ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson's Schedule this year...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Have to say watching the Championship games on Saturday I was jealous... The bowl games are a joke these days... Like watching my Giants finish this season... The Championship games had stakes even for teams just playing spoiler... That would have been fun.

I know "the brand" "the brand" -- but this isn't 1930 and recruits have no idea about the brand.

Look at Clemson's schedule and imagine if ND had a ACC schedule this year.

Apart from their ACC schedule they played Texas A&M -- then freaking Wofford and Charlotte!

If ND was in the ACC Coastal... we could have substituted USC for A&M keeping our oldest rivalry -- then hell, Bowling Green and N Mexico. We would have been 12-0 going into Championship game.

I don't see Clemson scheduling even two top programs outside of the ACC each year -- we scheduled four Georgia-Michigan-USC-Stanford (yes, Stanford had a down year but they were a ranked team when we scheduled them.)

If we were in the ACC we'd have a presence in the East, Southeast and Florida. Keep USC which gives us Cali... And perhaps add a big-ten/big twelve opponent from time to time -- like we do now. What does playing Navy do for us? Do you think recruits will turns us down if we don't play Navy?!

For me joining the ACC is looking better and better. Final reason: Notre Dame will never get into the Championship Series unless they are undefeated. Kelly's done it twice. The last time...?

1988 -- and Saint Lou only did it once. That is 31 years. I'd like to be in a position if we lost a game and then upset a Clemson or Florida State (if they come back) and still get it...

I don't believe the brand suffers one bit.

Disagree with me if you like, but the idea should not be to make it as easy as possible for ND to make the playoffs. The idea should be to play a representative schedule including some tough opponents. Playoff bids should be earned, IMO. I, for one, am not a proponent of playing 8 ACC opponents, USC, Navy, Bowling Green and New Mexico. That would be an awful schedule.

This is a great argument to join conference USA
No, the ACC -- look, elite academic institutions like Duke and Virginia play there. It is a good fit. We already play a lot of these teams (even before our ACC 'deal') -- Pitt, BC, even Miami and Florida State are teams we've played... So no, not CUSA. Nice try.

Reactions: mirer03
Solid points, even at 11-1 I don't think we are a shoe in for the playoff. I think being independent has great advantages, but now is showing limitations as well. I know this is a very divided topic, but I think we can all admit that joining a conference may be more likely then ever before.

Granted 3 of the 4 teams in are unblemished, so no reason we can't be.

Winning solves everything!

Reactions: ohio1980
Clemson does it! They have two nattys and their recruiting numbers are up up up! Who said Pitt, Florida State, BC, Miami, Clemson, now Virginia are cupcakes?!

I'd like to win another national championship. To get there we'll have to go undefeated. Pretty tough to look at our schedule next year and say that will happen. But with a championship game we still have a chance with one loss.

Kids want to play in Conference Championships. The brand that was ND (Catholic College/midwest/plays the academies) is not what you would call a 'hip' brand anymore. Look, I'm an alum and I love ND -- I still have ten buddies who I text with nearly every day about everything... it was a great four years... But times have changed... Recruits are looking for more than what ND is offering... We would still be the legendary football program that happened to join a conference.

Kids want to play under the lights of a conference championship, not Navy.

Clemson does it! They have two nattys and their recruiting numbers are up up up! Who said Pitt, Florida State, BC, Miami, Clemson, now Virginia are cupcakes?!

I'd like to win another national championship. To get there we'll have to go undefeated. Pretty tough to look at our schedule next year and say that will happen. But with a championship game we still have a chance with one loss.

Uh, I think your initial post on this thread suggested those teams were cupcakes, as you were citing Clemson's schedule as something ND could adopt in order to get 12 wins. I think playing five ACC schools every year is more than enough. As stated, I don't think the goal is to make it as easy as possible for ND to get a playoff bid.

Disagree with me if you like, but the idea should not be to make it as easy as possible for ND to make the playoffs. The idea should be to play a representative schedule including some tough opponents. Playoff bids should be earned, IMO. I, for one, am not a proponent of playing 8 ACC opponents, USC, Navy, Bowling Green and New Mexico. That would be an awful schedule.

Love this!

Moronic. Play a boring ACC schedule then get blown out by Clem and wind up in a meaningless bowl game with no recruits. Why don't you just cheer for Wake Forest.

Have to say watching the Championship games on Saturday I was jealous... The bowl games are a joke these days... Like watching my Giants finish this season... The Championship games had stakes even for teams just playing spoiler... That would have been fun.

I know "the brand" "the brand" -- but this isn't 1930 and recruits have no idea about the brand.

Apart from their ACC schedule they played Texas A&M -- then freaking Wofford and Charlotte!

If ND was in the ACC Coastal... we could have substituted USC for A&M keeping our oldest rivalry -- then hell, Bowling Green and N Mexico. We would have been 12-0 going into Championship game.

I don't see Clemson scheduling even two top programs outside of the ACC each year -- we scheduled four Georgia-Michigan-USC-Stanford (yes, Stanford had a down year but they were a ranked team when we scheduled them.)

If we were in the ACC we'd have a presence in the East, Southeast and Florida. Keep USC which gives us Cali... And perhaps add a big-ten/big twelve opponent from time to time -- like we do now. What does playing Navy do for us? Do you think recruits will turns us down if we don't play Navy?!

For me joining the ACC is looking better and better. Final reason: Notre Dame will never get into the Championship Series unless they are undefeated. Kelly's done it twice. The last time...?

1988 -- and Saint Lou only did it once. That is 31 years. I'd like to be in a position if we lost a game and then upset a Clemson or Florida State (if they come back) and still get it...

EXACTLY SPOT ON!!!!

Moronic. Play a boring ACC schedule then get blown out by Clem and wind up in a meaningless bowl game with no recruits. Why don't you just cheer for Wake Forest.
He's an alum and you're a nobody, and your calling him moronic. Now that is rich

Last edited:
Reactions: amazingreis
Kids want to play in Conference Championships. The brand that was ND (Catholic College/midwest/plays the academies) is not what you would call a 'hip' brand anymore. Look, I'm an alum and I love ND -- I still have ten buddies who I text with nearly every day about everything... it was a great four years... But times have changed... Recruits are looking for more than what ND is offering... We would still be the legendary football program that happened to join a conference.

Kids want to play under the lights of a conference championship, not Navy.

I think that kids who want to play for a conference championship go to schools other than ND, because they know that, at ND, they won't be playing for one. You and I graduated ND the same year, Stu. We are just poles apart on this issue.

Clemson also plays South Carolina every year OOC.

And I think it’s really hard to say we will never get in at 11-1. We probably would have this year and 2015 if we had gone 11-1 both times.

Reactions: Leahylads
I think that kids who want to play for a conference championship go to schools other than ND, because they know that, at ND, they won't be playing for one. You and I graduated ND the same year, Stu. We are just poles apart on this issue.

That's cool, none of my ND buddies agree with me on this either...

I wonder if it is an age divide: older guys (50+, I'm 63) remember the 60s/70s/80s --- were were there for it. Younger guys have lived with the 90s/00s/10s and really don't know much about our history...

I remember Notre Dame wouldn't play in a bowl game for a long time. We changed that.

We've been thinking this way for a long time... and, although Kelly has gotten closer than anyone -- Lou did it '89 (31 years ago) ... It still feels a long ways away...

Good point about South Carolina... Forgot about them... We could play Michigan or Michigan St and USC -- or USC and Stanford --

It is not about playing an easier schedule. it is about Championship games...

I wonder if this an issues coaches hear when recruiting elite talent? It would be something to ask our coaches and or someone who knows recruits and recruiting...

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
That's cool, none of my ND buddies agree with me on this either...

I wonder if it is an age divide: older guys (50+, I'm 63) remember the 60s/70s/80s --- were were there for it. Younger guys have lived with the 90s/00s/10s and really don't know much about our history...

I remember Notre Dame wouldn't play in a bowl game for a long time. We changed that.

We've been thinking this way for a long time... and, although Kelly has gotten closer than anyone -- Lou did it '89 (31 years ago) ... It still feels a long ways away...

Good point about South Carolina... Forgot about them... We could play Michigan or Michigan St and USC -- or USC and Stanford --

It is not about playing an easier schedule. it is about Championship games...

I wonder if this an issues coaches hear when recruiting elite talent? It would be something to ask our coaches and or someone who knows recruits and recruiting...

