ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly Signing Day Presser

NDHHI

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2016
I heard music to my ears and to most on this board come out of BK in his presser...
"We need to get better in November. We are 19-13 in November and this class will help fill some of those needs. It starts with recruiting, coaching and training"

I have never heard BK recognize this alarming stat publicly and glad its being addressed. We have been dominated Sept-Oct then get worn down late in the season. If we can fix that and win those games like at Standford in 16 and Miami last year we are in the playoffs.

I heard music to my ears and to most on this board come out of BK in his presser...
"We need to get better in November. We are 19-13 in November and this class will help fill some of those needs. It starts with recruiting, coaching and training"

I have never heard BK recognize this alarming stat publicly and glad its being addressed. We have been dominated Sept-Oct then get worn down late in the season. If we can fix that and win those games like at Standford in 16 and Miami last year we are in the playoffs.
IF IF IF IF, If only we could get rid of this clown and do something different.

BK also said in an interview today with Eric Hansen that he doesn't want to coach at any other university and he is not interested in the NFL. He is now the second oldest HC at ND. Second to Lou Holtz. Recruits take notice. BK will be here as long as he wants to be here.

BK also said in an interview today with Eric Hansen that he doesn't want to coach at any other university and he is not interested in the NFL. He is now the second oldest HC at ND. Second to Lou Holtz. Recruits take notice. BK will be here as long as he wants to be here.
How depressing.

Reactions: Boston_Irish_Fan
Kelly has been here almost a decade now. What you see is what you get from Kelly. Kelly has never been good in November (2012 the exception). It you are happy with 8-10 win seasons then Kelly is your guy. If you want to compete for championships, Get a new coach.

I really think the X factor this year is Clark Lea. How the defense performs will determine good, great or outstanding season. I think if we can find a way to sack opposing QB more consistently that would help.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kelly has been here almost a decade now. What you see is what you get from Kelly. Kelly has never been good in November (2012 the exception). It you are happy with 8-10 win seasons then Kelly is your guy. If you want to compete for championships, Get a new coach.
Agree completely. the bk bunch(78, sleep walk, hillbilly, pencildick44, zone, fireflyboy) will not like this. After all NO ONE WILL COME TO ND WHO IS BETTER THAN THE ALMIGHTLY BRIAN "OCHO_CINCO" KELLY

Reactions: Boston_Irish_Fan
Agree completely. the bk bunch(78, sleep walk, hillbilly, pencildick44, zone, fireflyboy) will not like this. After all NO ONE WILL COME TO ND WHO IS BETTER THAN THE ALMIGHTLY BRIAN "OCHO_CINCO" KELLY
Wash, rinse, repeat.

You need a new act and only use one handle, Goose.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker

You sound like that dope goose. With all those dopey not so clever nicknames. It does not matter if you like Kelly or not. It is what we have. I want him to prove us all wrong. Go Irish

keep drinking the koolaide hillbilly
I don't drink the koolaide. I live in the real world where I realize Kelly is our coach and I will hope he succeeds. You however hope he fails, so that means you hope ND fails.

BTW, calling everyone names doesn't make them look bad; it makes you look immature.

I could come up with a good one for you very easily, but I'm above that. I'm an adult.

The problem is he will not. How many more years do you need to realize that he has gone as far as he can go? It is called insanity
And if I realize by your dopey standards how does that change anything? Well since we have Kelly I want him to succeed you may not. 2012 he got us there you never know

This may be crazy, but you do realize it’s possible to root for Kelly/ND to succeed which helps future coaches at ND.

Three scenarios that are likely:

1) ND bombs & Kelly doesn’t make it to 2021. Then you get what you want. (Least likely scenario).

2) ND wins & wins & wins & Kelly stays past 2021. If you don’t want this than you aren’t an ND fan because this is a good thing, ND winning a lot.

3) Kelly has a good run the keeps ND a top 5-10 program, continues to get good recruits, makes 1-2 CFP & retires in 2021 leaving the program on the upswing with momentum for the next coach to succeed with. (Most likely scenario).

If you want ND to succeed & a new coach then scenario 3 is perfect for you.
If you get a new coach you lose recruits & young guys might transfer, & you start from scratch. It usually takes 3 years to get on track. (If you fire a failed coach).

So why not root for Kelly to succeed & leave in 2021, leaving ND in really good shape?

If ND runs of 3 more seasons of 10 wins & Kelly retires he will have resurrected the program & the next coach will have a power again.

Reactions: zonairish
This may be crazy, but you do realize it’s possible to root for Kelly/ND to succeed which helps future coaches at ND.

1) ND bombs & Kelly doesn’t make it to 2021. Then you get what you want. (Least likely scenario).

2) ND wins & wins & wins & Kelly stays past 2021. If you don’t want this than you aren’t an ND fan because this is a good thing, ND winning a lot.

3) Kelly has a good run the keeps ND a top 5-10 program, continues to get good recruits, makes 1-2 CFP & retires in 2021 leaving the program on the upswing with momentum for the next coach to succeed with. (Most likely scenario).

If you get a new coach you lose recruits & young guys might transfer, & you start from scratch. It usually takes 3 years to get on track. (If you fire a failed coach).

So why not root for Kelly to succeed & leave in 2021, leaving ND in really good shape?

If ND runs of 3 more seasons of 10 wins & Kelly retires he will have resurrected the program & the next coach will have a power again.
Too logical for him

Give me your top 5 replacements starting this coming season.
John Harbaugh... I think he could be out of Baltimore if they don't win a playoff game

Besides that I don't really know, but names will emerge such as Scott frost

There's always coaches looking to make moves .. ND is still a huge spotlight/awesome place to coach/pinnacle of the coaching profession. The question isn't about what coach should it be .. it's more about how much money is ND willing to pay, how much flexibility they are willing to have (admissions), and how much control they are willing to cease to attract an A-list coach who can have success here.

As long as Father Jenkins & Jack Swarbrick are in power i don't see ND making the type of changes necessary to allow that to happen though.

Last edited:
Also why not pat Fitzgerald? He's beaten ND in south bend. Went 10-3 this year. Not easy at all to win at NW

Two HUGE reasons:

1) He has said numerous times he is not leaving Northwestern & has turned down large offers.

2) He HATES Notre Dame. (Documented)

The point I am making is that their aren’t really all these great options people throw out.

Lou S., the ND historian for over 30 years pops in & out of discussions about coaching prospects & gives cool little facts about each one.
I have learned how about two dozen of the coaches I thought would be good candidates aren’t even options.

I will try to find the article he wrote about a lot of them & get it on here.

Last edited:
https://www.insidenu.com/northweste...-hate-bcs-national-championship-game-northwes

Can remember reading a post on this board years ago that while on a recruiting visit Fitszgerald left before it was over. True or not? Don't know but everything I have read suggests he's not a fan of ND.
Did Fitz have the feeling he was a jilted bride because he took a visit and ND really didn't offer? A resentment he holds to this very day? He got the last laugh. All American at NU and a proven successful HC at a place that is hard to win at. He's a legend and I wouldn't leave either. I'm sure he's paid very well.

Reactions: irishalice
Two HUGE reasons:

1) He has said numerous times he is not leaving Northwestern & has turned down large offers.

2) He HATES Notre Dame. (Documented)

The point I am making is that their aren’t really all these great options people throw out.

Lou S., the ND historian for over 30 years pops in & out of discussions about coaching prospects & gives cool little facts about each one.
I have learned how about two dozen of the coaches I thought would be good candidates aren’t even options.

I will try to find the article he wrote about a lot of them & get it on here.
Lou S is the man. I think it would be possible to get fitz at the end of the day

I do root for ND and BK, but bk has gone as far as he can go. Its time for a change, lets see what someone else can do. We know what bk can do.

There's always coaches looking to make moves .. ND is still a huge spotlight/awesome place to coach/pinnacle of the coaching profession. The question isn't about what coach should it be .. it's more about how much money is ND willing to pay, how much flexibility they are willing to have (admissions), and how much control they are willing to cease to attract an A-list coach who can have success here.

As long as Father Jenkins & Jack Swarbrick are in power i don't see ND making the type of changes necessary to allow that to happen though.
Dead horse again ?

Good hires since 1964 (best to worst):

Ara (95-17-4) (2 Nattys)
Holtz (100-30-2) (1 Natty)
Devine (53-16-1) (benefitted a lot from Ara's legacy) (1 Natty)
Kelly (69-34) (1 Natty appearance)

Bad hires since 1964: (order of failure, worst to best), imo, Weis had NOTHING when he was hired)

Faust (30-26-1)
Willingham (21-15)
Davie (35-25)
Weis (35-27)

I guess what I'm saying is hiring a good coach is not as easy as it seems. And college football has changed since the 60s/70s. Weis cleaned up Willingham's recruiting mess and made us relevant after the awful Davie/Willingham years, but he couldn't develop players and we were going in the wrong direction as a program when Kelly took over.

What has changed since '64? What lessons have we learned. (And no fair saying 'hire a good coach.')

Good hires since 1964 (best to worst):

Ara (95-17-4) (2 Nattys)
Holtz (100-30-2) (1 Natty)
Devine (53-16-1) (benefitted a lot from Ara's legacy) (1 Natty)
Kelly (69-34) (1 Natty appearance)

Bad hires since 1964: (order of failure, worst to best), imo, Weis had NOTHING when he was hired)

Faust (30-26-1)
Willingham (21-15)
Davie (35-25)
Weis (35-27)

I guess what I'm saying is hiring a good coach is not as easy as it seems. And college football has changed since the 60s/70s. Weis cleaned up Willingham's recruiting mess and made us relevant after the awful Davie/Willingham years, but he couldn't develop players and we were going in the wrong direction as a program when Kelly took over.

What has changed since '64? What lessons have we learned. (And no fair saying 'hire a good coach.')

Hiring a new coach would not be easy. Getting a known coach may not be the answer. you would need someone who leads, coaches, recruits understands the Notre Dame culture. And then we have to deal with highs and lows of the selection on our boards. I started watching these boards when willingham was at the end of his second year and you knew they had a make a change. He could not recruit and did not seem to want to recruit. Now we have a good coach who cannot seem to get the players over the hump but seems to be doing all the other things well. Weis did recruit well but defensively and year 1 he chose to be with the superbowl team and we lost 1 year recruiting. He was fortunate that the irish had a lot of experienced players on that team that put us in contention. The problem was we had 2 really bad recruiting years which led to 2007. Kelly is going to be the coach until he retires and at the time what direction do you go. What coaches have that spark that can get us over the hump and then recruit, manage, and understand the culture

Little recruiting tangent. I just watched some film of 5 star backers that UGA has committed. Not that impressive at all. Bo Bauer is a better player than some of these 5 stars. Big fast strong and very explosive. I hate to say it, but it he was a black kid from the south he'd be a 5 star top 20 player based off film. Look at his hudl tape then look at Quay Walker #31 player in the country committed to UGA, and you tell me who's the better player and athlete.

The problem is he will not. How many more years do you need to realize that he has gone as far as he can go? It is called insanity
This program needs a coach who can motivate his players . Kelly cant do it .

No, get a new Athletic Director. I know the purists want to play NFL teams from coast to coast but it just doesn't work out. Do you not understand that most of the Power 5 conferences often play 4 home games to start the season and like AL and GA play total cripples in next to last game. I lived in NE during the Devaney and Osborne era and saw them play 2-4 meaningful games each year. That's how you get ranked and then clean up recruiting and keep winning and keep recruiting and on and on. You have two choices; be happy with 8-10 wins or get an AD who can and will set up a reasonable schedule. 2018 is going to be no different. Coast to coast, pro style/option with special obstacles thrown in by the school admin. It will never change. Sorry!

ADVERTISEMENT