ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner will play in bowl game

Buchner played really really really bad vs marshal. He wasn’t alone though but his accuracy and decision making was
poor.

On both interceptions it should have been obvious Pre snap where he should go instead he made an idiotic decision pre snap both times. On the pick 6 Mayer wasn’t even covered pre snap. I don’t know what caused him to be so mentally bad that game but he was.

There were open receivers and easy tds to be had all game and he kept failing.
That's because he's not a good QB.

He's a really good athlete but not a QB.

I will wait and judge this kid when he has a cohesive OL and an effective running game in front of him. Conclusions after 6 quarters of starting, four of which were his first start in front of 110,000 at Ohio State, are a bit misguided IMO.

And this post isn't "harsh..," it's simply off base.
Nothing to judge.
He's inaccurate.
He's soft. Injury prone. Call it what you will but that's who he is.
Some people get trucked and have limbs bend defying geometry and they bounce up and jog back to the huddle.
Some get severely injured getting a textbook wrapped up tackle.

He's extremely quick and that's the tease. His running is what makes him appealing.

Problem is the running is what will put him on the trainimg table

If Pyne and Buchner were the same speed Buchner never starts opening day.

He brings a quickness unmatched by other QB's so you want to play him. He's a quicker softer Brandon Wimbush part II

Reactions: Chitown11
Nothing to judge.
He's inaccurate.
He's soft. Injury prone. Call it what you will but that's who he is.
Some people get trucked and have limbs bend defying geometry and they bounce up and jog back to the huddle.
Some get severely injured getting a textbook wrapped up tackle.

He's extremely quick and that's the tease. His running is what makes him appealing.

Problem is the running is what will put him on the trainimg table

If Pyne and Buchner were the same speed Buchner never starts opening day.

He brings a quickness unmatched by other QB's so you want to play him. He's a quicker softer Brandon Wimbush part II
Thanks Mel Kiper.

Stick to your day job.

Thanks Mel Kiper.

Stick to your day job.
And when you got nothing to add you brainstorm that post.

I didn't make him inaccurate nor did I make him soft.

Maybe he'll ultimately transfer to one of the SEC schools you love so very much

That's because he's not a good QB.

He's a really good athlete but not a QB.
I don't have high hopes, but he can prove a lot of us wrong at the bowl game with a much much improved oline and running game

If Buchner doesn't play well at the bowl game i'm not sure how the coaches could be confident in him starting next year in Ireland.

I don't have high hopes, but he can prove a lot of us wrong at the bowl game with a much much improved oline and running game

If Buchner doesn't play well at the bowl game i'm not sure how the coaches could be confident in him starting next year in Ireland.
Even with an improved oline and running game he's just not an accurate passer.
The difference between hitting a receiver in stride and making the receiver make an amazing catch is huge. Huge as in 1st down or not. 50 yard TD or 3rd and 2.
Now spread that impact or lack thereof across an entire season and the board will be pissing and moaning during the Stanford game 2023 on what could've been over the season " if we had a QB"
Sound familiar? Been a plea for a decade plus

Even with an improved oline and running game he's just not an accurate passer.
The difference between hitting a receiver in stride and making the receiver make an amazing catch is huge. Huge as in 1st down or not. 50 yard TD or 3rd and 2.
Now spread that impact or lack thereof across an entire season and the board will be pissing and moaning during the Stanford game 2023 on what could've been over the season " if we had a QB"
Sound familiar? Been a plea for a decade plus
Thanks again Mel.

If he sucks it up in the bowl game it's Minchey or bust.

If he sucks it up in the bowl game it's Minchey or bust.
if he does then it needs to be all out open competition in the spring and early fall between minchey, buchner, and transfer. I think you keep buchner engaged because there are definite ways to utilize him in packages even if he doesn't win starting job.

if he does then it needs to be all out open competition in the spring and early fall between minchey, buchner, and transfer. I think you keep buchner engaged because there are definite ways to utilize him in packages even if he doesn't win starting job.
It should be an open competition regardless.

Mobile elusive QB'S can steal you a victory in a big game but you throw down the field with chunk gains to get over the top.

Mobile elusive QB'S can steal you a victory in a big game but you throw down the field with chunk gains to get over the top.
of course you want an open competition but having 3 QBs truly in an open competition isn't ideal. 2 Max, because reps are key. Especially going into fall camp. You want starter and backup getting the reps even if you don't know initially which one is which.

I expect Minchey to clean their clocks. He’s far better than our current room. Also think he’s better than any transfer we might get.

of course you want an open competition but having 3 QBs truly in an open competition isn't ideal. 2 Max, because reps are key. Especially going into fall camp. You want starter and backup getting the reps even if you don't know initially which one is which.
I expect Minchey to clean their clocks. He’s far better than our current room. Also think he’s better than any transfer we might get.
Couple things...
#1 I still don't trust Rees to make the right QB decision. Still a carryover from the BK era of selecting, or rather seeing, what nobody else sees until his hand is forced.

#2 Angeli
If we're dismissing his presence then why did we recruit him in the first place? He's a 4 star QB ...same as Minchey.

Far too many people here act like they know his limitations and or ceiling.

He mighy be chopped liver. He mighy be a ridiculous leader that just wins no matter.

None of which we know at this point.

Couple things...
#1 I still don't trust Rees to make the right QB decision. Still a carryover from the BK era of selecting, or rather seeing, what nobody else sees until his hand is forced.

#2 Angeli
If we're dismissing his presence then why did we recruit him in the first place? He's a 4 star QB ...same as Minchey.

He mighy be chopped liver. He mighy be a ridiculous leader that just wins no matter.

I think Minchey fell into his lap as a gift. I think he didn’t outsmart himself on this one and I think Freeman liked Minchey. Minchey was part luck, part major underrated and missed, and stubbornly committed to Pitt. He also grew up a ND fan and I give props to Rees on this one bc I think he’s the one. I like him more than Dante. This one feels different and we haven’t had a high flyer at the elite 11 in a long time.

Couple things...

#2 Angeli

based on rivals angeli was a low 3 star not a 4 star. Minchey and angeli film are not equal. Yes no one knows his mental makeup, but the fact he couldn't take any snaps from pyne even as a frosh should be telling

based on rivals angeli was a low 3 star not a 4 star. Minchey and angeli film are not equal. Yes no one knows his mental makeup, but the fact he couldn't take any snaps from pyne even as a frosh should be telling
Let's not get carried away though because I said the very same thing about Pyne/Buchner unable to take the stating job away from a very pedestrian Coan.

This is where the question marks have to raised though.
Until Rees makes the correct decision from the get go it will be a continuation of Brian Kelly picking the wrong starter. Every single time.
I don't want that to be so...

We shall see

Angeli was a composite 4 star. 0.8962 @ 247
Minchey a composite 4 star on 247

If BK and then Rees had a track record of playing the proper QB I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned. Sadly we have a decade quagmire at the QB position.
Golson needing spelled every other game to Rees not getting one shap in the NC game. Yet all year he spelled Golson when the offense was stuck.

Zaire selected over Kizer.
Yeah...REALLY

Wimbush 20 plus starts to finally realize he can't hit the ocean throwing from the pier. 22 games?

Book ..... should've spelled Wimbush after one season but hanging on to BW too long then messed up the cycle thus Jurkovec transferring

The cycle needs righted again and if that means a pain or two so be it.

We need a start sophomore and junior season then leave early for draft. Plug in and play the next sophomore in line.

Rinse and repeat.

If we make our living in the portal we're in trouble

Let's not get carried away though because I said the very same thing about Pyne/Buchner unable to take the stating job away from a very pedestrian Coan.

Until Rees makes the correct decision from the get go it will be a continuation of Brian Kelly picking the wrong starter. Every single time.

We shall see

If BK and then Rees had a track record of playing the proper QB I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned. Sadly we have a decade quagmire at the QB position.
Golson needing spelled every other game to Rees not getting one shap in the NC game. Yet all year he spelled Golson when the offense was stuck.

Yeah...REALLY

Wimbush 20 plus starts to finally realize he can't hit the ocean throwing from the pier. 22 games?

Book ..... should've spelled Wimbush after one season but hanging on to BW too long then messed up the cycle thus Jurkovec transferring

We need a start sophomore and junior season then leave early for draft. Plug in and play the next sophomore in line.

Rinse and repeat.

Coan is miles above Pyne as a QB

We shall see

Yeah...REALLY

Rinse and repeat.

You’re such an expert while being a couch critic of Brian Kelly and Tommy Rees, why aren’t you a major CFB OC or Head Coach?

Send your resume somewhere and go get hired.

ADVERTISEMENT