ADVERTISEMENT

Book w Dexter all week preparing for Stanford

week to week you never know what to expect & its tough playing at Oregon. Had people watched us vs Ball St. they'd never thinking we were good at all. Shaw hates ND and will have them ready to play. And until we show we can beat them, I dont feel confident at all.

Stanford looked much better in second half. Oregon made some questionable decissions and errors to let the Trees back in the game.

Stanfords receivers loik huge. Not necessarily fast but make good moves and catch balls using their height and big bodies.

Lets HOPE bk/Long get Dexter the ball. Remember last year when Dexter got the ball ONE time against Georgia? He wasn't hurt that game either echoboy/pendick44 and the other bk apologists.

dexter is gonna look like he’s fired out of a cannon running the ball next week. You think this offense looked explosive today just wait. My gut right now says we take this momentum and build on it w a good win against Stanford.
We shall see how many carries he'll earn in practice this week.

Stanford is good I do not think they are as good as Michigan. There D is not there. There offense is going to be dangerous with those large receivers and Love. Hopefully our offense is as good as it was against Wake.

I look for a rough game that hopefully we can pull out. That back for Oregon handed them the game at the end with that silly fumble.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Stanford looked much better in second half. Oregon made some questionable decissions and errors to let the Trees back in the game.

Stanfords receivers loik huge. Not necessarily fast but make good moves and catch balls using their height and big bodies.
Can we get our 5* Hamilton to play on Sunday? ;)

Stanford is good I do not think they are as good as Michigan. There D is not there. There offense is going to be dangerous with those large receivers and Love. Hopefully our offense is as good as it was against Wake.

Their defense isn't as good as Michigan's but they'll play their hearts out because they're playing Notre Dame. Their offense, however, is much more functional than Michigan's was in game one. Costello has way more weapons at his disposal than Patterson did when ND played them and he's much more comfortable in Shaw's system than Patterson was in Harbaugh's when we played the Wolverines. Smith and Parkinson are better than anything Michigan has at tight end. Arcega-Whiteside is a better football player than Peoples-Jones, even if star rating and upside don't reflect that. Irwin is a huge pain in the ass against Notre Dame and Osiris St. Brown gives them a nice speed player in the slot when they've put teams to sleep with heavy sets, a healthy dose of Bryce Love and obnoxious jump ball, after jump ball.

I can see them scoring between 27-34 points in this game... Costello just knows what he's doing and ND's pressures never seem to get home enough against Stanford.

This is will be a nailbiter.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Costello looked pretty vulnerable in the pocket for the first half last night. (My wife made me turn off football and watch The Book Club, I had been watching since 9AM.) Costello didn't look mobile at all. Our d-line is better than O's right? And we have better backers, that is sure. Gonna be a dogfight. No turnovers. Special teams need to play like they did yesterday. IIO-- how do you stop the jump balls? Stick someone big on their receivers at the line and really jam 'em? Throw off the timing. Blitz?

I'm a basketball guy. Just looking for some analysis from the football coaches out there. I've watched a lot of football over the years but only played until 9th grade and never coached. So excuuuuuuuuuse me! Used to be okay when a person admitted he or she didn't know something and asked a question of an expert. Guess that doesn't fly in today's culture -- just pretend you know everything and keep texting like the Kardashians..

I'm a basketball guy. Just looking for some analysis from the football coaches out there. I've watched a lot of football over the years but only played until 9th grade and never coached. So excuuuuuuuuuse me! Used to be okay when a person admitted he or she didn't know something and asked a question of an expert. Guess that doesn't fly in today's culture -- just pretend you know everything and keep texting like the Kardashians..
Not sure who you were responding to. Thought you had a solid post.

Sorry if I seemed defensive, must've misread the post. Still interested in an answer?!
Hey, good news from Kelly on Dexter: "Dexter's been doing well, if he continues to have the kind of week that he's had the last few weeks, I would expect that he would be able to do something for us this week."

Sorry if I seemed defensive, must've misread the post. Still interested in an answer?!
Hey, good news from Kelly on Dexter: "Dexter's been doing well, if he continues to have the kind of week that he's had the last few weeks, I would expect that he would be able to do something for us this week."
Right, like both QB's were going to play yesterday. Dexter got one carry last year against GA. I wouldn't trust anything bk says

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Lets HOPE bk/Long get Dexter the ball. Remember last year when Dexter got the ball ONE time against Georgia? He wasn't hurt that game either echoboy/pendick44 and the other bk apologists.

He'll touch the ball less than 5x, and that's almost exactly what he's earned.

He has to prove he's actually interested in playing a whole game, which he's literally never done.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't touch the ball at all.

Their defense isn't as good as Michigan's but they'll play their hearts out because they're playing Notre Dame. Their offense, however, is much more functional than Michigan's was in game one. Costello has way more weapons at his disposal than Patterson did when ND played them and he's much more comfortable in Shaw's system than Patterson was in Harbaugh's when we played the Wolverines. Smith and Parkinson are better than anything Michigan has at tight end. Arcega-Whiteside is a better football player than Peoples-Jones, even if star rating and upside don't reflect that. Irwin is a huge pain in the ass against Notre Dame and Osiris St. Brown gives them a nice speed player in the slot when they've put teams to sleep with heavy sets, a healthy dose of Bryce Love and obnoxious jump ball, after jump ball.

