ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive coaches!! HIT THE PORTAL

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
probably the first time I’ve been more confident in offense than D going into season since 2016

Need at minimum 2 dl and a safety all starting quality! Let’s go! We have a chance if they can hit the portal and coach them up! Offense should be fire 🔥

Yawn
probably the first time I’ve been more confident in offense than D going into season since 2016

Need at minimum 2 dl and a safety all starting quality! Let’s go! We have a chance if they can hit the portal and coach them up! Offense should be fire 🔥
Yawn

Yawn
Yawn
afternoon Pennick. Hope you’re still getting your golf in, albeit weather is a bit of a challenge for this nearly everywhere. I don’t see this as a big yawn. I Agree with Nasty…offense can be special this year, but we are vulnerable on defense, especially the DL. This staff are aggressively looking at the portal, and even underclassman are being considered. We either need a couple quality DL to give us some impactful play, or a Couple of our young guys are going to have to explode on the scene this Spring.

My bad…. Forgot our team is perfect just as is

Good thing no one is excited about landing a transfer portal qb

Why do people enjoy losing every year? Jeash
Do you enjoy being wrong every day? You totally crapped all over Vernon and yet, he lost weight and is kicking butt …

Crashing

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86 and NDinNJ
Do you enjoy being wrong every day? You totally crapped all over Vernon and yet, he lost weight and is kicking butt …

Crashing
If you actually read what I write it’s spot on…. Way back I said Vernon had no motor and was giving no effort, lo me and behold he gets interviewed this week and says the same thing….

He states he has issues he’s working through outside of football and he wasn’t all that into it… concerning for sure but can be changed

Hopefully he gets them cleaned up and can become what many thought he could 2 years ago. He’s in better shape now than he was a few months ago so that’s a good step

If you actually read what I write it’s spot on…. Way back I said Vernon had no motor and was giving no effort, lo me and behold he gets interviewed this week and says the same thing….

He states he has issues he’s working through outside of football and he wasn’t all that into it… concerning for sure but can be changed

Hopefully he gets them cleaned up and can become what many thought he could 2 years ago. He’s in better shape now than he was a few months ago so that’s a good step
Dont pivot. you stated he was not committed to football and that he is not the type of player we need… so quite dismissive of him ../versus the real story that he had an issue he was dealing with that stole time from football…

Reactions: Telx1
Dont pivot. you stated he was not committed to football and that he is not the type of player we need… so quite dismissive of him ../versus the real story that he had an issue he was dealing with that stole time from football…
Vernon didn’t lose his abilities or incredible upside, it appears he lost his focus and commitment to the game because of problems at home. He’s looking like a young man reborn this week, with a streamlined physique and noticeable effort at the All American practices. I think he’ll thrive in the ND family and I think he’ll be an impactful player for us at SDE. He’s stepping into a great opportunity to compete for minutes on day 1.

afternoon Pennick. Hope you’re still getting your golf in, albeit weather is a bit of a challenge for this nearly everywhere. I don’t see this as a big yawn. I Agree with Nasty…offense can be special this year, but we are vulnerable on defense, especially the DL. This staff are aggressively looking at the portal, and even underclassman are being considered. We either need a couple quality DL to give us some impactful play, or a Couple of our young guys are going to have to explode on the scene this Spring.
Telx, Doing well but haven't seen the sun in days.
What is great about college football is the development of young players. ND isn't going
to pull a bunch of players from portal. Just not going to happen.
Nasty's schtick is tiresome.

Yes I said not committed I never said not the type of player we need…. I stated his interview should raise some red flags to the coaches but they probably already know whatever issues are/were going on

I said if he doesn’t change he won’t be a game changer that we need …
Still holds true

What is great about college football is the development of young players. ND isn't going
So if we pull 5-10 this year what will your take be?

Al Washington needs to spend less time at Golden Coral and more time learning to coach and recruit.

DL looked terrible at bowl except for Bohtelo. So yes, ND needs to get great DL in portal and a safety. Look for more exodus before spring from D
backfield youngins and hopefully no RBs. Evans and others[Bauman] will fight for TEs spots.OL -time for Baker,Carmody and Spindler to excel in spring. I am not a Correl fan but who they gonna put there besides him.

Imagine being behind Alt,Spindler,Correl?,Schrauth and Fisher. That's a ton of heavies.

CBs for safety from OK st (more of a cover safety), and vaughn visiting.

Despite what Pennick says, looks like coaches realize they need help from the portal. Glad they can see it too.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Good morning, I think college football is quickly changing in ways not to my liking, or yours. NIL without restrictions and access to the transfer portal without sitting a year are two radical disruptive changes. I think ND will always be committed first and foremost to recruiting their guys and developing them as young men and athletes. That said, I also believe ND will increasingly make selective use of portal transfers, and this will include underclassman. They have already used the portal to add a QB, a receiver, and a kicker, and it looks like a safety addition is imminent. Times they are a changing…as the song goes, and ND needs to use all the tools available to stay competitive.

Reactions: Kelso86
Defense is in trouble unless we get some help.

The cornerback room is as good as I can remember.

Watts seems very solid at one safety spot. The second and third ish spots are problems. Likely will depond on freshmen which is in itself a problem.

The linebackers have talent but will the same guys be playing? We have way too much talent waiting to play. They have to get on the field. Marist was very disappointing this year. Jd is solid but unspectacular and can be exposed.

The dl is a major concern. Bothelo looked good at vyper and we have some young depth coming in that can compete if needed. Mills looks solid if unspectacular. Justin is going pro. The dts are undersized and haven't played much in comparison to what is going to be asked. You want 8-9 dl guys that can rotate depending on situation...ND looks to have 3-4 proven guys. That's a major problem.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Good morning, I think college football is quickly changing in ways not to my liking, or yours. NIL without restrictions and access to the transfer portal without sitting a year are two radical disruptive changes. I think ND will always be committed first and foremost to recruiting their guys and developing them as young men and athletes. That said, I also believe ND will increasingly make selective use of portal transfers, and this will include underclassman. They have already used the portal to add a QB, a receiver, and a kicker, and it looks like a safety addition is imminent. Times they are a changing…as the song goes, and ND needs to use all the tools available to stay competitive.
Yeah but are many young kids gonna stay on side lines for very long when they can bolt like free agents? Kollie,Burnham ,Ziegler and Sneed gotta improve this spring at LB. Burnham at DE, I am not sure of. DL Mills,Ford,K, and maybe one of the incoming frosh need to show. If Mickey or Bell or Gray can show they can play- goodbye Lewis and Hart.

ADVERTISEMENT