ADVERTISEMENT

Charles White nightmares

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Sad to read that Charles White has passed away. Those of us old enough to remember, will forever have nightmares from his performance against the Irish in South Bend in 1979. He thrashed ND for 261 yards rushing and four tds, nearly all in the second half. One of our biggest melt downs at home ever, and one of the best performances I’ve seen by a running back. Rest in peace Charles White.

Sad to read that Charles White has passed away. Those of us old enough to remember, will forever have nightmares from his performance against the Irish in South Bend in 1979. He thrashed ND for 261 yards rushing and four tds, nearly all in the second half. One of our biggest melt downs at home ever, and one of the best performances I’ve seen by a running back. Rest in peace Charles White.

For some reason I don't have a distinct memory of that game, probably because I was out at sea during my stint with the Navy and we didn't always get scores in a timely fashion.

While that game sounds bad, my first away game while attending ND was the 1974 Anthony Davis 6 TD game in the LA Coliseum. Now, that was a true nightmare. USC scored 55 points against ND in barely more than a quarter. It was brutal. I still have nightmares of the USC mascot horse charging down the track after every USC score, with the USC band blasting out "Fight On." If I had a 30-06 handy, I might have taken Traveler out.

Remember vividly...him and Anthony Davis. Brutal memories!

For some reason I don't have a distinct memory of that game, probably because I was out at sea during my stint with the Navy and we didn't always get scores in a timely fashion.

While that game sounds bad, my first away game while attending ND was the 1974 Anthony Davis 6 TD game in the LA Coliseum. Now, that was a true nightmare. USC scored 55 points against ND in barely more than a quarter. It was brutal. I still have nightmares of the USC mascot horse charging down the track after every USC score, with the USC band blasting out "Fight On." If I had a 30-06 handy, I might have taken Traveler out.
Actually, Davis scored six TDs in the 1972 game, not the 1974 game, although in '74, he returned the opening kick in the second half for a TD and I think he scored USC's first TD in the closing seconds of the first half.

I'd argue that wasn't a meltdown per se. USC scored TDs and we kicked field goals. I'm pretty certain the total offense by both sides was a record for ND Stadium, well over 1,000 yards combined. I remember it being an entertaining game to watch, but what was typical of most of the ND-USC games back then was their team was faster than ours.

Last edited:
Actually, Davis scored six TDs in the 1972 game, not the 1974 game, although in '74, he returned the opening kick in the second half for a TD and I think he scored USC's first TD in the closing seconds of the first half.

You are right, my bad. The 1972 game was my freshman year, not the 1974 game. I remember some dorm buddies wanted to go out to LA for the 1974 game, but I was still feeling traumatized from the previous experience and declined to make the trip with them.

You are right, my bad. The 1972 game was my freshman year, not the 1974 game. I remember some dorm buddies wanted to go out to LA for the 1974 game, but I was still feeling traumatized from the previous experience and declined to make the trip with them.
Wise choice.

Wise choice.

Indeed.

I also saw the 1976 ND/USC game in the Coliseum. By that time I was stationed in San Diego with the US Navy. I drove up to LA to see the game with some shipmates (a couple of ND grads and 3 or 4 Naval Academy graduates). ND lost in a rather lackluster game, as I recall it. What I remember most about that game is that 2 or 3 of the Naval Academy guys I was with got into a fight with some USC fans (all of it fueled by too much beer). When I asked them why in the world they got into a scrum with some SC fans, they told me the only school they hated worse than ND was USC, and so they felt obligated to stand up for the Irish. I always respected those guys for that!

Last edited:
they told me the only school they hated worse than ND was USC, and so they felt obligated to stand up for the Irish. I always respected those guys for that!

It has always struck me how so many ND alums and fans loathe Michigan more than Southern Cal. Southern Cal has ruined far more ND seasons than Michigan. Hell, I went through four years at ND and, by the time I graduated, we hadn't played Michigan in my lifetime. In my view, Southern Cal is by far our biggest rival.

It has always struck me how so many ND alums and fans loathe Michigan more than Southern Cal. Southern Cal has ruined far more ND seasons than Michigan. Hell, I went through four years at ND and, by the time I graduated, we hadn't played Michigan in my lifetime. In my view, Southern Cal is by far our biggest rival.

I am in full agreement with you on that.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Indeed.

I also saw the 1976 ND/USC game in the Coliseum. By that time I was stationed in San Diego with the US Navy. I drove up to LA to see the game with some shipmates (a couple of ND grads and 3 or 4 Naval Academy graduates). ND lost in a rather lackluster game, as I recall it. What I remember most about that game is that 2 or 3 of the Naval Academy guys I was with got into a fight with some USC fans (all of it fueled by too much beer). When I asked them why in the world they got into a scrum with some SC fans, they told me the only school they hated worse than ND was USC, and so they felt obligated to stand up for the Irish. I always respected those guys for that!
In '76, USC won. 17-13. The deciding score came when a USC receiver ran a simple out route and the ND defender slipped and the play turned into about a 70-yard TD.

You're conflating two games. Davis scored the 6 TD's in the 72 game, not the 74 game. In 74, he ONLY SCORED FOUR.

Also, I believe he had two kickoff return TD's in the 72 game, but the one he had in 74 is what IGNITED USC'S SECOND HALF COMEBACK as that runback opened the third quarter. But he'd also scored a TD on a SWING PASS with ten seconds left in the half to make the score 24-12 after ND had bolted to a 24-0 LEAD.

Davis had one of the longest strides I've ever seen, matched only, in my estimation, by UM's, Anthony Carter.

I subsequently posted essentially the same thing, NOT HAVING SEEN YOUR POST. You're correct on ALL COUNTS.,

I would have liked to be around for college football's silver age in the 60s and 70s with so many coaches who are now statues. But I am glad I didn't have to see ND go something like an entire generation without winning in an even numbered year. I have read that Devine just couldn't beat them and the losing streak in Pasadena was snapped by none other than Gerry Faust.

The 74 game used to be on ESPN Classic. I wonder if the 2nd half woulda been different if we didn't bungle an easy chance to go up 31-0.

I would have liked to be around for college football's silver age in the 60s and 70s with so many coaches who are now statues. But I am glad I didn't have to see ND go something like an entire generation without winning in an even numbered year. I have read that Devine just couldn't beat them and the losing streak in Pasadena was snapped by none other than Gerry Faust.

The 74 game used to be on ESPN Classic. I wonder if the 2nd half woulda been different if we didn't bungle an easy chance to go up 31-0.
Devine actually did a little better than Ara, at least in how close the games were. The '75 and '76 games were by a TD or less. We won big in '77, of course, and in the '78 game, Montana led a fourth quarter comeback that gave us the lead with a couple of minutes left, but USC was able to move down field for the winning field goal. I think on their final drive, we thought we had forced their QB to fumble, but the refs called it an incomplete pass and they wear able to get one more completion to get close enough for the kick. '79 and '80 reverted to the norm of USC having their way with us.

Reactions: tbonesays
As a kid, I was a Charles White fan before I was a ND fan. I was always #12 in the backyard football games against my big brother. LOL.

As a kid, I was a Charles White fan before I was a ND fan. I was always #12 in the backyard football games against my big brother. LOL.
I was always a ND fan starting at around age 5, but Jon Arnett #26 was always my favorite player, and I wore his # playing midget football all through high school. Not many here will remember Arnett, a damn good USC running back IN THE MID 50’s.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
I was always a ND fan starting at around age 5, but Jon Arnett #26 was always my favorite player, and I wore his # playing midget football all through high school. Not many here will remember Arnett, a damn good USC running back IN THE MID 50’s.
i remember, didn’t he play for the Rams after USC

I remember that night very well ! What a performance by Charles White that night. RIP !

Jon Arnett

I remember that night very well ! What a performance by Charles White that night. RIP !
Rgc7… great to see you posting! How’s the new hip holding up? Hope this finds you and your wife healthy and still enjoying life in Arizona at the base of Rattlesnake Mtn!

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
ADVERTISEMENT