ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Quinn

zonairish

I've posted how many times?
Sep 19, 2012
I remember the disappointment of collective fans that they were upset that Quinn was selected as the O-line coach. Obviously, HH was known as a top notch coach. And now he is where he belongs in the pro's. Quinn, no one is sure of as a coach. And most of us did not believe he could recruit. We (posters and fans) are definitely wrong about his recruiting abilities. I am truly impressed. I hope he is equally the coach that HH was.

Reactions: mirer03
I remember the disappointment of collective fans that they were upset that Quinn was selected as the O-line coach. Obviously, HH was known as a top notch coach. And now he is where he belongs in the pro's. Quinn, no one is sure of as a coach. And most of us did not believe he could recruit. We (posters and fans) are definitely wrong about his recruiting abilities. I am truly impressed. I hope he is equally the coach that HH was.
Recruiting is such a collaborative effort. head coaches get all the credit and they do the least.

Recruiting is such a collaborative effort. head coaches get all the credit and they do the least.
I think HC should be the ones that seal the deal. Urban seems to have that down or at least we perceive that

I think HC should be the ones that seal the deal. Urban seems to have that down or at least we perceive that
Urban has a much easier product to sell to top football players. He can literally offer anyone he wants.

I was an Engineer in college and witnessed football players that had to do next to nothing to get an ok degree, while focusing on football. If I was good enough to have Urban and Kelly knocking down my door really wanting me, and I thought I was NFL material, even though I love ND, it would be tough to say no to Urban and the life a football player can have at OSU vs ND. With that being said, I would be concerned about Urban telling you sweet nothings, and the depth/talent they can bring in year after year. If you're a stud and go to ND, you'll get your shot.

Oh i agree they are the closer. my point was that of the actual number of hours invested in a recruit in many different capacities the head coach easily has the least.

Reactions: zonairish
I was in Coach Quinn's corner from day one. I watch him do his thing at Cincinnati with a lot less talent. In 2016 when the offensive line struggled there was several moments I wondered if the best OL coach was standing farther down the sideline. From what I've read it was coach Elston who stood in the gap unil Coach Quinn was hired. Coach Kelly showed wisdom when he made Quinn a member of the S&C Program. HH and JQ became friends and JQ began spending time in the OL Room. It made for a smooth transition. It just didn't make sense bringing in a stranger with so much on the line.

Very impressed with Coach Quinn on the recruiting front. By most accounts Harry didn't enjoy that part of the job. I am glad that BK gave Coach Quinn the chance.

Urban has a much easier product to sell to top football players. He can literally offer anyone he wants.

I was an Engineer in college and witnessed football players that had to do next to nothing to get an ok degree, while focusing on football. If I was good enough to have Urban and Kelly knocking down my door really wanting me, and I thought I was NFL material, even though I love ND, it would be tough to say no to Urban and the life a football player can have at OSU vs ND. With that being said, I would be concerned about Urban telling you sweet nothings, and the depth/talent they can bring in year after year. If you're a stud and go to ND, you'll get your shot.
I agree.... If I would of been good enough, I would of gone to ND because I have alwasy been a huge fan.... but I totally understand why players would pick a school that requires less effort and allows you to focus on going Pro..... It would be like another student picking Purdue because he wants to be an engineer..... Going to Purdue would be the best shot to help him obtain his goal (or any other college that specializes in certain degrees.).

Very impressed with Coach Quinn on the recruiting front. By most accounts Harry didn't enjoy that part of the job. I am glad that BK gave Coach Quinn the chance.
recruiting is a real grind and the older a coach gets the tougher it gets. hell at the end joe moore basically said he wasn't going to go on the road. he'd meet with kids on campus but that was it.

Yes. This is where you have to have a family support system and a decent head on your shoulders to realize the benefits of the 4 for 40 plan.

Football is not forever.

Reactions: echowaker
Yes. This is where you have to have a family support system and a decent head on your shoulders to realize the benefits of the 4 for 40 plan.

Football is not forever.

ISD had a good interview with hunter Biven that you all a real good perspective on recruiting. He speaks of his recruiting process and some negative recruiting

ISD had a good interview with hunter Biven that you all a real good perspective on recruiting. He speaks of his recruiting process and some negative recruiting

Just go read the stuff Q Nelson’s dad put out there about Q’s recruitment. The majority of the big programs didn’t tell him how they could help him, but why ND was a bad choice. It actually made him want ND even more.
Urban Meyer told Q he would hate South Bend, it’s a horrible place. That him & his wife hates it there. That’s how Urban recruited Q.

Football is not forever.
From my experience of 45 years as an ND fan/alum. If a parent is heavily involved in the recruiting process, it's good for us. If both parents are in the picture and both are involved in the process, it's even better for us. Parents generally can see through the BS better than 17 year old kids can. Generally. Not always.

Reactions: tbonesays
Just go read the stuff Q Nelson’s dad put out there about Q’s recruitment. The majority of the big programs didn’t tell him how they could help him, but why ND was a bad choice. It actually made him want ND even more.
Urban Meyer told Q he would hate South Bend, it’s a horrible place. That him & his wife hates it there. That’s how Urban recruited Q.
While it's easy to hypothesize, if I were a parent in this process, my first word to every coach would be, talk about YOUR program and what YOU can do to help my son's career. As soon as you mention another school, we are done with you. It would probably cause some coaches to start twitching and hyperventilating.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
“Urban Meyer told Q he would hate South Bend, it’s a horrible place. That him & his wife hates it there. That’s how Urban recruited Q.”

F urban

Reactions: ND4Real
If a coach has to resort to bad mouthing another program to get a recruit, well that should tell a kid a lot about that program.

Reactions: zonairish
If a coach has to resort to bad mouthing another program to get a recruit, well that should tell a kid a lot about that program.
Some of it is true and helpful for a recruit. Now if the coach lies and gets caught he should be called out.

Someone saying "ND has awful winters and it will be really cold, look at the weather at clemson or florida state in the winter" I'm fine with that because it's true. Or ND will require you to spend a lot of your free time doing school work, come here, you can focus on football. Again, fine with it, because it's true.

ND can hype up their degree because it's a much better degree than most other power 5 schools.

I had coaches telling me "you don't want to go to that school, it's a huge school and you'll get lost in the mix." Well I wanted a big school and I wanted it to have talent so that I would be challenged even more.

Some of it is true and helpful for a recruit. Now if the coach lies and gets caught he should be called out.

You mean like Urban Meyer telling NPF & his family that OSU is an elite academic institution, just 2 weeks before the NCAA releasing graduation results that said the exact opposite? LOL

You mean like Urban Meyer telling NPF & his family that OSU is an elite academic institution, just 2 weeks before the NCAA releasing graduation results that said the exact opposite? LOL
I guess he'd spin that as being DUE to OSU being an elite academic institution. Son, it's just a very competitive tough place to graduate from.

Right now he's recruiting well, but he's also coasting on HH, McGlinchey and Nelson's coat tails. Not saying he wont be an excellent coach. But the recruiting successes so far may not be indicative of what to expect considering we just put 2 top 10 picks in the league.

Quinn developed Jason Kelce the super bowl champs OL. That is also helping his credibility.

Reactions: Kelso86
It's like the weather in south Bend sucks but when you go to the NFL and Green Bay drafts you then sit out.

ADVERTISEMENT