ADVERTISEMENT

Did Savvy Jack Just Signal ND to the BUG 10?

tbonesays

I've posted how many times?
Jul 12, 2017
Today was his public address. I don't recall any time (since Monk in 1998) that an ND official publicly praised the conference of Michigan and Ohio State. It could him sticking his finger in the air, or that the decision has already been made.

he is waiting on USMC78’s voting form to be returned; deciding vote.

That is borderline an unreasonable request. Sounds like laying the pretenses towards joining a conference.
IMO, after listening to a recent lengthy interview of Jack Swarbick, Nope.

There is zero doubt in my mind that Jack Swarbick wants to remain Football Independent.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
People see what they want to see

Its like that stupid ink blot test the shrinks use which is such a joke

IMO, after listening to a recent lengthy interview of Jack Swarbick, Nope.

There is zero doubt in my mind that Jack Swarbick wants to remain Football Independent.
Totally agree!

The only thing that will sway ND's thought process is the access to the playoffs -- if that gets altered in a way that is not favorable to ND's position and they feel they there is no fair and equitable path to the playoffs, then you may begin to see a shift in the thought process.

But until that time comes -- and there is time -- ND will remain independent for the foreseeable future.

That is borderline an unreasonable request. Sounds like laying the pretenses towards joining a conference.
Outside of tradition, I see zero negatives in joining a conference.

I see nothing but positives.

1. CFP would not be taken from ND. At anytime ND could be told only Conferance teams will qualify for the CFP.

2. $$$$$$$$$$

3. You can keep some rival games but also still compete against quality opponents.

4. A conference championship

5. Even with 1-2 ND could still make the playoffs. Currently, 1 but definitely 2 loses eliminates ND from all playoff talk. That extra Conferance championship would help SOS.

This is just a few positives and this is just football not the other sports at ND.

1. CFP would not be taken from ND. At anytime ND could be told only Conferance teams will qualify for the CFP.

2. $$$$$$$$$$

3. You can keep some rival games but also still compete against quality opponents.

5. Even with 1-2 ND could still make the playoffs. Currently, 1 but definitely 2 loses eliminates ND from all playoff talk. That extra Conferance championship would help SOS.

This is just a few positives and this is just football not the other sports at ND.
Trash

2. $$$$$$$$$$

You are 100% correct. Excellent post

Anyone opposed to joining a conference can only give one reason why ND should not join a conference.

TRADITION.

That is not a valid reason. The landscape is changing and ND will eventually have to change with it.

2. $$$$$$$$$$

"Outside of tradition, I see zero negatives in joining a conference.
2. $$$$$$$$$$
This is just a few positives and this is just football not the other sports at ND."

At the present time, the CFP cannot be taken away from ND. When the CFP changes it parameters, then ND will have decisions to make. And, if they expand the CFP, NO WAY ND get s left out (assuming they qualify).
$$$$$$ will always follow ND
Most conference only have 2-3 QUALITY teams
Only 2 teams play for a conference championship -- there is NO guarantee ND would be in that game yearly
in most cases -- 2 losses eliminates most EVERYONE from playoff talk.

Until such time -- and there is time, there is NO NEED for ND to rush into a conference.

Last edited:

2. $$$$$$$$$$

Thankfully you aren’t the Notre Dame AD.

In fact, Thank God.

Totally agree!

The only thing that will sway ND's thought process is the access to the playoffs -- if that gets altered in a way that is not favorable to ND's position and they feel they there is no fair and equitable path to the playoffs, then you may begin to see a shift in the thought process.

But until that time comes -- and there is time -- ND will remain independent for the foreseeable future.
This. Right now NDs biggest ally is Greg Sankey. He's gone on record saying he would not support any playoff format that doesn't include an independent Notre Dame. I think the ball is in NBCs court as far as ND goes right now.

2. $$$$$$$$$$

1. CFP has not been taken away from us so this point is moot and does nothing for us

2. Notre Dame is not hurting for money and never will be. We are going to get a ton more money with our tv contract and Under Armour contract being up anyway. Also, I'm a fan why would I care about their $. And like I said they have plenty. So another moot point

3. We can keep our rival games and schedule great games without a conference. And they wont be regional. We can schedule whoever and whenever we want as an independent. Huge advantage Independent

4. Conf Championship games are meh. If thats your thing I guess that is a positive for a conference

5. We can get in with 1 loss now. We wouldnt get in with 2 losses now or in a conference. So another moot point again

Reactions: NDinNJ and Kelso86
1. CFP has not been taken away from us so this point is moot and does nothing for us

2. Notre Dame is not hurting for money and never will be. We are going to get a ton more money with our tv contract and Under Armour contract being up anyway. Also, I'm a fan why would I care about their $. And like I said they have plenty. So another moot point

3. We can keep our rival games and schedule great games without a conference. And they wont be regional. We can schedule whoever and whenever we want as an independent. Huge advantage Independent

4. Conf Championship games are meh. If thats your thing I guess that is a positive for a conference

5. We can get in with 1 loss now. We wouldnt get in with 2 losses now or in a conference. So another moot point again
And we know that the playoff is only going to expand at some point. The Big 10 and SEC expanding only proves that. They will want more of their teams from the conference in the playoffs so its inevitable they expand. That will only strengthen ND's position for independence.

If ND is able get $75 Mil annually from NBC. I don't think there is any doubt that ND will be able to remain competitive with the big dogs.

One potential concern I have is what happens if the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, and Miami? If ND keeps the ACC agreement, does that weaken ND's schedule too much that they can't get in the playoffs? Does ND shift to being completely independent in football, but all other sports in ACC? What happens to the ACC if they lose those 3 programs?

Reactions: Kelso86
I agree with Zorich 88 I think ND makes the most sense . Traveling all over the country to play games doesn’t make sense . The money is number one independence doesn’t exist in any other sport except football so the Big Ten now makes the most sense because the big will now be number one . The SEC makes no sense they are a sport conference first with education second plus the south is 100 years behind the times . Acc would be my second choice independence third and SEC a distant forth

This. Right now NDs biggest ally is Greg Sankey. He's gone on record saying he would not support any playoff format that doesn't include an independent Notre Dame. I think the ball is in NBCs court as far as ND goes right now.

Exactly. The SEC sure as hell doesn't want to push ND to join the Big 10. And the Big 10 doesn't want to push ND to join the SEC. So ND can just wait and see what happens. There is no need for ND to do anything in haste.

I agree with Zorich 88 I think ND makes the most sense . Traveling all over the country to play games doesn’t make sense . The money is number one independence doesn’t exist in any other sport except football so the Big Ten now makes the most sense because the big will now be number one . The SEC makes no sense they are a sport conference first with education second plus the south is 100 years behind the times . Acc would be my second choice independence third and SEC a distant forth
I just listened to a recent long interview of Jack Swarbick. Thankfully he embraces Football Independence for Notre Dame, he believes it’s been and would be the best path going forward....which includes the traveling to Ireland every 4 years or so and playing in NFL stadiums which he talked about at length, and I am thankful as heck he is the AD.

Reactions: Golson5 and Kelso86
And we know that the playoff is only going to expand at some point. The Big 10 and SEC expanding only proves that. They will want more of their teams from the conference in the playoffs so its inevitable they expand. That will only strengthen ND's position for independence.

If ND is able get $75 Mil annually from NBC. I don't think there is any doubt that ND will be able to remain competitive with the big dogs.

One potential concern I have is what happens if the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, and Miami? If ND keeps the ACC agreement, does that weaken ND's schedule too much that they can't get in the playoffs? Does ND shift to being completely independent in football, but all other sports in ACC? What happens to the ACC if they lose those 3 programs?
"One potential concern I have is what happens if the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, and Miami? If ND keeps the ACC agreement, does that weaken ND's schedule too much that they can't get in the playoffs?"

My gut feeling on that example (ACC losing Clemson, Miami and FSU) is that the ACC agreement will be gone in short order, and the conference itself would be in jeopardy. That is when you would probably begin to see the emergence of the true "super-conferences"

Anyone opposed to joining a conference can only give one reason why ND should not join a conference.

TRADITION.

That is not a valid reason. The landscape is changing and ND will eventually have to change with it.
It's about the brand, not tradition. If ND joins the B1G, they become Penn State, fighting for scraps from OSU's table.

Jack's not an idiot If it was a no-brainer, he would have made it happen.

• Love
Reactions: tbonesays
"One potential concern I have is what happens if the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, and Miami? If ND keeps the ACC agreement, does that weaken ND's schedule too much that they can't get in the playoffs?"

My gut feeling on that example (ACC losing Clemson, Miami and FSU) is that the ACC agreement will be gone in short order, and the conference itself would be in jeopardy. That is when you would probably begin to see the emergence of the true "super-conferences"
Certainly a possibility. It may be a couple of years, but I could see more Pac 12 schools joining the Big 10 (Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington in particular) and then FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe UNC and UVA to the SEC. That would basically eliminate ACC and PAC 12 altogether. What would that mean for ND's other spots and football? Who knows? For now, I guess ND just has to wait and cross that bridge when they get to it.

100% disagree. The Big10 would take them today and pay $100mm annually. so signaling the ask of $75mm is to me, saying ND is willing to take a 25% discount as to a conference deal to remain independent.
I disagree somewhat with your line of thinking here. The B1G can afford to offer ND $100 million in media revenue because ND will bring them 9-12 games and the revenue generated for every single matchup would be large. ND vs UM, ND vs USC, ND vs PSU, ND vs OSU, ND vs Wisconsin, etc..

Hell, the ND games against Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue will do well because their fan bases will love being able to see their programs get to play the Irish.

ND’s position on their own isn’t as strong, that’s a fact.

People see what they want to see

Its like that stupid ink blot test the shrinks use which is such a joke
On those ink blots, one guy sees a leopard and the other sees a zebra. The onus is on the latter to show us where there are stripes crossing the hide, not the man who says it is what it is.

Totally agree!

The playoff is a red herring, and/or an after the fact excuse.

The biggest ally is media reality. Does anyone actually think that Disney/ESPN is going to sign a billion dollar CFP contract that could possibly exclude their best chance to recoup that billion dollars?

Try phrasing it as The US may have to join the Asian co-prosperity sphere when China decides to cut off shipments of manufactured goods.
Certainly a possibility. It may be a couple of years, but I could see more Pac 12 schools joining the Big 10 (Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington in particular) and then FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe UNC and UVA to the SEC. That would basically eliminate ACC and PAC 12 altogether. What would that mean for ND's other spots and football? Who knows? For now, I guess ND just has to wait and cross that bridge when they get to it.

I just heard that traveling all over the country to play games doesn’t make sense

It's about the brand, not tradition. If ND joins the B1G, they become Penn State, fighting for scraps from OSU's table.

I disagree. If ND joins the Big 10, ND becomes another Northwestern.

Reactions: Kelso86
Used to think you were one of the better posters but you act like a dickhead a lot these days. If you don’t ageee with someone you react flippantly, rude, boorish behavior there guy. Are you unable to elaborate on your opinions, we’re you hit in the head by a falling air conditioner?
I broke it down on this thread in depth and in many threads. It's the same nonsense over and over. Wash rinse repeat. If you don't like reading it put me on ignore

They ain't gonna get that....no way.
Disagree.

$75mm is a 25% discount to market pricing, which is the cost of remaining Independent, Both the SEC & Big10 should want ND to be Independent because it pressure the TV networks. More bidders for live content drives the price higher!

Used to think you were one of the better posters but you act like a dickhead a lot these days. If you don’t ageee with someone you react flippantly, rude, boorish behavior there guy. Are you unable to elaborate on your opinions, we’re you hit in the head by a falling air conditioner?
How many times are you supposed to elaborate with people who want Notre Dame to be Northwestern?

I shredded your reasons in another post. Do you have any other bad ideas for Notre Dame football?
You shredded my reasons???? Aw that’s so cute !!!
Wow, you are a regular Jim Rome enjoy the vine big boy. You are awesome!!!!
You are amazing!!!!
You should have your own message board.
Again, I am so proud of your effort!!! You have grown so much over the years.

Golson5 is my hero!!!!

You great American hero.

Reactions: Golson5

I disagree with your Penn State reverence. Never, in the history of college football, has PSU ever been at the historical levels Notre Dame football has achieved. The world knows Notre Dane football. Not many outside of the Midwest cares about PSU football.

ADVERTISEMENT