as though his struggles were more than just his back Issues. Have you seen or read enough to have an opinion about Kristofic?
I have not. Sounds like he could be the 6th man. Lugg is their 2nd most experienced guy so I believe he'll be in there somewhere. Once the decision is made as to where Patterson ends up the rest should fall into place.

Carroll will find playing time.
It has been pretty silent in regards to Carroll. Contrast that to the excited chatter that we were hearing pre ACL tear as a freshman. My first guess pre spring practice on the OL was Patterson, Carroll, Correll, Gibbons and Lugg.

As BK has put us in the BCS or on the cusp several times the last 5 years your seeing a new level of talent. That’s going to force out some players. Give BK credit, after that 4-8 we have been hard to beat. Every loss in the championship we had went to win the championship. Now over the hump!!

As BK has put us in the BCS or on the cusp several times the last 5 years your seeing a new level of talent. That’s going to force out some players. Give BK credit, after that 4-8 we have been hard to beat. Every loss in the championship we had went to win the championship. Now over the hump!!
Fyi, there's no more BCS. It's been obsolete since 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT