ADVERTISEMENT

Branden Lenzy

No. I think Kevin Austin Jr will be the #1 option. Lenzy and Skowronek will be the #2 and #3 options. In which order, I'm not sure.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson or watts ends up being the third receiver. Also I expect Mayer and tremble to be on the field together quite a bit. Don’t see a third receiver being much of a factor this year.

Reactions: d1042
1. Austin
2. Lenzy
3. Tremble

Drop off

McKinley, Keys, Skrownek, Wright, Mayer, Johnson, Watts will all battle for the 4 through 6 spots in the rotation

Wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson or watts ends up being the third receiver. Also I expect Mayer and tremble to be on the field together quite a bit. Don’t see a third receiver being much of a factor this year.

There is going to be a ton of rotation between the 2 WR's playing. Austin, Lenzy and Skowronek will all catch a lot of balls, IMO. As will Tremble.

IIO- what former ND WR would you compare Austin to? How good can he be?

He'll be good. I think some here are expecting crazy stats after two years barely playing and I just don't see that. I think he'll be excellent, but he won't have a Michael Floyd senior season, or even a Chase Claypool senior season, IMO.

I think a good comparison and a good season would be similar to Davaris Daniel's junior season, when he had 46 receptions, 720 yards receiving and 7 touchdowns. Daniels played at 6'1, 203lbs that year. Austin is naturally faster and has higher upside than Daniels, but from a production standpoint, I can see the two being similar. If he has a really big break out year, maybe gets closer to TJ Jones' 1108 yard, 9 touchdown senior season, but Jones caught 70 balls that season in order to put up those numbers and don't see that out of Austin this year. Truthfully, if he was somewhere between Daniels and Jones, I'd be pretty darn happy with that. Let's say 55 catches, 850 yards and 8 touchdowns. That would be a stellar first full campaign.

Book threw for 3034 yards and 34 TD's last season. I think I'm taking the under on those numbers this year, but I haven't fully decided. A lot of experience and chemistry gone in Claypool, Kmet and Finke. I don't think ND lacks talent in this year's group, but experience is so valuable in college football.

That's why I think people are sleeping on what Ben Skowronek's contributions will be this year. There are more talented guys on the roster, but Skowronek has played in 42 career games, started 29 of them and has played in some wars in the Big 10. He was a Captain as a senior last year at Northwestern and has over 1400 career receiving yards and 8 touchdowns. I don't think some appreciate how valuable it is to "plug and play" a guy with that experience. And it's not like he came from some shitty league, either. He lined up and produced against Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Utah, etc in his career. There are some very legit defenses among those schools.

Last edited:
“That's why I think people are sleeping on what Ben Skowronek's contributions will be this year.”

Good call, Ontario. I think he’ll catch a lot of balls. I also like keys to emerge. He’s not talked about much but I think he’s a sleeper contributor.

No talk of keys at all? I hope he steps up and the top 4 pass catchers are Austin, keys, Lenzy, tremble.... also think it will be hard to keep Mayer off the field.

No talk of keys at all? I hope he steps up and the top 4 pass catchers are Austin, keys, Lenzy, tremble.... also think it will be hard to keep Mayer off the field.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Keys step up and be productive. It's really hard to know exactly what ND has there as Chris Finke's replacement, until we see him on the field for an extended period of time.

I am thinking that Lenzy will be used to stretch the defense a lot. Send him long to get defenders out of the area then target him when they relax. He will be the explosive option as opposed to a possession guy. In the process he will have the chance to earn more targets.

I think Rees will call more high percentage throws for guys like Austin, Tremble, Keys and Skowronek. Maybe McKinley, Watts and Johnson make some noise. Heck, Avery Davis could emerge.

Need to get Book up to 65% completion average.

I am thinking that Lenzy will be used to stretch the defense a lot. Send him long to get defenders out of the area then target him when they relax. He will be the explosive option as opposed to a possession guy. In the process he will have the chance to earn more targets.

I think Rees will call more high percentage throws for guys like Austin, Tremble, Keys and Skowronek. Maybe McKinley, Watts and Johnson make some noise. Heck, Avery Davis could emerge.

Need to get Book up to 65% completion average.
Tough to stretch the field if the QB can’t demonstrably throw an accurate long ball. Hopefully there has been some development.

Some of these answers are funny...

Let's put it this way...he will be the number 1 receiver from a playmaking perspective.
He can't jump out of the stadium and he won't win many corner fade routes in the back of the endzone but he certainly is the biggest threat that the opposing defense will respect the most.

He's the player than can take a 6 yard crossing route and if caught in stride take it 45 yards for a score.

I can't stress to y'all enough just how much the threat of those big plays will aid an offense. Yes even our anemic offense. The key here is will BK actually utilize his thoroughbred?
The elites have no problem getting their playmakers involved immediately even as freshmen. It's what great teams do. Your best athletes don't start and play every down immediately but they sure as hell get involved with some plays immediately. Important plays and at key moments.

Bk....if and when he finally plays the material it will first be in a mop up role whilst beating some weak teams leading by 40 points.

Clemson, Bama, OSU all get their best athletes involved immediately. Perhaps they don't know the entire playbook and or assignments but it's your job as the coach to simplify certain things for them so you can enjoy the use of their athleticism.

BK doesn't believe in that on the offensive side of the ball and it really hurts playing a tough team.

Dexter was the best back we've had in a long time here. The apologists will say every excuse in the world why BK didnt play him but regardless the best player was sitting. The difference maker was spectating.
Lenzy should've been involved a lot earlier than he was. Unfortunately BK made him sit ir only play in situations where the game was already decided.

P.s.

Why would any offensive playmaker want to come here?

The answer?

They don't.

Some of these answers are funny...

Let's put it this way...he will be the number 1 receiver from a playmaking perspective.
He can't jump out of the stadium and he won't win many corner fade routes in the back of the endzone but he certainly is the biggest threat that the opposing defense will respect the most.

He's the player than can take a 6 yard crossing route and if caught in stride take it 45 yards for a score.

I can't stress to y'all enough just how much the threat of those big plays will aid an offense. Yes even our anemic offense. The key here is will BK actually utilize his thoroughbred?
The elites have no problem getting their playmakers involved immediately even as freshmen. It's what great teams do. Your best athletes don't start and play every down immediately but they sure as hell get involved with some plays immediately. Important plays and at key moments.

Bk....if and when he finally plays the material it will first be in a mop up role whilst beating some weak teams leading by 40 points.

Clemson, Bama, OSU all get their best athletes involved immediately. Perhaps they don't know the entire playbook and or assignments but it's your job as the coach to simplify certain things for them so you can enjoy the use of their athleticism.

BK doesn't believe in that on the offensive side of the ball and it really hurts playing a tough team.

Dexter was the best back we've had in a long time here. The apologists will say every excuse in the world why BK didnt play him but regardless the best player was sitting. The difference maker was spectating.
Lenzy should've been involved a lot earlier than he was. Unfortunately BK made him sit ir only play in situations where the game was already decided.

P.s.

Why would any offensive playmaker want to come here?

The answer?

They don't.
Mike Floyd, Tyler Eifert, Will Fuller, Cole Kmet, Chase Claypool, Kyle Rudolph, Troy Niklas are probably happy they came here. 1st and 2nd rd draft picks.

Last edited:

I don’t think people understand how good Mayer is. Kid is already physically able to compete, runs like a receiver, and has incredible ball skills. He will play A LOT this year.

Mike Floyd, Tyler Eifert, Will Fuller, Cole Kmet, Chase Claypool, Kyle Rudolph, Troy Niklas are probably happy they came here. 1st and 2nd rd draft picks.
Oh boy...again please follow along.

4 of your list are TE's? Not explosive perimeter players are they?! Are they going to turn the routine crossing route into a 57 yard score?
N O P E

Floyd was not a BK player. Nor was he that player that forced the defense to gasp.
Claypool is a nice player but explosive he wasn't.
That leaves Will Fuller.
One god damn explosive player in a decade? It was no coincidence that particular year we had the best balanced offensive team ever under BK.

In case you didnt notice the elite teams succeed with big plays.
10-12 play scoring drives as your M.O. is not getting it done against top competitors.
It's too many chances for failure. These are still kids with most football career's being over after their last collegiate game.
In other words they aren't professionals practicing 8 hours per day putting together 10 plus play drives as the normal.
They NEED big plays!!!

Last edited:
Kelly didnt coach him. But I forgot Kyle Rudolph
Another tight end.

Another player not stretching the field.

Still waiting for the list of field stretching offensive players.

Another tight end.

Will Fuller is probably one of the best field stretchers in college football history

Chase Claypool was a field stretcher but had 2 qbs who couldn't throw accurately down field.

Michael floyd stretched the field, but they didn't run it a ton because he always had safety help over the top. Chase was very similar in how teams covered him.

ESB was a field stretcher.

Kevin Stepherson was a field stretcher

Hopefully Lenzy and Austin can stretch it.

Another tight end.

You actually said, why would any offensive playmakers come here.

I named 7off playmakers that got drafted in first 2 rounds.

Many other off players got drafted. That's a reason to come here. Get drafted and play in the league. Tj Jones, Riddick, Eq, etc

You actually said, why would any offensive playmakers come here.

I named 7off playmakers that got drafted in first 2 rounds.

Many other off players got drafted. That's a reason to come here. Get drafted and play in the league. Tj Jones, Riddick, Eq, etc
Again...

F
O
A L O N G
P L E A S E
O
W

You named players with majority being tight ends.

Did they stretch the field?
N
O

Will Fuller stretched the field. One player in a decade?

Lenzy is one...but he doesn't get to play until he turns 27 years old.

Dexter was one...but he wasn't allowed to play because well...apparently he couldn't remember a blocking assignment. Amazing how he's smart enough to get in the school that y'all say doesn't accept anyone but future heart surgeons but too stupid to remember a blocking assignment.

See BK doesn't get the perimeter players needed to succeed on the grand stage and when he does he refuses to play them until he's good and god damn ready to put them in.

BK...the king of the pipe dream.

Will Fuller is probably one of the best field stretchers in college football history

Chase Claypool was a field stretcher but had 2 qbs who couldn't throw accurately down field.

Michael floyd stretched the field, but they didn't run it a ton because he always had safety help over the top. Chase was very similar in how teams covered him.

No argument there

I'd take him. Good football player but was not a field stretching receiver. Not elite quickness.

Similar to Chase. Big body, great hands..better than Chase. Not elite speed.

He was a basket case

Great athleticism. Did BK play him immediately? Nope. Another top athlete spectating immediately.
Then what happened?

Lenzy could be but this will depend on Book and the philosophy. If we continue living on the 3 yard curl route and sit diwn...nope.
If we get Lenzy in space he will help drastically

No matter how you slice it it's wrong. Not enough explosive material and when given the material BK won't allow them to have meaningful participation for 2 years.
The scheme is wrong and the recruiting is lackluster

But hey...we got a good line coming back.

Again...

F
O
A L O N G
P L E A S E
O
W

You named players with majority being tight ends.

Did they stretch the field?
N
O

Will Fuller stretched the field. One player in a decade?

Lenzy is one...but he doesn't get to play until he turns 27 years old.

Dexter was one...but he wasn't allowed to play because well...apparently he couldn't remember a blocking assignment. Amazing how he's smart enough to get in the school that y'all say doesn't accept anyone but future heart surgeons but too stupid to remember a blocking assignment.

See BK doesn't get the perimeter players needed to succeed on the grand stage and when he does he refuses to play them until he's good and god damn ready to put them in.

BK...the king of the pipe dream.
Just going by what you said. Offensive playmakers. They were all off playmakers. Great reason to come here, get to the league

Reactions: sluggo69

No argument there

I'd take him. Good football player but was not a field stretching receiver. Not elite quickness.

Similar to Chase. Big body, great hands..better than Chase. Not elite speed.

He was a basket case

Great athleticism. Did BK play him immediately? Nope. Another top athlete spectating immediately.
Then what happened?

Lenzy could be but this will depend on Book and the philosophy. If we continue living on the 3 yard curl route and sit diwn...nope.
If we get Lenzy in space he will help drastically

No matter how you slice it it's wrong. Not enough explosive material and when given the material BK won't allow them to have meaningful participation for 2 years.
The scheme is wrong and the recruiting is lackluster

But hey...we got a good line coming back.
Stepherson played his frosh year.

Not sure what you call elite speed, low 4.4 speed is elite, and that is Floyd and Chase. If you think Sub 4.4 is elite, ok, but there's only a couple in the draft every year. ND's problem is they haven't had a QB who can throw the deep ball other than Kizer. WR at ND has not been the problem.

If Kizer had been the QB last year my lord with Chase and Boykin out wide. Both actually could stretch it but Book couldn't and wouldn't even attempt down field throws to the field side.

Reactions: Golson5

Not sure what you call elite speed, low 4.4 speed is elite, and that is Floyd and Chase. If you think Sub 4.4 is elite, ok, but there's only a couple in the draft every year. ND's problem is they haven't had a QB who can throw the deep ball other than Kizer. WR at ND has not been the problem.

If Kizer had been the QB last year my lord with Chase and Boykin out wide. Both actually could stretch it but Book couldn't and wouldn't even attempt down field throws to the field side.
Fuller stepherson Floyd Boykin Claypool Jones EQ could all run. WR is not the problem

Reactions: tbonesays

We can differ on how to get there but regardless what's being implemented is wrong.

I'm not sure how you can defend 3 points in a playoff game or other drubbings that have become the BK staple.

It's great playing the weak. It's a whim and a prayer against the strong.

We can differ on how to get there but regardless what's being implemented is wrong.

I'm not sure how you can defend 3 points in a playoff game or other drubbings that have become the BK staple.

It's great playing the weak. It's a whim and a prayer against the strong.
You just changed narrative. I don’t support the 3 points. That’s on the coaches and then book. D was ready for the game, offense was not, mostly book. Wimbush should have went in starting second quarter when it was clear book was not ready mentally. Or at minimum second half.

“You just changed narrative. I don’t support the 3 points. That’s on the coaches and then book. D was ready for the game, offense was not, mostly book. Wimbush should have went in starting second quarter when it was clear book was not ready mentally. Or at minimum second half.”

More hogwash. Several drops (at least 5 and most at critical times) and no semblance of a running game did us in. Still pining for wimbush. Lol

Fuller stepherson Floyd Boykin Claypool Jones EQ could all run. WR is not the problem
Did I say WR?

I said perimeter playmakers.

Does Dexter qualify as that? Most certainly. Slot, out wide...it doesn't matter. Are they explosive? Yes or no?

Fuller, yes
Stepherson, yes.
Dexter, yes.

Those three can play with anyone on the oerim
You just changed narrative. I don’t support the 3 points. That’s on the coaches and then book. D was ready for the game, offense was not, mostly book. Wimbush should have went in starting second quarter when it was clear book was not ready mentally. Or at minimum second half.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda

It's the same old song with BK on the grand stage.

Lopsided result. That's the pattern.

Is Book the player, recruiter, coordinator and head coach?
Nope

Another big moment game with the opposition being serious and efficient in preparation.

BK is seriously inefficient and ineffective.

Every

Single

Time

He's not a good coach and made his hay by exploiting the rules. I applaud that because he used a system to catch teams by surprise with his hurry up no huddle offense. Cinci if nothing else was fun to watch. They were high paced hurry up and snap the ball before anyone else was really doing that.

Now....everyone does that. Where's his edge? Where's the advantage he can use for victories?
Gone. He doesn't have one now. Everyone goes no huddle and hurry up.

Now we go no huddle but we don't hurry up. We play lazy and uninspired. Walking to the LOS...looking to score 30 points.
Other teams want 30 by the middle of the second quarter.

In other words BK has to actually out coach the opposition now. Pull the sleeves up and out scheme, out motivate, etc..

Hence why we get shellacked playing in a major post season game. They're ready and we're just happy to get there.

Its

A

Joke

Did I say WR?

Does Dexter qualify as that? Most certainly. Slot, out wide...it doesn't matter. Are they explosive? Yes or no?

Fuller, yes
Stepherson, yes.
Dexter, yes.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Dexter was never a field stretcher. Good vision and could make a guy miss. Average speed. It's a shame it took him nearly 4 years to realize that hard work can pay off. He cheated all ND fans.

Reactions: Pennick4
Did I say WR?

Fuller, yes
Stepherson, yes.
Dexter, yes.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

You said offensive playmakers. I named a bunch. Didnt even mention Prosise and Adams. Off playmakers is not the problem

From an outsiders perspective I would definitely get the Lenzy kid involved he is the type of player that changes games because it only takes him 1 play to change the scoreboard. That’s the reason I came over to ask about him. I was looking at different players and he came up and he was a wow guy. As he becomes more polished I’d expect him to be the number 1 if he isn’t already going to be

ADVERTISEMENT