ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea

Bracy’s form on the deep Td was inexcusable. He literally just stayed in backpedal until he got smoked by. I’ve never seen worse, and why he got yanked. But you bring Lewis in and the plan with him was let them catch it but tackle right away. Except he had many missed tackles gave up a Td and almost cost us the game.

cornerback play and possibly coaching are biggest weakness on team, especially second corner position.
Just imagine if we didn't get McCloud from ncsu...

I totally don't agree with that at all, I just don't. I mean get the thinking, but I totally disagree. If you feel like Clark Lea or someone like that has the right stuff then you hire him. And just get over it. It doesn't guarantee or promise anything either way. It's a shibboleth!

And Bob Davie is not a good example IMO as a cautionary tale because he was a snake, and a hustler, and that was just a regrettable situation all around. My point is if you think you have another Dabo Swinnery, or another Bob Stoops, you hire the guy. Without question. That's just easy money, and you take that chance.

Especially in the case of someone like Clark Lea, who now has several years at ND under his belt and so he knows the place well. But of course BK's not going anywhere just yet, and so we don't need a new coach, and Clark Lea's not liable to wait that long.

But maybe if Clark Lea is able to get the Vandy job this year and does fairly well for himself we could hire him back in three or four years time When BK finally hangs 'em up. That's the best of both worlds!

I cant imagine it as a first time. Yes, Dabo was successful and Bob Davie was not. Recruiting ia different, time is different and expectations are diff.

I don't remember who said it, maybe Lou who i trust, i believe he said it took every year of experience he had to coach at ND.

I dont know why the most storied program in CFB rolls the dice. Go toss what ever money you need at Saban, Myer, Dabo, etc.

Thats my only point. Who wants another Bob, Jerry, Ty, etc. Lets not roll the dice. This is very enjoyable.

I cant imagine it as a first time. Yes, Dabo was successful and Bob Davie was not. Recruiting ia different, time is different and expectations are diff.

I don't remember who said it, maybe Lou who i trust, i believe he said it took every year of experience he had to coach at ND.

I dont know why the most storied program in CFB rolls the dice. Go toss what ever money you need at Saban, Myer, Dabo, etc.

Thats my only point. Who wants another Bob, Jerry, Ty, etc. Lets not roll the dice. This is very enjoyable.

Oh well, you know.... I could easily be wrong. To me that's just one of those things where you just can't let yourself get stuck on some bit of, personally I think outdated wisdom. And by that I mean the willingness to turn away a potentially great coach on the basis of an hoary axiom, I just don't agree. There are too many great coaches that aren't going to work their way up the ranks in the traditional way, and you have to be receptive to the possibility, and make a judgement call, and not rule it out.

I wouldn't know if, at the end of BK's remaining time at ND, and Clark Lea was still here which he probably wouldn't be, if he would be that rare case. You have to be a bit of a visionary, I will admit. But I could see it, if we're talking blue-sky thinking. I could see Clark Lea stepping in to HC position, after he's been here for around seven years. That's a scenario where I might give it a big thumbs up and take that chance.

I think Clark Lea would probably get his own gig by then, and won't be here anyway by the end of BK's contract.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Leaving for Vanderbilt is a wholesale bad idea. James Franklin went 24-16 in 3 years and parlayed that in to the Penn State job. But Franklin was ahead of the curve with his Spread Offense. He gave more talented teams fits with his offensive schemes.

10 years later most of the teams in the SEC are playing 21st century offense, scoring lots of points and everyone is pretty familar with how to run and how to defend the pass. So, we are back to the teams with the best players win most of the games.

Lea's only chance would be to run the Triple Option like Paul Johnson, give people fits, try to squeak out 6 wins and parlay that into a real job.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Also when Franklin was at Vandy, UGA and UF were in an atypical rut. UTenn was also but their rut has been ongoing for 30 years .

Reactions: IrishMike409
Top programs in need of a HC, will not be beating Clark’s door down.

Now, Vandi on the other hand, that’s the type of program that will go after Clark. I really do not see Clark making the jump for a Vandi type team.

Clark should go talk to Bob Diaco. The same things being said about Clark were said about Bob. Bob has coached at 5 different teams since leaving ND. The majority of those jobs are 1-2 year stints.

Clark is a smart guy. I expect Kelly to keep him around the same way Dabo has kept his guys around. $$$$$$$ and respect and allow the coach to take ownership of his position.

Now, Vandi on the other hand, that’s the type of program that will go after Clark. I really do not see Clark making the jump for a Vandi type team.

Clark should go talk to Bob Diaco. The same things being said about Clark were said about Bob. Bob has coached at 5 different teams since leaving ND. The majority of those jobs are 1-2 year stints.

Clark is a smart guy. I expect Kelly to keep him around the same way Dabo has kept his guys around. $$$$$$$ and respect and allow the coach to take ownership of his position.

It may be hard for him to turn down his alma mater—-though it looks like Vandy is pursuing an offense-minded coach anyway.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Clark is a better dc than diaco

Where in the World is Bob DIaco?

Would be a catchy meme for sports shows.

Where in the World is Bob DIaco?

Would be a catchy meme for sports shows.
His 3 year stint at UConn where it was nearly impossible to recruit and build a winner earned him 4 jobs in the next 4 years ... he’s now the DC at Purdue and his old job would be a step up.

I met a guy who knew him well, former teammate - he said Bob was crazy as a player ... some story about him going full speed in a walkthrough at Iowa and destroying the RB and coaches were like oh well that’s Bob ... said he was just that sort high intensity crazy guy.

Reactions: tbonesays
Couldn’t have worse timing. That Clemson -10.5 is going to jump to -14 by kickoff now.

Well, that sucks. Cant imagine my first job ever as a HC would be a bottom dweller in the SEC. Seems like you would want to start in the MAC or Somewhere you can cut your teeth along with starting to assemble your buddy system of coaches you bring along with you.

Good luck to him, does Eslton step up?

Well, that sucks. Cant imagine my first job ever as a HC would be a bottom dweller in the SEC. Seems like you would want to start in the MAC or Somewhere you can cut your teeth along with starting to assemble your buddy system of coaches you bring along with you.

Geez, it's his alma mater. This should not surprise you.

Well it doesn't surprise me. I predicted this before the season even started. It wasn't a particularly daring prediction to make. Only that if Vandy ends up firing their coach which anyone could see there was a strong possibility of even before we kicked off the first game, and that if our defense was still kicking ass and there was no reason to think it wouldn't - GO IRISH!!! - that they might come calling for Clark Lea. And given both CL's being a Vandy alum and how actively he sought the BC job a year ago, that he'd probably take it.

And so here we are. Derek Mason didn't put up much of a fight that's for sure.

Surprised is not really my reaction. Its more of how one wants to manage their career. Take Kirby smart, DC to HC. Spent time under Saban. Goes to a school that can get absolute top recruits. Usually better than ND.

Then Lea, Vandy, coaches in a league where the only school that doesnt have "theory of football" is where he is at. My statement is only that you could not have worse odds for a job that is your first. He has no "support" system and no draw for other top coaches to join him other than they need a job.

I love Lea, wish him the best, hope he does well. My comment was only you could not stack worse odds against yourself with needing assistant coaches, schedule, recruting and value alignment.

Lets see if the univ supports him or do they pull a late years Lou on him.

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT