ADVERTISEMENT

Criticism’s, Props, and general thoughts of ND FB

Dec 29, 2005
let me start by saying as I did in a previous post, I’m quite happy in general with the team/program. After nearly two decades of a record number of double digit defeats, as well as losing to subpar programs far to often, it’s nice to see ND beating everyone they should consistently and competing in virtually every game. The program hasn’t been this good since the early 90’s.

Ok, that’s over, on to the meat.

I get what their intent was on defense, not wanting an incredible WR group eating our lunch but when you look at the 15 times ND played four DL in passing downs they pressured/hit him 8 times and sacked him 3 times (one sack came with 3 DL). That is a pretty high percentage against a young QB, I like those numbers and by default it would have strengthened the run defense as well.

Offensively, I really don’t like criticizing players and I rarely do but again, I don’t get the coaches love affair for Finke? He’s a nice kid but that doesn’t win football games. I’ve said it since last season, he should never be out wide, he doesn’t get separation, he gets pushed around, poor blocking as he isn’t physical enough, and to top it off he hasn’t been catching the ball consistently. I just don’t understand why some of these other guys that are seemingly much more talented like McKinley, Young, Keys, and Lenzy aren’t getting a much larger share of reps? We need to get our best athletes the ball.

There were too many drops yesterday, I was disappointed as Book threw a number of balls on the money that were just dropped. Tremble, Jones, and Finke had multiple drops, that can’t happen.

Positives, the OL was great, in pass blocking and run blocking, a number of plays they were in the second level and even pushed piles for extra yards. Kmet continues to show why he is a special player destined for big things, great hands, route running, and his blocking is even better than I had realized. Jones was terrific minus a few dropped balls, he ran determined, very physical, and never stopped moving his legs, great game.

Lastly, our young Kicker Dorer (sp?), he has stepped up and done quite well, I knew he had a hammer but he has surprised me with his consistency thus far, helmet sticker for that young man.

We’re half way through boys, here’s hoping we sweep the 2nd half of the season.

Go Irish!!

Reactions: Kelso86
Well said. But what is it with McKinley -- dropping that ball and later he dropped a first down catch? How about Lenzy getting more touches instead of Finke.

I wonder about Kelly and his analytics. We've been 27-5 since he changed it up, but it is clear he does play the percentages in games vs. top talent.

I also wonder if the emphasis on not beating yourselves is one of the reasons our QBs don't seem to develop. Are they too worried about making a mistake?

Still, I remember the Davie, Willingham, Weiss years when an int or fumble would happen and we'd lose a game we should've won.

So, I'm not smart enough to argue with our recent success.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT