ADVERTISEMENT

CFP to expand to 12 teams in '24

There isn't a regular season in sports quite as intense as college football it is like every game is a playoff game every week. It is one of the reasons I choose to follow college over the NFL. But with every policy change they make they're taking what makes college football unique away.

There isn't a regular season in sports quite as intense as college football it is like every game is a playoff game every week. It is one of the reasons I choose to follow college over the NFL. But with every policy change they make they're taking what makes college football unique away.
It's a catch 22 for me. While eliminations games go away they still how how teams match up against top talent for when it matters in January.

This makes November more interesting actually. For example, ND was 8-3 and had they beat USC everyone would be waiting to see if they get into the 12 team playoff. Which would have been very possible.

This makes November more interesting actually. For example, ND was 8-3 and had they beat USC everyone would be waiting to see if they get into the 12 team playoff. Which would have been very possible.
The reason why those losses to Stanford and Marshall were so disappointing was because of what they meant: season over.

Now Notre Dame can lose to some bottom feeding team / program and still be in it.

All that means is that I no longer have any reason whatsoever to watch Notre Dame play against cupcakes on the schedule because if they lose the consequences don't matter very much.

The reason why those losses to Stanford and Marshall were so disappointing was because of what they meant: season over.

Now Notre Dame can lose to some bottom feeding team / program and still be in it months later in the season. All that means is that I no longer have any reason whatsoever to watch Notre Dame play against cupcakes on the schedule because if they lose they'll still be in it
I wish you would stop watching Notre Dame Football all together.

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
I wish you would stop watching Notre Dame Football all together.
giphy.gif

One of the few occasions when I agree with chaseball.

Ugh. If this means more playoff games in sterile NFL stadiums, no thanks. Regular season games on campus are what college football is about.

Reactions: Runforit
Ugh. If this means more playoff games in sterile NFL stadiums, no thanks. Regular season games on campus are what college football is about.
First round is home games. Second and third are Bowl games.

The Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl will get the quarterfinal games for 2024 while the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl will get the semifinals.

A good friend of mine attended BYU-Notre Dame in Las Vegas, and he told me that the stadium experience was really really far from "sterile..."

Notre Dame-Wisconsin at Lambeau Field? If you believe that will be "sterile..," we widely, widely disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
First round is home games. Second and third are Bowl games.
is the format the same as originally constructed and signed off on by Jack—no conference, no bye ,so we have to play 3 even if we’re #1 ?

I’m not a fan of the four team format in Theory, because it would seem to heavily favor the five Conference champs and unfairly penalize ND and all others. In practice, I can’t really argue against who has been selected to participate in the playoffs, and ND has not been unfairly treated. And, I think the playoffs have produced the best team as the eventual champ. In other words, while I see the theoretical negatives of the current format, I think the current format is working.

I also really miss the relative importance of the NYD six bowls, maybe more nostalgia than anything else, but watching great matchups that meant something all day long on New Year’s Day while nursing A Hangover are great memories. This expanded format should revive some of the interest in these bowl games; and of course ND will benefit.

Also there is talk about eliminating the Conference Champ games. If that happens ND could potentially have the no 1-4 rule lifted. Also even if that is not the case and the Conferences still have Championship games, that would be a defacto Bye For ND anyway.

those people cheering this are those who believe in instant gratification

that its only the last month of the season that matters

and that don't worry your season is never over is a positive thing

No College Football Championship should be won by a team that went 8-3 in the regular season and that will be possible in 2024

You look back over history and who has won a NC with more than one loss?

This downgrades the first part of the season to like preseason football in the NFL

Reactions: Golson5
No College Football Championship should be won by a team that went 8-3 in the regular season and that will be possible in 2024

This downgrades the first part of the season to like preseason football in the NFL
Agreed

Please go look at the top 12 and let me know how many 3 loss teams are currently there.

It will upgrade it. Instead of playing 3 tuneups like Michigan did. More teams will play marquee matchups since 1 loss won't end your year.

There has not been more than 6 legitimate NC contenders in any year I can remember; now they want to give a shot to 12?

TOTAL HORSECRAP
Well,..... then I guess you found more free time from August til January. Maybe a new hobby?

A lot of bitching and moaning but the playoffs are here, and the change is happening. ND needs to adapt to the change, I’d rather see a 9-3 ND team in the playoffs then the Gator or Poinsettia Bowls.

If ND had beat USC they’d have won 8 straight and beaten three two loss teams, you could argue they are definitely a team that should be in the playoffs. When you win matters. Let’s say ND started 8-0, but finished 9-3, you wouldn’t think of them as a playoff team because they were regressing despite who they may have beaten earlier in the season.

A lot of bitching and moaning but the playoffs are here, and the change is happening. ND needs to adapt to the change, I’d rather see a 9-3 ND team in the playoffs then the Gator or Poinsettia Bowls.

If ND had beat USC they’d have won 8 straight and beaten three two loss teams, you could argue they are definitely a team that should be in the playoffs. When you win matters. Let’s say ND started 8-0, but finished 9-3, you wouldn’t think of them as a playoff team because they were regressing despite who they may have beaten earlier in the season.

I understand that going to 12 will benefit ND, but, in my opinion, three loss teams should not be playing for championships. Twelve are too many.

Reactions: Classic Irish
I understand that going to 12 will benefit ND, but, in my opinion, three loss teams should not be playing for championships. Twelve are too many.
I would not want any team making it to the playoffs with three loses; ND, NO ONE. Those liking this just have very low standards

If a 3 loss team wins the title, they’d likely have to go 12-3. That’s a good record and they got hot at the right time. They’d have to overcome traveling to an opponent’s home stadium, no byes (rest) and significantly more travel.

They’ll have earned it.

Reactions: Okie70
If a 3 loss team wins the title, they’d likely have to go 12-3. That’s a good record and they got hot at the right time. They’d have to overcome traveling to an opponent’s home stadium, no byes (rest) and significantly more travel.

They’ll have earned it.

Sorry, I disagree. I think that, if you lose 3 during the regular season, you have shown that you are not championship worthy. Shouldn't the regular season mean something?

Sorry, I disagree. I think that, if you lose 3 during the regular season, you have shown that you are not championship worthy. Shouldn't the regular season mean something?
not to some here; probably the same one that like the idea of participation trophies

Sure the Michigan Ohio game will get much more interesting knowing the loser gets a slightly lower seed.

So if let's say a 10-3 team gets to the playoff. For example LSU this year. And theoretically there is still an SEC title game. That means they beat UGA. Then won a game on the road. Then won a quarterfinal and a semifinal and a Final. And you are saying they don't deserve to "WIN" a title because it's a participation trophy? Man that's some logic.

So if let's say a 10-3 team gets to the playoff. For example LSU this year. And theoretically there is still an SEC title game. That means they beat UGA. Then won a game on the road. Then won a quarterfinal and a semifinal and a Final. And you are saying they don't deserve to "WIN" a title because it's a participation trophy? Man that's some logic.

Three loss teams should not be playing for championships. It's that simple.

The whole NCAA basketball tournament is one GIANT participation trophy.

We need to call FCS, D2 and D3. Apparently they have been getting participation trophies for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT