ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner will play in bowl game

I wouldn't play Buchner, who hasn't repped in 3 months. I don't at all see the need to risk injury in a bowl game of little to no meaning. Especially if he is expected to be our starter next season

I wouldn't play Buchner, who hasn't repped in 3 months. I don't at all see the need to risk injury in a bowl game of little to no meaning. Especially if he is expected to be our starter next season

Ok. Who would you have at QB?

Reactions: tkirish
He needs the reps. He needs the playing time

And he will be battling for the starting spot next year with a transfer, Minchey and Angeli. He's not " expected" to be the starter. He's got to earn it

He has to play this game

What’s the alternative ?

No one else has played either.

So we’re stuck by default, no ?

Reactions: IrishMike409
He's been passing for weeks per freeman. No contact though.

The injury was to non throwing shoulder.

I'd be pro playing unless he's still not fully recovered and will blow Spring Ball. Bowl game is entertainment for the fans and allow players one last chance to take the field. Buchner needs a healthy Spring and should be the overriding factor which I trust Coach Freeman has a pretty good handle on. GO IRISH!

well I guess in reality the result of the bowl game doesn’t really matter. Don’t get me wrong you always want to win. But in this case I think playing younger players and working on things is good for the future.

All games matter IMO.

All.
Yes all games matter. I meant in the larger picture win or lose this game won’t change much. It’s the players that haven’t played and will play that I’m curious to see. But to your point , I do agree

Exactly. Is there any chance Buchner is also going to transfer? I'm going to go ahead and assume Pyne's transfer completely caught our coaches off guard. And now with Pyne suddenly gone, Rees is liable to be even more desperate and preoccupied with replacing the QBs already on the roster, and so what's to stop TB from concluding that his coach has also lost faith in him, and that he might be better off just like Pyne in transferring to, I don't know, UCLA, or Cal Berkeley? Maybe Colorado....

What would be classic is if Rees is all freaked out now, and instead of starting Angeli who's healthy and could use the snaps, he'll start TB out of paranoia that he too might hit the portal, and this way he can sort of trick him into staying at ND for the spring semester, and then TB totally re-injures his just-recovering fragile shoulder, at which point I could imagine TB transferring on general principle....

Anyway, I hope we do not also lose TB to the portal....

Hopefully he doesn't repeat the Marshall performance..
You are truly thinking about that wrong. Let hope the oline doesn't have a Marshall performance, and tes, and wrs. Buchner was the only one that look motivated to play.

You are truly thinking about that wrong. Let hope the oline doesn't have a Marshall performance, and tes, and wrs. Buchner was the only one that look motivated to play.
Buchner - Good runner, inaccurate passer, and injury prone. Lets see what Angelli got, nothing to lose. This $hit bowl game is meaningless other then the extra practice time and getting younger guys some playing time.

Reactions: 88ND
Buchner played really really really bad vs marshal. He wasn’t alone though but his accuracy and decision making was
poor.

On both interceptions it should have been obvious Pre snap where he should go instead he made an idiotic decision pre snap both times. On the pick 6 Mayer wasn’t even covered pre snap. I don’t know what caused him to be so mentally bad that game but he was.

There were open receivers and easy tds to be had all game and he kept failing.

Depends a lot on whom we play. I can see Buchner starting but would also like to see a lot of Angeli. If Angeli doesn't get a chance to show what he can do, he may be the next to hit the portal.

Depends a lot on whom we play. I can see Buchner starting but would also like to see a lot of Angeli. If Angeli doesn't get a chance to show what he can do, he may be the next to hit the portal.
if all three hit the portal, I wonder what MF will do? how will he interpret such an occurrence?

Buchner - Good runner, inaccurate passer, and injury prone. Lets see what Angelli got, nothing to lose. This $hit bowl game is meaningless other then the extra practice time and getting younger guys some playing time.
Then please, leave the site until after bowl season and do not watch.

Reactions: Kelso86
Never understand why bowl games are meaningless. They generally pit comparable teams from different conferences to see how they compete with teams outside of just playing conference games. Some bragging rights are involved which makes them meaningful to both players or coaches. South Carolina is a team playing very well and would be considered a real challenge if the game were held during the regular season.

I too would like to see Angeli, but you can bet Freeman's main goal is to win the game. He doesn't want to go 0-2 in bowl games. He's probably giving most of the first team reps to Buchner. If the game is close, unless TB sucks it up, we won't see Angeli. I have heard Angeli has the strongest arm on the roster.

Never understand why bowl games are meaningless. They generally pit comparable teams from different conferences to see how they compete with teams outside of just playing conference games. Some bragging rights are involved which makes them meaningful to both players or coaches. South Carolina is a team playing very well and would be considered a real challenge if the game were held during the regular season.
They're not meaningless. That's just something people say. But they're not meaningful either, they're just bowl games. If you want to, in your own imagination, to deem them to be important and a big deal and something to care about, or however else you want to think of them, of course you should go for it.

But as far as what society at large thinks about bowl games, if you will..... they don't care as much anymore. So you're just going to have to accept that much I suppose. Obviously they really are just exhibition games. It's not really possible to seriously claim much more than that about their character. Back in the day, they of course had an effect on who was voted the mythical national champion. But they haven't had that direct influence in a while. And with top players routine opting out of playing in them, so as to avoid Jaylon Smith's fate, it takes even more of the shine off of them.....

But if you yourself want to really get fired up about them, have at it!

Good idea, let’s never play him to make sure he never gets hurt again.

If he’s medically cleared and can practice (yes and yes) then he can play. It would be foolish not to play him both, for ND and for him.

They're not meaningless. That's just something people say. But they're not meaningful either, they're just bowl games. If you want to, in your own imagination, to deem them to be important and a big deal and something to care about, or however else you want to think of them, of course you should go for it.

But as far as what society at large thinks about bowl games, if you will..... they don't care as much anymore. So you're just going to have to accept that much I suppose. Obviously they really are just exhibition games. It's not really possible to seriously claim much more than that about their character. Back in the day, they of course had an effect on who was voted the mythical national champion. But they haven't had that direct influence in a while. And with top players routine opting out of playing in them, so as to avoid Jaylon Smith's fate, it takes even more of the shine off of them.....

But if you yourself want to really get fired up about them, have at it!
You.ve stated it very well. I am not a great bowl enthusiast but I leave their importance/joy to play up to the players and coaches themselves. It is not for us fans to determined their importance. We have a remote if we don't want to watch. We could watch cooking programs with our spouses instead. We have had a pool at work for the past 50 years to see who can pick the most bowl game winners which leads me to keep track of the results.

You.ve stated it very well. I am not a great bowl enthusiast but I leave their importance/joy to play up to the players and coaches themselves. It is not for us fans to determined their importance. We have a remote if we don't want to watch. We could watch cooking programs with our spouses instead. We have had a pool at work for the past 50 years to see who can pick the most bowl game winners which leads me to keep track of the results.
I don't mind bowl games, and I don't think they're going away either. They're definitely not where the action is anymore. And with the 12 team field coming down the pike, that will only be even more the case.

The thing about all the bowl games, the random ones oftentimes end up being the funnest to watch. Missouri vs Fresno St., or something like that, that turn out in some incredible shootout or what have you. But as far as any big, titanic showdowns between the heavyweights, those days are just about completely over. But they're still fun, and I'll be watching us, quite naturally....

I only play Buchner in the bowl game if I am going to let him ball out and play loose. If he's going to sit in the pocket and be afraid to take hits, I play Angeli. I have reasonable suspicion that Angeli is a better pure pocket passer than Buchner, so depending on my game plan, it's a toss up who I play. I am 99% sure the staff will start Buchner, but I am not sure he's the game changing arm some think he is.

I only play Buchner in the bowl game if I am going to let him ball out and play loose. If he's going to sit in the pocket and be afraid to take hits, I play Angeli. I have reasonable suspicion that Angeli is a better pure pocket passer than Buchner, so depending on my game plan, it's a toss up who I play. I am 99% sure the staff will start Buchner, but I am not sure he's the game changing arm some think he is.
Define with detailed specificity exactly what “ball out and play lose” means in terms of game plan and play calling.

Thanks

Define with detailed specificity exactly what “ball out and play lose” means in terms of game plan and play calling.

Thanks
Letting him be him. He's not a tear it up pocket passing QB. For Buchner to have success, he needs to run A LOT.

but if he is himself he is in the trainer’s room! He needs the bowl game as an audition!

I think it's very very telling that MF said they ran Buchner more than they wanted to due to oline and regular running game not being great early in the season. I know he got injured because of running, but I don't think they ran him enough on early downs. 24 carries for 60 yards for someone with his athleticism is tough.

My point of this post, I think they want buchner to be a pocket passer and only run him when they have to. I don't agree with that, his running ability is what gives him the opportunity to make explosive pays in the passing game.

I think it's very very telling that MF said they ran Buchner more than they wanted to due to oline and regular running game not being great early in the season. I know he got injured because of running, but I don't think they ran him enough on early downs. 24 carries for 60 yards for someone with his athleticism is tough.

My point of this post, I think they want buchner to be a pocket passer and only run him when they have to. I don't agree with that, his running ability is what gives him the opportunity to make explosive pays in the passing game.
I think he’s inaccurate, easily injured, and a tier 2 passer. I think the transfer beats him out easily in 2023 and Minchey and Carr battle it out for ‘24. I think this is Buchners last game in a gold helmet. Might sound harsh. Just my opinion. May he prove me wrong. Hope he does.

Reactions: 1Redrum
I think he’s inaccurate, easily injured, and a tier 2 passer. I think the transfer beats him out easily in 2023 and Minchey and Carr battle it out for ‘24. I think this is Buchners last game in a gold helmet. Might sound harsh. Just my opinion. May he prove me wrong. Hope he does.
I will wait and judge this kid when he has a cohesive OL and an effective running game in front of him. Conclusions after 6 quarters of starting, four of which were his first start in front of 110,000 at Ohio State, are a bit misguided IMO.

And this post isn't "harsh..," it's simply off base.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Ok. Who would you have at QB?
Angeli
Great opportunity to see him in live action against unpredictable opposition.
We will have had weeks to prepare and let him loose.

We need an answer on what he really is or isn't as that tells how dire the QB room is or isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT