ADVERTISEMENT

CFP to expand to 12 teams in '24

The economics will determine which ones survive … many are poorly attended and low viewership and now we have more players opting out which will hurt. In the past I have attended lesser bowl games but would think twice as are many other fans.
What are you talking about? We have like, 70 bowl games going right now. Do you think they're doing this out of charity? We don't have 70 bowls, we have 35 bowls, and most of them are already thoroughly, shall we say, incidental.....

In any case, they obviously somehow make money. Or they would already not exist. I don't know what the economics of the bowl games are exactly, but unless those economics change significantly then they're going to keep right on having them. And ESPN will keep putting them on TV. And I don't see why that would change.

If you are trying to spread a fear campaign, insinuating how having an expanded playoff that would take place over four weekends, is going to somehow upset the status quo and destroy everything we hold dear.... you're failing pretty miserably. This is all extremely simple stuff. Don't even bother with the fear mongering. I foresee the bowl games simply taking place during the weekdays, of December, and then the playoffs are on Saturdays.

What are you talking about? We have like, 70 bowl games going right now. Do you think they're doing this out of charity? We don't have 70 bowls, we have 35 bowls, and most of them are already thoroughly, shall we say, incidental.....

In any case, they obviously somehow make money. Or they would already not exist. I don't know what the economics of the bowl games are exactly, but unless those economics change significantly then they're going to keep right on having them. And ESPN will keep putting them on TV. And I don't see why that would change.

If you are trying to spread a fear campaign, insinuating how having an expanded playoff that would take place over four weekends, is going to somehow upset the status quo and destroy everything we hold dear.... you're failing pretty miserably. This is all extremely simple stuff. Don't even bother with the fear mongering. I foresee the bowl games simply taking place during the weekdays, of December, and then the playoffs are on Saturdays.
There’s enough fear on this board without me. Correct you don’t know the economics. I worked with corporate sponsorship at two major companies and they pulled out of significant sports partnerships. Have you noticed the bowl sponsors change every few years. That is where the $ comes from, and it may eventually dry up. The money isn’t coming from the turnstiles … the stadiums are half empty.

What you know is impressive but what you don’t know (and don’t even know you dont know) is staggering.

Bowls have become the football equivalent of the NIT.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDSMC78
ADVERTISEMENT