ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea and Vanderbilt

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
Saw on CBS Sports that Vanderbilt might be a job Lea would take. I sure hope not. I believe Lea played at Vanderbilt??

Yeah, we're all talking about it in a different thread. As much as it pains me to say it, he could be gone, and quick! Heck they might have fired Mason just in order to be able to offer Clark Lea. And get a head start on it before anyone else might swoop in.

I know we're gunning for a playoff spot, but if I had to guess - just a guess - he's the first guy they call, and he probably takes it. I hope I'm wrong.....

Yeah, we're all talking about it in a different thread. As much as it pains me to say it, he could be gone, and quick! Heck they might have fired Mason just in order to be able to offer Clark Lea. And get a head start on it before anyone else might swoop in.

I know we're gunning for a playoff spot, but if I had to guess - just a guess - he's the first guy they call, and he probably takes it. I hope I'm wrong.....
Lots of quality candidates out there . Lea is just one of them.

Reactions: Kelso86

You're wrong.

After reading the article in the link below, I hope Kelly and Swarbrick met with Lea on Sunday to discuss long term and what it would take ($$$) to keep him.

The last person anyone should take football related advice from is the author of that piece. Might as well have written that the sun rises in the East...

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDSMC78
It's a 4 million dollar a year 5 year gig . You can't compete with that . It just isn't doable.

On the Vandy side of things they took a DC from a high end academic university in Derek Mason and it hasn't gone well.

I'm sure Coach Lea is a candidate they want to contact but if I'm the Vandy Search Committee I'm going Offense.

Reactions: dcwflyca
Clark Lea leaving will not be the end of the world just like Mike Elko leaving or Harry Heistand leaving did not stop the IRISH runaway locomotive !! Coach Kelly will just get a new GREAT defensive mind !! Just like Nick Saban constantly replaces assistant coaches with no issues !!
And why would anyone want to coach at Vandy---They are a CoEd football team--they don't care about winning !

It's a 4 million dollar a year 5 year gig . You can't compete with that . It just isn't doable.

On the Vandy side of things they took a DC from a high end academic university in Derek Mason and it hasn't gone well.

I'm sure Coach Lea is a candidate they want to contact but if I'm the Vandy Search Committee I'm going Offense.

This right here is my biggest hope. I went to a Vandy board to see what they were saying, and most were unenthused about Lea because they already tried the DC route. I hope their AD feels the same way.

Reactions: Classic Irish
ND should give him $1.5 - $2 million, and hope he stays.

I like Clark a lot but if he leaves for Vandy, it’s a bad move. I’m saying this with out bias too. I want him to stay but if he leaves it should be to a job with a higher ceiling for achievement. Vandy is a cellar dweller and has been my entire 40 years minus a hiccup of 8 wins here or there.

Success would be winning 6 games, and after 3-4 seasons of 500 or lower ball, they’ll can him and he’ll go back to being a DC somewhere.

I get money but I also think money alone is foolish. Say ND offers him $1.75 million and Vandy gives him $2.25 million, that’s $500K more. We act like these guys are living on ramen and generic coke. He’ll make a lot of money in career and more in one year then most make in a lifetime.

All these ND assistants that had some success and ran off for jobs at Miami (OH), UCONN, etc. inherited dumpster fires, and never turned it around only to be canned and sent back to anonymity.

Don’t be foolish Clark, stay at ND or take a job at a worthy university with potential for success.

Gonna take a $2.5 million contract. I would say he finds a head coaching job in 22'. Say Fickell is offered a bigger university job, UC would be a great getting your toes wet job until BK retires.

So would Iowa State if Campbell gets a big time job like Michigan.

Don't know if there is anything to it, but Dennis Dodd suggests that Campbell would only leave Iowa St. for ND or OSU.

There are further rumblings that Campbell would only consider Ohio State or Notre Dame. That brings it back around full circle. If you haven't noticed, Texas isn't Ohio State or Notre Dame.

I like Clark a lot but if he leaves for Vandy, it’s a bad move. I’m saying this with out bias too. I want him to stay but if he leaves it should be to a job with a higher ceiling for achievement. Vandy is a cellar dweller and has been my entire 40 years minus a hiccup of 8 wins here or there.

Success would be winning 6 games, and after 3-4 seasons of 500 or lower ball, they’ll can him and he’ll go back to being a DC somewhere.

I get money but I also think money alone is foolish. Say ND offers him $1.75 million and Vandy gives him $2.25 million, that’s $500K more. We act like these guys are living on ramen and generic coke. He’ll make a lot of money in career and more in one year then most make in a lifetime.

All these ND assistants that had some success and ran off for jobs at Miami (OH), UCONN, etc. inherited dumpster fires, and never turned it around only to be canned and sent back to anonymity.

Don’t be foolish Clark, stay at ND or take a job at a worthy university with potential for success.
First of all, it a huge pay increase and financial security for his family--forever! If he has minimal success and generate 5-6 wins a year and a possible Bowl bid he would be seen as a great coach and he would also have the highly valued HC experience many institutions want before they hire a guy--for example, Notre Dame! I'm a huge ND fan as a big fan of Coach Lea however this is something he needs to leverage with Notre Dame for somethings he may have on a wish list, like larger salary, bigger bonus or even title change and potential HC in waiting.

First of all, it a huge pay increase and financial security for his family--forever! If he has minimal success and generate 5-6 wins a year and a possible Bowl bid he would be seen as a great coach and he would also have the highly valued HC experience many institutions want before they hire a guy--for example, Notre Dame! I'm a huge ND fan as a big fan of Coach Lea however this is something he needs to leverage with Notre Dame for somethings he may have on a wish list, like larger salary, bigger bonus or even title change and potential HC in waiting.
The coach they just fired, Mason, took Vandy to bowl games in ‘16 and ‘18 and he still got fired. I highly doubt their administration is fine with 5 or 6 wins a year. Many AD’s are delusional.

Last edited:
Reactions: iwish

What are you talking about??????????

Indeed, Chuck Martin took over a dumpster fire in 2014 at Miami of Ohio. But how can you say he never turned it around? He won the 2019 MAC Championship and has been bowl eligible three times after inheriting a team that lost 18 games in a row.

He’s done a helluva job there.

Reactions: iwish and Bumpdaddy
The coach they just fired, Mason, took Vandy to back-to-back bowl games recently and he still got fired. I highly doubt their administration is fine with 5 or 6 wins a year. Many AD’s are delusional.
Let's be clear why he got fired. Its not the bowl games from his early tenure it's his 3-17 performance in the last two years and two of the three wins are against non power football programs. Then there is the 0-8 record this year! That's the real reason Mason got fired, downward trends. You can try and spin it how you want but if you win 6 games a year at Vandy many ADs across the country will see you as being successful, especially if you are building upwards towards 6-7 wins. When you reverse the curve, you get fired!

What are you talking about??????????

Indeed, Chuck Martin took over a dumpster fire in 2014 at Miami of Ohio. But how can you say he never turned it around? He won the 2019 MAC Championship and has been bowl eligible three times after inheriting a team that lost 18 games in a row.

He’s done a helluva job there.

LMAO...

Chuck has had ONE WINNING SEASON out of SIX. His record at Miami (OH) is a stellar 32-46. If that’s what we consider a helluva a job then it’s no wonder every kid gets a 1st place trophy now.

ADVERTISEMENT