ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea

raycyrx

Irish Expert
Oct 22, 2002
How do we keep him from leaving? Is it too much to promise to offer him the head coach job once Kelly decides to leave? Is that too long for Lea to wait? Is that too much of a risk for ND?

Thoughts?

How about naming him future head coach? That would be an insensitive to stay and to keep the program on solid footing.

Clark Lea is a good coordinator. But to be honest, I’m starting to have some doubts. To be honest, I don’t think ND should make him head coach in waiting or whatever the title is these days. He needs to prove himself elsewhere.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
How do we keep him from leaving? Is it too much to promise to offer him the head coach job once Kelly decides to leave? Is that too long for Lea to wait? Is that too much of a risk for ND?

Thoughts?
Listen to yourself. Is your whole life based in fear in which you have no control?

Do you think for a moment Nick Saban soils himself if a coordinator leaves? No, he moves on just like BK will move on.

Take a step back from the ledge - there is a world out here for ND football.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Do you think for a moment Nick Saban soils himself if a coordinator leaves? No, he moves on just like BK will move on.

I heard he did once, and it was pretty gross. Yeah....

And then he hired Lane Kiffin.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Dabo keeps his guys around $$$$$.

People move on from Nick with pleasure lol

Reactions: ndhogan
He has never interviewed for a HC job. So I would expect ND has at least two more seasons before they have to worry about that.

However, he will definitely need a contract rework if ND runs the table.
He interviewed for the BC job. Hafley got it

Thoughts?

How do we stop him from surrendering 425 passing yards to a 2nd game qb?

I remember wailing and gnashing of teeth when Mike Elko left.

Coaches getting HC jobs is part of a healthy program.

pay him to keep him as long as you can. If his dream is to be a HC, than he earned it to chase that dream.

You're joking right? Some people
How do we stop him from surrendering 425 passing yards to a 2nd game qb?
Defense shut down the best RB in CFB, forced two turnovers, scored one TD and came up with two big stops in the two biggest moments of the game - in 2nd OT and late in 4th when Clemson needed one first down to end the game. Which of those would you like to trade in for -100 passing yards?

Reactions: rgc7 and Bumpdaddy
Pay him through the BK end, put some unreal bonus in for him for a Natty. Shake his hand when BK leaves. Go get a proven HC. ND should NEVER take a first time HC now matter how much we all love Clark.

Clark Lea is a good coordinator. But to be honest, I’m starting to have some doubts. To be honest, I don’t think ND should make him head coach in waiting or whatever the title is these days. He needs to prove himself elsewhere.
I am sure there was some doubters at Clemson with Dabo. But look what he's done.

You know... I've been discussing politics online for more than two decades. It's posts like this that remind me why I don't come here very often.

I must say, that was a fairly melodramatic, almost slightly unnerving response to a pretty casual query. But we're talking about the sport of football. So you gotta expect shit like that from some of these guys. Or maybe he was just being weird for weird's sake.

As to Clark Lea, I think he's as good as gone. Somebody's gonna want to hire him, and I think he's on the lookout to be a HC. Very understandable on both points. But we might get one more year out of him, if on account of coronavirus teams just aren't looking to hire and fire as much, and the opportunities will be slim. I'm not certain why that would or might be the case, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Or indeed we could offer him the notorious coach in waiting tag. That's how impressive the defense looks. And the guy very much looks like someone who could be a good so-called cultural fit here, and someone who would 'get' ND well enough and be at home in this environment. Obviously he's already thriving as a top assistant. But just saying even as a HC he could be a real fit. He's a Vandy grad, and already tried out for the BC job, so ND definitely represents shopping in that same aisle.

So my guess is that he will seek HC jobs, and he'll get one, and he'll leave. And the coach in waiting thing is, I think is best reserved for the very rare occasion, probably wouldn't want to invoke it in this case. Someone like Tommy Rees, if he were further along might be a good coach in waiting candidate. I'm thinking Vanderbilt would be very happy to hire Clark Lea. All they gotta do is fire Derek Mason first, and that could be accomplished easy enough, in fact I think Derek Mason is about in line to be let go with or without any considerations of hiring a top young candidate like Clark Lea.

So those are my thoughts.

Reactions: raycyrx
Pay him through the BK end, put some unreal bonus in for him for a Natty. Shake his hand when BK leaves. Go get a proven HC. ND should NEVER take a first time HC now matter how much we all love Clark.

I totally don't agree with that at all, I just don't. I mean get the thinking, but I totally disagree. If you feel like Clark Lea or someone like that has the right stuff then you hire him. And just get over it. It doesn't guarantee or promise anything either way. It's a shibboleth!

And Bob Davie is not a good example IMO as a cautionary tale because he was a snake, and a hustler, and that was just a regrettable situation all around. My point is if you think you have another Dabo Swinnery, or another Bob Stoops, you hire the guy. Without question. That's just easy money, and you take that chance.

Especially in the case of someone like Clark Lea, who now has several years at ND under his belt and so he knows the place well. But of course BK's not going anywhere just yet, and so we don't need a new coach, and Clark Lea's not liable to wait that long.

But maybe if Clark Lea is able to get the Vandy job this year and does fairly well for himself we could hire him back in three or four years time When BK finally hangs 'em up. That's the best of both worlds!

The problem is that if he left for say a Vandy job and utterly failed,it might be tough to get another decent coaching job. ADs are tough when it comes to success on the field. SEC would be a tough recruiting haul for him. I feel he can be successful but not at Vandy. I hope he stays a few more years but money makes people think different. Families are to be provided for. That being said,he's one of the best DC s ND has had. Guy knows how to adjust.

The problem is that if he left for say a Vandy job and utterly failed,it might be tough to get another decent coaching job. ADs are tough when it comes to success on the field. SEC would be a tough recruiting haul for him. I feel he can be successful but not at Vandy. I hope he stays a few more years but money makes people think different. Families are to be provided for. That being said,he's one of the best DC s ND has had. Guy knows how to adjust.

That's true, about taking a sort of dead-end job like Vandy. But he is an alum, and while Clark Lea is good, I'm not sure that he's that good that he's turning away his alma mater if they offer him the gig. It is an SEC job after all. He doesn't have to get to the Sugar Bowl, he just has to do well enough and keep his head above water, and I don't think it would be a career-killer.

But it is a tough gig for sure, Vanderbilt. Of all P5 coaching jobs, Vandy has got to seem like the loneliest. It didn't stop James Franklin from going on to bigger and better things. I'm guessing Clark Lea would pounce on the Vandy job if offered.

I think that recruiting misses at CB are coming back to haunt us and our dbs are well coached if not uber-talented. But my love for Lea does not blind me to one first down after another thrown by QB#2, usually for 12 yards after a run stuff. What's the plan for TL?

I think that recruiting misses at CB are coming back to haunt us and our dbs are well coached if not uber-talented. But my love for Lea does not blind me to one first down after another thrown by QB#2, usually for 12 yards after a run stuff. What's the plan for TL?
They have awesome players and DJ is a stud.

Clemson was 4-15 on 3rd down. Watch again.

He has never interviewed for a HC job. So I would expect ND has at least two more seasons before they have to worry about that.

However, he will definitely need a contract rework if ND runs the table.
He interviewed for BC job last year and was the runner up.

Reactions: Zorich 88
That's true, about taking a sort of dead-end job like Vandy. But he is an alum, and while Clark Lea is good, I'm not sure that he's that good that he's turning away his alma mater if they offer him the gig. It is an SEC job after all. He doesn't have to get to the Sugar Bowl, he just has to do well enough and keep his head above water, and I don't think it would be a career-killer.

But it is a tough gig for sure, Vanderbilt. Of all P5 coaching jobs, Vandy has got to seem like the loneliest. It didn't stop James Franklin from going on to bigger and better things. I'm guessing Clark Lea would pounce on the Vandy job if offered.
No one wants to go to an SEC bottom feeder for their first HC job. There is no way to compete with Vandy recruits vs SEC top 5 and you are hoping to win 8 games two years in a row to then get the job you wanted. Experienced coaches may have short term success due to shady recruiting and then quickly get out. Those jobs are revolving door and usually lead first time coaches back to coordinator roles forever. Something like a Pitt or Syracuse would be a better job ... a school that has a following and has in the past fielded top 10 teams. Heck even something like a Cindy would be preferable ... those jobs have been good stepping stones.

Bracy’s form on the deep Td was inexcusable. He literally just stayed in backpedal until he got smoked by. I’ve never seen worse, and why he got yanked. But you bring Lewis in and the plan with him was let them catch it but tackle right away. Except he had many missed tackles gave up a Td and almost cost us the game.

cornerback play and possibly coaching are biggest weakness on team, especially second corner position.

Reactions: hoopsstar12
Bracy’s form on the deep Td was inexcusable. He literally just stayed in backpedal until he got smoked by. I’ve never seen worse, and why he got yanked. But you bring Lewis in and the plan with him was let them catch it but tackle right away. Except he had many missed tackles gave up a Td and almost cost us the game.

cornerback play and possibly coaching are biggest weakness on team, especially second corner position.
Coaching ? How so ? Amazing how someone can write off a young player like Lewis with such a small sample size. Its absurd. Pretty confident that Mickens and Lea know their personnel best.

My thoughts are the following:
1. Schools aren’t lining up to fire coaches this year with the loss of revenue from Covid 19 so it will be interesting to see how many spots are available.
2. Schools are not looking for defensive head coaches as much as they are looking for offensive head coaches.
3. Clark Lea isn’t known for being an excellent recruiter. Not saying he’s poor, but he’s not great.
4. I would pay Lea as much as what we offered Elko before he went to Texas A&M. Over $1 million a year keeps him from being a head coach at a small school.

Coaching ? How so ? Amazing how someone can write off a young player like Lewis with such a small sample size. Its absurd. Pretty confident that Mickens and Lea know their personnel best.
I said possibly coaching in reference to Mickens.......we have a transfer corner in that has played ok, and bracy lewis who have played awful. I'm not writing off lewis because he's not playing good even though he's a frosh, i'm writing him off for the same reason i wrote bracy off as afrosh. THey don't have that much talent. I'm looking more and more correct on bracy, hope to be wrong on Lewis.

Hopefully Mickens is a great coach and he develops some young talent quickly. Lewis seems to know where to be, just can't do anything with it.

My thoughts are the following:
1. Schools aren’t lining up to fire coaches this year with the loss of revenue from Covid 19 so it will be interesting to see how many spots are available.
2. Schools are not looking for defensive head coaches as much as they are looking for offensive head coaches.
3. Clark Lea isn’t known for being an excellent recruiter. Not saying he’s poor, but he’s not great.
4. I would pay Lea as much as what we offered Elko before he went to Texas A&M. Over $1 million a year keeps him from being a head coach at a small school.

I hope you're right, and I would tend to agree with that. Not just that schools are not wanting to do things like making coaching changes, even less so at a place like Vandy, but Lea himself might be inclined to want to sit tight, and just stay at ND where things are riding high, and all he's doing is making himself look better and better with every excellent defensive performance we put it out. And this is not the most auspicious time to start out on your first ever HC job.

So I guess I'm walking back what I said earlier, on account of the massive x-factor of coronavirus. Otherwise, I would think he has made himself into a very legit candidate, and all else being equal which of course it's obviously not at this juncture, Vandy probably would fire Derek Mason, and I'm thinking CL would be on the short list for sure to replace him.

So if we make the playoffs and don't miss a beat the rest of they year, it will be something to watch....

Green Bay should never take a Coach with no head coaching gig prior...they ended up with Matt Lafleur!

One question if Lea leaves is will Elston give an ultimatum of make me the DC or I'm out to. That's a situation that would take some thought.

How about just paying him like a top tier Defensive Coordinator, like LSU, Bama, A&M, Clemson, OSU, pay theirs.

Toss him $1.75 - $2.5 million.

If that would do it, then he's worth it. Our defense frickin' rocks.

I don't know if ND wants to go down that road or not, but that's one thing we can do in the football arms race. Afford to pay for good coaches.

One question if Lea leaves is will Elston give an ultimatum of make me the DC or I'm out to. That's a situation that would take some thought.
Honestly I hope not. I have never heard a bad thing about Elston so this is not a slight, but DLine coaches do not typically become DC’s.

ADVERTISEMENT