ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone else think MSU played dirty?

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
The missed targeting call and the unnecessary roughness call against their number seventy were obvious examples, but I generally thought they played a dirty brand of football, which surprised me. Saw a lot of knees in the back, extra pushes into the ground, stepping on players, etc... at the end of plays. It's football, so I expect physical and hard nosed play, but Sparty seemed to be trying to intimidate our players with extracurricular activities at the end of plays. Anyone else think this?

Reactions: Bodizephax
The spearing non call is what got me. No mention during the post game presser so I'm thinking BK and staff won't make an issue out of it. I'm just glad BW came out of it in one piece. I would love to have that non call on split screen with incidents of targeting/spearing/helmet to helmet that were called around the country.

The missed targeting call and the unnecessary roughness call against their number seventy were obvious examples, but I generally thought they played a dirty brand of football, which surprised me. Saw a lot of knees in the back, extra pushes into the ground, stepping on players, etc... at the end of plays. It's football, so I expect physical and hard nosed play, but Sparty seemed to be trying to intimidate our players with extracurricular activities at the end of plays. Anyone else think this?

I thought it was borderline. I've seen a lot of the intimidation stuff for years. Our team rarely seems to respond.

One play on Saturday that caught my attention was the one where the guy got the personal foul for diving at Wimbush's knees along the sideline. The announcer called it a borderline call because Wimbush had not clearly given himself up. And that's true, but the guy could have shoved him and avoided the penalty.

Another thing I noticed was their fans seemed to be ignoramuses, booing loudly when replays clearly showed Williams had scored and every time they were penalized. I don't have a problem about people getting ticked off about a bad call, but come on, Williams clearly had his foot down and control of the ball and their running back clearly lost the ball about six inches way from scoring.

Last edited:
Fans are fans. They boo and cheer in a blink of an eye. I will blame fans for violent behavior, not for booing, cheering, stupidity, not knowing the rules, criticism of the coach, wishy washy personalities etc etc etc. Talk to many Sparty fans and they will not see any targeting in the game. My problem is with missed calls by officials that are missed calls by the booth with no explanation.

Thought the same thing -- not just the spear but a lot of chippy shit. Was amazed at the restraint and class of our players. They didn't get into it and retaliate. They just dismantled them and walked away with class. Kudos to Kelly's boys.

Thought it was dirty as usual when playing MSU. Love going to their place and beating them even with all their dirty shots and gimmick trick plays they love to run.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Fans are fans. They boo and cheer in a blink of an eye. I will blame fans for violent behavior, not for booing, cheering, stupidity, not knowing the rules, criticism of the coach, wishy washy personalities etc etc etc. Talk to many Sparty fans and they will not see any targeting in the game. My problem is with missed calls by officials that are missed calls by the booth with no explanation.

I don't mind the typical fan behavior -- your QB throws an 80-yard bomb for a TD and it's called back for holding; you boo, even if the penalty was blatent. But I felt they were particularly vociferous about things that were pretty obvious.

Yes. You're definitely not the only one that noticed.

MSU center Brian Allen, on if he thinks the team was ready for a big game, and if the undisciplined penalties should be worried about:

“The personal fouls and stuff? You don’t like to see them, but at the same time those come from playing physical, so just clean it up a little bit, be more mature about it and move forward but it’s good to have guys to try and finish. If the penalties come you have to learn from those, but just get that guys are trying to go after people, but you can’t do it in between the whistles.”

Link

I mean you had a player take a dirty shot at our QB and almost blow out his knee?
As I said in the OP, I was surprised. I like Dantonio and I have always liked Michigan St over any other Big program except Wisconsin. Your teams always play physical hard nosed football and your coaches routinely get players to perform to their ceilings. My OP specifically disregarded the spearing incident for example, as there are always one or two plays on either side that warrant scrutiny. My question was more directed at all the end of play crap that MSU engaged in...or chippy shit as Stu here described it. Not something I expect from a Dantonio team.

Yes. You're definitely not the only one that noticed.

MSU center Brian Allen, on if he thinks the team was ready for a big game, and if the undisciplined penalties should be worried about:

“The personal fouls and stuff? You don’t like to see them, but at the same time those come from playing physical, so just clean it up a little bit, be more mature about it and move forward but it’s good to have guys to try and finish. If the penalties come you have to learn from those, but just get that guys are trying to go after people, but you can’t do it in between the whistles.”

Link
Exactly

I mean you had a player take a dirty shot at our QB and almost blow out his knee?
No need to try and justify the targeting non call. Initial look had me thinking our guy actually hit the QB above the knee anyway. I will have to take another look when I watch the replay. None of it matters because what is done, is done. Let the HC's handle it from here.

I live in Michigan. Texted my MSU grad buddy during the game, "I've never seen such a dirty team that is so soft!"

Yes, I thought Michigan State was dirty when I first watched the game and when I watched it again they seemed even dirtier. I guess they have to make up with a lack of athleticism by playing dirty.

I live in Michigan. Texted my MSU grad buddy during the game, "I've never seen such a dirty team that is so soft!"
Took my first trip to the UP and Mackinac. The Bridge is one wild scene to cross. Nothing like it from my parts. Just a few hours out of NW Indiana and into Michigan is like traveling to another country. Beautiful to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT