ADVERTISEMENT

CFP to expand to 12 teams in '24

So they institutionalized a dumb idea
Explain then. Let's say SC loses to Utah. BIG ask. Who then goes as #4? What if TCU and SC were to lose? Bama - 2 losses. Ohio 1 Loss. What if LSU beats UGA and say TCU or SC loses? And this is with 4 teams.

There has not been more than 6 legitimate NC contenders in any year I can remember; now they want to give a shot to 12?

TOTAL HORSECRAP
While I’m not a fan of the expansion and completely agree with your assessment, I’m not sure I understand how a legit national champ contender should worry about a 3-loss team that’s not a legit contender?

Awesome, playoff's finally here. Every time if I wonder if I'm too hard on ND's reactionary benighted cretin fanbase, I get a timely reminder that I'm definitely not. This is one of those reminders.

Reactions: Chitown11
They won’t be, would need to win 2-3 games against the ‘ legit’ contenders to play for a championship.
wow are you dim. The way they are going, conference champs like the Big 10 and a few others will have an automatic in for the playoffs. At least that is what so many apparently expect.

So here is an example of how bad it could be:
What if somehow Purdue upsets Michigan? Under the system you want so bad, they would be in the playoffs WITH FIVE LOSSES.

Three loss teams should not be playing for championships. It's that simple.
Well, you’re just going to deal with it because the playoffs are here. Every single conference and broadcaster expects to make huge revenue from the playoff.

No one is forcing any of you to watch any games.

Well, you’re just going to deal with it because the playoffs are here. Every single conference and broadcaster expects to make huge revenue from the playoff.

No one is forcing any of you to watch any games.

I realize that. I just believe it is a poor way to crown a champion.

I thought an 8 team playoff was the ideal number and thought 12 was too many as I don’t think anyone really out of the top six has a legit title shot.

That said, if an undefeated or one loss team loses to a three loss team then that’s their fault, be better.

The playoffs are here, and I fully intend to watch as much of it as possible. CFB is the greatest sport IMO.

wow are you dim. The way they are going, conference champs like the Big 10 and a few others will have an automatic in for the playoffs. At least that is what so many apparently expect.

What if somehow Purdue upsets Michigan? Under the system you want so bad, they would be in the playoffs WITH FIVE LOSSES.
Nope wrong. It’s the highest rated conference champions.

Wouldn't they still have three losses?
So is 2 losses the threshold? You decide? Again not in favor of expansion as it diminishes the regular season as so many have said but your fear is they would compete for a National championship- that would not be the case unless they beat 2-3 of those ‘legit’ contenders. And if they do that, we’ll hell they’re better.

Why would a legit contender lose to a team with 3 losses? If they get whacked, time to pack your bags.

I think they’re are several 2and 3 loss teams that would handle TCU. Just like when ND made it to the playoffs several times on a weak schedule and the whole country knew they would get smoked and did- did they simply deserve to be their cause their W/L record ? Many people doubted and were right.

Reactions: tbonesays

Garbage

So is 2 losses the threshold? You decide? Again not in favor of expansion as it diminishes the regular season as so many have said but your fear is they would compete for a National championship- that would not be the case unless they beat 2-3 of those ‘legit’ contenders. And if they do that, we’ll hell they’re better.

Why would a legit contender lose to a team with 3 losses? If they get whacked, time to pack your bags.

I think they’re are several 2and 3 loss teams that would handle TCU. Just like when ND made it to the playoffs several times on a weak schedule and the whole country knew they would get smoked and did- did they simply deserve to be their cause their W/L record ? Many people doubted and were right.

Come on. We all know that upsets happen. ND lost to both Marshall and Stanford this year.
The expansion to 12 teams is driven by the desire to increase monetary return, not to make sure the best team wins.
We see this all over sports with more and more wild card teams. It's all designed to increase financial return.

I realize that. I just believe it is a poor way to crown a champion.
Yeah, lets have a panel of biased dimwits determine who the best 4 teams are, SMH. Its all about the $$ and thats the way it will always be. Get ready because a 16 team playoff is on the horizon. The reasoning will be, no teams should get a bye. I want to see teams PLAY for Championships, not get voted in like some beauty contest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
Yeah, lets have a panel of biased dimwits determine who the best 4 teams are, SMH. Its all about the $$ and thats the way it will always be. Get ready because a 16 team playoff is on the horizon. The reasoning will be, no teams should get a bye. I want to see teams PLAY for Championships, not get voted in like some beauty contest.
They do. They play 12 weeks in a season. Every game was a playoff. That's what made cfb the best regular season in all of sports

Reactions: shooter1977
There has not been more than 6 legitimate NC contenders in any year I can remember; now they want to give a shot to 12?

TOTAL HORSECRAP
6 is a stretch. The vast majority of the teams in a 12 team playoff have zero shot at winning a ring.

Reactions: Golson5
16 teams is a laugh. 12 have 00.00%% shot at winning a ring.

It's simply a money grab.

I can't wait for a Georgia-Iowa first round game.

Reactions: Golson5
16 teams is a laugh. 12 have 00.00%% shot at winning a ring.

It's simply a money grab.

I can't wait for a Georgia-Iowa first round game.
$$$ grab? No $hit but its reality. 16 is coming, may as well get on board.

Reactions: 88ND
$$$ grab? No $hit but its reality. 16 is coming, may as well get on board.
I say you are full of crap and take the easy way any chance you get
This is the kind of attitude that you see in drones in offices
Congratulations
I will never get on board as you claim; go ahead and be a lemming

Best regular season in sports by far
Yep. every game means something
It was the only major sports where that could be said
Not anymore
Congratulations to all those that settle rather than strive
That take the least instead of trying for the best
instant gratification instead of working towards a real goal
THAT is what this is about; well that and more money for the businesses involved and that includes the colleges

I say you are full of crap and take the easy way any chance you get
This is the kind of attitude that you see in drones in offices
Congratulations
I will never get on board as you claim; go ahead and be a lemming
Whatever douche, I've wanted a playoff for 50 years. Its about time its happening. IDGAF if you don't get on board, dont watch!

Whatever douche, I've wanted a playoff for 50 years. Its about time its happening. IDGAF if you don't get on board, dont watch!
What makes you stupid enough to think I would do anything you wanted?
Dumb just does not describe you.
But then again you are typical of the type that always has the hand out demanding more without doing more

Yep. every game means something
It was the only major sports where that could be said
Not anymore
Congratulations to all those that settle rather than strive
That take the least instead of trying for the best
instant gratification instead of working towards a real goal
THAT is what this is about; well that and more money for the businesses involved and that includes the colleges
The regular season was getting watered down. The big boys were scheduling "powder puff" out of conference schedules so they could be "voted" in the playoffs with 1 loss or zero loss records. Talk about taking the least instead of trying for the best. I guarantee you the majority of athletes are happy they have expanded and now it will be determined on the football field and not in some fancy boardroom table with a bunch of biased nitwits.

What makes you stupid enough to think I would do anything you wanted?
Dumb just does not describe you.
But then again you are typical of the type that always has the hand out demanding more without doing more
One of the most retarded posts I've ever read. When did I say "do what I want?" To educate your $tupid a$$ - IDGAF means "I don't give a f__ck" what you do.

Its time to come into the 21st century. My God division II and III have had 16 team playoffs for years. Just imagine how exciting the college basketball tourney would be with 4 teams, LOL

NCAA basketball tournament is great. NCAA basketball regular season is not. Unless ND is playing, I can't be bothered to watch a regular season basketball game. Because so many teams make the tournament, it doesn't matter who wins any regular season game.

The regular season was getting watered down. The big boys were scheduling "powder puff" out of conference schedules so they could be "voted" in the playoffs with 1 loss or zero loss records. Talk about taking the least instead of trying for the best. I guarantee you the majority of athletes are happy they have expanded and now it will be determined on the football field and not in some fancy boardroom table with a bunch of biased nitwits.
How is it that you guarantee this? How many athletes have you spoken to? Or are you just imposing your personal beliefs on the athletes?

NCAA basketball tournament is great. NCAA basketball regular season is not. Unless ND is playing, I can't be bothered to watch a regular season basketball game. Because so many teams make the tournament, it doesn't matter who wins any regular season game.
I can be "bothered..." I watched the Maui Invitational last week. A lot of it. Great Mens CBB. Arizona-Creighton was a fun final to watch.

I can be "bothered..." I watched the Maui Invitational last week. A lot of it. Great Mens CBB. Arizona-Creighton was a fun final to watch.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will tune into NCAA basketball in March.

How is it that you guarantee this? How many athletes have you spoken to? Or are you just imposing your personal beliefs on the athletes?
I traveled around the United States and asked every athlete I know and the majority want the game to be decided on the field and not in a boardroom. Its common fricking sense.
Ok great. Lets not even play a regular season in any sport. We can let the "experts" decide who they would like to see in the playoffs.

12 is to much. Honestly it cheapens the regular season. The emotions one feels with a close win or close loss will be diminished...just like watching an NFL game. If we had to change it I would have liked a 6 team...with the top 2 receiving a bye. First games at home fields of #3 and #4 with the semi finals on New Years and Championship after that

ADVERTISEMENT