ADVERTISEMENT

Cade McNamara enters portal

Is there any buzz at all from inside the program that we're hot to trot to bring in a portal QB for next season? Or is this just a fan phenomenon? Because I don't see why we would. Pyne has been a thoroughly decent, respectable QB, even if of course he's sort of In the Tommy Rees mold of being very serviceable but obviously not that great. Plus we have Buchner, Angeli and Minchey and even RP3. And this will be a veteran group, and it's not like we'd be deciding between a true frosh or a RS frosh like we would have been when Coan had his turn.

So I guess we could of course, but is there any evidence that we're actually seeking one out?
No

By the time Minchey is a sophomore, he and Buchner will have had about the same football experience given all of Buchners injuries. I think Buchner never starts again.
You mean Minchey coming off his shoulder injury his senior year.

By the time minchey is a sophomore Buchner will be three years in as. A college QB. He will be ready to go.

Right, we could make an exception for Sam Hartman. I think he could be exception-worthy material.

But not Cade McNamara, are you kidding me? I'd just straight up take Pyne over him let alone Tyler Buchner....

Pyne is likely better than McNamara. We need far better than that. Hitting a home run portal guy is the most important thing Freeman can do for his success in 2023. Leary should be priority #1.

Reactions: Telx1
I’m not sure outside of Leary there is a realistic transfer that is much better than Pyne/Buchner. Maybe there’s a surprise out there? No reason to think Hartman will come to ND. McNamara isn’t much better than Pyne imo. DJ U isn’t great and Dabo seems stuck on him.

The intriguing one outside of Leary to me is Hudson Card. He’s unproven, but talented. Someone between he, Buchner, and Minchey would emerge.

Last edited:
I’m not sure outside of Leary there is a realistic transfer that is much better than Pyne/Buchner. Maybe there’s a surprise out there? No reason to think Hartman will come to ND. McNamara isn’t much better than Pyne imo. DJ U isn’t great and Dabo seems stuck on him.

The intriguing one outside of Leary to me is Hudson Card. He’s unproven, but talented. Someone between he, Buchner, and Minchey would emerge.
It's early. Lot of players will be going into portal

I dont think hes much better than Pyne if at all. He had 15 tds and 6 ints. Hes not that good. Pynes numbers were better this year.

Michigan won last year with defense and running the ball. He was a placeholder

Leary and Card are 2 names for sure. But there will be more as more players enter the portal
Yeah, even if he’s better than Pyne, it’s not by much. It would be one thing if he were a plus runner to go along with this running attack we have, but he’s not even that and much of a better passer.

—Buchner is a more dynamic playmaker though we‘ll see after his injury.
—Pyne and Cade are about the same as passers, maybe Cade by a little; neither add much via running

I‘m not excited about Cade at all

Reactions: Golson5
Aim higher. If you are going the transfer portal QB route, the kid needs to be a guaranteed starter.

Cade McNamara simply is not guaranteed to beat out Drew Pyne or Tyler Buchner, based on what I have watched of his play.
He beat Ohio State. Buchner has never won a game at the D1 level.

Pyne is likely better than McNamara. We need far better than that. Hitting a home run portal guy is the most important thing Freeman can do for his success in 2023. Leary should be priority #1.

Nah. Pyne may be better than McNamara in two years if he keeps starting. McNamara is better now.

But Cade may want to go someplace where he is the clear number one (Iowa? Wisconsin?).

Nah. Pyne may be better than McNamara in two years if he keeps starting. McNamara is better now.

But Cade may want to go someplace where he is the clear number one (Iowa? Wisconsin?).
Pyne is likely just as good as McNamara or just slightly worse. I don't see him as a step up really at all. He would not change the offense in any significant way. We don't beat USC with McNamara.

Reactions: Golson5
Pyne is the best QB on the roster and also the one with the lowest ceiling. Can we win a NC with Pyne? Doubtful. I also doubt he had a commitable offer from Bama and there is no way he could be starting there.
Payne will have major problems next year without (his only receiver) Meyer gone.

Not good enough
He has a better arm and accuracy then anyone on the current roster. And is a good but not elite athelete. Definitely a qb capable of running the zone read. With our rbs and oline that alone would open up the passing game.

He has a better arm and accuracy then anyone on the current roster. And is a good but not elite athelete. Definitely a qb capable of running the zone read. With our rbs and oline that alone would open up the passing game.
No. Hes not more accurate than anyone on our roster. Unless you mean by throwing it to the other team. Then yes

30tds 23ints 57.5% completion

Not very good at all.

He has a bigger arm than any guy on our roster but he's no big upgrade. He throws to the other team a lot

We can and have to do better

No. Hes not more accurate than anyone on our roster. Unless you mean by throwing it to the other team. Then yes

30tds 23ints 57.5% completion

Not very good at all.

He has a bigger arm than any guy on our roster but he's no big upgrade. He throws to the other team a lot

We can and have to do better
The team around him has also been terrible. I think he would be a considerable upgrade from pyne. He throws a really good deep ball somthing that pyne can't do. Buchner has not proven he can stay healthy. Until he does I think freeman and rees should consider all options.

The team around him has also been terrible. I think he would be a considerable upgrade from pyne. He throws a really good deep ball somthing that pyne can't do. Buchner has not proven he can stay healthy. Until he does I think freeman and rees should consider all options.
There will be better

There will be better
I agree there will be better , but will they be accepted in nd. Goergia tech is a good academic institution. So assuming the credits would transfer. That may not be the case for other qbs who enter the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT