ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea went from Buddy Ryan to Meg Ryan in a Half?

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
According to some of the cranks, Clark Lea was the only reason ND was having any success, he was basically keeping Brian Kelly & Chip Long afloat. Of course Brian Kelly was "forced" to hire Mike Elko and basically inherited Clark Lea, so he obviously gets no credit there. And Chip Long is just a terrible coach. Who cares what Nick Saban thinks?

But low and behold the ND defense has some struggles in the 2nd half against one the best Wide Receiver Corp in the nation. And all of sudden Clark Lea is persona non-grata. Some of the comments from "The Cranks were

"Bob Diaco Junior"
"Prevent defense prevents you from winning" *although ND won the game*
"Stupid 3 man line"
"Safeties covering the locker room" etc etc.

How come no mention of the ND Special Teams? Perfect on PATs FGs Onside Kick Recovery and the Michael Young Kick Return was perfectly blocked. He just forgot the ball. lol!

How come no mention of the ND Offense? Ian Book another turnover free game. Using his legs and arm to lead the game securing drive? How about 300 plus yards on the ground? I thought the cranks told us Jeff Quinn and Tony Jones were bums?

If really escapes me why so many on this board are obsessed with hating on this football coach, staff and program. Look at the condition of the program Brian Kelly took over 10 years ago. It was a TRAIN WRECK. Quit bitching about wins.

Nov 7, 2009 Sat (19) Notre Dame Navy Ind L 21 23 6 3 L 1
Nov 14, 2009 Sat Notre Dame @ (8) Pitt Big East L 22 27 6 4 L 2
Nov 21, 2009 Sat Notre Dame Connecticut Big East L 30 33 6 5 L 3
Nov 28, 2009 Sat Notre Dame @ Stanford Pac-10 L 38 45 6 6 L 4

According to some of the cranks, Clark Lea was the only reason ND was having any success, he was basically keeping Brian Kelly & Chip Long afloat. Of course Brian Kelly was "forced" to hire Mike Elko and basically inherited Clark Lea, so he obviously gets no credit there. And Chip Long is just a terrible coach. Who cares what Nick Saban thinks?

But low and behold the ND defense has some struggles in the 2nd half against one the best Wide Receiver Corp in the nation. And all of sudden Clark Lea is persona non-grata. Some of the comments from "The Cranks were

"Bob Diaco Junior"
"Stupid 3 man line"

How come no mention of the ND Special Teams? Perfect on PATs FGs Onside Kick Recovery and the Michael Young Kick Return was perfectly blocked. He just forgot the ball. lol!

How come no mention of the ND Offense? Ian Book another turnover free game. Using his legs and arm to lead the game securing drive? How about 300 plus yards on the ground? I thought the cranks told us Jeff Quinn and Tony Jones were bums?

If really escapes me why so many on this board are obsessed with hating on this football coach, staff and program. Look at the condition of the program Brian Kelly took over 10 years ago. It was a TRAIN WRECK. Quit bitching about wins.

What escapes me is that nobody apparently is obsessed more with the above incorrect assessment than you. Nobody posts on this subject more than you. Is it smart to think that 1 half of football trumps what Elko/Lea have done the previous 3 years solid? Nobody is bitching more than you and your argument is trash.

"Bob Diaco Junior"
"Stupid 3 man line"

Agree all the way.

"Bob Diaco Junior"
"Stupid 3 man line"

"It really escapes me why so many on this board are obsessed with hating on this football coach, staff and program."

Don't you know by now -- they know way more than the coaching staff!

What escapes me is that nobody apparently is obsessed more with the above incorrect assessment than you. Nobody posts on this subject more than you. Is it smart to think that 1 half of football trumps what Elko/Lea have done the previous 3 years solid? Nobody is bitching more than you and your argument is trash.

No genius, it is actually stupid to think one half of football trumps anything. But none the less that doesn't stop you and your collection of keystone cranks to come on here during and just after a game and spew your unique brand of incoherent stupidity.

Although I cannot think of two better words to describe your useless drivel posts about ND Football & Basketball than "Inaccurate Assessments". You should really 86 Buguit and go with that handle.

Lea's been a great DC. Kelly, as the head coach, was ultimately responsible, along with Lea, for the 3-man rush strategy. Hopefully they'll put that strategy away and not bring it back again this year.

Reactions: theskibro
No genius, it is actually stupid to think one half of football trumps anything. But none the less that doesn't stop you and your collection of keystone cranks to come on here during and just after a game and spew your unique brand of incoherent stupidity.

Although I cannot think of two better words to describe your useless drivel posts about ND Football & Basketball than "Inaccurate Assessments". You should really 86 Buguit and go with that handle.

You just called yourself stupid …. finally I agree :)

Lea's been a great DC. Kelly, as the head coach, was ultimately responsible, along with Lea, for the 3-man rush strategy. Hopefully they'll put that strategy away and not bring it back again this year.

This! It is Kelly’s responsibility. He knew the second half plan and almost lost a 20 point lead by calling off the rush as he always does

I think SC started to run more and Lea liked that bet. SC ran well and punctuated with big chunk passes in the second half. They have good athletes. We have a better team. Bend don't break is hell to watch when the opponent breaks you for 24 points in the second half.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Initial post is totally oh-so wrong. But it does have the best heading of the year. LOL.

This! It is Kelly’s responsibility. He knew the second half plan and almost lost a 20 point lead by calling off the rush as he always does

LOL

Not even close to true. Like always.

You must be so butthurt right now?

Kelly is about to sign another extension.

ND is going to do something they haven’t done in 30 years, under tougher restrictions, & BK is seen universally as a great coach.

Sniffle, sniffle.

Reactions: IrishMike409
LOL

Not even close to true. Like always.

You must be so butthurt right now?

Kelly is about to sign another extension.

ND is going to do something they haven’t done in 30 years, under tougher restrictions, & BK is seen universally as a great coach.

Sniffle, sniffle.
The plan was fine, could have been a bit better with more pressures but the players did not play well. MTA had Stepp dead in his tracks twice and completely whiffed both times right when he was getting the ball. One would have created a 4th and a few instead of a first down, the other was a goal line that would have created 3rd and goal from the 3 or 4 instead of a TD.

Gillman tackled awful and was way late and poor angle over middle against brown. Also the offense laid an egg for 20 minutes in the 2nd half. They didn't help either.

If young doesn't randomly fumble the kickoff and we go up 24-3..... interesting how that would have turned out.

Point is, ND won, even with both sides of the ball playing bad second half except for last drive on O.

I truly believe Crawford's injury played a big part in the scheme.

Nice to get a win vs. the best receivers we'll face this year when our best cover guy is down.... So, I'll take it!!!

The plan was fine, could have been a bit better with more pressures but the players did not play well. MTA had Stepp dead in his tracks twice and completely whiffed both times right when he was getting the ball. One would have created a 4th and a few instead of a first down, the other was a goal line that would have created 3rd and goal from the 3 or 4 instead of a TD.

Gillman tackled awful and was way late and poor angle over middle against brown. Also the offense laid an egg for 20 minutes in the 2nd half. They didn't help either.

If young doesn't randomly fumble the kickoff and we go up 24-3..... interesting how that would have turned out.

Point is, ND won, even with both sides of the ball playing bad second half except for last drive on O.

Why go to a 3-man rush at all? Our pass rush is probably the biggest strength of our defense. So you're neutering it by going to a 3-man rush. If you give a good QB like Slovis all day to throw, especially with the talented receivers he has, he'll find somebody eventually. And that's what he did in the 2nd half. You have to get pressure on the QB, against a good QB.

ADVERTISEMENT