ADVERTISEMENT

Byron Vaughans DE Portal

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
He is would definitely fill the void at DE, in addition, to being 6’5” 230lbs his defensive grade was in the mid 70’s last year. He has offers from USC, FSU and several other schools are interested. He is originally from Texas. He his would be a big pick up.
I have often wondered why ND does not hire a recruiting coordinator that lives in state of Texas as much time and effort that is already put into it.
Those Texas schools do not even leave the state when they go on a he recruiting trail

I think he’s more like 6’4” and 225, but more importantly, he and his family are currently on campus through today and tomorrow.

Close it! Build some depth on the DL. Get bodies. Find out who can play.
Yes…yes…. I keep expressing concerns over our DL. I think Vaughan would be a really good depth addition. We have plenty of bodies, just not a ton of experience overall, nor good size on the interior. I also think I am not giving enough credit to the young guys who SHOULD contribute next season. Burnham and Ford and Gobaira and Gabriel and Houstan, for example, and others. If Vernon shows up in great shape and focus, and assimilates well into the ND family, I think he might be an impactful rotational player at SDE as well. So from my perspective, I think we’re in great shape at Vyper, good shape at tackle, hurting for size at the nose tackle, and we have high potential and limited experience vying for SDE.

Vernon is going to be a beast for us! Just had a nice pick in the All-American Bowl. Highly underrated player, maybe the most underrated as he doesn't do camps, etc. Just goes about his business. He looks CFB ready.

We need a couple 300+ DT to be stout against the run. Jmo. When teams like Bama , Georgia etc are putting out 320-330 pound mammoths on the o line it’s hard to hold up with 270 lb DT.
Jmo

Reactions: Tru2Irish and Telx1
We need a couple 300+ DT to be stout against the run. Jmo. When teams like Bama , Georgia etc are putting out 320-330 pound mammoths on the o line it’s hard to hold up with 270 lb DT.
Jmo
I hope Mills returns full time to tackle. Thought he was marginal last season at SDE, and Much better when moved inside to tackle. Hope this is his career path and that he gets good weight back up around 300 Lbs. If Rocco gets beat out for starting guard again this year, I hope he And staff commit to a move to nose tackle. He immediately adds 325 lbs with great power and an aggressive attitude to a position of need.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Yes…yes…. I keep expressing concerns over our DL. I think Vaughan would be a really good depth addition. We have plenty of bodies, just not a ton of experience overall, nor good size on the interior. I also think I am not giving enough credit to the young guys who SHOULD contribute next season. Burnham and Ford and Gobaira and Gabriel and Houstan, for example, and others. If Vernon shows up in great shape and focus, and assimilates well into the ND family, I think he might be an impactful rotational player at SDE as well. So from my perspective, I think we’re in great shape at Vyper, good shape at tackle, hurting for size at the nose tackle, and we have high potential and limited experience vying for SDE.
Start a business, Telx. I’d pay for this analysis, my friend.

Reactions: Telx1
Vernon is going to be a beast for us! Just had a nice pick in the All-American Bowl. Highly underrated player, maybe the most underrated as he doesn't do camps, etc. Just goes about his business. He looks CFB ready.
I think it is great he is arriving now. It will give him time to hit the weight room as he has a good frame but think 8 months in a college weight room is going to do wonders for him.

I think it is great he is arriving now. It will give him time to hit the weight room as he has a good frame but think 8 months in a college weight room is going to do wonders for him.
He's not an early enrollee

Jmo
That's why I don't understand recruiting 260 DL like Donovan Hinish. I get his brother did good but not great. We need Tillery type of DL. Nix type. Not hopefuls but greats. K,Ford,Mills,Rubio all need to develop even more now.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
That's why I don't understand recruiting 260 DL like Donovan Hinish. I get his brother did good but not great. We need Tillery type of DL. Nix type. Not hopefuls but greats. K,Ford,Mills,Rubio all need to develop even more now.
Hinish is impressing and going to play early pro ably next year

I hope Mills returns full time to tackle. Thought he was marginal last season at SDE, and Much better when moved inside to tackle. Hope this is his career path and that he gets good weight back up around 300 Lbs. If Rocco gets beat out for starting guard again this year, I hope he And staff commit to a move to nose tackle. He immediately adds 325 lbs with great power and an aggressive attitude to a position of need.
Yep… mills setting an edge is moronic when he can blow up the interior gaps

I like the idea of moving Rocco to DT.

Also if we miss on some of the higher rated prospects at DT then we should probably take at least one lower 3 star guy that is a Daniel Cage type guy. Get a big 320 lb space eater and coach em up. I believe our only guy like that on the roster is Aiden K. You can be a highly rated prospect and all polished up but if your only 225 lbs……. I have a hard time believing your going to over power a 330 lb guy. No matter what the star ratings say. Jmo.

I like the idea of moving Rocco to DT.
To be clear, I would prefer Rocco wins one of the two starting guard positions on our OL. By all accounts, Schrauth looks so Impressive that it will be a surprise if he isn’t starting next season; and so the question is whether Rocco beats out the competition for the other guard spot. Kristofic is the most likely main competition, but I would still like to see Fisher next to Alt if Wagner Or Baker or ? prove they are a better option at RT. Regardless, my main concern is that Rocco does not win a starting position and then enters the transfer portal.
Rocco was a hell of a talent coming out of high school, on BOTH sides of the ball. He was also a wrestler. If Rocco cannot win a starting guard position this Spring, he and staff should review his best career path to the NFL, and I would Like to see a switch to defense at that point. He’s 6’4” and a solid 325, capable of carrying more weight, powerful, aggressive, and with an excellent resume as a DL in high school, with a wrestling background to boot.

To be clear, I would prefer Rocco wins one of the two starting guard positions on our OL. By all accounts, Schrauth looks so Impressive that it will be a surprise if he isn’t starting next season; and so the question is whether Rocco beats out the competition for the other guard spot. Kristofic is the most likely main competition, but I would still like to see Fisher next to Alt if Wagner Or Baker or ? prove they are a better option at RT. Regardless, my main concern is that Rocco does not win a starting position and then enters the transfer portal.
Rocco was a hell of a talent coming out of high school, on BOTH sides of the ball. He was also a wrestler. If Rocco cannot win a starting guard position this Spring, he and staff should review his best career path to the NFL, and I would Like to see a switch to defense at that point. He’s 6’4” and a solid 325, capable of carrying more weight, powerful, aggressive, and with an excellent resume as a DL in high school, with a wrestling background to boot.
Fair or not...he's not a harry guy. He's going to compete, but if he's beat out this year I'd assume the portal beckons.
Schrauth seems like a front runner going into spring. I've also heard ty chan is a big dude easily 305-315 depending on the day and will challenge this spring. Not sure if he will get a look at guard or not.

I'm concerned about Carmody, Rocco, and Kristofic if they don't win a role this spring. There is a healthy competition coming this spring...thinking some of Quinn's guys will be on outside looking in.

Fair or not...he's not a harry guy. He's going to compete, but if he's beat out this year I'd assume the portal beckons.
Schrauth seems like a front runner going into spring. I've also heard ty chan is a big dude easily 305-315 depending on the day and will challenge this spring. Not sure if he will get a look at guard or not.

I'm concerned about Carmody, Rocco, and Kristofic if they don't win a role this spring. There is a healthy competition coming this spring...thinking some of Quinn's guys will be on outside looking
We need our 7 best to stick around. Injury on O line is a high probability. But Rocco to DL is intriguing.

I'm concerned about Carmody, Rocco, and Kristofic if they don't win a role this spring. There is a healthy competition coming this spring...thinking some of Quinn's guys will be on outside looking in.
Alt, Kristofic, zeke, fisher aren't harry's guys either.

We kind of know the ceiling with kristofic isn't overly high. He is one to not make too many mistakes, but he's also not really going to open up holes like we need.

I've heard TY Chan is a ways away from being ready.

But how many of these guys are a Harry guy? Agree, the competition is great, and I think we can add Baker to your list of possible portal transfers. I reluctantly acknowledge that Zeke will be our starting center, but I still find it hard to accept that he is one of our best five complimentary starters. Each of the last two years we talk about having possibly the best OL in college, and yet we struggle. We have a ton of talent, just hope Harry selects the best five this Spring so that Fall practice Focuses on communication and getting to know the tendencies of who is playing next to each other.

With fisher I do think he's probably a guard at the next level. At times this year he was great, at other times very inconsistent. I do really like how well he moves and can block at the next level.

i think Alt, fisher, zeke are locks, Schrauth is close to a lock. And then you're really find out who is the next best. I have no idea to be honest with you.

I assume wagner won' be quite ready, but you never know how quickly someone will put on the needed size and strength.

But how many of these guys are a Harry guy? Agree, the competition is great, and I think we can add Baker to your list of possible portal transfers. I reluctantly acknowledge that Zeke will be our starting center, but I still find it hard to accept that he is one of our best five complimentary starters. Each of the last two years we talk about having possibly the best OL in college, and yet we struggle. We have a ton of talent, just hope Harry selects the best five this Spring so that Fall practice Focuses on communication and getting to know the tendencies of who is playing next to each other.
Zeke has played much more assignment correct and made far fewer mistakes the last 10 games of this year. His issue he has and probably will always be, you can put a NT over him in short yardage situations and just blow him up. Sometimes the double just can't get there in time. Zeke also moves pretty well.

I also wish we had someone better than Zeke, maybe we do, but I doubt we see it in 23. I sure hope whomever is targeted for center in 2024 (assuming zeke moves on) gets some solid reps in 23. I think it's tough to start a brand new center with minimal reps, zeke really really struggled in 21 at center.

Zeke has played much more assignment correct and made far fewer mistakes the last 10 games of this year. His issue he has and probably will always be, you can put a NT over him in short yardage situations and just blow him up. Sometimes the double just can't get there in time. Zeke also moves pretty well.

I also wish we had someone better than Zeke, maybe we do, but I doubt we see it in 23. I sure hope whomever is targeted for center in 2024 (assuming zeke moves on) gets some solid reps in 23. I think it's tough to start a brand new center with minimal reps, zeke really really struggled in 21 at center.
Nasty, you stated my view exactly. He does move well and he is effective when he gets to the second level. But his size and strength get abused when playing against really big nose guards/tackles. I would add that I thought the communication between Zeke and Lugg really sucked at times.

Yes, Zeke struggled in 21, but that was playing LG I Think. As I recall, he played center the last game and the playoff game in 20, moved to LG in 21, moved back to center in 22, where he was much improved. Wasn’t Coogan recruited to play center? He’s reportedly 6’5” and 310 as a freshman, so you would think he’d be pushing 325 entering next season.

Nasty, you stated my view exactly. He does move well and he is effective when he gets to the second level. But his size and strength get abused when playing against really big nose guards/tackles. I would add that I thought the communication between Zeke and Lugg really sucked at times.

Yes, Zeke struggled in 21, but that was playing LG I Think. As I recall, he played center the last game and the playoff game in 20, moved to LG in 21, moved back to center in 22, where he was much improved. Wasn’t Coogan recruited to play center? He’s reportedly 6’5” and 310 as a freshman, so you would think he’d be pushing 325 entering next season.
you're right on zeke at guard in 2021, he struggled at center in 2020.

Yes coogan is backup center. I hoped Carmody would shift there. A lot of us felt Hainsey should have played center and that's where he is starting for an NFL playoff team.

Carmody seems stronger, tougher, and even more athletic than Zeke, but just undersized for tackle and guard.

Our whole line will be Quinn guys next year. I don't get your point

ADVERTISEMENT