ADVERTISEMENT

Coan and the quick strike.....

Harpo Marxist

I've posted how many times?
Sep 11, 2002
Jack is capable of throwing the quick pass to either receivers or running backs after a couple of steps across the line of scrimmage. That quick pass negates whatever offensive line weakness exists....and gives the defense something else to defend...which thins out the rush. ND was effective mixing those plays in, and actually made the long ball more effective. One dimensional Jack dropping back is just putting a bullseye on his back. If he can't run...and basically he can't...then mix up the passing game and get rid of the ball fast....I want the opponents defense thinking about as many options as possible....it makes each one that much more effective.

Tyler has a faster release. I’m predicting Coan will get injured. The line is going to get him killed. Buchner better be ready.

I always think of Joe Tiller's basketball on grass offense at Purdue as the paradigm to protect an overwhelmed OL. We could never get to the QB with his 3 step and throw offense. It was death by 1000 paper cuts. And it spread out the defense so much he usually had a 100 yard RB in games against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Very much agreed about the desirability of a quick-throw offense for the time being if that could be arranged/managed successfully enough. Purdue was doing it themselves on Saturday. It didn't amount to much for them, but our defense delivered the goods and shut them down.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I think tempo is better than quick throw offense. We rarely have some perfect play call and instead allow the defense to always get set and catch their breath. We ran like 60 plays to Purdue’s 80 …. Not good

He missed on a few slants that would have been huge gains as Purdue was blitzing and left the corners 1:1. Just gotta make those throws and receivers gotta make the catch.

He missed on a few slants that would have been huge gains as Purdue was blitzing and left the corners 1:1. Just gotta make those throws and receivers gotta make the catch.
There were some drops, poor throws, and our receivers didn't get off press coverage that great. That was part of the reason coan had to hold the ball a little longer.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
There were some drops, poor throws, and our receivers didn't get off press coverage that great. That was part of the reason coan had to hold the ball a little longer.
Gonna see that the rest of the year until Austin and lenzy can show they can beat press coverage.

Quick throws won't address the inability to beat the press.

I agree tempo would be good as well as an aggressive screen game to back off the blitzes.

Gonna see that the rest of the year until Austin and lenzy can show they can beat press coverage.

Quick throws won't address the inability to beat the press.

I agree tempo would be good as well as an aggressive screen game to back off the blitzes.
Agree, if we can't make people pay by having big plays this year the way we're getting defended then we'll continue to be in dog fights. We hit on 2 big pass plays vs purdue and it should have been about 6.

I think tempo is better than quick throw offense. We rarely have some perfect play call and instead allow the defense to always get set and catch their breath. We ran like 60 plays to Purdue’s 80 …. Not good
Ummmm... you can do both.

Okay... So then you run tempo with quick pass offense. you audible your calls at the LOS based on the coverage. You can even put a double call in. With a man side and a zone side call.

So Austin/Lenzy need to try harder. Some of those stonehands moments made me wonder if they were really grabbing at the ball.

Jack is capable of throwing the quick pass to either receivers or running backs after a couple of steps across the line of scrimmage. That quick pass negates whatever offensive line weakness exists....and gives the defense something else to defend...which thins out the rush. ND was effective mixing those plays in, and actually made the long ball more effective. One dimensional Jack dropping back is just putting a bullseye on his back. If he can't run...and basically he can't...then mix up the passing game and get rid of the ball fast....I want the opponents defense thinking about as many options as possible....it makes each one that much more effective.
As I have stated previously before the season started Jack Coan is going to win the heisman. I expect for him to have a GREAT day against the Badgers and get the H-talk going.

I seem to recall that when ND was playing against a very aggressive Tennessee defense that Weiss called an inordinate number of draws and screens, sometimes two or maybe three times in a row in order to diffuse the rush.

I don’t recall that many draws and screens so far, but maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: francade and Java65
you can but we struggle in areas needed to be a quick pass offense, like beating press
I do agree with this because both Lenzy and Austin struggled Sat beating the press. That said, coaching and scheme can help because all their routes stay near the boundary, they never have a route that takes them to the middle of the field other than a post route.

If you vary their routs it's harder to press.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT