ADVERTISEMENT

CFP to expand to 12 teams in '24

I can be "bothered..." I watched the Maui Invitational last week. A lot of it. Great Mens CBB. Arizona-Creighton was a fun final to watch.
Me neither, the Duke-Purdue championship sucked also. NC-Alabama also very boring. Can't we select the tourney teams now and get on with it. I'm so busy and "bothered" by this

The regular season will not be diminished. And personally I don't think any of these fans care about that anyway, that's just an excuse. Wanting to preserve the current system as somehow sacred or unique is a socio-cultural hobbyhorse, it really has nothing to do with sports or football.

You guys merely want to keep the ancien regime in place, and to be able to attach your support to that. I don't even think most of you guys even like sports. It's just something you do on the weekend. An obligation that you take on as part of your adult existence. Like going to church or golfing.

Thankfully, whatever the motivation, even if it's just more TV money, society is moving past that and we're finally going to leave behind this antiquated, horrible, reactionary system, and get a kick-ass four round playoff, with automatic bids. Now all we need to do is get rid of any and all bowl affiliation, and let the games be hosted by the higher seeded team for all the playoff games excluding the championship, which of course will be a neutral site. Just like the NFL....

Reactions: Chitown11
The reason why those losses to Stanford and Marshall were so disappointing was because of what they meant: season over.

Now Notre Dame can lose to some bottom feeding team / program and still be in it.

All that means is that I no longer have any reason whatsoever to watch Notre Dame play against cupcakes on the schedule because if they lose the consequences don't matter very much.
Aahhh...
Then you aren't a real fan and or ex player/coach.

There is more to watching and rooting for than just momentum keeping and or assumptions of victory.

Good thing most schools don't have many fair weather fans like yourself otherwise their barns would be completely empty and they'd just drop football

12 is to much. Honestly it cheapens the regular season. The emotions one feels with a close win or close loss will be diminished...just like watching an NFL game. If we had to change it I would have liked a 6 team...with the top 2 receiving a bye. First games at home fields of #3 and #4 with the semi finals on New Years and Championship after that
No home fields, and 6 is ridiculous. 4, 8, or 16......and everyone plays the same amount of games.

Truth be told, it was fine at 4. No one has a chance after 4 teams.

Again. No one.

Reactions: NDSMC78
So if let's say a 10-3 team gets to the playoff. For example LSU this year.
WON'T HAPPEN!!

The final four as you see it right now if they win out is your playoff participants.
If losses happen it will only matter for one team. USC.

Georgia even in a loss is in no matter
Michigan even in a loss is in no matter
TCU will probably have to lose badly to not be in.

USC is the only one in jeopardy if they lose it will be two losses.

The next team in will be OSU.

If something odd happens like USC lose and TCU lose by 35 points

OSU is in and it will come down to Tennessee and Alabama

LSU IS NOT getting in!!!

P
E
R
I
O
D

Explain then. Let's say SC loses to Utah. BIG ask. Who then goes as #4? What if TCU and SC were to lose? Bama - 2 losses. Ohio 1 Loss. What if LSU beats UGA and say TCU or SC loses? And this is with 4 teams.
What?
Thats nonsense, it made cfb the worst post season in all of sports
Who had the best season?

That is the question a national championship is to answer in college football.

Not, who has the highest power ranking? Or, who performed best in a elimination tournament?

WON'T HAPPEN!!

The final four as you see it right now if they win out is your playoff participants.
If losses happen it will only matter for one team. USC.

Georgia even in a loss is in no matter
Michigan even in a loss is in no matter
TCU will probably have to lose badly to not be in.

USC is the only one in jeopardy if they lose it will be two losses.

The next team in will be OSU.

If something odd happens like USC lose and TCU lose by 35 points

OSU is in and it will come down to Tennessee and Alabama

LSU IS NOT getting in!!!

P
E
R
I
O
D
He's talking on a 12 team field.

And yes a 3 loss LSU team would make the 12 team tournament

12 is to much. Honestly it cheapens the regular season. The emotions one feels with a close win or close loss will be diminished...just like watching an NFL game. If we had to change it I would have liked a 6 team...with the top 2 receiving a bye. First games at home fields of #3 and #4 with the semi finals on New Years and Championship after that
Maybe 12 is too much, 8 at a minimum. 16 is coming, just watch and see, too many $$$ involved

16 would be fine if they eliminate Conference championships. FCS plays 24 now. Top 8 get byes. Each school plays 11 games not 12-13.

They do. They play 12 weeks in a season. Every game was a playoff. That's what made cfb the best regular season in all of sports
Yep...before you were an itch in Dad's pants
Yep. every game means something
It was the only major sports where that could be said
Not anymore
Congratulations to all those that settle rather than strive
That take the least instead of trying for the best
instant gratification instead of working towards a real goal
THAT is what this is about; well that and more money for the businesses involved and that includes the colleges
Wrong...

You're just a trendy sheep in a flock led by the media.

Before any playoff it was a total shit show. He, who ranked high in pre-season, had chance to be crowned champion even with a loss.

He who started poll 10th or lower could never lose game and still be in serious consideration for a bowl game that would decide a champion.

In other words you'd much rather have a paper champion driven by the media on who the flavor of the year is.

Moreover tell us the last time Alabama or any prominent SEC team for that matter had a meaningful game above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween.!?

If you've ever played the game the SEC has absolutely positively the friendliest climate to play football in.

Cold, wind, rain, sleet, snow...and the biggest one...
a cool, breezy yet dry early November day?
The ball gets extremely slick. No moisture in the air.
The SEC refuses to participate in any of that.

You should be thankful for the new playoff for a couple reasons...

#1 it's no longer a beauty pageant. A popularity contest.

#2 it just might give those schools that refuse to play in uncomfortable climates a reason to do just that.
(A) they need the win to get in
(B) they're less hurt if they lose with more playoff participation

Let's see Alabama play @ South Bend in this..

Florida or Georgia play @ Ann Arbor or East Lansing... or the frozen
terrafirma of Lambeau field playing Wisconsin

Any of the top SEC playing the Huskies on a November evening up there.

With a first round host of playoff games these media darlings from the comfy confines of the Southeast will have to play in such conditions.

Lastly this will promote more conference cross over games which is a wonderful thing as things and those dots you love to connect are settled on a field.

Wrong...

Before any playoff it was a total shit show. He, who ranked high in pre-season, had chance to be crowned champion even with a loss.

He who started poll 10th or lower could never lose game and still be in serious consideration for a bowl game that would decide a champion.

In other words you'd much rather have a paper champion driven by the media on who the flavor of the year is.

Moreover tell us the last time Alabama or any prominent SEC team for that matter had a meaningful game above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween.!?

If you've ever played the game the SEC has absolutely positively the friendliest climate to play football in.

#2 it just might give those schools that refuse to play in uncomfortable climates a reason to do just that.

With a first round host of playoff games these media darlings from the comfy confines of the Southeast will have to play in such conditions.

Lastly this will promote more conference cross over games which is a wonderful thing as things and those dots you love to connect are settled on a field.
Yawn

Wrong...

This is why I never understood why ND gave into SC's demands to never play the game at the end of November in SB. I don't care who your QB is, you ain't winning in that if you aren't from it. Clemson, FSU, Miami, SC, UCLA etc. Worst nightmare for them.

Reactions: Chitown11 and 88ND
He's talking on a 12 team field.

And yes a 3 loss LSU team would make the 12 team tournament
Obviously i was talking about 4...

No need to make the last sentence unless some immaturity of getting the last word in pats your back

This is why I never understood why ND gave into SC's demands to never play the game at the end of November in SB. I don't care who your QB is, you ain't winning in that if you aren't from it. Clemson, FSU, Miami, SC, UCLA etc. Worst nightmare for them.
Oh I agree...

I assume ND never pushed that because honestly we needed the USC game out there with any recruits we are wooing ...
Needed that more than USC needing an Indiana presence any time of the year.

If USC said we aren't playing in that horseshit weather and dropped the game it hurts us more than them.

Just an assumption though

Oh I agree...

I assume ND never pushed that because honestly we needed the USC game out there with any recruits we are wooing ...
Needed that more than USC needing an Indiana presence any time of the year.

If USC said we aren't playing in that horseshit weather and dropped the game it hurts us more than them.

Just an assumption though
How do you know? Where are your facts? Who told you this? LOL. You can't assume or have an opinion on this board with some of these know it all clowns

Reactions: 88ND
Obviously i was talking about 4...

No need to make the last sentence unless some immaturity of getting the last word in pats your back
And obviously he was talking about 12

You aren't brought enough to realize that

I traveled around the United States and asked every athlete I know and the majority want the game to be decided on the field and not in a boardroom. Its common fricking sense.
As I thought, it is a claim you manufactured out of thin air. That seems to be the way you operate. You make stuff up to support your viewpoint.

As I thought, it is a claim you manufactured out of thin air. That seems to be the way you operate. You make stuff up to support your viewpoint.
I guess you have never played a sport in your life. Winning needs to be decided on the field not in some swanky board room full of biased morons. Any athlete wants this.

Reactions: 88ND
And obviously he was talking about 12

You aren't brought enough to realize that
Another meaningless post for the counter.

School is out for the weekend so you'll be living on this and the SEC board

It made CFB the best regular season in all sports.
Why?
SEC top teams never play above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween...

If a team starts the year near the top they can drop 1 or even 2 games and still get in...
You know...they're a trendy flavor of the year

The 4 team playoff is a beauty pageant. A Punch and Judy show.

Nobody wants crossover games in fear of losing.

So it's all a bunch of perceived dot connecting with whom is the top 4.

Maybe now we get to see a Bama play in the snow ( god forbid)..
A Georgia play in Seattle Saturday night in the freezing cold windy rain.

Good riddance to the horseshit of paper champions

I guess you have never played a sport in your life. Winning needs to be decided on the field not in some swanky board room full of biased morons. Any athlete wants this.
Alabama has won 6 national titles in the last 13 seasons.

Why?

If a team starts the year near the top they can drop 1 or even 2 games and still get in...

Yawn

Why?

Garbage.

I understand that going to 12 will benefit ND, but, in my opinion, three loss teams should not be playing for championships. Twelve are too many.
It may benefit to get us in but the road to a natty is more difficult. 3 wins in a row vs top 10 teams will be a big challenge

I say you are full of crap and take the easy way any chance you get
This is the kind of attitude that you see in drones in offices
Congratulations
I will never get on board as you claim; go ahead and be a lemming
Ok, if ND ever wins the title being a six seed or lower you can’t celebrate because you’re not a drone and will never be “onboard”

Not buying it

and yours does?

It seems like his opinion is more accurate as the CFB playoffs are now 12, and some say it may end up at 16. It’s not going back to four, so just deal with it my man.
It's not going back to 4. Doesn't mean this is best or right.

It's all about money

It's not going back to 4. Doesn't mean this is best or right.

It's all about money
It doesn’t bother me it’s largely about money, but it’s also something wanted by universities, coaches, and players. They want to have the opportunity to make a playoff.

I’ll watch every game pending family or work events, and I’ll be happy. CFB is my favorite sport and I’ll watch as much as I can.

It doesn’t bother me it’s largely about money, but it’s also something wanted by universities, coaches, and players. They want to have the opportunity to make a playoff.

I’ll watch every game pending family or work events, and I’ll be happy. CFB is my favorite sport and I’ll watch as much as I can.
Yeah no kidding those people want more games, that means more money

No College Football Championship should be won by a team that went 8-3 in the regular season and that will be possible in 2024

You look back over history and who has won a NC with more than one loss?

This downgrades the first part of the season to like preseason football in the NFL
It might actually allow teams to not be afraid to play better OOC schedules … like it does in basketball.

It might do the opposite
It should also mean the end of tue bowls which are woefully out of step with playoffs and transfer portal … who is buying tickets to a meaningless game in which we don’t even know who is playing?

Imagine you have the NFL playoffs and then consolation games matching the non playoff teams at far off locations with optional participation by the best players?

We would still totally have the bowls, why would we end the bowls? That doesn't make any sense, nor am I aware of any plans by the powers that be to actually end the bowls and not play them anymore. There would simply be 8 less teams to choose from. And perhaps the scheduling might be different, they won't be on Saturdays, when the playoff games will be played.

Imagine you have the NFL playoffs and then consolation games matching the non playoff teams at far off locations with optional participation by the best players?

I have received several emails from ND asking me to buy tickets to a bowl game, ever though we don't know where we will be playing or who our opponent will be.

We would still totally have the bowls, why would we end the bowls? That doesn't make any sense, nor am I aware of any plans by the powers that be to actually end the bowls and not play them anymore. There would simply be 8 less teams to choose from. And perhaps the scheduling might be different, they won't be on Saturdays, when the playoff games will be played.
The economics will determine which ones survive … many are poorly attended and low viewership and now we have more players opting out which will hurt. In the past I have attended lesser bowl games but would think twice as are many other fans.

It will become the football equivalent of the NIT

Last edited:
The regular season was getting watered down. The big boys were scheduling "powder puff" out of conference schedules so they could be "voted" in the playoffs with 1 loss or zero loss records. Talk about taking the least instead of trying for the best. I guarantee you the majority of athletes are happy they have expanded and now it will be determined on the football field and not in some fancy boardroom table with a bunch of biased nitwits.
Let's fix that problem then, Let's say your sos has to be no lower than 20. Have it set when the new playoffs come.

ADVERTISEMENT