ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Weis Jr’s Offense

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
Surely, Charlie Jr’s offense won’t present many challenges to our defense. Has anyone seen what they run??

I don't know exactly why you would say that. I don't know much about Charlie jr, other than he never played CFB, he never played HS football, he never play organized football ever I don't believe. He's like Mozart or something, or the bubble boy. Something. Not exactly a textbook child prodigy per se, but some kind of prodigy. As in there would be no reason for anyone to want to hire him, unless really he was some sort of superhuman strategizing genius, trained pretty much from birth and that indubitably he is something special. I realize nepotism is a thing in football, but not like this. No one's doing Charlie Weis a favor by hiring his son, it must be because Weis Sr managed to tutor his son to become some sort of outright coaching genius.

The whole thing is kind of weird, maybe a little unsettling, but whatever, clearly he must have the game-planning/tactical chops that the coaches who hire him are willing to overlook his total lack of traditional resume that you would typically want out of a top-level assistant coach. I mean he almost looks like an awkward teenager out there right now as the OC for a D-1 program.

And if anyone has any hangups about whether Weis sr really is a coaching genius himself.... hopefully this settles any of those doubts. Haters gonna hate of course, and believe what they want to believe. But come on, his own story was incredible enough. His son's is almost triple that. Weis Sr is such a genius himself that he can turn his son, by dint of his tutelage alone, into an even greater genius, following a path of almost pure intellect, and no actual playing experience at all. The whole thing is quite remarkable. He's come a long way from being heckled as a kid while Weis was leading ND to its worst season in our history. Talk about having the last laugh, holy shit.

What does that mean for this Saturday? No clue. He can't turn water into wine, though, so I like our chances. I did watch extended highlights a while back of the FAU bowl game, and their offense looked pretty good. I'm pretty sure they rolled whoever they played and put up big numbers.

I'm going to link the extended highlight from FAU's 2019 bowl game vs SMU. You hotshots make of it what you will in terms of what kind of brilliant young OC Weis Jr represents or not.

Surely, Charlie Jr’s offense won’t present many challenges to our defense. Has anyone seen what they run??

Charlie Jr's current offensive philosophy has mostly been influenced by Lane Kiffin. Lane Kiffin's current offensive philosophy has mostly been influenced by his brief stint at Alabama where he had to learn to blend his pro-style scheme with a spread scheme, and by Kendal Briles who was his first OC at FAU before moving on to FSU. So Kiffin, and therefore, Charlie Jr's offensive philosophy is a blend of Kiffin's Alabama offensive scheme and Kendal Briles offensive scheme.

What that means is, USF will try to run an ultra-uptempo, spread offense that aims to be balanced in the run and passing games. UCF is probably the better-known example of the type of offense they would like to have.

Actually he played one year of high school football, his senior year in Kansas City and was a wide receiver.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Charlie Jr's current offensive philosophy has mostly been influenced by Lane Kiffin. Lane Kiffin's current offensive philosophy has mostly been influenced by his brief stint at Alabama where he had to learn to blend his pro-style scheme with a spread scheme, and by Kendal Briles who was his first OC at FAU before moving on to FSU. So Kiffin, and therefore, Charlie Jr's offensive philosophy is a blend of Kiffin's Alabama offensive scheme and Kendal Briles offensive scheme.

What that means is, USF will try to run an ultra-uptempo, spread offense that aims to be balanced in the run and passing games. UCF is probably the better-known example of the type of offense they would like to have.

So do you think this could be a tough win? And our defense will be taxed to the utmost? I truly hate Lane Kiffin and would think of him as the opposite of Weis Jr. There's your regular old nepotism right there. But I assume he knows his Xs and Os well enough, even if he seems like an otherwise almost infantile figure as a HC. He certainly was in the past.

FAU's 2019 bowl game offense was fairly prolific. I think we could have our hands full. Plus they have some hotshot Dabo Swinney disciple as their new HC.

Actually he played one year of high school football, his senior year in Kansas City and was a wide receiver.

He did? I guess I could have googled that. And that was probably a smart move. If he had actually never played at all, not one down of football.... maybe that could have held him back in terms of his career, no matter how much a genius he might be.

It probably made effectively no difference in terms of his coaching acumen. But it can't hurt to at least taste what it feels like from a player's perspective.

For a 27 year old kid he sure has an impressive resume. Florida, Kansas, Alabama, Atlanta Falcons, FAU now USF. Sabin, Kiffin even interned with theNew England Pats.
I still can not stand his father who really damaged the ND program.

He did? I guess I could have googled that. And that was probably a smart move. If he had actually never played at all, not one down of football.... maybe that could have held him back in terms of his career, no matter how much a genius he might be.

It probably made effectively no difference in terms of his coaching acumen. But it can't hurt to at least taste what it feels like from a player's perspective.
Not sure of how much he played, but he was on the team. Even got himself is pretty good shape, dropped something like 60 pounds to play WR which IMO is impressive for a high school kid. Seeing pictures of him now he looks really good.

Reactions: IrishMike409
And I said Kansas City, but I think it was where ever the University of Kansas is, Lawrence KS. Saint Pius X where ever that is.

And I said Kansas City, but I think it was where ever the University of Kansas is, Lawrence KS. Saint Pius X where ever that is.

I googled it, it's in KC. I believe it was when Weis was with the Chiefs for one season. And then he moved on to UF I think it was. And that's where it all started I believe.

I will admit the whole thing is a little intense. This is definitely some Todd Marinovich or indeed Mozart level type mentoring going on here. As in I'm guessing Weis took the job at UF deliberately so as to open the door to start his son's career, after spending presumably thousands of hours tutoring him as a child to get to that point. That's fairly heavy duty stuff as far as planning out your child's future. But it appears Charlie Jr was totally down with it, and has absolutely made good on it. Probably beyond what most people would have guessed was likely or possible.

So more power to the Weises. It's a pretty incredible story in any case.

In the article I read about Charlie Jr his parents discouraged him from going into coaching but Jr was so intent on going into coaching nothing was going to stop him. His dad obviously was the biggest reason he want to go into the profession.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Junior took some abuse from posters here when his dad was the HC. Especially the fact that Junior was on the Irish sideline. A young teenager getting shade from a few keyboard warriors all those many years ago. I wish him luck. Many assistants have had extensive playing careers which never translated to a successful coaching career. I don't believe Steven Spielberg has ever acted and he's done alright telling others what to do and how to do it on a movie set. Consider him the OC of "Jaws" or "Raiders".

Junior took some abuse from posters here when his dad was the HC. Especially the fact that Junior was on the Irish sideline. A young teenager getting shade from a few keyboard warriors all those many years ago. I wish him luck. Many assistants have had extensive playing careers which never translated to a successful coaching career. I don't believe Steven Spielberg has ever acted and he's done alright telling others what to do and how to do it on a movie set. Consider him the OC of "Jaws" or "Raiders".

...or maybe the Allan Bradfield of college football. ;)

Yes, I remember reading the grousing of some posters about Charlie Jr. being on the sidelines and thought it silly. I can remember Steve Alford sitting on the bench with his dad's team, the young twin sons of former Lincoln football Coach Mike Hidde being waterboys on the sidelines during the season, and pretty sure Will Wyman former Evansville Harrison basketball coach spent time as a kid sitting on the bench before playing for his late father and Indiana High School Hall of Fame coach, GunnerWyman.

Reactions: Pennick4
a certain idiot here seems to think that you have to have played football to coach it. Kind of stupid but then the poster is fairly dense.

Many fine coaches in many sports never played the game but a doofus here seems to think that is impossible.

Outside of being able to break down film and understanding all 3 phases of football, I think the 2 most important things to being a coach weather it's football, basketball or whatever is you have to be a teacher and be able to communicate.

Reactions: irishalice
a certain idiot here seems to think that you have to have played football to coach it. Kind of stupid but then the poster is fairly dense.

Many fine coaches in many sports never played the game but a doofus here seems to think that is impossible.

LOL! You're talking about me, ain't ya! I"m a big old doofuis!

In any case, what are babbling about? Trying to invent some reason to get all morally indignant over, are you? Yeah, well.... you're failing miserably. And I guess now we're to believe it's a deep conviction of yours that coaches need not have played their sport in order to be good coaches, because it's a free country I guess. Okay, creeper, I have no opinion on whether or not coaches need to have played their sport that they're going to be a coach in. I just know it's exceedingly rare. It is way, way, way not the norm, for every sport under the sun pretty much. That's why I mentioned it, it's the thing that makes Weis Jr's story so remarkable. Pretty straightforward observation. But you had to be a crank and have a little tantrum over it. 10 to 1 you would totally contradict yourself in some other instance when it suits you to declare that coaches actually need as much experience as they can get, and blah blah blah or whatever hobbyhorse you're on in the moment. You'll just make it up as go, that's what you guys do.

In any point, there's no point in talking to you. I don't think you're capable of having a regular conversation.

LOL! You're talking about me, ain't ya! I"m a big old doofuis!

In any case, what are babbling about? Trying to invent some reason to get all morally indignant over, are you? Yeah, well.... you're failing miserably. And I guess now we're to believe it's a deep conviction of yours that coaches need not have played their sport in order to be good coaches, because it's a free country I guess. Okay, creeper, I have no opinion on whether or not coaches need to have played their sport that they're going to be a coach in. I just know it's exceedingly rare. It is way, way, way not the norm, for every sport under the sun pretty much. That's why I mentioned it, it's the thing that makes Weis Jr's story so remarkable. Pretty straightforward observation. But you had to be a crank and have a little tantrum over it. 10 to 1 you would totally contradict yourself in some other instance when it suits you to declare that coaches actually need as much experience as they can get, and blah blah blah or whatever hobbyhorse you're on in the moment. You'll just make it up as go, that's what you guys do.

In any point, there's no point in talking to you. I don't think you're capable of having a regular conversation.
wow the number of lies you just driveled was impressive.

You DID claim that having to play was really important. Your claims otherwise have very little support. Anyone that wishes to can find a lot of examples of fine coaches that never played. And many only played a little in High School. Which is hard to claim is so vital. Rather stupid on your part to say otherwise. Exceedingly rare is of course another example of your idiotic lies. Something so easy to check and disprove is really dumb to say.

The only morally (not that you seem to have any idea what THAT means) indignant idiot around here is YOU.

I can see that you are a very small person in all ways that matter; the type of pimply faced 14 year old hiding in his parents basement making himself look big on the internet.

I usually do not take the time to splatter little POS's like you but I was bored.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
wow the number of lies you just driveled was impressive.

You DID claim that having to play was really important. Your claims otherwise have very little support. Anyone that wishes to can find a lot of examples of fine coaches that never played. And many only played a little in High School. Which is hard to claim is so vital. Rather stupid on your part to say otherwise. Exceedingly rare is of course another example of your idiotic lies. Something so easy to check and disprove is really dumb to say.

The only morally (not that you seem to have any idea what THAT means) indignant idiot around here is YOU.

I can see that you are a very small person in all ways that matter; the type of pimply faced 14 year old hiding in his parents basement making himself look big on the internet.

I usually do not take the time to splatter little POS's like you but I was bored.

What? So you're still arguing about Charlie Weis Jr? And I'm wrong and you have me all figured out and I'm the total loser and you're a great American? Does that about sum it up? Yeah....

Okay, well, I could keep humiliating you pretty much at will and at my pleasure. But it won't end well if I do that, as you'll eventually go psychotic, that's a given. And it would maybe constitute cruelty to animals on my part. Ha ha, see what I did there? Even though I'm the sewer rat. So I'm going to let you win for the good of, whatever, of the community at large.

Serious question, at what point would you get all psycho if I kept humiliating you? You are clearly that kind of guy and it would only be a question of when not if. You obviously have no self-respect in the traditional sense, but that's par for the course for MAGA chuds. I suppose as long as in your diseased brains you can declare yourself the winner in any confrontation, then you're satisfied. It's how you guys make it through the day, pretty much.

What? So you're still arguing about Charlie Weis Jr? And I'm wrong and you have me all figured out and I'm the total loser and you're a great American? Does that about sum it up? Yeah....

Okay, well, I could keep humiliating you pretty much at will and at my pleasure. But it won't end well if I do that, as you'll eventually go psychotic, that's a given. And it would maybe constitute cruelty to animals on my part. Ha ha, see what I did there? Even though I'm the sewer rat. So I'm going to let you win for the good of, whatever, of the community at large.

Serious question, at what point would you get all psycho if I kept humiliating you? You are clearly that kind of guy and it would only be a question of when not if. You obviously have no self-respect in the traditional sense, but that's par for the course for MAGA chuds. I suppose as long as in your diseased brains you can declare yourself the winner in any confrontation, then you're satisfied. It's how you guys make it through the day, pretty much.
You are rather delusional. The only person you are humiliating is yourself. Notice no one is stepping up to in any way support your delusions.

I notice you have thousands of messages here. Pretty sad life is this is all you have.

Reactions: IrishMike409
You are rather delusional. The only person you are humiliating is yourself. Notice no one is stepping up to in any way support your delusions.

I notice you have thousands of messages here. Pretty sad life is this is all you have.

Good, I'm glad you feel that way. Anything to get you the F away from me, you MAGA creeper. You were able to process this latest altercation in your warped soul like you're the bigger man, and I'm the douchebag and the pathetic loser, blah blah blah. So we got that out of the way. And now what you gotta do, is walk away for good, at least when it comes to me. It's possible you'll run into other beta-male/liberal types like myself who maybe mouth off a little more than you're comfortable with, but you gotta walk away from them too.

I'm trying to coach you through this, and you're almost at the finish line. So you think you can handle that? Keep your spurs from jingling and jangling? Haha! That's a line from Pulp Fiction.

If CWJR was really a prodigy then Kiffin would have brought him to Ole Miss.

Yeah, but you gotta admit what he's done is at least... unprecedented. I'm sorry, I feel like 'prodigy' is an appropriate choice of words in this case. As far as Ole Miss is concerned, maybe you're right. Or maybe a little bitch like Lane Kiffin felt threatened, and now that Kiffin is improbably making his way back to the top tiers of the sport, he doesn't want someone like Charlie Jr stealing any of his thunder.

But this ex-Clemson assistant is presumably not hampered by any of those insecurities/immaturities, and like Dabo he's all about getting the best possible assistants he can because that's how you win. I take that as a vote of confidence in Weis Jr, and not anything a true douchebag like Lane Kiffin would ever do.

I don't know exactly why you would say that. I don't know much about Charlie jr, other than he never played CFB, he never played HS football, he never play organized football ever I don't believe. He's like Mozart or something, or the bubble boy. Something. Not exactly a textbook child prodigy per se, but some kind of prodigy. As in there would be no reason for anyone to want to hire him, unless really he was some sort of superhuman strategizing genius, trained pretty much from birth and that indubitably he is something special. I realize nepotism is a thing in football, but not like this. No one's doing Charlie Weis a favor by hiring his son, it must be because Weis Sr managed to tutor his son to become some sort of outright coaching genius.

The whole thing is kind of weird, maybe a little unsettling, but whatever, clearly he must have the game-planning/tactical chops that the coaches who hire him are willing to overlook his total lack of traditional resume that you would typically want out of a top-level assistant coach. I mean he almost looks like an awkward teenager out there right now as the OC for a D-1 program.

And if anyone has any hangups about whether Weis sr really is a coaching genius himself.... hopefully this settles any of those doubts. Haters gonna hate of course, and believe what they want to believe. But come on, his own story was incredible enough. His son's is almost triple that. Weis Sr is such a genius himself that he can turn his son, by dint of his tutelage alone, into an even greater genius, following a path of almost pure intellect, and no actual playing experience at all. The whole thing is quite remarkable. He's come a long way from being heckled as a kid while Weis was leading ND to its worst season in our history. Talk about having the last laugh, holy shit.

What does that mean for this Saturday? No clue. He can't turn water into wine, though, so I like our chances. I did watch extended highlights a while back of the FAU bowl game, and their offense looked pretty good. I'm pretty sure they rolled whoever they played and put up big numbers.
Charlie w jr did play one season of football. He felt it essential to do so. I am not sure but maybe it was at Kansas City

No, it was probably Kansas City, because Charlie Weis went to the Chiefs for one year right after ND.

He wouldn't have had a total face plant on Saturday.
You can only coach the players given to you. Besides, the Irish "D" appears to be really good....and....we have one of the top DCs in the nation on top of it all. It would have been an uphill struggle for many offenses facing this Irish "D". That's just my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

You’re wrong. He played some ball in high school.

You’re wrong. He played some ball in high school.

I guess he played his sr year. I just read that, at the urging of Gale Sayers, according to the article. He was already functioning as an apprentice coach in training as a HS underclassmen in South Bend before that.

It appeared to be a lot of slow developing plays with run-pass option sweeps. USF was just too slow to allow the defense that much time to get in the backfield.

I guess he played his sr year. I just read that, at the urging of Gale Sayers, according to the article. He was already functioning as an apprentice coach in training as a HS underclassmen in South Bend before that.
Speaking of the great Gale Sayers, the “Kansas Comet” passed away today at the age of 77. RIP

For a 27 year old kid he sure has an impressive resume. Florida, Kansas, Alabama, Atlanta Falcons, FAU now USF. Sabin, Kiffin even interned with theNew England Pats.
I still can not stand his father who really damaged the ND program.
I think it was the athletic director who hired him With of course the university president's assent. It may have been Kevin White if my memory is correct. Giving him that contract extension after the first year was garbage. He didn't recruit real well, on defense that is, and in general left head coaching experience at the college level. I believe it was Ara who said he needed all the head coaching experience he got before taking the ND job. I don't really know if Charlie Weis senior damage the Notre Dame program, Hiring Tyrone wasn't too smart either, nor was hiring Faust or Davie. the problem is, not every head football coach wants to go to Notre Dame because of the recruiting limitations, the academic qualifications, And the fact that Notre Dame runs a fairly Clean Program.

Speaking of the great Gale Sayers, the “Kansas Comet” passed away today at the age of 77. RIP

Yeah, I know that. I'm aware that Gale Sayers, one of the great players and names of the early NFL, and apparently a friend of the Weis family, has died. I recently watched a little youtube video on him and Dick Butkus. It was good.

ADVERTISEMENT