ADVERTISEMENT

Did this statement come out of Nick Saban’s mouth?

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Fly on wall says: “Tommy, I’ve followed your career, I know your Dad, I think you are what I need here. I think you have great potential. And I am looking and continue looking for the guy who will sit in my chair. I’m not gonna be around much longer. There may be an opportunity here for the right guy”

Did this happen?

I say yes. No promises but the subject was brought up

What did the fly tell you?

Fly on wall says: “Tommy, I’ve followed your career, I know your Dad, I think you are what I need here. I think you have great potential. And I am looking and continue looking for the guy who will sit in my chair. I’m not gonna be around much longer. There may be an opportunity here for the right guy”

Did this happen?

No chance

No way a non alum/1st time HC gets that job

Reactions: NDinNJ

Did this happen?

No

Reactions: NDinNJ
Alabama has wandered away from physical football, Rees has an NFL background, ND used multiple TE's, a strong run game and a ball control offense.

Saban's only goal at this point is to beat Georgia. Yeah, Bama lost 2 games, on the road, to ranked teams, on the last play of the game. But, to win another National Title he is going to have to beat Georgia.

To beat Georgia, you have to be uber physical, on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: Jett Rink
I think Saban reached into his drawer, pulled out a fly swatter, and SWAT! End of fly!

Just pulling your chain, skibro.

While the scenario you postulate seems highly unlikely to me, there is no denying that head football coaches are getting younger and younger, so perhaps it is not completely beyond the pale. During the recent Goolsby interview of Aaron Taylor (shameless plug: I linked the interview in a different thread) Aaron and Goolsby talked about how the game has changed from their playing days, and they mentioned a fascinating observation Lou Holtz made about how the game has changed. To paraphrase what Lou said, the game used to be about expectations and obligations. Now it is about explanations. When Lou was coaching and said "jump," the players asked "how high?" Today's player asks "why?" So in Aaron's and Goolsby's minds, the younger coaches that can relate to today's players will be the ones that will be most successful. So while Saban is still getting it done, his coaching style is slowly going out of style. Of course, winning is still the currency of the game, and Saban has certainly done that.

Reactions: theskibro
I think Saban reached into his drawer, pulled out a fly swatter, and SWAT! End of fly!

Just pulling your chain, skibro.

While the scenario you postulate seems highly unlikely to me, there is no denying that head football coaches are getting younger and younger, so perhaps it is not completely beyond the pale. During the recent Goolsby interview of Aaron Taylor (shameless plug: I linked the interview in a different thread) Aaron and Goolsby talked about how the game has changed from their playing days, and they mentioned a fascinating observation Lou Holtz made about how the game has changed. To paraphrase what Lou said, the game used to be about expectations and obligations. Now it is about explanations. When Lou was coaching and said "jump," the players asked "how high?" Today's player asks "why?" So in Aaron's and Goolsby's minds, the younger coaches that can relate to today's players will be the ones that will be most successful. So while Saban is still getting it done, his coaching style is slowly going out of style. Of course, winning is still the currency of the game, and Saban has certainly done that.
Excellent points

Too glib. There’s literally a zero percent chance he would ever get that job unless he were to have 3 or more years of sustained success. However I don’t think he’d mess well with the Alabama culture. Think Mike Sexton on steroids.

I honestly am hoping he stays. Last year wasn’t a fair assessment of his talents. He had no QB, no WR and 1 TE at his disposal. Imo he got just about all that he could out of what he had to work with. Sure he could have simplified things but that’s no ingredient, simple concepts, for success in big time college football.

ADVERTISEMENT