I can see them scoring between 27-34 points in this game... Costello just knows what he's doing and ND's pressures never seem to get home enough against Stanford.

This is dead on. Great post. Now I’m gonna go throw up. Seriously makes my stomach turn thinking about it. God I hate Stanford. Smug A Holes.

He'll touch the ball less than 5x, and that's almost exactly what he's earned.

He has to prove he's actually interested in playing a whole game, which he's literally never done.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't touch the ball at all.
How do you know what hes earned?

When was the last time Stanford scored 27 points at ND? Luck in 2010? The last 3 times at ND they've scored 17, 14, 13. Shaw does not want this to be a high scoring game, they obviously can if they have to. If ND D plays Typical and our O doesn't have any major turnovers that hand them points I would expect 17-24.

But like you said, the jump ball will be critical. If ND can get pressure and play solid against the jump ball our D can do really really well. If we don't get pressure, and struggle against the jump ball they can score more than 24. I'm confident our line will be able to get more pressure then we have since 2012, plus home, at night.

Last edited:
Right, like both QB's were going to play yesterday. Dexter got one carry last year against GA. I wouldn't trust anything bk says
Yep, I could see 10, 5, or 0. Armstrong looked like an NFL caliber RB vs Wake. Speed, vision, tackle breaking, pad level, finishing off runs, etc. I'm still not confident in davis, he isn't an elite athlete yet he dances around and doesn't finish his runs. Ideally i'd like to see Armstrong be the lead back, spelled by Jones, and Dex/Wimbush take Davis carriers. As the season progresses I'd like to see a 1-2 punch of Dex and Armstrong with Tony being the late game closer.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Yep, I could see 10, 5, or 0. Armstrong looked like an NFL caliber RB vs Wake. Speed, vision, tackle breaking, pad level, finishing off runs, etc. I'm still not confident in davis, he isn't an elite athlete yet he dances around and doesn't finish his runs. Ideally i'd like to see Armstrong be the lead back, spelled by Jones, and Dex/Wimbush take Davis carriers. As the season progresses I'd like to see a 1-2 punch of Dex and Armstrong with Tony being the late game closer.
some here think he should just get the bulk of the carries regardless of anything else. dumb, just dumb.

Reactions: Kelso86
some here think he should just get the bulk of the carries regardless of anything else. dumb, just dumb.
I want him to eat into jones/davis reps. By all accounts he's been a great teammate on and off the field, and doing well in practice. Stepherson came in and played right away and I think he had way more issues than Dex, so I have hope he's earned the ability to play a good bit of meaningful snaps vs stanford. I love that he is fresh, and all our backs really should be, but with that he has to control his emotions and aggressiveness and make sure he executes since he will be so pumped up. I'd bring him in the first second you see the offense stalling the tinniest bit. Crowd will go nuts.

I want him to eat into jones/davis reps. By all accounts he's been a great teammate on and off the field, and doing well in practice. Stepherson came in and played right away and I think he had way more issues than Dex, so I have hope he's earned the ability to play a good bit of meaningful snaps vs stanford. I love that he is fresh, and all our backs really should be, but with that he has to control his emotions and aggressiveness and make sure he executes since he will be so pumped up. I'd bring him in the first second you see the offense stalling the tinniest bit. Crowd will go nuts.
i just hope he's earned his time.

He could eat into Davis's reps, but he hasn't even come close to showing he should get any of Jones's.

Williams needs to show that he's not a total liability in all phases of the game other than "what happens after he's been handed the ball on a called run play"

It would be great if he could eventually work himself into a 1(c) role, with Armstrong/Jones as 1(a)/1(b), giving us a truly nice rotation at RB
(with Davis then added onto that, as more of a "bit player")

Anyone else feel like Davis should be in the slot? Seems like a better fit for him and potentially a good replacement for Finke next year.

Anyone else feel like Davis should be in the slot? Seems like a better fit for him and potentially a good replacement for Finke next year.

Finke has eligibility through 2019, and it's hard to see him leaving early.

Between Finke, Young, and Keys, our Slot position looks pretty well stocked
(plus some "pitch in" from RBs like Davis and Armstrong)

comprehension still not your strong suit i see. i posted that his practice this week will likely determine if and how much he plays this week. please try to keep up.
Hey dipshit I asked Friedman the question because he said Dexter would get the ball 5x this week because that's what he earned. I asked how he would know this. Comprende

His suspension made that pretty clear.

As has his unwillingness to improve in key areas, such as pass blocking, route running, etc.
Oh really? I didn't notice in the first four games that his pass blocking hasn't improved. Im sure he doesn't want to improve or try to. Are you fricking serious

Dexter has never had more than 8 carries in a game and is coming off a four game suspension. Im sure he will get some carries, but i dont see his carry total increasing with the way jafar and jones are running.

ADVERTISEMENT