Not surprised. None of my buddies agree with you on this point, either.

Reactions: sluggo69
Would be in the Orange Bowl instead of Virginia this year. I’d rather watch ND vs FL than ISU.

Cry me a river! Only a ND’r ! Clemson would have stomped ND worse than UM. You guys have no grasp of conference scheduling and rivalry!
Bowling Green! New Mexico! What was the Big ND “W” ?
Where does your lament come from?

I sincerely hope no non ND fans read this thread, we would sound like abunch of cry babies!

Cry me a river! Only a ND’r ! Clemson would have stomped ND worse than UM. You guys have no grasp of conference scheduling and rivalry!

I sincerely hope no non ND fans read this thread, we would sound like abunch of cry babies!
I gotta say, you sound like an asshole

Go back to your USC board

That is why I have him on ignore... life is too short.

I tried to look up the $ involved. Found an article that said all ACC programs get 26.6 million (this was a year ago, before the ACC network started) and ND gets 5.8 million. Hmmm... We currently get 15 Million from NBC...

The math seems to say we'd make more if we joined the ACC? Can anyone clear this up for me?

That is why I have him on ignore... life is too short.

I tried to look up the $ involved. Found an article that said all ACC programs get 26.6 million (this was a year ago, before the ACC network started) and ND gets 5.8 million. Hmmm... We currently get 15 Million from NBC...

The math seems to say we'd make more if we joined the ACC? Can anyone clear this up for me?

In a program like ND, tv revenue is not the primary driver of total athletic revenue, over 100 million. Anything that reduces interest from fans and BMDs would be detrimental.

NBC pays less than ESPN but puts us in the households of cord cutters. We need PR far more than the annual cash.

You know why all this must be undefeated talk to make the post season is being said?

Because both times we only had 1 close loss ND couldn't finish the year out with a killer instinct and make the committee very uncomfortable selecting teams.
2015 season...we were right there and had a chance to smash Stanford on the road and....

Price is right music....

We lost to the Cardinal.

2017 only losing to Geirgia by a slim margin we had a great position to get a playoff spot or be in the talk.

Fell on face in miami....Brian Kelly style.

This year a tight game in Athens one in which seen us later pass Georgia in the rankings after their loss to South Carolina ....
We could have been right in the mix...

N
O
P
E.

A drubbing for the ages in Ann Arbor

Brian Kelly needs a kind schedule and have everything clicking for a chance. In other words all things must fall just right.

He will NEVER force or change the result based on his coaching. Everything must go just right for him to get there. Once there...no more hiding.
The shellacking begins.

That's ND football at present.

You know why all this must be undefeated talk to make the post season is being said?

Because both times we only had 1 close loss ND couldn't finish the year out with a killer instinct and make the committee very uncomfortable selecting teams.
2015 season...we were right there and had a chance to smash Stanford on the road and....

Price is right music....

We lost to the Cardinal.

2017 only losing to Geirgia by a slim margin we had a great position to get a playoff spot or be in the talk.

Fell on face in miami....Brian Kelly style.

This year a tight game in Athens one in which seen us later pass Georgia in the rankings after their loss to South Carolina ....
We could have been right in the mix...

N
O
P
E.

A drubbing for the ages in Ann Arbor

Brian Kelly needs a kind schedule and have everything clicking for a chance. In other words all things must fall just right.

He will NEVER force or change the result based on his coaching. Everything must go just right for him to get there. Once there...no more hiding.
The shellacking begins.

That's ND football at present.
Ouch!

So in the 80s were Ohio State and Alabama saying Kids nowadays want to play in the Fiesta Bowl?

1990s: Did they say Recruits go to Miami because kids want to play the Big East schedule?

My Dad (ND class 1956) and I talked about this when ND joined the ACC. He never wanted ND to give up it's independent status and he hated playing even the Big East schools. When the BE disbanded from the football schools he felt that was a good opportunity for ND to stay in the BE for all sports and play a true independent schedule. Be damn the bowl tie ins. I mean with the following the ND has what bowl game wouldn't want ND to come play in there game. He said this weekend that the Camping World Bowl game will be 60% or more ND fans and a sell out.

ADVERTISEMENT